Favorite Wrestlemania of all Time?

S prince

Occasional Pre-Show
When I was a young kid, I loved Wrestlemania VI, Warrior vs. Hogan. Just because of how popular those two were at the time. But as I grew older, nothing compares to Wrestlemania X. Owen vs. Bret to kick off the show was great, the finish to the match with Owen's roll up was incredible. Owen would be great today. Of course, the ladder match between Razor and HBK was ground breaking. I wasn't a huge fan of having a special guest referee in both main events with Luger vs Yokazuna and Bret Hart vs Yokazuna, but seeing Bret win and finally overcome Yoko was awesome. And my personal favorite match of the night/ rivalry was between Macho Man and Crush with the best 2/3 falls. That was a fun match.

You think you can top that one? Recent wrestlemanias couldn't hold a candle to that one.

Personally, I think that Wrestlemania 17 was my favorite. Think about it, the opening match was Chris Jericho vs. William Regal, a technical classic. This WM also featured a great rivalry and match with Shane vs. Vince in a street fight with Foley as the ref. Undertaker vs. Triple H was the last match Taker had at a WM where I actually felt that he stood a chance of losing, which only added to my intrigue of the situation. And last but not least, you cant forget about Austin vs. Rock. When Austin went ballistic on Rock with the chair and joined forces with McMahon, I have to admit, I marked out big time.

I posted this on the “Favorite PPV” thread, but I think it fits much better here for discussion purposes, limiting my pick of WM XIX vs. 24 other Manias as opposed to WM XIX vs. every single PPV ever.

My favorite Pay Per View of all time is WrestleMania XIX. It had 4 Main Events (in my opinion 5, including HBK vs. Y2J) including 2 World Title matches and 2 matches featuring Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and the Rock. 2 Tag Team Title matches, a Triple Threat for the WWE Tag Titles featuring 3 great teams and a Sunday Night Heat World Tag Team Title match (how many PPVs have / had a Dark match / Sunday Night Heat match for any Championship??). It had a great Cruiserweight match to start the show with Matt and Rey. It had a really good Women’s Title match, which is just so hard to find these days, showcasing 3 very talented women. The Undertaker beat not one, but two opponents to add to his streak. Last but most definitely not least, Stacey and Torrie in a Pillow fight with two other hot chicks!! I don’t think there is any other PPV in history that tops WM XIX. There was at least one thing wrong with every other PPV ever. Even WM XIX’s “Dark” match was awesome.

World Tag Team Championship match
Lance Storm and Chief Morley (c) vs. Kane and Rob Van Dam

WWE Cruiserweight Championship match
Matt Hardy (c) (with Shannon Moore) vs. Rey Mysterio

Handicap match
The Undertaker vs. The Big Show and A-Train

Triple Threat WWE Women's Championship match
Trish Stratus vs. Victoria (c) (with Steven Richards) vs. Jazz

Triple Threat WWE Tag Team Championship match
Team Angle (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) (c) vs. Los Guerreros (Eddie and Chavo Guerrero) vs. Chris Benoit and Rhyno

Grudge match
Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho

Pillow fight
Stacy Keibler vs. Torrie Wilson vs. Kitana Baker vs. Tanya Ballinger

World Heavyweight Championship match
Triple H (c) (with Ric Flair) vs. Booker T

Street Fight
Hulk Hogan vs. Vince McMahon

Grudge match
The Rock vs. Steve Austin

WWE Championship match
Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle

I have to mention, in this little rant / rave, the Superstars in the Title matches. Triple H, Booker T., Kurt Angle, and Brock Lesnar. That card was stacked from top to bottom with 20 World Champions on the card. Every match had a former, or at the time, soon to be, World Champion. I just feel that every WM after XIX had its share of let downs. WM X8 comes in a very close second in my opinion, very close.

