Favorite WWE Pay Per View of the PG Era?

WWE4EVA!

Occasional Pre-Show
Wwe changed into the PG Era just after The Great American Bash 2008 and since then everyone has said how boring WWE Pay Per Views have become, But there must be some good PPVS to come out of the Era, So what do you think they are.

So I have a few question

1. What has been your favourite PPV in the PG Era (2008-2013)

2. What was your favourite Match/es of the PPV?

This is timely but in my opinion the Money In The Bank PPV's have been very good. All 3 so far have been great PPV by whatever standard or era you judge them by. Two guaranteed multi-man ladder matches; plus two world title matches makes the MITB PPV unmissable.

It is very difficult to seperate '10 and '11 but my personal favourite was 2010. Kane winning the belt, The Miz breaking through and a cage match between Cena and Sheamus. That being said, 2011 was amazing as well (Punk/Cena).

Obviously, Wrestlemania has had some terrific matches since the start of the PG era, most notably involving HBK,HHH and the Undertaker.

I've got a 1A, 1B situation. 1A is WrestleMania 25, the first 'Mania I was able to attend in person. 1B is Money in the Bank 2011. Just a great show top to bottom. Plus, to me, all the right people won.

I'd definitely go with Money in the Bank 2011. There was so much hype leading into that Cena/Punk match, and the match absolutely delivered. It wasn;t jsut the main event that was great though, the card top to bottom was solid. Both MITB Ladder Matches were entertaining, and Christian vs. Randy Orton was excellent as well (that whole feud with Christian and Orton that summer was really good).

Wrestling is about a build-up and a pay-off, and MITB 2011 is a perfect example of doing it right.

My second pick would probably be WrestleMania 28, Rock/Cena was a dream match that delivered, Punk/Jericho was a well-executed WWE Title Match, and HHH/Taker was one of the most dramatic matches I have ever seen, a storytelling clinic. Also, say what you want about Sheamus beating Bryan in 8 seconds, but it was a memorable WrestleMania moment and Bryan became way more over because of it. Definitely on of the better WrestleManias and one of the top pay-per-views in the modern era.

Hmmm.... That's a tricky question as i believe that almost every PPV has produced good matches.The PPVs that in my opininon have produced the best matches are either MITB or TLC.
1)the first because it has a lot of good storylines such as Cena/Punk and because of the
6-man (sometimes 8-man ladder match) for the MITB briefcase.
2) the second because of the involvement of tables,ladder and/or chairs to matches
which i believe give it an entertaining edge.

Wwe changed into the PG Era just after The Great American Bash 2008 and since then everyone has said how boring WWE Pay Per Views have become

I don't think the PPVs have become boring. I think (and get ready for some 90's nostalgia butthurts), the PPVs AND overall product from the WWE during the PG era is much better than, say, the Attitude era.

If I had to pick one PPV, I would say MITB 2011. To me, having Punk go over the way he did was kind of the start of a new generation of superstars.

To me, ppv's have actually significantly improved since MITB 2011 as their really isn't a bad show from then. If I was to name a few, Extreme Rules 2011 & 12, MITB 10, 11 & 12, Summerslam 11, TLC 11 & 12, Night of Champions 10,11 & 12, Wrestlemania 28. Yeah that's about it IMO although I prob missed a few

People criticize the WWE for it's PG Era, and I find myself guilty of doing so as well, but something cannot be denied and that's since Money in the Bank 2011, WWE hasn't put on a bad PPV. A post above said the same thing, and this is what makes the decision difficult.

For me, my favorite PPV event must be Money in the Bank 2011. The Chicago crowd was on fire as always, the Money in the Bank Ladder Matches delivered, Randy Orton and Christian once again put on an amazing performance and of course, CM Punk won the WWE Championship in an awesome match against John Cena. This night is significant as it launched CM Punk into the main event scene for good, changing his character, dynamic and upped his popularity, and as said previously, WWE have done pretty well since this event.

I must say, this past PPV Payback wasn't bad either. The crowd certainly helped, but something really clicked with this event. Curtis winning the title, AJ Lee vs Kaitlyn, CM Punk's return, and Del Rio vs Dolph Ziggler were all really great matches and moments. Shows WWE are sticking to a trend, and a good one.

