Favourite Non-Single Track.

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
So when an artist releases an album they release singles from the album to help promote it. They only release a few (2-4) and these give a taste of the album content. If you've bought the album and listened to it you may find songs that weren't singles that you really like. I'm curious what are yours.

A couple of mine are

Nirvana- Blew from Bleach

[YOUTUBE]7J37mp0JJCE[/YOUTUBE]

While one of their most well known songs from the album it wasn't actually released as a single. I really enjoy the rawness of it (and the entire album as well) I enjoy the bass line and Kurt Cobain's guitar and singing are very punk-esque in my opinion.

Nirvana-Breed from Nevermind

[YOUTUBE]0mC7jbG9yi0[/YOUTUBE]

Dave Grohl's drumming is fucking awesome on this track and I really like the lyrical content on it ( we can plant a house, we can build a tree)

Alice In Chains- I Know Something (Bout You)

[YOUTUBE]jrLa4MO0Rs0[/YOUTUBE]

I really like this because it's an upbeat song, and is just overall cool in my opinion.

I have quite a few, but I will just list a couple

Oasis- Columbia

[YOUTUBE]Gx9SD6-a_GY[/YOUTUBE]

I am an obsessive Oasis fan, and out of eeeeevery track they have ever made, I would put this as my 3rd favourite.

Its pure rock n roll, great singing as always from Liam, and its got a great "dancey" feel to it, great guitaring and is just a proper indie rock n roll anthem, perfect for playing live, perfect in a club.

Alice In Chains- Nutshell

[YOUTUBE]eDW4ARh9_4o[/YOUTUBE]

To me, the most beautiful song ever recorded, everything about this song is perfect.

I was majorly disapointed when Alice didnt play it live when I saw them last November. They played their quieter songs, "your decision" and "no excuses" in the middle to slow things down, and this would have been perfect to be slotted in right there. A true classic song

Chevelle-One Lonely Visitor

I was a casual Chevelle fan when "The Red" and "Closure" were released, so I bought their first album. But it was "One Lonely Visitor", the final song on the cd, that made me fall in love with the band. Not only is it my favorite Chevelle song to date, but its my favorite acoustic song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiGM4seg84c

Breaking Benjamin-Medicate

The band says this was their personal pick for the second single off their first album, but their recording label picked another song. I can't figure out why, because I think its not only the best song off the album Saturate, it might be their best song period. It was raw and blunt as to how they coped with their problems at the time, and I appreciated the honesty, plus i really flat out dig the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnHvGBdJ1BQ

Evans Blue-Possession

Everyone loves a good stalker song, right? ;) This one is actually a Sarah McLaughlin cover, one that she put on her "best of" CD. But for some reason, the band chose to never release it as a single.On top of that, I think their interpretation of the song musically is far better then the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtRarUksOW4

[YOUTUBE]iipWeo0SKro[/YOUTUBE]

One of my favourite BLS tracks, a huge riff and it really does sound like it would be played as an army was marching on its target.

Zakk Wylde needs to made sure that the next BLS album gets back to music like this, instead of the pretty boring "Order Of The Black".

This should definately have been released as a single.

Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street

As with almost every Bob Dylan song, the hallmark of this is the incredible lyrics written by the man himself. It begins with the line "you've got a lot of nerve, to say you are my friend" which sets the scene for the rest of the song. I like the fact that it isn't your typical Dylan song of vivid, poetic lyrics. The lyrics are more straightforward and simpler but still sung with deep emotion. The operative ones being anger and disappointment. I also like the overriding melodic organ that repeats throughout the song. I can't put my finger on why, but it really works and adds to the song.

[YOUTUBE]R9j80nQmD7I[/YOUTUBE]

This is from the latest Alice album, "Black Gives Way To Blue", and it is the only song on the album that really shows off William Du'Valls vocal talents. He was one of the song writers for this track, so the song is slightly different to many of the other soley-written Jerry Cantrell written tracks on the album.

