• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Band With A Gimmick

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
To me, there's nothing more entertaining to listen to than a band who has a gimmick. Whether it be Alestorm's pirate gimmick, or Dropkick Murphys' gimmick of being drunk, rowdy, and singing Celtic punk, I love it. They always seem so much more interesting to me than regular bands, especially if all their songs fit together somehow.

So, what is your favorite "Band with a gimmick", and why?

For me it would have to be Abney Park.

I actually haven't been listening to Abney Park for very long, but I listened to this song and knew I was in love. Abney Park is a Seattle-based band with a Steampunk gimmick. I absolutely adore Steampunk. I always have, even before I knew what it was. I love to hear tales of airships and clockwork, and to find a whole band dedicated to such a style was just great. If you're a fan of Steampunk or even just this style of music, give their album "Lost Horizons" a download/purchase. It won't disappoint.

What about you?

My difficulty in answering this comes down to the defining the difference between a gimick and a band's style? In some cases it is very easy- the band you have named above Abney Park (which I tried to listen to but youtube was being incredibly annoying and stalling every three seconds so I have only heard about a minute of it) or your other favourite the Betamen, Alestorm or perhaps even Lordi who have a very defined philosophy or narrative behind their music. But what about bands who play indie/ punk/ metal/alternative? Are they playing a gimmick or are they acting as they normally would? How normal are musicians in any case?

Most of the bands or artists I listen to don't really put forward this kind of easily defined front or style but as with all people in the public eye it could be said that they are portraying some kind of persona. If its true the two artists whose image or philosophy I admire most would be Sigur Ros and Radiohead.

There is something very elemental with Sigur Ros- a real impression of ties to their community and a simple love of the music they make rather than any excess. Watching Heima (a dvd they produced where they played all accross Iceland in a mixture of deserted outside areas and in urban centers) you got a real impression how hand crafted their music was and how relatively free of effects it could be and how much they seemed like a friendly local band. Seriously if you ever get a chance to watch the dvd it is amazing- here is a preview clip for it.

[YOUTUBE]CfmpteEAGtY[/YOUTUBE]

Radiohead on the otherhand give off a lot more distant vibe. While they at the same time don't give the impression they like the fruits of their success they also exude a sense that they just want to be left alone. Their music is constantly developing and changing and sometimes (to me probably alone) they give the impression that they understand the core sensibilites of a band- that you must always develop and change and that some of the best music is complicated- music that you can listen to again and again and still draw out new layers of meaning. Their obscure and complicated lyrics, seemingly random cuts and breaks in the music- even those classic early heavy riffs in Creep where Jonnie Greenwood was attempting to destroy what he saw as a pop song really makes the song what it is.

Finally your Dropkick Murphys mention reminded me of another band I really like- The Blizzards. Completely different in their musical style than those named above- they are an Irish pop/rock/ska band which creates up tempo and relatively simple pop songs held together by lyrics which are always fun, sometimes meaningfull but generally relaying tales of from the traditional "lad" perspective. The band give the impression of immense fun and a night from which you would definatly have at least a story or two to tell. I think I left one of their songs in your thread but if you didn't see it- here is your namesake again.

[YOUTUBE]s_6u4c-BfEk[/YOUTUBE]

Lordi by far is my favorite band with a gimmick. I mean come on; who doesn't like seeing middle aged men in demon makeup and super-studded leather? Would you love a monsterman? :p

I think it's awesome that you mentioned Abney Park. I just started listening to them and yes, I am a dedicated follower in the Steampunk movement.

Hollywood Undead. they have the mask thing going but they are better than slipknot IMO. i

Ugh. If I could make a list of the ten absolute worst groups making music today, Hollywood Undead would undoubtedly be included on that list. Awful group.

Anyways, as for my own personal favorite band with a "gimmick", easy choice for me and that's The Misfits, the original incarnation of them atleast and not the absolutely atrocious group that Jerry Only has tried to pass off as the Misfits for twenty years now, obviously I'm referring to their time with Danzig at the helm as that's really their only stuff that matters, and it's some of the absolute greatest punk rock ever created as well as some of the most downright anthemic and creative rock and roll in general made in the last 30+ years. Amazing group that I've been listening to since I was about eleven years old and will continue to listen to until the day I die. Here are a few of their more gimmicky songs.

