Fedor vs. Josh Barnett back on again?

jmt225

Global Moderator
Ever since the fold of Affliction, mixed martial arts fans have been wondering if the bout between #1 ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (31-1) and top five contender Josh Barnett (24-5) would ever take place. Sources close to DREAM have informed MMA R**** that Barnett will sign with DREAM and that Strikeforce and M-1 will indeed cross promote with FEG to deliver the epic matchup we’ve all been waiting for.

The bout between Fedor and Barnett is tentatively scheduled for February of 2010, but no official date has been confirmed.

Hmmm... not so sure how I feel about this.

I mean, honestly... if Strikeforce wants to do a cross promotion fight with DREAM, then shit... work out Fedor vs. Overeem, which is what everyone, including myself, really wants to see.

Fedor vs. Barnett interested me once upon a time, but the more I think about it... the more I feel this would be a big mistake on Strikeforce's part to put this fight back on. Honestly, it makes the company look bad to put their biggest name against someone who needs to fight in Japan, because he failed a steroid test in the states last time he was schedule to fight. Seriously, doesn't that seem stupid to anyone else?

Also, while Barnett would be Fedor's toughest fight in quite some time, with so much time off and what not, I'm not so sure how he'll do. And I'd also be worried about Barnett trying to lay 'n pray on Fedor as well, which would suck.

But how do you feel? Is this a fight you want to see, no matter what the circumstances are, or do you agree with me that it's not such a good idea?

Yeah, I'm way more interested in seeing Fedor vs. Overeem for the Strikeforce Heavyweight Title, especially when I think Overeem could very well beat Fedor defending the title and shock everyone. I don't know why they're having a hard time booking Overeem when he is their Heavyweight Champion.

I think Fedor vs. Barnett could be interesting just over the fact that it could be the first time we see Fedor act like more than just The Terminator in a fight. Fedor has to still be very upset at Barnett for getting caught with steroids and as the story goes, Fedor didn't even know about it until he landed in America. I think Fedor wants this fight because he has unfinished business with Barnett, and as far as I'm concerned, it's still a fight that intrigued me a few months ago and still intrigues me now... especially when Fedor could be fighting with emotion here.

Like you guys I would much rather watch Fedor challenge Overeem for the Strikeforce belt then watch him fight some ring rusted, juicer. Josh Barnett had his chance but was stupid trying to jack him self up with steroids for that extra advantage a few days before the fight with Fedor and getting caught. At the time I thought that fight was going to be awesome. Finally, Fedor was actually going to fight some top competition but now when I think back on it, it just would have been another former UFC champion getting their ass handed to them by The Last Emperor. As much as I would like to see Fedor rip Barnetts steroid filled arm off its time for him to move on to a championship match against a much more capable opponent in my opinion. Fedor vs. Overeem will be much better then Fedor vs. Barnett.

Don't see why we can't just get Fedor vs Overeem. Like really common guys... They keep putting it off with these little fights. This fight while it would be Fedor's toughest challenge in a while would still end the same with Fedor coming out the winner. I lost all respect for Barnett after the steroid bust, and I really hate him as a fighter because of it. I feel it is a slap in the face to legit fighters such as Fedor who are legit and don't need drugs to dominate.

I disagree with you JMT that Barnett would lay and pray on Fedor because frankly I don't believe Fedor would let that happen. I believe hes to good to fall for that. This fight would end like all the other fights of Fedor do. Where he either knocked Barnett the fuck out or made him tap. Now give us Fedor vs Overeem instead!

I'm really not that excited for that fight, or the Overeem fight as well for that matter. Overeem against Fedor would be an absolute slaughter, the only people that are semi-good that he has put away in a while were Vitor and Buentello. Right now I'd rather see Fedor go up against Werdum, as both Overeem and Barnett really aren't deserving of the fight at this time, with Overeem's ducking of title defenses it seems and Barnett's third dirty piss test.

Well I'm not too crazy about seeing Fedor fight either Werdum or Overeem. I was so pissed off when I heard about the cancellation of the Fedor/Barnett fight at Affliction Trilogy. I don't care where the fight takes place, I just wanna see Fedor vs Josh Barnett. In my opinion he is the only real threat to Fedor outside of the UFC.

I'd still love to see the fight, steroid allegations or not. If it has to be in Japan, that's fine by me as well. Let Barnett juice. I don't think it'll make a difference. At least HDNet will broadcast it. Barnett is still a ranked HW and has put up showings in the last couple of years that don't show him to be a complete write-off like some would believe. I still think he's the same guy who pushed Nog to the limit and Nog is still regarded as a top heavy in the UFC (especially if you ask their PR machine). That's not to say that I wouldn't like to see Fedor fight Overeem, either. Or Barnett fight Overeem. I'm okay with any of those fights taking place. I just hope they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back