I really like the idea behind this song, that Alice In Chains are still standing after all this time and all they have been through, and I was pretty gutted when this wasnt part of the set list when I saw them last November.

Really good track from a top class album

[YOUTUBE]oCFHBhymN-M[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly i'm a huge devildriver mark. I fucking love them, everything about them. In my mind and i've lisitened to every song they've ever made no song is bad. Tbh when I first started here one of the first things I posted in was the music forum about devildriver, and a former mod ech gave me my first green rep telling me that this was a good album and about this song. I had the album but wasnt the whole way through it yet.

This song blew my mind, the brutality of Devildriver never stops. This whole song just sounds evil. It combines awsome hard drumming with great melodic guitar riffs. I fucking love it.

It was hard to come up with a great track that isn't a single, as I tend to like the singles and hits for most bands the best out of their songs.... but I found one that's not a single and also one of my favorite songs.

[YOUTUBE]7JUItGjMq50[/YOUTUBE]

This is probably my favorite Twisted Sister song, even moreso than hits like "We're Not Gonna Take It" because it's a great combination of really catchy and really heavy at the same time. "Stay Hungry" is such an underrated track and how it wasn't a hit single is beyond me. The vocals and guitar work really shine here, perhaps that is why the album was named after this track. The questions remains though, why didn't it become a single? I like it regardless, and that's why it's my addition to this thread.

[YOUTUBE]LXfpDSpO6gs[/YOUTUBE]

This is a such a great song by The Verve, who were so talented. Its a shame they cant get on with each other any more, as they should still be making music like this.

I love Weeping Willow, but as the Verve released four other "slow" tracks from their Urban Hymns album (Bitter Sweet Symphony, The Drugs Dont Work, Sonnet and Lucky Man it is understandable why it was never a single.

If almost any other band wrote a song this good, it would be their next single no doubt. This shows just what a talented songwriter Richard Ashcroft is

Here's another one.

[YOUTUBE]JQcG8tmlz1A[/YOUTUBE]

Perfect example of a really great song that probably no one but the hardcore fans of the band have even heard of. It's hidden away as the final track on "All Killer No Filler". I like it and it stands out because it sounds different than anything else on the album does, but in a good way. I can see why it did not end up becoming a single.... but it's a fun little song and rather underrated.

Alice In Chains- Black Gives Way To Blue

[YOUTUBE]DB7htfZc-WQ[/YOUTUBE]

Written as a tribute for orginal vocalist Layne Staley it just has some great lyrics and music, you can feel Jerry Cantrell's emotion as he sings it, plus Elton John's guest piano helps it very well.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- My Lovely Man

[YOUTUBE]Bh2oTiGyyBI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Written as a tribute to original guitarist Hillel Slovak, its an interesting tribute, its quite funky and faced paced (similar to how Slovak played) and upbeat and seen as a celebration of his life and how Anthony Kiedis feels about his friend.

I thought I'd bump this.

[YOUTUBE]NnJLcvnfCTo[/YOUTUBE]

So I was listening to the Cowboys From Hell album by Pantera and was really getting into this song. Its got a catchy beat and it's a change of pace for Phil Anselmo not constantly shouting all the time.

[YOUTUBE]-MIFHA3ObHQ[/YOUTUBE]

This is simply great, great tune that hooks you in. Sean Kinney's drumming is great, the bass is pretty good (dunno if its Mike Starr or Mike Inez) Jerry Cantrell's guitar is awesome and Layne Staley's voice is just amazing. Why this song was never released is baffling.

[YOUTUBE]-MIFHA3ObHQ[/YOUTUBE]

Dude which album was that on? Racking my brain and cant think of where it is?!?

Now for another pick of mine....

[YOUTUBE]EU4L6THYAbM[/YOUTUBE]

Great song from an album full of them. How many other bands would give their right arm to have something this good as a single??? And Soundgarden were able to release it as just an album track...astonishing.

It shows just how good of a band they are, and how incredible Superunknown is as an album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back