• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fifa 09

OIL

Championship Contender
It has been stated in an interview with David Rutter, the Line Producer of the game, that there are 250 improvements on the game.

Among the improvements in the new FIFA are improved responsiveness that allows for quicker release of the ball, greater urgency in the off-the-ball running, a new jostle system that takes into account the strength of the players when going shoulder to shoulder and subtle animations that enable players to take first-time shots.

Another of the 09 edition's biggest changes is a completely revamped collision system, which calculates speed, weight and power when the players collide, as each player will have their own individual strength and power stats depending on their body characteristics. These characteristics will be depicted as is in real life.

New goalkeeper technology with goalkeepers having better positioning, better reactions to saves and faster recovery after a save has been made.

Another improvement from FIFA 08 is the weather and time. Rain can be switched on and off before games, which affects whether players wear gloves and have their socks left high up their legs. Games can be played during daytime, night and dusk, however in the latest installment the game eventually turns to night as the second half starts. In manager mode, European games are played at night, and stadiums for finals are more accurate (the FA Cup final is at Wembley).

Also, if a player is substituted during half time, then the player is seen warming up and running on to the pitch. However if a substitution is made during play, then the players are seen approaching each other. The score of the game has an effect on this, if a player has scored then he waves to the fans before being substituted, however some players react badly to being substituted, and captains throw their armband to the floor. Captains have more of an effect in this team. The player is advised to choose a squad member who has good captain qualities, for example leadership. Captains are seen in most of the cut scenes arguing to the referee or encouraging his teammates.

FIFA 09 will also include a '10 vs. 10' Be A Pro online game and the offline Be A Pro Mode will last for 4 seasons.

FIFA 09 will also feature user-controlled player celebrations, like in UEFA Euro 2008, for the first time.

In a statement on the games' official website, it has been stated that the game has been 'regionalised in exact detail' with crowds, stadium atmosphere and commentary, all updated. It was also here confirmed that, for the first time in the series, linesmen and a referee would be seen and moving with the play on the pitch.

Personally, I think this game sounds amazing. So many needed changes have been made, which should make for a very good game. I'm glad they've improved stadium atmosphere, because it was pants before. It was just so quiet, didn't feel like a proper football match, when the crowd usually sing throughout.

Also, the new collision system sounds awesome. Finally, SWP won't beat Vidic for a header. Not that he ever could..

What do you guys think about this?

I think the improvements are good news as it sometimes it was ridiculous how the keepers were easy to score past and I'm glad that Wembley will host the finals for English competitions as it was stupid playing against Southampton in the League Cup final and have it being played in a division 1 style stadium

I think the FIFA series is the best in sports video games. Any improvements just make it that much better than it already was. I am especially excited about improvements around the goal. The jostle system has been shit for a while, and the keepers have been to slow. It got to the point where scoring was way too easy.

I have to give EA sports credit, as each year's game, in all sports, is always more realistic than the last.

I think the improvements are good news as it sometimes it was ridiculous how the keepers were easy to score past and I'm glad that Wembley will host the finals for English competitions as it was stupid playing against Southampton in the League Cup final and have it being played in a division 1 style stadium

Yeah. Beating the keeper was so easy, I was winning every match by around 4 or 5 goals. Sometimes 'cause it was so easy i'd just stop playing. It was just plain annoying. Even if the ball was right next to them they'd still miss it. And sometimes when you smack the ball at 'em, he palms it away and into the goal. It was just annoying.

You got a PS3? When I get mine soon I'll give you a game. :)

I think the FIFA series is the best in sports video games. Any improvements just make it that much better than it already was. I am especially excited about improvements around the goal. The jostle system has been shit for a while, and the keepers have been to slow. It got to the point where scoring was way too easy.

I have to give EA sports credit, as each year's game, in all sports, is always more realistic than the last.

You are right, but, FIFA 08 was a pile of shit. There were no improvements and it was just awful in comparison to 07. I was better off sticking with 07 if I'm being honest..

