• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Rumble of the Golden Era

Moneyinc

Occasional Pre-Show
1994 they changed the ring apron so let's keep this 1988-1993. What is your favorite Rumble from this era and why?

The rosters were so stacked from 1988-1992. I've never been a huge fan of the first two rumbles. I love the beginning of the 1990 Rumble. It just starts off with great wrestlers like Piper, Hart, Macho Man, Debiase, and then later in the match gets going with Hogan and Warrior.

The 1992 Rumble is my pick though. I watched this the other day and noticed Ric Flair must have knife edge chopped Greg the Hammer Valentine about 60 times. Hah Valentine likes using the Chop too so I just wonder what was going on behind the scenes there. Those chops hurt. It is one thing to take 10 or so. Haha Flair was straight up ABUSING Hammer's chest and it was just great entertainment. Also anyone who forgets how great HBK was before he blew up should go back and watch the 92 rumble. Just unreal stuff. I have a tough time picking between 90 and 92 but Flair and HBK in 92 were outta this world. There are also maybe 3 guys in the whole rumble I don't appreciate as a character. Even Repo Man is hilarious in this..

royalrumble1992.jpg

Your going to find it tough to get an answer other than 92. The title was on the line, and you have Flair surviving from #3 I believe to win it all. You also have Sid with the elimination on Hogan that was a total suprise and the crowd ate it up.

Taking 92 out of the conversation for a minute, I would say my favorite Rumble of that time is 90, and my favorite non Rumble match would go to Bret/Razor in 93. I say the 90 Rumble because we have the moment with Hogan and Warrior just a few months before their match at Mania VI. It was not known at the time that they would fight so this was some great foreshadowing. The Bret/Razor match is my pick for non Rumble match because not only was it a good match, but for a thrown together story they were able to sell the anamosity between the two with Bret employing some not so face tactics that foreshadowed what would be to come in the next few years.

I was out of work before the Royal Rumble last year, so in the weeks leading up to it I treated myself by watching all the past Royal Rumbles on YouTube--to my pleasant surprise, most of them were on there! They brought back some great memories.

I'm proud to say I had the first several Royal Rumbles on VHS, except for the first one, all the way through maybe 1994 or so?

I agree with the All-American Boy, Rougeau--most people will say 1992 was the best Rumble of your Golden Era and I would be one to agree with that. It was the only Rumble ever for the WWF Championship, and the roster was awesome. Ric Flair's build-up during the match was stellar.

Also, the announcing of Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan was huge for the match--with Brain cheering openly for Flair as his advisor and Gorilla repeatedly telling Heenan to just give it up because Flair had no chance to win at #3. Then, when Flair wins Heenan just loses it with his pre-Daniel Bryan "YES!" yelling.

So, 1992 is my vote but I'm going to go one further by ranking the Rumbles of your Golden Era, in order of what I believe the best ones were:
1--1992
2--1990
3--1991
4--1989
5--1988
6--1993

Rougeau and I agree on 1990 as well. Awesome Rumble! The feel of it was huge--hell, the roster might have been even better in '90 than it was in '92. The start with DiBiase was very entertaining, and the Hogan/Warrior segment was epic. Also, I really think 1991 was an underrated Rumble. Undertaker's first Rumble, Texas Tornado, the great runs of Rick Martel and Greg Valentine in the match.

On the flipside, 1993 was a huge disappointment. I remember thinking at the time how good '92 was and only one year later, WWF gave us THIS? At least Mr. Perfect was in it, and Bob Backlund, Flair and Savage...but not even these greats could save this Rumble. It wasn't AS bad as I remembered it when I watched it again, but it was a big step down for a transitioning WWF. It wasn't the worst Rumble overall, though--I give that one to, I think 1995 was the year? Whichever year Shawn Michaels won it with a new entrant every 60 seconds--way too fast of a Rumble. Fortunately they never had another one with entrants that quick in-between.

Cool thread--the Royal Rumble is my favorite match!

Great topic! ..wrong forum unfortunately. Most of the people here are so set in their ways that anything other than 1992 will result in being crucified. Fortunately, I don't care what basement-dwelling, Austin 3:16-shirt wearing wastes think. I agree 1992 was the best...but I am not close-minded and can contribute otherwise.

I discount 1990 and 1991 because Hogan won and I never cared for that. 1988 was awesome for me because I was flipping around the channels, with no idea wrestling was on (not on a Saturday morning?! Awesome!!), and stumbled upon it. WWF's greatness ended for me right around SummerSlam 92. So...