And what I consider to be one of the greatest songs ever written:

Ugh. If I could make a list of the ten absolute worst groups making music today, Hollywood Undead would undoubtedly be included on that list. Awful group.
Listen to Young by Hollywood Undead. then re-post your opnions on them.

Listen to Young by Hollywood Undead. then re-post your opnions on them.

Okay. Listening to it right now, this video:

Terribly unimpressive. Reminds me of a second rate Linkin Park without as much talent. The song is moderately catchy until the chorus kicks in and it sounds like every other song I've ever heard on a modern rock station over the past decade.

Look, sorry, didn't mean to make a jab at you personally or anything, I just really, really dislike Hollywood Undead. I did give that song a listen for you though, and I remain very unimpressed. Sorry man, just my opinion.

its all good we all have our opinions, and yeah dood linkin park is by far better, i love linkin park, have since i was like 8 years old :p
idk i like hollywood undead, i mean i dont love them but hey, its a gimmick thread not fave band thread so yeahh.

music wise, id have to say dropkick murpheys. i love that celtic punk sound.
but for the overall gimmick and hillarious entertainment appeal, i'd have to say Gwar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPNEkPm8g6k
these guys are INSANE. the music might be crap sometimes but the gimmick is freakin hillarious

Same. I love their rowdy, uber-Irish-ness. I'm irish too btw. Their music is great too.

They're not really a band (guitars, bass, drums, etc), and they don't really have a "gimmick", but Nox Arcana 'cause every album is pretty much a concept/gimmick album on its own.

Gimmicks? Is Punk a gimmick (BTW Damn you X for posting the Misfits first...)?
Bad Brains:
[youtube]0aPiKMYe82o[/youtube]
Gimmick: Being one of, if not the best, hardcore bands ever and oh yea they were all black in an otherwise white music sub-genre (Think the inverse of Beastie Boys)

Minor Threat:
[youtube]mOf6w59jz_g[/youtube]
Gimmick: Straight Edge (though I'm loath to call it a gimmick) BTW, this or something like it, would be my theme music were I a WWE superstar... though CM Punk is doing exactly what I would do :( so what's the point?

Ramones, The
[youtube]p-4EZyPIsSY[/youtube]
Gimmick: Really? One of Us, Pin-Heads, Gabba Gabba Hey, sneakers blue-jeans and leather jackets are the uniform I still wear from time to time. Yay Punk Rock!

I'm not 100% sure what constitutes a gimmick band, but from what I've read and seen so far I, unsurprisingly, agree with X, the Misfits put out some of the greatest "gimmick" songs of all-time.

I'd also throw in The Ramones (acid wash jeans and leather jacket seems to be the uniform/gimmick), Dropkick Murphys (Rowdy Celtic music), and Dragonforce (Video game metal, in concert they act like robots during song switches) but this is of course using a definition of a gimmick that I'm still a little confused about.

Anyways, as for my own personal favorite band with a "gimmick", easy choice for me and that's The Misfits, the original incarnation of them atleast and not the absolutely atrocious group that Jerry Only has tried to pass off as the Misfits for twenty years now, obviously I'm referring to their time with Danzig at the helm as that's really their only stuff that matters, and it's some of the absolute greatest punk rock ever created as well as some of the most downright anthemic and creative rock and roll in general made in the last 30+ years. Amazing group that I've been listening to since I was about eleven years old and will continue to listen to until the day I die. Here are a few of their more gimmicky songs.