Let's debate.

l loved Wrestlemania IV personally. That was an amazing show with the tournament for the belt. Macho Man put on a show that day that has yet to be rivalled. I also liked Wrestlemania XXII as I was at that one. :)

As a relatively young fan, my first proper Wrestlemania was 'Mania 17 from Houston Texas in 2001. This was a fantastic event imo and it featured some great match-ups like Angle and Benoit for example. It also featured a class TLC match with E&C v Hardys v Dudleys and the run-ins from Lita, Rhyno and Spike Dudley added to it as well. Of course this also had the 'Taker/HHH match which had it all imo, from great in ring action to fighting through the crowd and it is arguably one of 'Taker's better outtings at the event. And of course the main event were Austin screwed the Rock over and sided with McMahon. This match was filled with drama from the get go and I used to love the way the Rock sold the stunner, it was very dramatic and the crowd was great here as well. Another great moment was when Rock put Austin's jacket on and started mocking him....those two always worked well together for sure.

wrestlmania 2000 was great with the fatal four way main event. Two-fall Triple Threat match for the Intercontinental and European Championship was great and the first tlc it was a great night.

My favorite by far was WM 3 in the Silverdome. I think the attendance record still stands today. It was one of the first major "kayfabe" turns in wrestling, when Andre turned his back on Hogan out of jealousy. Of course Hogan slamming Andre is still seen everywhere, that match broke some new ground for the storyline itself. Another great match was Ricky Steamboat vs Randy Savage. This one was an instant classic, when the IC title meant something. Steamboat won, with interference from George "the animal" Steele.

my favorite was wrestlemania 21, it was the first wrestlemania i watched live and i loved every second of it, it was where the first MITB match took place, the build up to it was massive and it was where batista and cena both became world champions. (at that time i was a huge cena fan... don't hate i was only 12 :p) undertaker had a great match with randy orton, rey and eddie wrestled in a classic, hogan made an appearance and it also had one of the greatest matches EVER with angle and michaels.

x-seven with III and XIX close behind. There wasn't a single match on x-seven's card that didn't entertain me in some shape, form or fashion. Even the APA/Tazz vs. RTC six-man tag team match was fun for what it was.

For me it has to be Wrestlemania X-Seven (17). It was the first Wrestlemania for me and really solidified my interest in the WWE. The card was amazing, the crowd was hot, and the promos were great.

The card:

Intercontinental Championship: Chris Jericho (c) vs William Regal

This was an amazing matchup between a technical wrestler in Regal against the charisma of Jericho. Excellent way to open.

Tazz and The APA vs The Right to Censor

If you didn't see it, then I'll fill you in: everyone hated the RTC. They were the thorn in the side of everything the fans stand for, and the APA and Tazz gave them a short and sweet whooping.

Hardcore Championship: Raven (c) vs Kane vs The Big Show

It was really more like Kane vs The Big Show, with Raven running around. However, this match had some great spots that took it all throughout the Astrodome, and was another solid bout on the card.

European Championship: Test (c) vs Eddie Guerrero

May both of them rest in peace. This was a decent match that showed us all the lying, cheating, and stealing side of Guerrero.

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit

This match should rightfully top some 'best ever' lists. A pure wrestling classic that broke down and got a bit dirty at the end. Still amazing though.

Women's Championship: Ivory (c) vs Chyna

A squash match that showed us just how powerful Chyna can be. Too bad she isn't still around.

Street Fight: Shane McMahon vs Vince McMahon

Everyone seemed to get involved in this, from Linda to Steph, and even some Trish. Good thing Foley was special referee to keep this thing together.

TLC II: The Dudley Boyz (c) vs Edge and Christian vs The Hardy Boyz

A truely amazing spotfest. All six of these guys brutalized each other with astounding accuracy. Even Lita, Rhyno, and Spike got involved. A must see for anyone that loves this genre of gimmick.

The Gimmick Battle Royal

A reminder of the past: both what was great, and what should be forgotten. Gotta admit though, some guys could still get it done.

The Undertaker vs Triple H

For all intents and purposes, this was the grudge match of grudge matches. Triple H gave the Undertaker one hell of a run, but in the end, Taker pulled through as always. Long and exciting match with many false finishes.

WWE Championship: The Rock (c) vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

Wow, was the crowd pumped for this. Perhaps some of the biggest pops ever for these guys, which lead to an amazing contest; suprisingly made no Disqualifications. In the end, we had one hell of a shocking twist, and Austin took the Title from the Great One.

Overall, the card flowed very nicely. Even the worst of matches were brief enough to keep the momentum flowing. To this day, it remains a PPV that I could watch start to finish and not really get bored.

