Fedor not fighting Ricco Rodriguez

Marquis

SAN JOSE, Calif. – While the discussion surrounding Fedor Emelianenko slowed just briefly as Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos and Gina Carano took center stage for Strikeforce on Saturday night at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., it didn't take long for the talk to begin again.

At the evening's post-event press conference, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said the Russian's debut for the organization is likely to take place in November.

As for "The Last Emperor's" opponent, Coker could not say who it would be – only who it wouldn't.

"It's probably going to be in November," Coker said of Emelianenko's organizational debut. "I definitely think there's two guys here that would be a quality opponent for Fedor.

"I think Brett Rogers is one of the guys we have to take a serious look at. And Fabricio (Werdum) looked great tonight. I think on any given day he could do his thing."

So the undefeated Rogers, who last fought in a 22-second destruction of Andrei Arlovski in June, and submission ace Werdum, who needed just 1:24 to dispatch of Mike Kyle on Saturday night, would appear to be the leading candidates to welcome Emelianenko on to Showtime.

And while Coker declined to declare either fighter a sure thing, he was quick to dismiss the rumors that Ricco Rodriguez would be taking the bout.

"That was never even talked about," Coker said.

The likely November date is in direct contrast with the Oct. 10 target Showtime senior vice president Ken Hershman recently shared with AOL FanHouse. But Coker seemed comfortable with the November event while considering his organization's upcoming schedule as a whole.

"We'll have three 'Challengers' fights (this fall)," Coker said. "We'll have September, then we're going to have October, then we're going to have November. Then the big fights are going to be the Fedor fight, and then we'll do one more before the end of the year."

The September show has already been announced, as Tim Kennedy and Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos will headline a "Challengers Series" event in Bixby, Okla. The remaining dates have yet to be finalized, and Coker said both dates and locations are still being determined for the events.

But Coker's tentative plan would call for two shows each in November and December, an idea the Strikeforce exec didn't seem to mind.

"Some of these months we're going to be doing more than one show," Coker told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Next year we're going to be even busier. We're probably doing 18 to 20 fights."

Coker said approximately 16 of those shows would appear on Showtime, leaving another two-to-four shows for the organization to use in a long-rumored slot on CBS or as a long-promised pay-per-view event.

While Coker could not elaborate on those plans, he did promise to utilize his new partners in M-1 Global and DREAM to create some memorable cards.

"It's going to be interesting," Coker said. "You're going to see some amazing fights."

Taken from MMA junkie. Would you look at that Baconstrip? A fight with Ricco was never even mentioned. Those silly silly rumors.

Anyway, now that the rumor was put to rest, it now looks like Fedor will fight in November. I was expecting him to headline the October 10th event, but the question that came to mind was against who? If Roger's fights Overeem on the Oct 10th show, then who does that leave Fedor to fight that's credible? No one really, besides Werdum. Thus the reasoning for this push back. Since Werdum fought recently, even though he didn't get hurt, he is fighting fuckin Fedor. I'm sure he wants more then a month and a couple of days to prepare. So I see the reason for this push back being a fight with Werdum. I think if Fedor does go on to fight Werdum, and if he wins, he will most likely take on the loser of Roger's/Overeem, and after that the actual champion whether it be Roger's or Overeem. I think Coker want's it to play out as Fedor beating Werdum, then beating Roger's after he loses to Overeem, then Overeem last. Since Overeem is the best match up Strikeforce has to offer Fedor.

So now that Fedor will not be fighting Ricco, who do you see Fedor's next opponent being? And what order do you think Fedor will fight SF's heavyweights?

Hmm... personally, I really hope his first opponent is Rogers. And I think it's quite possible.

Werdum... he would just get destroyed. That's a wasted fight to me. Let him win one or two more against real competition (perhaps a rematch against Arlovski wouldn't be such a bad idea), and then maybe a fight with Fedor would be worth seeing, maybe. But not right now.

