• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Family of slain man requests guilty parties to not be executed.

LSN80

King Of The Ring
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/09/14/mississippi.hate.crime/index.html?hpt=ju_c1

This case truly sends chills up my spine. 49 year old James Craig Anderson was killed early June 26 in Jackson, Mississippi at the hands of 7 white teenagers. The teens had been partying early into the morning when they alledgedly decided to "go fuck with some ******s". Graphic footage on the scene was captured, as Jackson was killed by 7 white men after being cruly beaten. 19 year old Daryl Dedmon, 19, is being charged with first degree murder and could face the death penalty for purposefully running over Anderson as he tried to stumble away. However, Anderson's sister, Barbara Anderson Young, sent a letter to District attorney Robert Smith, requesting that he not seek the death penalty in this case. Excerpts from the letter include:

"Our opposition to the death penalty is deeply rooted in our religious faith, a faith that was central in James' life as well. We also oppose the death penalty because it historically has been used in Mississippi and the South primarily against people of color for killing whites Executing James' killers will not help to balance the scales. But sparing them may help to spark a dialogue that one day will lead to the elimination of capital punishment.Those responsible for James' death not only ended the life of a talented and wonderful man. They also caused our family unspeakable pain and grief. But our loss will not be lessened by the state taking the life of another"
Stories like this make me sick to my stomach. For the life of me, I can't comprehend or understand hurting another individual for anything, let alone killing them.But these drunk young men not only beat Anderson, one of them ran him over. Generally, Im opposed to the death penalty, but it's hard to consider walking the same ground as these racist bastards. When arrested, the following was attributed to him by the arresting officer.
"Defendant Dedmon drove the F-250 out of the parking lot and turned right onto Ellis Avenue,Just as Dedmon turned right, his headlights shone directly on Anderson, who, having been severely beaten, was stumbling in a grassy are near the motel's entrance. Dedmon accelerated, drove onto and over the street curb, and struck Anderson with the front of the F-250."

The defendant was quoted as saying:

"I ran that ****** over" .

In my opinion, pieces of trash like this dont deserve to breathe the same air as you and I, or eat three square meals a day. Regardless of upbringing, each one of us is responsible for our own actions. Regardless of the families request, my hope is that the DA will charge this men, and the others, with the maximum. If that means the penalty, so be it.

District Attorney Robert Smith said the following:
"We have a racially motivated killing. It was a vicious, premeditated hate crime.The teens came to Jackson and they picked out a black man, an innocent victim. They assaulted that victim, and then they just killed him.They took turns beating him, yelling 'white power' after every blow. "He was not remorseful," "He was laughing, laughing about the killing."

I think Ive said enough regarding my feelings towards these men. The fact that they drove 16 miles to find the first black man they could to beat up and kill is as premeditated as a killing can be. Id like to think and believe that the ideas of white power were dead in 2011, pure fairy tells about Klan meetings and burning Latin crosses. Who was I kidding? Racism, homophobia, and bigotry are alive and well. The boy showed no remorse and was laughing about it? Im sick.

If you were Anderson's family, could you find it in you to ask the DA to spare your son, sister, father, or mother's life?

Considering the family's plea as District Attorney, how would you charge the primary defendant who ran Anderson over?

How does one get to the place where they can kill without remorse?

Any other thoughts or discussion is welcome here.

I am indifferent to the death penalty. Unlike Anderson's sister who is against it for religious and historical reasons I just can't justify killing someone when I have no idea what happens to people when they die. I would be pissed if I found out some day that after death all souls (or whatever there is) were treated equally and the murderer never got his fair share of suffering. However, if something as horrific happened to someone I loved I don't know if my indifference would get trumped by my anger.

As far as I am concerned the DA, judge, jury should respect the family's wishes regarding the type of punishment as long as that abides by the law. I don't see any justifiable reason the family's wishes are not respected. Why hurt people that have already been hurt?

As far as remorse goes I think it is something that has to be taught. Women are far better teachers of guilt and remorse. I would be curious to see the roles those boys mothers played in their lives. However, I don't think you can assume that the lack of remorse in the one boy's statement is his true feeling. People can act stubborn in the most awful situations. This boy talks tough but he may just see the situation as hopeless and therefore all he knows to do is act tough. I, on the other hand can't walk past a gum wrapper on the ground without feeling some guilt for not picking it up.

As far as I am concerned the DA, judge, jury should respect the family's wishes regarding the type of punishment as long as that abides by the law. I don't see any justifiable reason the family's wishes are not respected. Why hurt people that have already been hurt?

That's a kind thought, but I can't see that the family's wishes should play a part in the type of sentence applied. The wish to spare this guy the death penalty is part of their individual philosophy; I don't see it having a bearing on how the state statutes for this crime are applied.

Look at it from the other direction: if the crime was involuntary manslaughter and statutes called for a jail sentence of 10 years, would the courts heed the family of the victim if they were calling for the death penalty?

Any crime that occurs as a result of one person choosing to deprive a person of their life is horrible; whether it be a hate crime or any other type of crime.

Why?

Because in murder, the perpetrator feels it's his privilege to determine whether the victim lives or dies. As far as they're concerned, the victim doesn't get a vote.....only they do. That's quite a presumption, isn't it?

Under the law, no one is entitled to that privilege. There are factors of intent and brutality that must be considered by a judge/jury, and the punishment will (or should) reflect extenuating circumstances, but if the crime warrants death under the rule of law, it shouldn't matter that the family of the victim feels differently. They are, of course, entitled to make their wishes known, but the law is the law and justice must be dispensed in an equitable fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back