I will go with 1989. I always enjoyed lower and mid-card rivalries. Not everything had to be a classic match for me. (For example, the battle of the full nelson between Hercules and Billy Jack Haynes at WMIII was a nice little match and idea). So, Haku and Harley Race battling over the crown was fine. Six-man 2 out of 3 was cool too. The posedown ran long, but was a nice idea for the fans in attendance to get involved and was funny with Heenan playing to the Houston crowd. Women's match..well at least I got to see Sherri's sexy ass. Haha

As for the Rumble itself, I liked Ax and Smash starting things off. Andre being number 3 was also the only way to go at that point...well done. The idea of DiBiase using his money to get BossMan and Akeem in the ring at the same time to eliminate Hulk was great. And Hulk eliminating Savage was a good spot, well timed with Warlord getting dumped immediately, to leave time to set up the face off between the two with Liz in the middle. DiBiase bought 30--brilliant given his role. And a face Big John Studd winning, after showing some wrestling skill, was a nice touch--especially for me who started watching in 1985 and knew Studd as a bad guy. No reason to let him win and it was unexpected. And that was ok! Nowadays the winner has to be part of some master plan.

I thought it was a fun Rumble and had plenty of entertainment and storyline-building moments.

I agree that 89 was a great one too with Ax and Smash starting things off. I actually was a fan of the 2 Hogan won as well as he was my favorite. (2 was my favorite though. Not just because it was for the title, but just seeing Flair go all the way from number 3 was unheard of at the time. Bobby The Brain sealed the deal on commentary to. Just an entertaining event from start to finish. I actually liked all the Rumbles from the Golden era, but RR 92 is one of my favorite ppv of all time.

Great topic! ..wrong forum unfortunately. Most of the people here are so set in their ways that anything other than 1992 will result in being crucified. Fortunately, I don't care what basement-dwelling, Austin 3:16-shirt wearing wastes think. I agree 1992 was the best...but I am not close-minded and can contribute otherwise.

[YOUTUBE]G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/YOUTUBE]

How close minded can it be when you literally just state right after that you agree 1992 is the correct answer? That isn't being close minded, that's answering the question.

Think I'm wrong? Let's go back, shall we?

1994 they changed the ring apron so let's keep this 1988-1993. What is your favorite Rumble from this era and why?

Everyone here is answering the question, which is a great answer. 92 is probably the best Rumble of all time, let alone in that era. Unless you actually have an answer to the question that isn't 1992, then frankly, all you're doing is being a gigantic gasbag, and wasting everyone's time and space

I asked for favorite rumble here not best. There have got to be some people who prefer rumbles other than 92. Hogan fans? Flair haters? I mean it is pretty clear that the 1992 is one of the best if not the best, but I figured there might be some Hogan fans on here that might prefer the 1990 or 1991.

[YOUTUBE]G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/YOUTUBE]

How close minded can it be when you literally just state right after that you agree 1992 is the correct answer? That isn't being close minded, that's answering the question.

Think I'm wrong? Let's go back, shall we?

Everyone here is answering the question, which is a great answer. 92 is probably the best Rumble of all time, let alone in that era. Unless you actually have an answer to the question that isn't 1992, then frankly, all you're doing is being a gigantic gasbag, and wasting everyone's time and space

Hahaha! Haiku Hogan is a perfect example of a lowlife who has no idea that he is pathetic. While he is lining up his action figures to play with, I will talk to the rest of you. I agreed that 92 was great. But, what idiots like him would like is for everyone to come on here, agree with each other, and then close the post. You know...because it's fun to repeat the same theories over and over and state them as fact. He sees this as trivia, rather than opinion-based discussion. To the intelligent people who posted, great points. Hogan winning was fine, especially back then..I just rooted for others. And Warrior and Hogan was a great part of 1990's match. Also, the whole Slaughter/Savage/Warrior bit at the 91 show was great!

Haiku Hogan, all you did was prove my point, moron. This is an OPINION post, dipshit. 1992 was great. But instead of letting it end there, I went and spoke about another one. You are a total loser. When your mom brings your lunch to you in your racecar bed, tell her she failed you. And, also, close-minded was used correctly. Definitions--another addition to your list of life failures. Go to an arena and chant "What?" with the other trash and stay away from people trying to have interesting discussions.

OP, great post idea! I hope complete blanks like Haiku and others who state opinion as fact don't discourage you going forward.

I asked for favorite rumble here not best. There have got to be some people who prefer rumbles other than 92. Hogan fans? Flair haters? I mean it is pretty clear that the 1992 is one of the best if not the best, but I figured there might be some Hogan fans on here that might prefer the 1990 or 1991.

Exactly! Don't let people like Haiku ruin your great post idea. Sadly, people like him exist..barely. Your title says "Favorite" which is exactly correct for what you were asking.

I too enjoyed this Golden Era more than any others. I hope to read more of your posts. I enjoyed 1985-1992 mostly. Wrestling figures, Rock N Wrestling cartoon, WWF Magazine...all the things Haiku likes now, except I was a child and he is an adult who lives on this website.

agreed that 92 was great. But, what idiots like him would like is for everyone to come on here, agree with each other, and then close the post. You know...because it's fun to repeat the same theories over and over and state them as fact.

Which is fine, except you say right after that, while we're all close minded for going with the 1992 Royal Rumble, that you yourself say that the 1992 Royal Rumble is your favorite.