Money in the Bank 2011 and TLC 2012 were great PPVs and goes to show you that vocal crowds do help the overall product. I loved the outcome of both shows and all the right people won. Wrestlemania 28 was also excellent with plenty of amazing matches.

Though I wouldn't agree WWE hasn't produced a bad PPV since MITB 2011. This years Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania were awful.

There's no correct answer other that Money in the Bank 2001, really. Some PPV's have had great matches, some PPV's were well booked, some PPV's had great crowds. But MitB 2011 had all 3, which is such a rarity for modern PPV's.

Both MitB matches were 4 star matches. Orton Vs Christian, while arguably the worst of their series, was still 4 stars. Brian winning the briefcase and Christian winning the World title match were great mark out moments.

Then the main event. Oh, that main event. The build-up, the booking, the crowd reaction. It's so rare that a feud comes together so perfectly. Regardless of what happened after Punk came back and how it all went to shit, at that moment where Punk blew Vince a goodbye kiss and escaped through the crowd, it was absolute perfection.

I would say that TLC 2012 was the best pay-per-view of the PG-era. Pretty much everything was done right in that show.

The best match, in my opinion, is a tie between both HBK/Taker matches at Wrestlemania. Honestly, I don't think I need to explain why. They were incredible.

Though I wouldn't agree WWE hasn't produced a bad PPV since MITB 2011. This years Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania were awful.

I think this year's Rumble and WrestleMania were both big improvements over the 2011 and 2012 versions of each, especially WM27. That show was an unholy abomination.

My answer to the question would be TLC 2011. Despite Zack Ryder winning the United States Championship which I still think was a horrible move to make, the rest of the show was very entertaining and the matches all delivered. As a Big Show fan, I was ecstatic to see Big Show finally become the World Heavyweight Champion, even though he lost it immediately afterwards. And the Triple Threat TLC Match in the main event was the best TLC Match I've ever seen that didn't involve Edge.

Extreme Rules 2012.

Lesnar VS Cena was just phenomenal, and I couldn't believe how sharp Brock was after his first match back in years. John Cena lost "the most important match in his life" to Rock at Wrestlemania, but he gained his redemption by gutting it out in a brutal and bloody battle with Lesnar. Speaking of redemption, I can't count the number of times I rolled my eyes during the build to this year's rematch with Rock. Uh, you beat a powerhouse monster and a legit UFC Heavyweight Champion in the main event of a pay per view. How much redemption do you really need after that?

Anyway, Punk VS Jericho surpassed the quality of the match at Wrestlemania 28, and Sheamus VS Byran was a legit MOTY contender. And the reaction on Big Show's face when he went through the table was priceless.

Wrestlemania 28 is a close second for me, but Wrestlemania is suppose to be the biggest wrestling pay per view of the year with the best matches and feuds. Following the freight train of hype behind Mania 28, Extreme Rules knocked it out of the park without all the hype, a grandiose stage, and glitzy pageantry.

And probably Payback for a sleeper #3 pick. I expected it to be a nothing and forgettable show with one match to look forward to (Punk VS Jericho), but the card just blew me away. Surprising heel and face turns, another outstanding war between Ryback and Cena, AJ VS Kaitlyn shocked me, and the overall card featured some of the best wrestling I've seen on pay per view this year.

I'm with pretty much everyone else on this. MitB 2011 is probably the best of the PG Era. Honestly, you could probably stick it in the Top 10 of all time (non-WM) of course. It was an amazing top to bottom show. The Cena/Punk match is probably also in my Top 10 of all time. The energy that crowd brought to that match is unparalleled to any non-Mania event and still probably tops 90% of the crowds during Mania matches. The best PPV hands down.

Money In the Bank, TLC, Extreme Rules and recently Payback. All of them have had matches that range between 4-5 stars. Especially considering the fact that Cena has been wrestling in these events.

Favorite pay per view, and in my opinion the best booked pay per view, since 2008, is definitely No Way Out 2009.

February 2009. Leading into WrestleMania 25. Two stellar elimination chamber matches that featured surprising outcomes and five star performances.

First Edge loses his WWE Championship in the first elimination chamber match of the night... by being pinned during the first five minutes of the match. From the top we knew we were going to have a new champion. What a way to start off a pay per view from a creative stand point. Triple H goes over to defend the WWE Championship against Randy Orton at Mania.

