• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Pre-Match Promo

Topropecelebrating7

Dark Match Jobber
Hey guys.

Just thinking I would make a thread on the best before match promo. These are important to me because I believe it is a huge part of the storyline, there is nothing like the pumped up feeling you get as a fan when you see an awesome promo right before the big match. So I am going to give a few examples and links to some of my favorite promo's before a big match and would like if you did the same, these are my favorite's and I am sure there are more but these one's always come to mind and I think they are great pieces of work. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J80E-sYjcMI

Undertaker vs Kane= Wrestlemania 20
(This had a great build up from the Royal Rumble that year all the way to Wrestlemania, without actually seeing The Undertaker the videos and mind games were great and after not seeing the deadman persona for a couple of years everyone wondered what it would be like, this video that aired right before the match this night left chills running down everyone in the WWE Universe's spines)

Randy Orton vs The Undertaker= Armageddon 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_vJb4eiPpo

Love this one, made you feel that someone was going to get hurt this night, mainly Orton and once again shows the great build up and mind games from the Deadman

Shawn Michaels vs Hulk Hogan= Summerslam 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8H7ACLSauM

Two of the biggest attractions in history of the WWE colliding in a one on one bout at the biggest party of the summer! Posters were on mailboxes,garbage cans, etc; throughout the buildup to this match, showing some old HBK and some classic superhero Hogan for this one! Great buildup in the promo and the segment at the end showing that these two aren't all that different and HBK and his defiant statement's and Hogan with his usual ones along with the dramatic cinematic trailer feel made me shiver as this match drew near!

Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels= Wrestlemania 21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPS2JZIwqiI

Not much needed to be said here! This is a great promo that once again shows great build up from the Royal Rumble where these two awesome superstars crossed paths much to the WWE Universe's delight! Speculation was running wild on how this match would certainly steal the show at the 21st anniversary of Wrestlemania and we were not disappointed! Especially with the Hollywood feel to this years mania the promo was great and certainly had the crowd on their feet as this match was about to commence.

Anyways I hope you all enjoyed my picks and feel free to comment or add to it! Thank you!

I gotta go with the wrestlemania 14 promo with Kane and Undertaker. It built the match so well.. Another one that comes to mind is Steve Austin and Undertaker at buried alive. Neally all of Rock and HHH's...the attitude overall had really good builds

Ric Flair's final promo on WCW Sat Night right before Starrcade 93 vs Vader. Although the whole scene on the PPV with his family and the limo ride to the arena were classic, this Sat Nite promo, largely forgotten, was one of his all time best. Flair addressed Vader's dominance in WCW since the time he left for WWF but noted Vader never beat him. He talked about how intimidating Vader was, his massive size advantage, the fact he took out former Flair foes like Sting and Ron Simmons, and briefly addressed the revenge angle re: Harley Race. Then he tallked about how Vader didnt scare him because he's already faced the biggets names ever in wrestling (names several) and states that as physically scary as Vader is it isnt as scary as the plane crash that nearly killed him in 1975 (one of the few times he ever mentions this in a promo, even though for years announcers would mention it during matches). As for the "Win Or Retire" stipulation he states that doesnt scare him because if he cant win and be champ he doesnt want to hang around and nothing is scarier than that plane crash so no matter what Vader brings or how the match ends he knows he'll be fine.

It was for the most part intense, no humor, no "jet flying, kiss stealing" etc trademark catch phrases, but the laundry list of great opponents and the mention of the plane crash made it an instant classic. I'd put it in his Top 10 all time, really saying something when you consider some of the unforgetable ("She was mine before she was yours, she's damaged goods"), hillarious (making out with mannequins dressed as his opponents valet, handing training bras to challengers because they hand out with "little girls") and at times poignant (some great work with HBK leading into WM 24).

These are all excellent! Thanks for your thoughts! Another one I forgot about was one of The Rock vs Undertaker, I'm not sure if it was Backlash or not but it was when Taker was Big Evil. That's a great one! Keep em coming love to hear everyone opinions!

The promo for Austin and Rock at Mania 17. I think it had the song ' My Way or the Highway' by Limp Bizkit in it. It fit very well, and the hype in the promo fit the match. It was a Titanic clash, and you just knew this was going to be a classic.

I also liked the promo for Armagedon 2000, for the big 6 pack, Hell in a Cell, match. A great promo, a lot of hype and energy, and one of the greatest matches in WWE history. It definetly lived up to the hype in the promo.(IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back