Favourite Foreign Language Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
I dont know if anybody else is into foreign cinema. But I'm a huge fan. I think people really miss out on some great film's just because of subtitle's.

One some people might have heard of is City Of God. It's Brazillian and it's about street gang's. A lot of the actor's are just kid's who are apparently actually live the sort of life that's portrayed in the film.

I also reccomend Gozu. It's seriously fucked up. It's a bit slow to get going but it's so weird it's worth it. There's a woman in it who's lactating throughout the whole film. There's a bloke in it who can only have sex if he's got a ladle stuck up his arse. And in the end a woman give's birth to a fully grown man.

I watch a lot of late night movies of the week on Showcase (canadian version of Showtime), and they're ALWAYS Mexican or Latin American movies for some odd reason...

But it's ok because it's the only foreign language other than greek that I understand, and there aren't many greek movies, lol. For some reason there aren't any French movies... but I guess it's because it's an official Language here, lol, and we have all these french channels (which always play American dubbed movies :S)

Anyway... I really liked the Motorcycle Diaries, great, great movie.

There was another one... it was all about sex... but it was well done (ZING!). Um... it was with that hot chick Paz Vega. I can't remember the title but I liked it (moreover than just for the obvious reasons, haha... even though I can't remember the title...)

I would have to say Brotherhood of the Wolf, ITs a french film that is just brilliant in its story execution. I will tentatively place Pan's Labyrinth in this category, it looks good I just hae to go and see it.

Pan's Labyrinth is awesome. It's the best film I've seen in year's.

I also reccomend Cronos. It's a vampire film by the bloke who did Pan's Labyrinth. I like all of Guerillermo Del Toro's film's. But I find his foreign language film's are better.

^That's why he did Pan's Labryinth outside of the States. Hollywood neuters him creatively. For proof watch Hellboy or his Blade entry. He's damn good, though. For my favorite foreign language film? I'm a simple creature in that regard, so it'll either be a toss-up between The Chinese Connection or Police Story. Drama is okay, I guess, but ass-kicking captures my imagination like nothing else when it comes to foreign cinema.

If you are a fan of horror movies then I highly recommend any Tartan Asian Extreme Movies, if you are looking for some originality, they are off the scale.

But my favorite foreign movie has to be Old Boy, its about a man who gets kid napped and trapped in a room for like, I think 16 years, and he is just let go one day and he has to piece together what happened during his time away.

Old Boys brilliant. Sick ending though. I also love Lady Vengeance which is part of a trilogy. I did'nt much like Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance though.

Audition is awesome. It's really slow moving and the ending made me feel a little bit ill.

Tartans are very weird movies, lol, glad to see I'm not alone in the world when I watch those, not many people have seen them around here where I live. And yes, Old Boy has a very sick and twisted ending.

Tartan DVD's are my favourite. All my mate's dont watch stuff unless it's mainstream, which I like because I watch all these brilliant film's that they'll never know about. Anchor Bay DVD's are good as well. They are releasing load's of old italian horror film's from the 70's. Obviously some are absolute shite but it's still intresting to watch them.

lol, Dario Argento... (I think I got that right) he is one weird ass bastard... I think he must take an ass load of LSD before he makes a movie, but damn... Asia (its pronounced A - sea - A, for those that don't know, she was the chick in Triple X with Vin Diesel) but damn... she is hot, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back