Ties in perfectly with Orton's plot against the McMahon's. Orton vs Shane was a brawl. The match featured a little bit too much ground and pound from Dibiase and Rhodes but there were some nice spots. Helped evolve the Orton persona after his lengthy title reigns a couple years previous.

I'll admit, Jack Swagger and Finlay was a snooze fest, but to be completely honest, Shawn Michaels and JBL worked a solid match. It was interesting to see the two styles blend under the personal story of "master and slave". An old school wrestling program at it's finest.

Finally we have the World Heavyweight Championship elimination chamber. Edge furthers the "ultimate opportunist" moniker by destroying a very young Kofi Kingston and entering himself into the chamber. Defending Champion John Cena is eliminated within five minutes of entering the match, solidifying a new WWE Champion (for the SECOND elimination chamber match of the night mind you) and a pay per view ending with something other than John Cena standing tall with the game's richest prize. Edge goes on to win the match, finishing off the contest by putting on a clinic with Rey Mysterio.

Edge became the only man to compete in two elimination chamber matches in the same night, lose one championship and gain another... ALL WITHIN THE SAME NIGHT.

For a time period filled with super Cena, this pay per view was booked to perfection, and that's why I'll always remember it.

Unforgiven 2008 for me was a great PPV
Debut of Championship Scramble match type
Great match between HBK and Jericho
Jericho leaves the PPV World Champ

Money In the Bank 2011 has already been said, so I will go with a different one. A personal favorite of mine from the past few years is Wrestlemania 26. That was an awesome PPV event which had a great card from top to bottom, disregarding the divas match, featuring many matches worth watching more than once. Very few things went wrong with the event and it's a show I look back very fondly on. The show had 10 matches and all but 1 (the divas) are worth watching if you have not seen them yet, especially Undertaker VS Michaels II.

The opener between Miz & Big Show VS Morrison & Truth set the pace for the rest of the show and did what it needed to in order to get the fans excited. It made it onto the card instead of the bogus decision to make it a pre-show event like the year before. Orton's victory in the triple threat against his Legacy underlings saw the start of his face turn. Swagger had a shocking win in what might be the last Wrestlemania Money In the Bank Ladder match, it was his moment regardless of what people think of his World Heavyweight Championship run. We saw the Wrestlemania debut of Sheamus against real life friend Triple H. Punk VS Rey exceeded my expectations of the match significantly.

Jericho VS Edge may not have met its full potential, but I enjoyed it. A good match between two of the best in a memorable feud. I just wish we could have seen the feud in its intended entirety. Edge couldn't help that he got injured, but the Tag Team Championship run and split that was initially supposed to fuel it would have been great to see. I liked this match regardless though. I'm still a bit surprised Swagger did not cash in here, we have yet to see a cash in at the biggest show of the year. Bret VS Vince was never going to be a classic but it did what it was intended to do in giving Hart his kayfabe'd revenge.

Batista VS Cena had an excellent build and the match ended up being good too. The two biggest names of the era (at the time) collided and Cena proved he was the top guy for a reason. The divas match was the only bad match on the card, although it was still a huge improvement from the embarrassment we saw the previous year. Then we had the main event. Rarely does the WWE Championship not close the biggest event of the year, but they made the right call here. After what might be the greatest match of all time the year before, how in the world were Michaels and Taker going to top that again the following year? In terms of match quality it might never be topped, but they did top their previous effort in the storyline going into it. Michaels stole the show for the final time and Taker's undefeated streak lived on. I loved this show, it's a definite candidate for one of the best PPV events from the past few years.

I think this year's Rumble and WrestleMania were both big improvements over the 2011 and 2012 versions of each, especially WM27. That show was an unholy abomination.

I do agree about WM27, however 29 was still below par. The buildups were terrible, the mainevent lackluster and predictable, and the overall show was a huge letdown. WM28 was great though.

Yeah Rumble 2011 wasn't the best but 2012 was decent. Punk vs. Ziggler was awesome, as well as Bryan winning the cage match. 2013 was the worst PPV I've seen in a while. Sandow and Cody should've won their match, Punk losing the title to Dwayne Johnson, a movie star, pissed me off and Super Cena winning the Rumble was predictable and stupid. Only good thing from that PPV was the Del Rio vs. Big Show match, and tbh no one cares about either guy atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back