So that leaves you with Brett Rogers, since Overeem is not an option at this point, since Strikeforce wants to build to a Overeem/Fedor fight. And I just think this is the best fight available for Fedor, Rogers, AND the fans. From Fedor's point of view, here's a guy in Rogers who is undefeated and vastly gaining a reputation as one of the hardest hitters in the sport, so of course it would be nice to be the first to defeat him, and Fedor certainly could and he knows he could. From Rogers point of view, why in the hell wouldn't you want the opportunity to fight the best ranked Heavyweight in the World? And from the fans point of view.... all Fedor's fights are amazing, but when he's in there with a slugger like Rogers, they become that much more amazing.

Seriously, Fedor vs. Rogers is the only option that makes sense. Overeem can fight anyone at this point, and unless it's Fedor... no one would really give a damn, and that includes Rogers. So, do a favor for the fans and give us what we want, which I'm pretty sure 95% of us would like to see Fedor vs. Rogers more than anything else if we can't get Fedor vs. Overeem.

I still don't think he's ever fighting Rogers. That has Fedor getting KTFO'd and dragging the whole kitten kaboodle down with him written all over it. Strikeforce already took a huge hit last night when Gina went down. They can't afford a Fedor loss on top of it. That would be endgame for Strikeforce.

I see him fighting Werdum next, and probably winning. After that he'll get some dude that they haven't signed yet (probably Bobby Lashley), and Barnett to end it when his suspension is up.

He will have succesfully avoided fighting anybody truly relevant yet again. His ranking in 2009 will still be wildly undeserved, but his best all time status will be fine.

It doesn't very much matter, though, by this time next year, Strikeforce will be be likely out of business and Fedor will be a free agent again, and will avoid the UFC and it's great fights to offer him and be back in Japan fighting freak shows. The whole slow build thing they were working quite successfully is now out the window, and bad business decisions are now ruling the roost. The whole thing reeks of EliteXC, and it's very saddening.

Seriously, Fedor vs. Rogers is the only option that makes sense. Overeem can fight anyone at this point, and unless it's Fedor... no one would really give a damn, and that includes Rogers. So, do a favor for the fans and give us what we want, which I'm pretty sure 95% of us would like to see Fedor vs. Rogers more than anything else if we can't get Fedor vs. Overeem.
While Roger's Vs. Fedor does interest me, I don't think it makes as much sense you think it does. If Roger's fights Fedor now, he's still a a untested prospect against top competition. His only notable win is a suicidal Arlovski. Strikeforce can have a star in Roger's if they build him right. Roger's is a huge slugger with a long reach and incredible KO power. Roger's is basically the type of fighter fans enjoy to see, a slugger. I think feeding him to the best of all time is not a smart move. Roger's stock would drop, and who knows where Roger's would be mentally. In my opinion they should build Roger's with at least one more win, a notable one, that way win or lose, Roger's is still seen as a top heavyweight instead of a prospect who lost to Fedor. It's win win if Roger's gets one more notable win before fighting Fedor. Roger proves he's a top heavyweight, and if he wins against Fedor solidifies his spot. If Fedor wins then he just beat another notable heavyweight.
and will avoid the UFC and it's great fights to offer him and be back in Japan fighting freak shows.
What freak shows? He's beaten Choi, Zulu, and Hunt already. If anything Japan would be a great move, we would definitely see him fight Overeem in japan since it would draw. Fedor is a huge name in Japan, and Overeem has fought in quite a few DREAM events and pride, while also recenetly competing and doing fuckin great in K-1 which the Japanese also love. Also no testing in Japan, so we have a damn good chance of seeing Fedor Vs. Barnett there also. Japan would be a great move for anyone who wants to see Overeem Vs. Fedor.

If Roger's fights Fedor now, he's still a a untested prospect against top competition. His only notable win is a suicidal Arlovski.

Agree, but most fans are buying into the hype.

Strikeforce can have a star in Roger's if they build him right.

I completely disagree here. Strikeforce needs to strike while the iron is hot. Rogers will be exposed very soon, and then all his potential will be gone, so why not have the person you're basically building your company around to be the person to first defeat him?

Roger's is a huge slugger with a long reach and incredible KO power.

Yes, but he's not technical, limited gas tank, and has yet to show if he has takedown defense or a ground game at all.

Roger's is basically the type of fighter fans enjoy to see, a slugger.

Exactly. Have him draw with Fedor, and then put his ass under the main event of big shows from that point on, so fans will then have more of a reason to watch. And if he starts to prove himself further and gets on another winning streak, then you have Fedor vs. Rogers 2.

