Fantasy booking: what to do with Roman reigns

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
The reigns topic as been done to death on this board over the year but I was listening to Sunday night's main event podcast and the first caller on the show brought up a valid point about reigns. He talk about how Vince as a dilemma with reigns because on one hand the diehard wrestling fans won't accept reigns no matter what but at the same time, he bring in a boatload of money in merchs sales. Like he said, when cena isn't a regular on the main roster, reigns sells more merchs then anybody else on the roster.

So I got me thinking, Let's fantasy book or role play here.

The scenario is simple, you are Vince McMahon, the CEO of a multi billion dollars wrestling company. You have to please the board of directors and the shareholders as much as the wrestling fans. You have a choice to make, either play it safe and alienated a section of the crowd just so you can continue to make a ton of money off reigns merchandise or do you take a risk and turn reigns heel which could either bring in more money or completely backfire like how the stone cold Steve Austin heel turn in 2001 did.

You have to take your personal feeling out of it and do what's best for business.

I'm going to start.

If I was Vince, I would play it safe at this point. I know that no matter what I do with the product, the diehard fan base will continue to pay because they will want to see their favorite wrestled. So why not just ride the money train that is Roman reigns and make the shareholders and the board of directors happy and help me get bigger tv deal and have somebody to represent the company for charity function and others promotional event.

In the end I would rather have piss off some of my fan base and play it safe then take a risk and lose a lot of money just to please a section of the fans that will continue to be fans no matter what.

So your fantasy booking scenario is...to basically do nothing?

In all seriousness though, don't expect Roman Reigns to drop the title anytime soon. Reigns has yet to really have a significantly long run with any title and I expect that to change once he becomes Universal Champion. Vince has put too much time and effort into giving Reigns big moment after big moment and cleanly beating Brock Lesnar before Lesnar leaves for the UFC will be his biggest. If Reigns' time as champ is short, then I honestly don't know what the hell all this stuff fans have endured with Reigns has been for in the first place.

So your fantasy booking scenario is...to basically do nothing?

In all seriousness though, don't expect Roman Reigns to drop the title anytime soon. Reigns has yet to really have a significantly long run with any title and I expect that to change once he becomes Universal Champion. Vince has put too much time and effort into giving Reigns big moment after big moment and cleanly beating Brock Lesnar before Lesnar leaves for the UFC will be his biggest. If Reigns' time as champ is short, then I honestly don't know what the hell all this stuff fans have endured with Reigns has been for in the first place.

I get you're point but what would you do in vince's place, do you take a chance and turn him heel just to please the die hard fans that won't except reigns no matter what they do and risk losing a ton of money in the process or do you just play it save and continue to run that money train that is Roman reigns? Like I've said a thousand times, if reigns wasn't making so much money for the company, Vince would have stop pushing so hard on reigns because he wouldn't push somebody that's not over but the problem is while He's not over with the die hard, he is over with most everybody else and he making a boat load of money for WWE so it makes no sense for them to stop pushing him and giving him big moment because that's what anybody that isn't a die hard fan want.

I have seen and given Roman Reigns a lot of chances. First, his booking wasn't interesting but now I'm unfortunately not interested in him anymore. I have no interest in seeing what he does now. And it doesn't happen everytime. It takes a lot to completely end my interest.

What would I do? Personal opinion but I loved Roman Reigns that beat the heck outta Sheamus & Triple H and even Vince. I'll prefer that.

I'd take the chance... I'd turn him "heel", but I'd attempt to do it in a way that fans can solidly get on board one way or the other and merch can still be sold.

The current lead up to Summerslam has really set the stage for a solid Roman heel turn that could really work. While it seems fans are getting bored of Lesnar, particularly as Universal Champion, he's still remains a huge draw and attraction. People still like to see Lesnar take his opponents to Suplex City and beat them up mercilessly. He has a raw aggression and power that is (probably) unmatched on the current roster.

However, Lesnar's character is currently drinking his own Kool-Aid and firmly believes that he doesn't need anybody... especially Paul Heyman. Kurt Angle terminating Paul's contract essentially dissolves the relationship between Heyman and Lesnar. As of that moment, Heyman has nowhere to go and nothing to do as far as WWE is concerned.

