Favourite Division?

mrbrownstone

Fucking Hostile
So the other day I saw someone say that WCW's cruiserweight division was their favourite division in wrestling history, that got me thinking and I decided to make this thread. First off to help you out a division is like the Cruiserweights, X Division, Tag Division etc. that may seem like an obvious thing but I just want to make it clear. Basically what I want to know from you guys is, What is your favourite division in wrestling history?

For me it isn't an easy choice but I will go with WCW's cruiserweights from about 1996-1998 (give or take a couple of months). The reason this division was so great was not because of the promos because usually there weren't any, infact most matches were just thrown together for little reason other than they knew it would be a great match but nearly every time it was a great match. You could turn into any WCW show and be 90% sure that you would see atleast one good match from the cruiserweights, that isn't something that can be said about alot of ther divisions.

So thats my opinion, what I want to know from you is:

What is your favourite division in wrestling history?
During what time period was that division at it's best?
Why was that your favourite division, was is because of a particular wrestler, were there consistantly great matches, were there great promos/storylines?
Who were the main wrestlers that made that division your favourite?

A cross between the X-division 2005 and Cruiserweight in WCW around 1998. In WCW, a bunch of guys stood out and drew me into watching. Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Psycosis, Dean Malenko, Juventud, Eddie Guerrero. All put on great matches for a title belt that wasn't even a top thing in WCW. It launched the careers of each and everyone of the members in the division. I can't get enough of the cruiserweight division and that's why its one of my favorite divisions ever. Next, the X-division 2005. AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, all reigned supreme at this time. Put on great matches and all have a very unique offense in the ring against their opponents. These three guys made TNA. Their matches drew a lot of people in, including me. Their matches very exciting and always kept you at the edge of your seat. Also one of my favorite divisions.

I am going to go for the WWF Tag Team division in around 1999-2002. It was the time that the tag teams really took off in the company, with exciting young teams coming through such as Edge and Christian and the Hardy Boyz, and going up against teams such as The Dudley Boyz, The Acolytes, The New Age Outlaws, Kane & X-Pac, Too Cool and many others. It was just an exciting time to be a wrestling fan, with the TLC matches, high flying like I had never seen before and so many great characters.

The T.I.T Ladder Match between THe Hardy Boyz and E&C was astonishing to me, I had never seen anything like it, it was so spectacular, and the Tag Team Tables match at The Royal Rumble where The Hardyz defeated the Dudleyz for the titles was at the time my favoruite match of all time. And both these matches were before the stakes were raised in the Triangle Ladder Match and TLC matches, which everyone knows were unbelievable.

This period of time was tag team wrestling at its best in WWE. I loved it

It is sad that the tag team division is completely overlooked in modern day WWE.

I am going to go for the WWF Tag Team division in around 1999-2002. It was the time that the tag teams really took off in the company, with exciting young teams coming through such as Edge and Christian and the Hardy Boyz, and going up against teams such as The Dudley Boyz, The Acolytes, The New Age Outlaws, Kane & X-Pac, Too Cool and many others. It was just an exciting time to be a wrestling fan, with the TLC matches, high flying like I had never seen before and so many great characters.

The T.I.T Ladder Match between THe Hardy Boyz and E&C was astonishing to me, I had never seen anything like it, it was so spectacular, and the Tag Team Tables match at The Royal Rumble where The Hardyz defeated the Dudleyz for the titles was at the time my favoruite match of all time. And both these matches were before the stakes were raised in the Triangle Ladder Match and TLC matches, which everyone knows were unbelievable.

This period of time was tag team wrestling at its best in WWE. I loved it

It is sad that the tag team division is completely overlooked in modern day WWE.

great thread and lots of great answering opportunities. but this might be my absolute favorite. this tag team division was amazing. i think that 5 of the best tag teams in the history of wrestling were during this time: Edge & Christian, Hardy Boyz, Dudley Boyz, Acolytes and New Age Outlaws. not THE 5 best, but 5 of the best. let me clarify that before i get hate mail.

there were also other good tag teams during this time thrown into the mix with Too Cool, Kane and X-Pac, Rock & Sock Connection, Undertaker & Big Show, Jericho & Benoit, 2 Man Power Trip, Regal & Storm, etc. we saw lots of big names win the gold and pair up in about a 3-5 year span and this was an amazing time for tag teams. this was when the belts were actually coveted, defended and cared about. imagine that.

I'm sure this probably doesn't count, but can I say the Intercontinental title "division" in the WWE from about 1988-2000. The Intercontinental title has for years been the stepping stone to the big show so to speak, and more often than not, these were the matches you paid to see. Often referred to as the "work horse title" More so back in the day maybe than now a days. Look at some of the champions you had, specifically in the 90s.

Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, The British Bulldog, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Roddy Piper, Stone Cold, the Rock, Hall, Nash, Triple H, Owen Hart, Jeff Jarrett, Edge, just to name a few.

Don't get me wrong their have been good champions since, I just feel the title has been a bit tarnished with the addition and removal of all the other various titles over the years.

The WWF Title division in 1996 - Feb 97. Bret held the title when 96 began but Shawn Michaels revolutionised the division when he won the title from Bret at WM 12. Shawn had a line of threatening challengers for his title every 2 months who could've easily taken the title from him but he managed to overcome them all, from Bret Hart, Diesel, British Bulldog, Vader, Mankind to Sycho Sid who he lost the title but won the title back from at Royal Rumble 97 but then he had to vacate the title due to "losing his smile" which lead to Bret winning the title back at Final Four against Vader, Taker & Austin. It was when Sid became champ once again and main evented WM with Taker for the title which lead to Taker winning the title back and defending it against the same guys he faced before with the exception of Stone Cold, where the division just wasnt as good as last year. It goes to show that with a long title reign, new fresh challengers every 2 months and overcoming the obstacles that it not only makes an icon out of that title reign but that superstar also. If the title was just traded around every month like it is now, it wouldnt have been iconic.

My taste are a little eclectic sometimes, and I'm probably going to get blasted for this. Back in 2005 the WWE created the Juniors Division. Basically it was really talented Hornswoggle's wrestling their "little" asses off, and entertaining the shit out of the audience. I fucking loved this shit, but as WWE learned alot of other people didn't and they canceled the division in 2006. I quietly cried inside.

What is your favourite division in wrestling history?

The Knockout's Division in TNA.

During what time period was that division at it's best?

From 2007-till Now.

Why was that your favourite division, was is because of a particular wrestler, were there consistantly great matches, were there great promos/storylines?

Unlike the Men's air-time on television, the Knockout's Division has kept their storyline at a pace that doesn't see a year's worth boxed into a month. The Division has kept itself fresh with promising talent while slowly releasing the previous talent that has already done so much in the company. No particular storyline garnishes my attention because I feel that each individual one ran its course smoothly but a little short. Knockout's Division has the best female performers I have seen on television, but I think they could use a little bit more work on storyline (which really isn't there fault; did I mention the Men's long as hell air-time?)

Who were the main wrestlers that made that division your favourite?

Believe it or not, it was Awesome Kong that did it for me. She wasn't your average model/gymnast/hooker that wrestling promotions like to give their 18 and up male demographic. No this was a heavyset woman that wasn't there to be your wet dream. She was there to kick every woman's ass and a few men's too. A real bona-fide powerhouse. I think she set a minute standard for any woman watching trying to prove that you don't need a pair of DD's and an aneorexic body to make it in professional wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back