Fan Superstitions

I'm a very big sports fan and I know that most of the regular posters in this section are too. However, my fandom sometimes gets the best of me and can get a little bit crazy.

Some people go absolutely crazy with their teams. They follow superstitions that they feel somehow can change the outcome of a game. I must say, that I am one of those people. I dont get too crazy compared to others. For instance, my uncle is a massive NY Giants fan. During their run to the Super Bowl in 2008, during every playoff game, he would wear a different Giants jersey for each quarter of the game. I'm not that crazy. My superstition involves my viewing of the game. If one of my favorite teams are losing while I'm watching, I will change the channel to see if it would reverse their fortunes. If their losing while I'm not watching, you can bet I'll be putting on that game. Even if they are winning while I wasnt watching, I wont allow myself to put on the game.

I hope I'm not the only crazy one on here. So what superstitions do you have, if any? How do you feel about these superstitions?

When the Cubs were in the playoffs in 2008 I watched game 1 at my uncle's house. They lost so I wanted to switch where I watched the game. I watched game 2 at my parent's house. They lost again. I decided to watch game 3 at my own house and they lost again and were swept out of the playoffs after a great regular season. 0-3 means that superstition is over.

This year during the Stanley Cup Playoffs my friends and I watched game 1 which was Nashville at Chicago at my house. The Hawks lost badly so my friends wouldn't watch any more games that round at my house. Then we watched game 1 against Vancouver at my place. The Hawks lost badly again. That was the last playoff game at my place. I gave up that superstition in 2008, but my friends refused to watch another Hawks playoff game at my place. No complaints.

My only real superstition revolves around my New York Jets. Every week when I go to the bar to watch my game (I need to go to the bar to watch it, I can't watch them at home), I wear one of my 15 or so Jets Jerseys. Since I have 15 jerseys, you would think I could wear a different one each week, right? WRONG. I refuse to wear a current Jet players jersey when I watch a game, because I always feel like they have a bad game when I don their jersey. So that would leave me to the 10 or so players who aren't Jets anymore, right NO. I won't wear their jersey if they are still active on another team, or if their contributions to the Jets are miniscule (Stupid Justin McCareins). I only allow myself to wear one of 2 jerseys. Curtis Martin (who will go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame thanks to his years with the Jets) and Wayne Chrebet (whom is the 2nd greatest Jet receiver ever behind Don Maynard, and it's close).

I have had the jerseys for 4 or 5 years now (I purchased both after their last games), and somehow god willing they haven't worn out due to constant wearing/washing.

Another minor superstition, during the 2009 playoff run, I made it my purpose to sit in the same seat at the bar for each game.

I don't believe I have any superstitious tendencies when I watch any kind of sport, I usually just sit there and watch for the sake of watching, enjoying the game to the extend that I feel is needed for me to keep watching.

I do flip the channels at times if my team is loosing, it's not due to superstition but more to the fact that I couldn't take the pain in watching them continue to loose.

But to your second question, I'm perfectly fine with people's superstitions, I find it to be just another way to express your feelings as a fan, something that everybody should be allowed to to the extend they feel is needed.

And I do sometimes enjoy watching how someone reacts, or tries to support their team through these superstitious acts. Like Jim Belushi (According to Jim) has always entertained me with his superstitious acts.

My superstitions get the best of me more often than not, especially being the baseball fan that I am.

A few instances are when players step on the chalk, I cringe everytime, If my team is losing in the 9th I will put on my rally cap, every playoff game the Cardinals have played in since 2004 I have worn the same Cardinals shirt, a cut off that says Slama lama ding dong. The biggest one that gets me everytime and should get just about every baseball fan is talking about a no hitter during the no hitter. TPP can attest to that because I red repped him the other day for mentioning the Double no hitter in Chitown a few days ago while it was in progress. My girl said something about it while we were watching the game and I didn't talk to her for an hour after it was broken up.

So to answer your question, yes I'm superstitious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back