I think feeding him to the best of all time is not a smart move. Roger's stock would drop, and who knows where Roger's would be mentally. In my opinion they should build Roger's with at least one more win, a notable one, that way win or lose, Roger's is still seen as a top heavyweight instead of a prospect who lost to Fedor.

Wait a second, how is there any shame in losing to someone like Fedor? Seriously, it's more of a risk to try and build Rogers up, because then there's the possibility of him losing to some no name. But losing to Fedor would be no big deal in the fans eyes, because he lost against the best in the World.

It's win win if Roger's gets one more notable win before fighting Fedor. Roger proves he's a top heavyweight, and if he wins against Fedor solidifies his spot. If Fedor wins then he just beat another notable heavyweight.

I don't know man; I just think it's too dangerous to put Rogers in there with someone else at this point. The fans believe now that he is the real deal. Look at Bacon Bits, he honestly believe Rogers would knock out Fedor, lol. And there are thousands of more like him at Sherdog and UG.

Secondly, there's no way Rogers defeats Fedor. No way. I would bet everything I have on that.

While Roger's Vs. Fedor does interest me, I don't think it makes as much sense you think it does. If Roger's fights Fedor now, he's still a a untested prospect against top competition. His only notable win is a suicidal Arlovski. Strikeforce can have a star in Roger's if they build him right. Roger's is a huge slugger with a long reach and incredible KO power. Roger's is basically the type of fighter fans enjoy to see, a slugger. I think feeding him to the best of all time is not a smart move. Roger's stock would drop, and who knows where Roger's would be mentally. In my opinion they should build Roger's with at least one more win, a notable one, that way win or lose, Roger's is still seen as a top heavyweight instead of a prospect who lost to Fedor. It's win win if Roger's gets one more notable win before fighting Fedor. Roger proves he's a top heavyweight, and if he wins against Fedor solidifies his spot. If Fedor wins then he just beat another notable heavyweight.

What freak shows? He's beaten Choi, Zulu, and Hunt already. If anything Japan would be a great move, we would definitely see him fight Overeem in japan since it would draw. Fedor is a huge name in Japan, and Overeem has fought in quite a few DREAM events and pride, while also recenetly competing and doing fuckin great in K-1 which the Japanese also love. Also no testing in Japan, so we have a damn good chance of seeing Fedor Vs. Barnett there also. Japan would be a great move for anyone who wants to see Overeem Vs. Fedor.

You named exactly two fights available to him in Japan that would be interesting. That's sad. Maybe Randy after his UFC deal is up too, but that's still unlikely. He'll end up getting fed dudes like Tank Abbot. Of course, the Japanese love those freak show fights as it is. I mean, they love them some Bob Sapp.

Japan honestly makes more sense for him anyways. He can earn for the company there. Here in the states, he is absolutely useless as a draw.

Agree, but most fans are buying into the hype.
Great, why not continue the hype and build like Coker would for the Overeem fight? All he can do is gain.
I completely disagree here. Strikeforce needs to strike while the iron is hot. Rogers will be exposed very soon, and then all his potential will be gone, so why not have the person you're basically building your company around to be the person to first defeat him?
Striking while the iron is hot is fine, but Roger's is untested still against top competition. If Fedor beats him people like Sherdogers would just turn around and dismiss Roger's quickly as not being a credible heavyweight.
Yes, but he's not technical, limited gas tank, and has yet to show if he has takedown defense or a ground game at all.
Exactly why I call him prospect. We have no idea where his ground game is at, and how long he can really last before he gasses to the point where he can't swing.
Exactly. Have him draw with Fedor, and then put his ass under the main event of big shows from that point on, so fans will then have more of a reason to watch. And if he starts to prove himself further and gets on another winning streak, then you have Fedor vs. Rogers 2.
But why not have him draw when he proves himself more? Strikeforce would just gain with the building. They gain a notable heavyweight, and Fedor beats someone worth more. Also looking into Fedor Vs. Rogers 2 is looking too far ahead for a company that can flop easily.
Wait a second, how is there any shame in losing to someone like Fedor? Seriously, it's more of a risk to try and build Rogers up, because then there's the possibility of him losing to some no name. But losing to Fedor would be no big deal in the fans eyes, because he lost against the best in the World.
It may be more of a risk for Roger's, but what about Fedor? He's getting in there with someone with KO power who's still really a prospect. At least if they build Roger's, Fedor has something to gain. What would Fedor really gain from a win over Roger's right now?
I don't know man; I just think it's too dangerous to put Rogers in there with someone else at this point. The fans believe now that he is the real deal. Look at Bacon Bits, he honestly believe Rogers would knock out Fedor, lol. And there are thousands of more like him at Sherdog and UG.
Bacon seems to believe a lot of things, like guaranteeing Fedor would fight Rico. It's because I know fans like people on the UG and Sherdog why I think they should build Roger's. Do you not see them quickly turning their backs on fighters and call them hacks when they lose? I'm sure you saw it during Forrest's lose. At least if Roger's gets one more notable win he has a argument for him that he is a top heavyweight.
Secondly, there's no way Rogers defeats Fedor. No way. I would bet everything I have on that.
Agreed.

