Fedor Retires

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Source

Fedor Emelianenko announced his retirement today after his knockout win over Pedro Rizzo in St. Petersburg, Russia today.

The longtime Pride champion who was considered the top heavyweight in the world for many years, knocked Rizzo down hard on the first solid punch that connected and finished quickly with punches on the ground in just 44 seconds.

After the fight, he said he had made his final decisoin that he was leaving the sport becuase he was tired of being away from his family and wanted to spend more time raising his daughters. He said his retiring was God's will, but didn't completely close the door noting that he doesn't know what the future will hold.

Emelianenko was the sport's top heavyweight from his 2003 win over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira until a time frame that can be debated. His biggest career win, over Mirko Cro Cop, was in 2005, but he didn't lose a fight until a 2010 loss to Fabricio Werdum in San Jose.

From what I understand he's arguably the best ever period, but he's slipped a lot in recent years. He never fought in the UFC but he fought in PRIDE in Japan and dominated over there against top competition.

Thoughts on this?

I am upset to see Fedor go, but I can totally understand his reasoning.
That is one difficult aspect of the sports entertainment department; you spend a lot of time AWAY from your loved ones.
If he feels it is God's will for him to retire, then retire he shall. Can't criticize a man for his faith influencing his decision.
And, yes, he has slipped recently, which IMO is another reason to retire. Go ahead and leave while you are ahead.
And also IMO, it isn't even arguable. Fedor IS the best ever period.

I still want to see Couture vs Fedor. Shame that fight never happened.

I wouldn't call him the best ever period. He really fought some weak competition for a long time(Hong Man Choi, Zulu, Matt Lindland, Bret Rogers, Andre Arlovski, Tim Sylvia, Mark Hunt, Old Mark Coleman X2, and now Pedro Rizzo who should have retired 10 years ago). The beginning of his Pride Career was amazing. His two fights with Noguera were legendary. He was on track to be the GOAT, but he took a lot of easy fights later on. I wouldn't argue against him being the All Time Greatest Heavywieght, but not the GOAT.

Defenitely one of my all time favorite fighters though. Easily one of the best Heavywieghts of all time, and easily one of the most entertaining fighters of all time. He was one of the many reasons why Pride was the best.

Cro Cop vs Fedor is one of the greatest fights in MMA history.

I have never cared for for Fedor. I always considered him a punk for never wanting to fight Lesnar. But I respect his decision.

I think calling him the best ever is ill-informed. I mean, sure, he dominated over Pride and Japanese competition, and certainly was a great in the sport, but he never really fought top-level American opponents of the UFC, except for a few here and there (some of which he lost). If he had conquered them as well, then yeah, I'd agree, but he never did. On top of that, he certainly has fallen off the past few years. Not hugely, but enough to see he's declined, which isn't so bad due to his age, but still a point against him nonetheless. Due to those factors, I'd hesitate to crown him as the best ever. One of the greats, sure, I'd accept that. But he never proved himself to be unquestionably the best ever, as he never ventured into US competition very thoroughly.

Nobody is the best ever yet. The sport is way too young for that.

However, it's an indisputable fact that the man was the MMA Fighter of the Decade from 2000-2010, and for that, he should always be highly regarded. Anyone who has a ten year run like Fedor had should always be remembered as an all time great, much like someone like Rocky Marciano. During Marciano's decade of dominance he didn't defeat many household names, but that does not at all harm his legacy, nor should it Fedor's (even though people refuse to acknowledge that Fedor did beat the best of the best around during his run).

Anyways, if Fedor does indeed stay retired (I personally don't think he will), then I wish him the happiest and best life away from the sport imaginable, and if he decides to come back, I hope it's against a worth wild opponent and even if it isn't, I will look forward to it regardless because every time Fedor steps into that ring or cage, you are guaranteed a show.

However, it's an indisputable fact that the man was the MMA Fighter of the Decade from 2000-2010, and for that, he should always be highly regarded. Anyone who has a ten year run like Fedor had should always be remembered as an all time great, much like someone like Rocky Marciano. During Marciano's decade of dominance he didn't defeat many household names, but that does not at all harm his legacy, nor should it Fedor's (even though people refuse to acknowledge that Fedor did beat the best of the best around during his run

I will argue that. While yes Fedor did have some great fights lets break it down by the numbers.

From 2000 till 2010

Total Fights: 29

Wins: 27

Losses: 1

No Contests: 1

Wins Against Top Competion: 12

Losses Against Top Competion: 1

NC Against Top Competion: 1

That means 15 of his wins during that period were against scrubs or fighters well past their prime. I will give you that from 2002 until 2005 Fedor was the top Heavy weight in the world, but those 3 years were the only period that he was fighting the top guys in the world.

All that aside I do agree that Fedor is a legend in the sport and should always be remembered as such, but he should never be spoken about in a conversation for GOAT, not when you have the likes of Anderson Silva and GSP still active and fighting the top guys in their weight class in the world, and dominating them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back