• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Falling Skies

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
<nerd>

I've been dying for a decent sci-fi series since Battlestar Galactica went under back in 2009. Fringe stepped into that slot to an extent (and I love it), but it reminds me more of the X-Files-type sci-fi that doesn't deal with the alien route the way BSG did.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Skies>

Falling Skies tells the story of the aftermath of an alien invasion. It follows a group of survivors who must band together in order to fight back against the invading aliens. The group, known as the 2nd Mass (for "Massachusetts"), is led by Boston University history professor Tom Mason who, while in search of his son, must put his extensive knowledge of military history into practice as one of the leaders of the resistance movement. Mason's son Ben has been captured by said aliens.

Falling Skies is very BSG-like, IMO. Humans v. aliens/machines, struggling to survive in a world over-run with invaders.

Two-hour premiere wasn't too shabby. Best scenes were the 'talk' between Mason and John Pope (who Sci-Fi buffs will remember as Paul Davis from Stargate SG-1) and Margaret shooting Billy and Pope's other guy.

Anyone else giving it a go?

</nerd>

There are three movie genre's I have wanted to see made into television series for a while now. The first was Zombies, and The Walking Dead made that a reality beyond even my wildest imagination. The second was a post apocalyptic setting and Jericho fit the bill; but was unfortunately cut off. (more than once, I might add) The third was Aliens, to the extent of a takeover/post apocalyptic event.. I'm hopeful that Falling Skies will be what I've wanted out of that genre, but will need more to go off of.

While I admit I didn't watch all of the Series premiere, I did catch the last half of it (including both "great moments" you listed) as well as some other stuff; and the graphics of 'said aliens/alien-crafts' were slightly sci-fi corny. I'm going to hope that those images will improve over time, otherwise all this series will be is nothing more than a sci-fi original joke. The likes of Giant Octopus vs Mega Shark.

The dramatic storylines (Father looking for his Son) are a nice touch to beign with, but I can not and will not shake off crappy images of the main threat of any story, regardless.

So far so good with this show! I am definitely hooked.

I thought the 2 hour pilot was great and I was worried that the first "regular" episode would not be as good. However, it was the first show in a long time where I actually wanted it to be longer when the episode was over. They've done a good job mixing action with drama and mystery.

My concern is that they are going to get too ridiculous with it. I mean, the premise in and of itself is not that unbelievable BUT I fear that they're going to go down a path of turning the kids into Skidders. That's what they're hinting at. They put those things on the kids and then eventually they turn into skidders. If that's the case, it will be ******ed. They don't want to go so far out of the realm of possibility that it only appeals to nerds, IMO. Right now, the show is getting very good reviews from mainstream media.

I am hoping that the 2nd Mass meets up with the other resistance fights across the country, that type of angle will be cool.

Forgive me for skipping over people's comments, but I watched the first episode last night and I'm unsure if I'm going to keep watching it, if I do I'd rather avoid spoilers.

It's striking me so far as a bit Walking Dead but with aliens. Not totally sold on the leading man yet, the repetition of all the history lessons was starting to grate on me by the end. Plus I think Guy Fawkes would contest the point that bombing something from underground 'always works.'

The father/sons dynamic is different from the shows I usually watch, but there doesn't seem to be as much subtlety around it. I thought it was quite strange that when older douche son tells his dad he had seen Ben, the dad points out they need to think of the group. Wise but tough tactic. Then after returning to the group he changes his mind?

I'm maybe being a bit too picky about all this but I'm still stinging from the let-down of Walking Dead but will probably watch it next week to see where the storyline goes.

I loved the scene where the skitter was still controlling Mike's son through the short-wave radio signal from two weeks ago, but that final scene with everyone praying was a total turn off for me. Really validated the criticism of Mike Hale from The New York Times, who noted about the series that "the tone is placid and slightly monotonous, as if we were watching the Walton family at the end of the world".

I like the concept thus far, but if this pseudo-believer nonsense continues I'll bail. I didn't sign up for subliminal Christian marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back