You named exactly two fights available to him in Japan that would be interesting. That's sad. Maybe Randy after his UFC deal is up too, but that's still unlikely. He'll end up getting fed dudes like Tank Abbot. Of course, the Japanese love those freak show fights as it is. I mean, they love them some Bob Sapp.
Two credible fights is fine. One less then what Strikeforce has to offer him, so I don't see the big deal. Who Knows, Gegard has mentioned wanting to move up to heavyweight, we might see that match up one day also. After those potential 3 fights, who knows what the heavyweight Division would look like. For all we know someone like Randy would leave the UFC like you mentioned, or some other notable heavyweight. Point is Japan does have something to offer him now.
Japan honestly makes more sense for him anyways. He can earn for the company there. Here in the states, he is absolutely useless as a draw.
Exactly, co promoting with Japan is fine since Fedor actually draws numbers there.

Great, why not continue the hype and build like Coker would for the Overeem fight? All he can do is gain.

Because it all goes down the drain if Rogers loses his next fight, as I repeatedly mentioned in my last post and from the looks of it, will have to mention a couple of more times throughout this post. lol

Striking while the iron is hot is fine, but Roger's is untested still against top competition. If Fedor beats him people like Sherdogers would just turn around and dismiss Roger's quickly as not being a credible heavyweight.

Dude, it's Fedor. Fedor Emelianenko. He has more respect over the internet than any other fighter. All a win over Rogers will do is make Fedor that much more idolized by the keyboard warriors. It would not hurt Rogers in the least bit because at the end of the day, he lost against the best in the World. However, if he loses against some no name, not only is there no Fedor/Rogers fight, but it'll take 5/6 win streak for Rogers to ever be taken seriously again, and I don't think that's something he could pull off. The risk is not worth it in this case if you ask me, for either Rogers or Strikeforce.

Exactly why I call him prospect. We have no idea where his ground game is at, and how long he can really last before he gasses to the point where he can't swing.

Exactly, which is why you don't risk putting him in there except against top names, where it will be understandable that he lost, instead of putting him in there with people who hardly anyone knows. Strikeforce doesn't want this guy to end up like Houston Alexander, do they?

But why not have him draw when he proves himself more?

Because it's just too big of a risk in my eyes, and no one wins, and that includes the fans. I am sick and fucking tired of being patient with Fedor and so is everyone else. We want him in there with the best Strikeforce has to offer, and right now, outside of Overeem, that is Brett Rogers.

Strikeforce would just gain with the building. They gain a notable heavyweight, and Fedor beats someone worth more.

Yes they would gain from it, but the problem is that it's not guaranteed that he could be build anymore. It's a 50/50 chance, whereas Fedor vs. Rogers is a 100% chance of drawing right now.

Also looking into Fedor Vs. Rogers 2 is looking too far ahead for a company that can flop easily.

I know it is, but still... Rogers best place remains on the undercard, and if he somehow goes on another winning streak and Fedor is still with the company, Fedor vs. Rogers 2 is not that far fetched.

It may be more of a risk for Roger's, but what about Fedor? He's getting in there with someone with KO power who's still really a prospect. At least if they build Roger's, Fedor has something to gain. What would Fedor really gain from a win over Roger's right now?

