• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

EY's Title Run is Officially Done

UFOcalling

Master of the Scorpion Death Lock
I know there was another thread started about Lashley defeating EY for the World Heavyweight Championship, but I felt this was a slightly different topic. If it's too similar, then I apologize in advance.

Up until EY's title win back on April 10th, he was doing more of a comedy act than anything else. I'll admit that he made me laugh, especially when he would lock up with the ref instead of his opponent. After EY beat Magnus for the title, however, they slowly made EY look more and more like a credible champion. A lot of people had gripes about that, the most common objection being that they should have built Eric up before he won the title. Granted - that's the way it's usually done, and the most logical way to make someone a credible champion.

EY started using the piledriver finish again, and I feel that made his title reign seem more legitimate. The piledriver has always been at least somewhat taboo in the wrestling business, for causing genuine injuries (some territories went as far as to outlaw it, as a shoot). Even though it's a "fake wrestling show", I could suspend disbelief and be convinced that a guy like EY could beat someone bigger than him - since he used the piledriver to finish most of his opponents off.

After losing to Lashely in his Championship rematch, it appears that EY will probably not be returning to the Main Event scene in TNA...at least not for a while. Most recently, when Magnus lost his rematch for the title, he didn't return to the title scene. The same happened to Bully Ray (after his second loss), Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode, Sabin, the list goes on. It seems that a lot of the new champions TNA create don't get more than one chance with the title, especially when they lose their title rematch (and also the "smaller" champions, and/or former XD competitors specifically).

EY held the title for a little more than two months, despite TNA catching a lot of grief at first - comparing Young's win to Daniel Bryan's WWE WHC win at Wrestlemania 30. There were beard comparisons, "underdog story" connections, even Dixie herself tried to compare EY to Bryan on twitter (why, I have no idea). EY did win the TNA title only four days after Wrestlemania, so even the most jaded fan can see why the comparisons (and/or gripes) were so prevalent.

Personally, I feel that EY did a good job as Champion. Like I already mentioned, he brought back the piledriver (which I first saw him use as the leader of "World Elite", as a heel) - and I was quite impressed seeing him perform a Death Valley Driver on Aries & Lashley at the same time (at Slammiversary, a few weeks back). I wasn't of the mind-frame that EY "deserved" a title run (as some were, similarly to Sabin's run last year), but Young as champion grew on me. His title defenses got increasingly better with each match, and he seemed genuinely passionate when delivering his promos. His reign probably happened a bit prematurely; it might have been better to see EY win the X-Division title first, then use "Option C" for his first title reign at Destination X this year (using the time in between to try and remove some of his "comedy" stigma)...but I feel Eric's "Just Crazy Enough" gimmick worked well for a relatively short reign this Spring/Summer (premature or not).

I know that Kevin Nash saw something in Eric Young, back when EY was made a member of "The Band" (before The Band fell apart, and EY went back to being a comedy wrestler). I even remember reading an interview where Nash compared EY to Shawn Michaels (I think he worded it as "someone he used to bodyguard for", or something like that). I don't think Nash ever used the exact words "future World Champion" when talking about EY, but if he's comparing him to Michaels then one would infer that from context. That comparison may have been a bit of a stretch, but I think that Nash's wrestling intuition is pretty good (even more so, now that he's older) - and he was correct in thinking that EY had/has that "killer instinct".

Given that Young lost to Lashley after invoking his rematch clause on iMPACT this week, he probably won't be given another title run (or maybe not even another title match) for quite a long time (if at all). Given that Angle said there will be a battle royal next week on iMPACT to determine the number one contender, I'd imagine that EY will be included...but I don't see him coming out on top this time. Yes, EY did win another battle royal to earn his shot against Magnus - but I can't see TNA (or any wrestling company, mind you) having the exact same outcome for yet another battle royal less than three months later. Been there, done that. Summertime seems to be when there's a bit of a lull in pro wrestling, and a lot of companies like to experiment this time of year. It seems to me that TNA's EY experiment is over (given TNA's history with former champions losing their rematch clause matches), although I could be wrong.

EY was gone from TNA for quite a while in 2013; I'd imagine he was busy filming his Animal Planet show(s) Off the Hook: Extreme Catches, and No Limits during that time. It's possible that EY was lured back to TNA with the promise of a World Title reign, and/or maybe TNA thought that they could get some crossover appeal from Animal Planet viewers. Hell, my 74 year old Dad (who has never been a wrestling fan) now knows who Eric Young is because of his AP show(s). I'd imagine that EY will be filming another season of No Limits, & maybe Off the Hook as well. Maybe that's why EY's run was cut short, but it's also likely that TNA wanted to have more of a "marquis name" as their champion for their upcoming NYC dates. We can only speculate about that.

Here are some discussion points for this thread, to help get the ball rolling:

Do you think Eric Young's title reign was meaningful (too short, too long, shouldn't have happened at all)?

Do you feel they should've taken the "comedy" gimmick off of EY for a longer period of time before giving him the strap?

Did Eric seem like a credible champion to you (at least by the end of his reign)?

Will Eric get the strap again? If so, how long will it take him to get there?

