Fights That Shouldn't Have Ended

JWGunslinger

Warrior Forever
Nothing sucks more than a fight that is ended because of an injury or DQ, there have been so many entertaining fights and high profile fights that got called right as we were getting into them. If you could pick one out of the bunch that was personally the hardest for you or in your opinion the worst stoppage that you wish you could undo which would it be? It could be a justified stoppage that ended a great fight or a stupid finish that marred a fighter's record(ex.Jones-Hammil).

For me there are alot that come to mind but the number one in my mind is the infamous eye poke at UFC 46 between Vitor Belfort and Randy Couture for the UFC Light Heavyweight title. Their first fight was not only a big upset win for Couture when the young Belfort was riding a wave of hype but it was a great fight, and when the rematch for the title came about everyone had high expectations. However when the main event rolled around the hopes of a war went right out the window when Randy's eye was grazed by Vitor's glove less than a minute into the first frame, ending the title fight in a lackluster doctor stoppage and the title going to Belfort. Nobody was happy with the way that fight ended, the saddest thing about it wasnt Couture losing the belt but seeing the look of disappointment in Vitor's eyes. He didnt even want to celebrate after winning the sport's most coveted prize because it didnt happen the way he wanted, or the way that everyone wanted it to happen. That fight could have been so much more and fortunatly the rematch happened two PPV's later and it was a great fight but Randy could have gone without a loss or Vitor could have notched up a great win had this not happened.

Well now it's your turn boys, what fight would you go back and change?

I agree with you about Couture/Belfort II but unfortunately that cut on Randy's eye was gnarly and really did constitute the stoppage. It would have been interesting to see how that fight would have gone because Vitor had nothing to lose. His sister had just died and he was fighting on pure emotion. You could tell he was a different fighter in that one, and yet we will never know if he truly could have beaten Randy on that night definitively.

The fight I think I would have most enjoyed seeing continued would probably be Diaz/Noons I. I really don't believe that cut should have warranted a stop because Diaz could still see and the fight was incredibly important. Granted this was back when I really hated Diaz as a person, and thought he was a whiny bitch, in retrospect he had every right to be irate about that stoppage. The cut could have gotten worse further in the fight, but it was much too early and the cut wasn't negatively effecting Diaz. It should have continued, and even though it took a few years I am glad the rematch did eventually happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back