It's not a risk for Fedor, because he won't lose. And if by some miracle he did, all that does is make a HUGE Superstar for Strikeforce in Brett Rogers, and a rematch happen between the two that much more sooner.

Bacon seems to believe a lot of things, like guaranteeing Fedor would fight Rico. It's because I know fans like people on the UG and Sherdog why I think they should build Roger's. Do you not see them quickly turning their backs on fighters and call them hacks when they lose? I'm sure you saw it during Forrest's lose. At least if Roger's gets one more notable win he has a argument for him that he is a top heavyweight.

There's already an argument for him though man. He is in the precious top 10. He has a win over Arlovski and defeated him faster than Fedor did. The time for Fedor vs. Rogers is now, not later.

Because it all goes down the drain if Rogers loses his next fight.
And like I mentioned, Fedor does not gain much from the current Roger's. Look at Bacon trying to discredit Fedor and saying he shouldn't be the top ranked heavyweight right now. Are you gonna tell him otherwise with a win over Roger's being Fedor's most recent win?
Dude, it's Fedor. Fedor Emelianenko. He has more respect over the internet than any other fighter. All a win over Rogers will do is make Fedor that much more idolized by the keyboard warriors. It would not hurt Rogers in the least bit because at the end of the day, he lost against the best in the World. However, if he loses against some no name, not only is there no Fedor/Rogers fight, but it'll take 5/6 win streak for Rogers to ever be taken seriously again, and I don't think that's something he could pull off. The risk is not worth it in this case if you ask me, for either Rogers or Strikeforce.
Not as much respect as you think, again, look at Bacon. It's fine if it doesn't hurt Roger's, but what does it do for Fedor. Would you honestly rank a win over Roger's as something big? Enough to keep you at number 1?
Exactly, which is why you don't risk putting him in there except against top names, where it will be understandable that he lost, instead of putting him in there with people who hardly anyone knows. Strikeforce doesn't want this guy to end up like Houston Alexander, do they?
I understand trying to protect Roger's and all, but do you honestly think people see him as a contender that would mean something to Fedor? This is Strikeforce, not the UFC. I'm sure a good number of Strikeforce's viewers are keyboard warriors, unlike the UFC who has casual fans. Do you think Keyboard warriors will buy into Roger's if he loses? Sure Fedor keeps his legacy intact, they praise him, but what about Roger's? They'll discredit him. And if they discredit him, then that actually hurts Fedor since it harms his win.
Because it's just too big of a risk in my eyes, and no one wins, and that includes the fans. I am sick and fucking tired of being patient with Fedor and so is everyone else. We want him in there with the best Strikeforce has to offer, and right now, outside of Overeem, that is Brett Rogers.
If Roger's does get one more win then everyone wins. Fans get their fight, Roger's proves hes worth something thus making Fedor's win mean more. If you're inpatient that's a different story.
Yes they would gain from it, but the problem is that it's not guaranteed that he could be build anymore. It's a 50/50 chance, whereas Fedor vs. Rogers is a 100% chance of drawing right now.
That's fine and all, but I'm thinking of the aftermath here of this fight.
I know it is, but still... Rogers best place remains on the undercard, and if he somehow goes on another winning streak and Fedor is still with the company, Fedor vs. Rogers 2 is not that far fetched.
I think it is, considering Fedor has 3 fights left with M-1 who knows what happens after that. I think it's really far fetched, especially for a company like SF who's recent signing spree worries me.
It's not a risk for Fedor, because he won't lose. And if by some miracle he did, all that does is make a HUGE Superstar for Strikeforce in Brett Rogers, and a rematch happen between the two that much more sooner.
In this sport anything happens, you should know this. When you get in there with someone with KO power there's always a risk. Everyone has a punchers chance to win a fight. The problem here is, we have Dana in the media discrediting Fedor, and Fedor always draws like shit, which is a fact. They get a huge star in Roger's, but lose a big potential one in Fedor. At least if Roger's loses after haveing two notable wins, Fedor stays the dominant force he is, and Roger's was just another TOP heavyweight in his path, not prospect.
There's already an argument for him though man. He is in the precious top 10. He has a win over Arlovski and defeated him faster than Fedor did. The time for Fedor vs. Rogers is now, not later.
oh? I thought you didn't like rankings. I think otherwise.