If it is, great. It's a great choice, and there's nothing wrong with just saying that. Instead, you go off on this gasbaggery tangent that really adds nothing to the discussion, at all. I'm sure you think you're adding to the discussion, but trust me, you aren't. All you're doing is gasbagging for the sake of gasbagging.

You're not adding insight; you're going off on pointless tangents

I had answered the 92 Rumble with reasons why I liked other as well. Here is a different take on my answer. When I watched the 90 and 91 Rumbles I was 10 and 11 years old. I had only one thing in my mind. HOGAN MUST WIN. I was definitely was a Hulkamania. When he won those two I was thrilled and they quickly became my favorites of the ones I had seen. When I watched the 92 Rumble I wanted Hogan to win the title back, and when he didn't I was disappointed. I was not a Flair hater and I love Bobby Heenan on commentary that night. I liked this Rumble a lot, but it wasn't my favorite until I went back and rewatched all of the Rumble as an adult. That is when I realized how good Flair was in that Rumble, and it quickly became my favorite one to watch. I have since watched it quite a bit. Just a different way to look at the question.

Exactly! Don't let people like Haiku ruin your great post idea. Sadly, people like him exist..barely. Your title says "Favorite" which is exactly correct for what you were asking.

I too enjoyed this Golden Era more than any others. I hope to read more of your posts. I enjoyed 1985-1992 mostly. Wrestling figures, Rock N Wrestling cartoon, WWF Magazine...all the things Haiku likes now, except I was a child and he is an adult who lives on this website.

Haha truth. Funny stuff.

Yea I actually go back and forth with the 92 and the 90 rumbles. I was watching the 1990 rumble last night and Jake the Snake coming out after Debiase eliminates Koko B Ware and Marty Janetty(who both got HUGE crowd pops when they entered) was seriously a great moment. Then Macho eventually comes out and Macho and Debiase double team Jake the Snake until Rowdy Roddy Piper comes out FIRED UP is even better.

I had answered the 92 Rumble with reasons why I liked other as well. Here is a different take on my answer. When I watched the 90 and 91 Rumbles I was 10 and 11 years old. I had only one thing in my mind. HOGAN MUST WIN. I was definitely was a Hulkamania. When he won those two I was thrilled and they quickly became my favorites of the ones I had seen. When I watched the 92 Rumble I wanted Hogan to win the title back, and when he didn't I was disappointed. I was not a Flair hater and I love Bobby Heenan on commentary that night. I liked this Rumble a lot, but it wasn't my favorite until I went back and rewatched all of the Rumble as an adult. That is when I realized how good Flair was in that Rumble, and it quickly became my favorite one to watch. I have since watched it quite a bit. Just a different way to look at the question.

Right yea I am kind of the same way. Back in the day I never appreciated heels. I never actually thought "wow flair is doing a great job selling himself as a heel here." I just thought Flair was being himself because back then, it was almost like Wrestling was real(though I knew it wasn't). I definitely have started to like different guys now that I can appreciate promos and stuff a lot more than I used to be able to.

Also Flair, Heenan and Perfect shoot a pretty darn great/hilarious promo if I remember correctly after that rumble.

Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVaPb24VJWo

Promos like this were the best. Flair and Macho Man were a perfect mixture of badass and funny.

OK, most are gonna say 92 - we get that, the one I come back to the most though is 93. You had some great "stories" in that Rumble.
Most importantly that this was the first time the winner was going to Wrestlemania... the stakes could only be bigger if the title was on the line...

No one knew Flair was "leaving" then, so to see him come out at #1 and Heenan's reaction was classic - and it led to that shock the following night when he was gone completely. The way they handled he and Perfect that night was...yeah you know what I'm gonna say...

Bob Backlund returned to lots of WTF's from the crowd with his bizarre antics and the hilarious "Opie" comments from Heenan but over an hour later he'd won them over with the first over an hour performance and people knew why this guy had been champion for Seven years straight. This Rumble was the first to have "guest names" like Tenyru and Carlos Colon, a tradition that has evolved into the current "surprise entrants" that have taken place nearly every year.

Where it went wrong was Giant Gonzales - it killed the momentum of the match, but stupid bodysuit or not - it was a massive moment to see someone bigger than Taker by that amount.

And then you got the ending which again, was a little dumb with Savage going for the pin but Yokozuna winning was the first "shock" winner of the Rumble. Flair wasn't really a surprise the previous year and really until Mr. McMahon won it there wasn't another "shock" in one.

Forgetting the gimmicks involved the talent in that Rumble was pretty damn good... Martel, Tito, Steve Keirn, Terry Taylor, and one final thing that makes it memorable...

The in-ring debut of Jerry "The King" Lawler...

I would say 1992 was the best will all the Superstars, I thought Hogan was going to win and cried when Ric Flair won. As a 7 year old I hated Flair for all the trouble he caused Sting in WCW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back