On the other hand, Roman *does* need Paul Heyman. Summerslam will be Roman's 4th attempt at beating Lesnar and taking his title. Despite the circumstances surrounding the other 3 matches, Roman can't figure out a way to win against Lesnar especially when it matters most. That's where Heyman comes in.

Paul has been around Brock long enough to know how to beat him. Maybe it's some type of physical injury or disability that's never been exploited? Maybe it's something more social or psychological. Regardless, Heyman holds the key to defeating Lesnar. Roman is so incensed with beating Brock for the belt that he's willing to sign on with (or sell out to, depending on perspective) Heyman to do so. Heyman will do anything to get back into WWE and moreover, get back at Lesnar who has betrayed him after so many years of association. The relationship between Roman and Heyman becomes symbiotic.

From the title win on, Heyman becomes the mouthpiece and manager while Reigns simply beats the life out of everything in his path. Where Brocks offense consists of suplexes and variants thereof, Roman's repertoire is far more diverse while being almost equally devastating. It'll be up to Paul to put over how dangerous Roman is, and it'll be up to Reigns to back it up by delivering with a newfound aggression and mercilessness.

From there, a number of options spring up... the most obvious being a big money feud between Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman. Depending on the money and his availability, bringing Brock back for a rematch come Survivor Series or Royal Rumble can make sense, especially if Brock is gone from TV for the 3-5 months in between.

Best case scenario of course is that Roman becomes a "cool" heel with Heyman by his side and merch sells that way. Fans who feel betrayed by Roman's turn jump on the Strowman bandwagon or similar, paying money in hopes to see the Roman Empire crumble. In either case, it takes advantage of the divisiveness on Reigns and provides a clear cut line for those to either cheer or boo Reigns accordingly.

The best course now. Heel turn at Summerslam aligning himself with Paul Heyman and the Authors of Pain. Perfect way to send Brock out looking strong in case you bring him back. And imagine the rub the AOP would also get being with Reigns & Heyman. Heel Champion Reigns and you have easy feuds with Stroman, Rollins, returning Ambrose, Lashley, etc... Would definitely help the storyline on Raw to. You could eventually face turn him back and re-join THE SHIELD to.

TURN HIM HEEL!! Literally everything has been tried already to get him over as a face. Can WWE please push Seth to the main event over this guy now

May have been discussed previously but I believe there is still a chance for face Reigns to be successful. What he needs is a Ciampa type heel that he can play off of, a joker to his batman. In my mind, only one man can fulfil this role, Dean Ambrose.

My fantasy booking scenario begins the Raw after Summer slam with Reigns having won the UC from Brock. He will of course be booed relentlessly at this point but he calls Seth Rollins down to the ring. Reigns puts Rollins over big time as the biggest challenge he could face for the title, Rollins puts over Reigns as the guy who brought the UC back to Raw and freed it from the a**hole Lesnar (surely a small pop for Reigns). Reigns offers Rollins a title shot in the main event. They have a great back and forth match, maybe even a couple of finisher kickouts. Reigns is poised to win when someone from the crowd jumps the barrier, takes out Reigns knee with a weapon (lead pipe, tyre iron etc). Ref waves it off, Rollins grabs the guy who is wearing a hoody and reveals it to be Ambrose.

It is announced the following week Reigns needs surgery, they do the whole video package of the surgery, really push the sympathy angle. Kurt Angle enforces the 30 day no defense rule and Reigns is stripped of the title.

The program then builds to a Rollins/Ambrose match at next ppv for the vacant title with Ambrose cutting promos about being the forgotten man and his when he's finished no-one will ever forget him again. He even takes out a couple of mid card faces along the way with the same weapon he used on Reigns.

Rollins Ambrose happens and Ambrose plays the cowardly heel role to perfection, the crowd are begging for Rollins to beat him. Ref gets bumped, Ambrose goes for the weapon, Rollins cuts him off but then Ziggler and McIntyre interfere as they still have heat with Seth. Reigns limps to the ring to try and make the save, takes out Dolph and Drew but Ambrose rolls Seth up, grabs the tights, steals the win and becomes new UC.