And like I mentioned, Fedor does not gain much from the current Roger's. Look at Bacon trying to discredit Fedor and saying he shouldn't be the top ranked heavyweight right now. Are you gonna tell him otherwise with a win over Roger's being Fedor's most recent win?

Yes, because he's the same person who predicts that Rogers would knock out Fedor if they fought, as I'm sure all the other Fedor haters believe.

Not as much respect as you think, again, look at Bacon. It's fine if it doesn't hurt Roger's, but what does it do for Fedor. Would you honestly rank a win over Roger's as something big? Enough to keep you at number 1?

Yes, because at the end of the day... it's the best out there right now not in the UFC, outside of Overeem. The fact is, Rogers is undefeated and a top 10 Heavyweight. That's all there is to it.

I understand trying to protect Roger's and all, but do you honestly think people see him as a contender that would mean something to Fedor?

Yes.

This is Strikeforce, not the UFC. I'm sure a good number of Strikeforce's viewers are keyboard warriors, unlike the UFC who has casual fans. Do you think Keyboard warriors will buy into Roger's if he loses?

Yes, because it's against Fedor, and Rogers will have a chance to redeem himself in his very next fight against whoever.

Sure Fedor keeps his legacy intact, they praise him, but what about Roger's? They'll discredit him. And if they discredit him, then that actually hurts Fedor since it harms his win.

They won't discredit him and even if they did, like I said... Rogers would have a chance to earn their respect back as time goes on, because if he loses to the best in the World and then wins his next fight, people will be like, "Oh, he's good, but not better than Fedor, but then again... who is?" And if Rogers does win after facing Fedor, then that makes Fedor look great. I mean, let's face it.... nearly all of Fedor's opponents since 2005 have looked like absolute shit since he's faced them, and that has discredited Fedor big time.

If Roger's does get one more win then everyone wins. Fans get their fight, Roger's proves hes worth something thus making Fedor's win mean more. If you're inpatient that's a different story.

Dude, how is Rogers defeating a no name help him in the eyes of the people we're talking about? You're saying that if Rogers loses to Fedor right now, then all the 'net fans will still not give Fedor any credit, right? Well, shit... if that's true, then how will that change if Rogers just defeats one more no name?

That's fine and all, but I'm thinking of the aftermath here of this fight.

So am I. Not only is Rogers vs. Fedor good for right now, but it'll work out for future purposes as well.

I think it is, considering Fedor has 3 fights left with M-1 who knows what happens after that. I think it's really far fetched, especially for a company like SF who's recent signing spree worries me.

But Fedor could sign again with M-1 Global, who knows? Fedor has said countless times that he trusts M-1.

In this sport anything happens, you should know this. When you get in there with someone with KO power there's always a risk. Everyone has a punchers chance to win a fight. The problem here is, we have Dana in the media discrediting Fedor, and Fedor always draws like shit, which is a fact. They get a huge star in Roger's, but lose a big potential one in Fedor. At least if Roger's loses after haveing two notable wins, Fedor stays the dominant force he is, and Roger's was just another TOP heavyweight in his path, not prospect.

Fans of Strikeforce don't give a fuck what Dana has to say, first of all. Trust me, Fedor fans could not care less of Dana's opinion, because let's face facts... it's ridiculous. Dana is the same guy who calls Fedor fat and out of shape. Seriously, no one is ever going to take Dana White seriously when it comes to Fedor.

Secondly, if Fedor lost, that could probably help Strikeforce more than it could hurt, because the rematch would be HUGE. And if Fedor lost the rematch, then either he was overhyped, or Brett Rogers is that fucking good. Either way, Strikeforce has a huge star of their hands with Brett Rogers if he beats Fedor two times and Fedor would be able to start a comeback trail, which would be a big deal as well.

oh? I thought you didn't like rankings. I think otherwise.

I don't, which is why I sarcastically said 'precious' in front of it, but still... the dude IS in the top 10 AND undefeated. That means something. There's no point in risking all that just to "build". Boxing has made that same mistake countless times.