And what I consider to be one of the greatest songs ever written:

<333333333333

Misfits take this easily for me. They were half gimmick of course, but also genuinly creepy dark dudes. The had everything from the awesome ghoulish makeup to the halloween decorations at their shows. Everything a horror fan could ever dream of. Not to mention that Glenn Danzig is easily the best punk singer/writer of all. Very few artists in that genre could write the kind of melodies that Danzig did. I could honestly go on forever about The Misfits and how the rule my fucking life, but I won't. I'll leave you with this gift instead:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oP7wHOHYCdc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oP7wHOHYCdc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Reactions: X
I am very surprised that this band hasnt been names its one of my favorite bands its called Alestorm its a Pirate Metal band they make pretty good music and its very catchy and entertaining some songs that you should check out is:
Keelhauled, Nancy the Tavern Wench, Lethiathen.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99a6DaheLqs[YOUTUBE]

Enjoy

While I'm not sure if it passes as a "gimmick", per se, I'd be hard pressed to not throw out two of my favorite bands.

Mayhem being the first. What's the gimmick you ask? Well, look no further than the former frontman, Dead. This man was so dedicated to the cause of the band, as well as his stage name, that he would bury his clothes in the ground for a few days before a show, just so he'd have that freshly deceased look to him. On top of that, he found a dead bird in the woods one day. He was so into his character, he gathered it into a jar, and would sniff it before every show, that way he would "have the stench of death in his nostrils". Does it get it any gimmickier? Also, their music is totally badass, and fits their image.

The other band is Kittie. I'm sure this should come as no surprise to many. As for the gimmick, it's quiet simple. A group, made entirely of females, who can rock just as hard, if not harder than their male counterparts? Yes please! And, again, it helps that they actually have chops.

Well for me it's easy, Breaking Benjamin. Now I know what you're thinking, "Stinger, are you crazy? They dont have a gimmick!" However, that couldn't be further from the truth. Their gimmick consists of having a few seconds of screaming in each song. It's sort of like Disturbed's "oh ah ah ah ah ow!" in each of their songs. Now usually, this screaming can last anywhere from a second to 3 or 4 seconds, which is alright, I can tolerate that. Listen to this song here, it's the perfect example of what I'm talking about.
[YOUTUBE]PmREF37eh-4[/YOUTUBE]
Now, the verse with the screaming part in it comes in at around 2:52, and lasts until 3:06. The screaming in this song lasts for a perfect 3 seconds, before heading back to the chorus.

As for why I like Breaking Benjamin, I like them because of the way their music sounds. It seems un-ordinary to me, which in Breaking Benjamin's case, is a great thing. In fact, behind Shinedown, they are my favorite band. Ben Burnley sounds amazing in his songs, and he sounds great live too, despite the fact that he had a lung infection a few years ago. Now, I haven't had the opportunity to see Breaking Benjamin live, however if they did come around here, I would see them. To put it simple, their just that good.

Hard to really gauge since a "gimmick" could conceivably cover a myriad of things &#8211; some of which aren't visual. Bad Religion, for example, could be a gimmicky band who's gimmick is singing/writing songs about politics/religion. One the opposite side of that coin (and sticking with the same Punk genre), The Misfits would probably epitomize what it means to be a gimmicky band seeing as they sing songs about death, halloween, skulls, etc. and all paint skulls on their faces and wear black when they play.

But for me, it would be any number of the Eastern European-style Blackmetal bands &#8211; Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Mayhem, Immortal, Satyricon, etc. All of them, as already noted earlier, take their performances to the extreme, and all bear the traditional black metal black/white face paint, coupled with spikes and leather up the wazzoo.

I would definitely have to agree on Alestorm for this one. If anyone's got a solid gimmick, it's the masters of Scottish pirate metal. Of course, Germany's Running Wild would be right up there on that scale, as they put out a very similar style of music- and they were doing it before Alestorm were.

Also.. gotta give the props to Lordi. You can't have a list about gimmicked bands and not have Lordi on the list.

Gogol Bordello definitely qualifies here. They basically started the sub-genre of "gypsy punk", which is a really unique sound. Their "gimmick", I guess, is a bunch of immigrants getting together to make culturally relevant music. The singer is from Ukraine, and alternates between singing in English and Russian. The other members are from all parts of the world, and play all kinds of eclectic instruments, from violins to accordians to buckets. Definitely worth checking out, in my opinion.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWYTyfQe-o8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWYTyfQe-o8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back