My favorite Wrestlemania would have to be Wrestlemania XX. That card was pretty well rounded. We had:

Playboy Evening Gown Match
Torrie Wilson and Sable vs. Stacy Keibler and Miss Jackie

Fatal Four-Way match for the World Tag Team Championship
Rob Van Dam and Booker T (c) vs. Garrison Cade and Mark Jindrak vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. La Résistance

United States Championship
Big Show (c) vs. John Cena

Christian vs. Chris Jericho

Evolution vs. The Rock 'n' Sock Connection

Women's Championship
Victoria vs. Molly Holly

Cruiserweight Championship
Chavo Guerrero (c) vs. Último Dragón vs. Shannon Moore vs. Jamie Noble vs. Funaki vs. Nunzio vs. Billy Kidman vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Tajiri vs. Akio

Fatal Four-Way match for the WWE Tag Team Championship
Rikishi and Scotty 2 Hotty (c) vs. The World's Greatest Tag Team vs. The Basham Brothers vs. The APA

Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar

The Undertaker vs. Kane

WWE Championship
Eddie Guerrero (c) vs. Kurt Angle

World Heavyweight Championship
Triple H (c) vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit

This PPV was just awesome and even the bad matches were kept short. Besides the Intercontinental Championship, this is one of the few times where most of the titles are on the line.

Ill be "unkewl" and not pick an old, or attitude Mania, and go with the most solid card/production value combo, in WM24. Yes, the one from 2008.

solid to fantastic card from top to bottom, and truly a showcase of production prowess. THIS is what wrestlemania should be, and what they should try to attain every year. Incredible pyro, great atmosphere, awesome set, and all good matches. Fantastic show, the only flaw being Cole and Coachman calling the final match. Besides that, this is my favorite, and what i feel to be the best, WM of all time

Easily Wrestlemania 20 had to be the best of all time. Any time you get a chance to be part of the greatest event in sports in NYC it's something special. In addition, I loved the Christian vs Jericho match, Undertakers return and of course seeing Benoit and Eddie come out on top was amazing. It was the first main event at mania that the match was decided by a tap out and not by pin fall. I think their is something a little more climatic in that type of match finish.

There three wm that i can't decide from. One of them is wmVIII This is first one I saw live It has two of my fav mania matches of all time Bret heart vs Roddy piper, and randy savage vs Ric flairn, not mention the return of ultimate warrior and I remember thinking sid Justice was going to hurt hogan. WM XIX This to me is one of the best cards from top to bottom the first match was rey mysterio vs matt hardy, Then my second fav wm match of all shawn micheals vs chris jericho, Austin had his last match in wwe, on top of that it was the last time we saw hogan in match at wrestlemania not to men-chin that the match with vince was awesome. The main event Brock lesnar vs Kurt Angle a great wrestling match. Then wmXXII this one paper should have been bad but it wasnt RVD winning the MITB then Edge and MIck Foley is one of the best hardcore matches of all time. Shawn Micheals vs Vince Machmon was one of the most emotional matchs based on story line only, Then Rey winning the world heavyweight title, John cena vs HHH is just amazing match that people thought was not going to be that good.

p.s I love this thread.

Not a lot of credit is given to XII. The Goldust/Piper hollywood brawl was entertaining. We also saw HHH do the job of his life to The Warrior which as shitty as it was, its funny to look at now. The two main events were fantastic though. Taker/Deisel was a great big man battle and one on Big Daddy Cool's best in-ring performances. This was followed by the greatest match in history in HBK vs. The Hitman. The ironman classic had the perfect blend of technical wrestling, high spots, and the drama at the end was perfectly executed..

XIX deserves honerable mention as it had the best Rock vs. Austin match of all time

wrestlemania 20

Where it all begins......again!

- Eddie and Angle put on a classic match
- Undertaker returns with his deadman gimmick
- Evolution defeats Rock n Sock Connection
- Cena's climb to the top begins with his defeat against the Big Show

- and of course...Benoit wins the WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

- annnnnd then...he celebrates in the ring with his life long friend, Eddie Guerrero

I get the chills everytime I see this event

Wrestlemania 19

Chris Jericho vs. HBK clinic.

Hulk Hogan vs. Vince Mcmahon in a street fight

Rock vs. Austin for the last time... the two wrestlers I admired in my early teens

and who could forget

Lesnar vs. Angle one of my favorite matches to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back