Do you think EY will leave TNA again soon, in favor of his AP hosting duties?

Will Eric win the Battle Royal next week?

Will Eric take the XD Title from Sanada before Destination X, then use Option C for another shot?

Does Eric "deserve" another shot at the title so soon (if at all), or should someone else use Option C this year (not limited only to Sanada, I mean does anyone else come to mind)?

I think EY was meant to be a transitional champ. His reign was good for what it was, but I didn't think he was gonna be a long term champion. He could take time off for his AP shows when the time comes, but he could get another title run in the distant future. I don't believe he's winning the upcoming battle royal for another shot though he could come close. I think the interesting question is the one of him deserving another shot at the title. The way I see it if you put in the time and hard work at any job then you deserve opportunities. That said, sure he deserves a shot again, even if he's not "championship material" to the masses. But guys like Joe, Roode, Aries, and Anderson also need shine as well.

Eric Young did a good job as World Champion but I think this will be his only reign. He was never meant to be a long-term champion.

EY shouldn't have been made champ at this time, or possibly ever. He is a solid worker in the ring but his character wasn't one that I could buy as World Champ - crazy doesn't mean stupid yet they had him do dumb things. I think because Bryan was champ, TNA wanted to show they could make a smaller guy champ too but forgot that they had done that in the past with AJ, Christian, Hardy, etc. As for the underdog angle, it would have worked had he actually been that underdog who comes back and wins but look at his career - had a big feud with Roode a few years ago and "won" his freedom but what happened after that? Roode became tag team and World Champ where as EY became knockouts tag champ. That's his career in TNA - win but his opponent goes onto greater things while he sits there. I think that created a problem since no one actually expected him to win and when he did, people weren't sure why he did.

For me, he was a transitional champ as TNA was trying to reboot themselves and he was a safe guy to put the belt on while they sorted out what they wanted to do as well as sort out some contracts. With the various guys available, I don't see them making him champ again anytime soon. If they had a secondary title like the IC title, I could see him as champ but I can't see him as X or World Champ.

Do you think Eric Young's title reign was meaningful (too short, too long, shouldn't have happened at all)?

It was too short. Not that I'm saying he's on Bret's level but he was being pushed in the same way Bret Hart was with the take on all challengers mentality. That's the best way to push a face champion.

Do you feel they should've taken the "comedy" gimmick off of EY for a longer period of time before giving him the strap?

When he initially won I thought so. However people made the case about him being away from the comedy stuff for a while and with me tuning out for awhile I can say the people who were watching every week were better judges of that than I was.

Did Eric seem like a credible champion to you (at least by the end of his reign)?

The way they were building him made him seem credible. He took on all comers and had a don't back down attitude.

I don't see it happening.

I'm sure he'll leave whenever they film those and then come back when filming is done like he has before. That's another thing to think about if he were to be champ again. Do you really want your World champ off screen like that for who knows how long?

Nope.

Will Eric take the XD Title from Sanada before Destination X, then use Option C for another shot?

I don't see that happening.

Does Eric "deserve" another shot at the title so soon (if at all), or should someone else use Option C this year (not limited only to Sanada, I mean does anyone else come to mind)?

While typing out this post I thought about the idea of Kenny King doing that though. While I have nothing to base that on I think it would be a good way to get Kenny in the main event picture. Have them tease if he's going to use "option c" or not. Essentially cashing in and talking about how MVP and Bobby just used him for doing their dirty work and not respecting him. I know he's a really good heel but I think in that situation it could get him over as a face.

Personally, I loved EY as World champion and loved even more how they were doing it. That bitter fat piece of shit Cornette can go complain elsewhere. There are real reasons why Smokey Mountain Wrestling failed... because the guy can't book his way out of a tennis racket carrying case. And that was evident when he almost killed ROH.

As for EY being champion, it was something new and fresh. To me, it was nice to see that he did love joking and playing around, but did everything possible to fight when needed to. He has always proven to be a true fighter in the past, so why was it so unbelievable that he got the title now? Plus, in a world of completely lack of originality; the way TNA was executing his phase from comedic to serious competitor is something to be greatly admired.

Definitely. It gave the feeling that A] Anything can happen in professional wrestling and B] Eric Young was willing enough to put the comedy aside to become a bigger star. I also liked how he realized what he did when he unleashed Abyss, so he took responsibility for his actions... people forget that part as well.

Nope, I loved the way it all went down. It was a legitimate shock factor that we don't see in wrestling, and it was even better to see that even though a guy likes to have fun; he can get serious in the snap of a second if need be.

Definitely. He was a credible champion way back when he was with The Band 2.0.... even more so when he ran World Elite. In my opinion, this guy has been TNA's true work horse fr years and it was about time he got the respect he deserved.

I'm not entirely sure. If they revive the TV title soon, then I'm thinking he'd be the perfect candidate to hold that strap until he's ready once more for main event gold. If they don't, then I think he'd be the perfect candidate to take the title back for TNA.

I'm sure he will, but I don't expect him to be dropped too far down.

Doubt it

Doubt it.

I think he should win the BFG Series personally, but that's just me. Are they even doing the BFG Series this year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back