Build to next ppv, 3 way for the belt, Reigns, Rollins and Ambrose. Ambrose Ziggler and McIntyre become a little heel faction and Balor joins Reigns and Rollins for a couple of 6 man's. Every time Ambrose gets away from Reigns in some sort of heel fashion. Ambrose continuing to cut heel promos, now targeting Reigns. Final match before next ppv, Ambroses group takes out Rollins and he can't compete in the 3 way. Ambrose campaigns for one of Dolph or Drew to take Rollins place or have the match thrown out altogether. Angle makes it a 1 on 1 with Reigns.

Reigns dominates but Ziggler and Drew interfere and Ambrose escapes with the dq loss.

Build to next ppv, Reigns Ambrose cage match, Reigns gets the win after a big bump and wins back the UC.

A few blanks to fill in for the intervening weeks but if the promo work from Ambrose is enough to get him hated, I think Roman gets the big pop when he finally wins.

It's been 4 years since Roman first broke out in the main event scene. What more can you do? He has done everything and has wrestled everyone. If Vince pushes him then he must have something that works, I don't know what that is, but I think Vince knows better for his company than us.

Hopefully.

Let's see who he faces at WM 35 now that he has faced every big star the WWE has. That will be interesting.

First, Reigns needs a losing streak. Put him in high profile matches that he loses. Use Reigns to build up whoever is going to be in the main event with him or instead of him. Reigns should become frustrated and irritable about how he can no longer deliver big wins.

From there, have Reigns change his ring gear to trunks with no vest. Visually distinguish him from what people know, and maybe debut a new punishing finisher that looks nasty. Have him destroy some low level talent in exhibition matches and have the commentators talk up how he's changed.

Next he needs to be inserted into a real storyline with consequences. What does Reigns need to do to get back on top? I would have a heel wrestler use Reigns as a bodyguard for a little while like they're doing with McIntyre. Reigns can help this top heel secure a WWE championship only to backstab them and get a title match, putting Reigns back on top. See where the crowd goes with it, keep him heel if they boo or if they cheer market him as the cool heel he was meant to be.

First, Reigns needs a losing streak. Put him in high profile matches that he loses. Use Reigns to build up whoever is going to be in the main event with him or instead of him. Reigns should become frustrated and irritable about how he can no longer deliver big wins.

From there, have Reigns change his ring gear to trunks with no vest. Visually distinguish him from what people know, and maybe debut a new punishing finisher that looks nasty. Have him destroy some low level talent in exhibition matches and have the commentators talk up how he's changed.

Next he needs to be inserted into a real storyline with consequences. What does Reigns need to do to get back on top? I would have a heel wrestler use Reigns as a bodyguard for a little while like they're doing with McIntyre. Reigns can help this top heel secure a WWE championship only to backstab them and get a title match, putting Reigns back on top. See where the crowd goes with it, keep him heel if they boo or if they cheer market him as the cool heel he was meant to be.

Love the idea but they already did the first part of your idea last year with the braun strowman feud. Plus the problem with Reigns right now is that he's pretty much in John Cena's spot so while it would be nice to turn i'm heel, what'S the point right now, Fans that don't like him suddenly like him because he's a cool heel and those that actually like him which seem to be the silent majority just turn on him and move on to somebody else so your pretty much in the same boat that you we're before but without the huge money gain you had with his merchandise sells because let's face it, Smart fans don'T spend money on merchandise. But again i love the idea.

Take him off tv and put someone deserving in his spot.
Nice phrase, but who's is more deserving then him? Really please tell me.

The guy is making a ton of money for the company. Like it or not, He's the more over guy in the company because fans that loves him buys his merchs and fans who hates him, still react and talk about him. Which wrestler on the wwe rosters right now can you say that get this type of reaction outside the ring as well as inside the ring?

Plus the guy is a second generation wrestler and been in the business for 8 years now so he more then paid his dues at this point. So He's as deserving as anybody else as anybody else if not more of being in this position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back