Ok,Fifa 09...ok Fifa 09 I have not yet played but ive heared its good but... also bad. I would say to the managing director of Fifa make the croud more 3D or at least more life like,then I would invest in this product.:twocents:

I buy 1 Football game a year - Pro Evo or FIFA, and for the past 5 years I have got PES, the game has just excelled, and I have played Demos, read reviews and all the testing methods before I buy, maybe I am a bit of a Konami fanboy when it comes to games, but I have always felt that PES is a much stronger game.

However, I was reading the FIFA 09 Review in the Offical PS Magazine, and this one is intriguing, the new physics seem to add dimension to the game, the ball is independant to the players, so we have no more "sticking" effect, which has always made every sport game feel fake. Not to mention, goals should be different, both in how often you score, and in the manner you score them - Now there is the feeling you can create from anywhere and everywhere, but it is all about chance, gambling etc. I think they have had to improve their game this year, the PS3 has just about overtaken the 360 in terms of games now, and it should keep improving, so it's a big time in console gaming, they had to make a good game for the next FIFA game, as last year both were not too great.

I'm still pending on PES and how that is critically acclaimed, but it would certainly be interesting to see how they counter the online mode aswell as the new, innovative style of FIFA, of course, Konami has always come up trumps, even if they have played it a little safe after gaining a sufficient lead, but now it seems they have been caught up, and they need to make sure their game is the one that is selling, whether they can do it - Im not sure, ill be happy to wait and see how it all unfolds though.

I have played the Fifa 09 demo for 360, and it's..well, pretty much the most improved sportsgame since NHL.. 07?

The gameplay is just not the same anymore, it has changed completely, and you can feel it right after kickoff. They've added so many animations it's ridiculous.
You remember how you sometimes yelled "SHOOT" at the tv waiting for your player to actually shoot or pass the ball? That's gone.

Big player like Drogba are actually incredibly usefull now, thanks to the new physics. You hustle for the header, squeeze your way through defenders and make pinpoint accurate dribbles inside the penalty area.

It's truly an amazing improvement, and the AI is 5 times better.

It's a sure purchase for me.

I aren't huge on playing games for too long, but this is one I feel I will be able to for hours. I think this will be hugely fast-selling, and I have heard a lot of hype for it. Football games are easily the fastest improving of any I've seen, if you play one from 3 years ago it is so vastly different to one from now that it's hard to get your head around.

I'm also excited about the stadiums being very clear, apparently. It will be a good thing to see where they're playing and the crowd reations which are supposed to be almost perfectly matched.

I play Pro evo at work but I have Fifa 08 on the Wii and I have to say its rubbish and rushed. ..

Premier Teams start in the first round of the FA cup (and league cup)

There is no career mode

the interactive league has finished and now it sits there doing nothing

the game is ridiculasly easy

Goal-mouth scrambles are a nightmare as you continually shake the controller to no avail and the goalies were either rubbish or unbeatable - ugh

I hope they basically go back to the drawing board for 09 on the wii

are there any reviews out for it yet?

So I got Fifa 09 for the 360, and it's awesome. By far the best Fifa - and the best football game - to ever be released. They finally nailed the realism. Pro Evo just isn't up to the task anymore.

Don't take this as blind Fifa fanboy talk, I freaking HATED Fifa 00/01/02/03/04/05/06, 07 started getting better, so did 08, but 09 changed everything. Back in the PS2 days I was a Pro Evo fan, but now, Fifa is on top, by far. Pro Evo just feels dated and sluggish now. Just try the demos on Live if you can, there's one for each.

Now back to playing more Fifa, go Stoke go!

I played this yesterday round my mate's house and the game is just fantastic. The graphics and gameplay are top class and you can now do your own celebrations after scoring a goal using the right anolog stick. In terms of realism and gameplay, I feel this is the best football game to date

I've only played the Be A Pro mode so far, and I love it! It took me a little while to get a hang of it and figure out whats the best way to score and break away, and man once you figure it out you'll be having a blast improving your player. I love the camera angle they use too. So far Be A Pro is excellent, so it maybe awhile before I play a typical game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back