Yes, because he's the same person who predicts that Rogers would knock out Fedor if they fought, as I'm sure all the other Fedor haters believe.
Right, and then as a Fedor hater would he not turn around and discredit Roger's to make Fedor's win look bad?
Yes, because at the end of the day... it's the best out there right now not in the UFC, outside of Overeem. The fact is, Rogers is undefeated and a top 10 Heavyweight. That's all there is to it.
I disagree, the best out there right now besides Overeem is Werdum.
Yes, because it's against Fedor, and Rogers will have a chance to redeem himself in his very next fight against whoever.
But you see, that's also a risk considering he might not flop back. Giving Fedor Werdum first is the best move in my eyes since a win over Werdum means a lot more then just a prospect in Roger's. If Roger's can win one more fight then fine, he can be Fedor's second fight with a bigger build since he would be worth more. Coker seems to have the same idea as me. Roger's is fighting on the Oct 10th card, with Fedor being moved to the November card, I doubt they will fight. What other heavyweight do they have free? Werdum.
They won't discredit him and even if they did, like I said... Rogers would have a chance to earn their respect back as time goes on, because if he loses to the best in the World and then wins his next fight, people will be like, "Oh, he's good, but not better than Fedor, but then again... who is?" And if Rogers does win after facing Fedor, then that makes Fedor look great. I mean, let's face it.... nearly all of Fedor's opponents since 2005 have looked like absolute shit since he's faced them, and that has discredited Fedor big time.
See the thing is again, Roger's might not flop back at all, and that would just hurt Fedor's win. Like for example Zulu, winning streak with no names, Fedor beat him, Zulu went on a losing streak, Zulu now doesn't equal a credible win. Same exact thing could Happen with Roger's. At least in Werdum you have a secure heavyweight who holds a few notable wins, who whatever happens afterwords he was still a top challenge at the time.
Dude, how is Rogers defeating a no name help him in the eyes of the people we're talking about? You're saying that if Rogers loses to Fedor right now, then all the 'net fans will still not give Fedor any credit, right? Well, shit... if that's true, then how will that change if Rogers just defeats one more no name?
No name? I said a credible heavyweight. They can bring in Rothwell or Monson if he's free(lol).
But Fedor could sign again with M-1 Global, who knows? Fedor has said countless times that he trusts M-1.
He does trust them, but again, who knows? His brother seems anti M-1, that can play a factor in. No one really knows what happens after those 3 fights, which is far away is my point. Fedor isn't exactly known for having a consistent schedule. Who know's how long it might be before he finishes these 3 fights.
Fans of Strikeforce don't give a fuck what Dana has to say, first of all. Trust me, Fedor fans could not care less of Dana's opinion, because let's face facts... it's ridiculous.
See I agree and all, but SF I'm sure does want to attract casual fans at some point. I doubt they can live off keyboard warriors. Fedor being discredited by Dana does harm them since Dana would actually have ammo behind his words. I mean losing to Bret fuckin Roger's? I understand the guy has KO power, but it's still a damn bad lose.
Dana is the same guy who calls Fedor fat and out of shape. Seriously, no one is ever going to take Dana White seriously when it comes to Fedor
He does look fat and out of shape though.
Secondly, if Fedor lost, that could probably help Strikeforce more than it could hurt, because the rematch would be HUGE. And if Fedor lost the rematch, then either he was overhyped, or Brett Rogers is that fucking good. Either way, Strikeforce has a huge star of their hands with Brett Rogers if he beats Fedor two times and Fedor would be able to start a comeback trail, which would be a big deal as well.
I'm not sure how this would help. Strikeforce's goal is PPV, I remember Coker mentioning it during Shamrock Vs. Diaz that it would take 10-12 months from then to go to PPV. I'm sure most keyboard warriors stream things. SF needs Fedor to keep doing what he does best, win. They can bill him as the best in the world and back it up, but they can't do that if Roger's wins. So might as well make Roger's more of a name before the fight, to show he actually is the real deal. This way of Fedor's loses at least he lost to someone who is not a prospect.
I don't, which is why I sarcastically said 'precious' in front of it, but still... the dude IS in the top 10 AND undefeated. That means something. There's no point in risking all that just to "build". Boxing has made that same mistake countless times.
It would mean something if he actually beat someone besides a broken down Arlovski.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back