• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eric Young: World Title Contender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
I say yes. Now that that Super Eric bollocks (and I mean bollocks, even by the most avid fan's standards) is behind us, it's time for Eric to shine. Some would argue that his time to shine was when Samoa Joe put him over with his shoot after Scott Hall had a case of the sniffles. I'd agree, but I don't think they missed the oppurtunity entirely.

Obviously, I'm not saying Eric should suddenly grow a pair and start cleaning house when the Main Event Mafia come to visit. I'm thinking he'd be a world champion on Mick Foley terms; a loveable hero. I wouldn't recommend keeping the strap on him very long but I think he's capable - he's pretty good at making heels seem sadistic. I'd pay to see an Angle/EY match. Or a Sting/EY one actually.

I don't actually pay though. I just have to wait until Thursday at 4 AM.

Although I'm glad they're changing his gimmick to make him more serious, I could never actually see Eric Young as a legitimate main eventer. He'd need a major gimmick overhaul and a monster push, that I just don't see Eric ever getting. Sure his paranoid gimmick is going away and his super eric gimmick is finally buried, but with that said, what is Eric Young without those gimmicks? What seperates him from the rest of the roster? Lets see where his singles push in the X-Division goes before he's thought of as a possible main event player.

I say yes. Eric is very talented, and when I do watch TNA he is one of the main people I pay attention to. He has great in-ring talent, and his mic skills are also good. TNA fans love the guy because he just has a face persona, and I'm really into that type of thing. Eric is very talented, and I highly doubt it will be long before TNA moves him into main event wrestling, and eventually he gets the title.

I always see Eric Young as a talented wrestler with a reasonbly good gimmick, but not a world champion main eventer gimmick. However I do belive that with the help of perhaps a Mick Foley intervention Eric Youn could ineed become a sort of Mikey Whipwreck world champion. I dont think the belt would be kept on him very long mind you and I dont think it would raise the companys status but it would be nice to see a guy like him wear it for a week or so, in the future that is.

I can't picture it. When he was put into the main event at I think Turning Point a year or so ago, the first thing I thought was WTF? He just didn't fit at all in there with those guys and still wouldn't today. He's fine in the ring and plays his gimmick well, but some guys are just career midcard wrestlers and there's not a thing wrong with that. Young's gimmick of being paranoid of everything has calmed down a lot so it's a lot easier to take him seriously, but I can't picture him ever being more than a solid midcard guy. He might get a title shot one day, but I wouldn't see him as a threat to it.

I could see Young as a viable world title contender or even holder some day. How can you say the guy won't get past the midcard? He is only 28 years old, he can only improve and has yet to hit his prime. If he has the passion and drive to be the best, he can easily excel all of our expectations. I won't say he has the look, because as much as we like to convince ourselves you have to have the "look" to be champion, guys who did not have said look surprised us and made world champion anyway but Eric Young is not so far from being a total package, at least for TNA. He's an original, at 6 feet, he's pretty tall compared to the other X-Division guys, he's a nice looking guy (and I say that in a totally non-gay way), he's got in-ring skills and exceptional mic skills that will only improve. After seeing Shelton step up his mic skills from terrible to about good this year, I think ANYONE can do the same. Eric has also shown the ability to connect with the fans, albeit with a comedy character but if he can garner that same support as a serious competitor, the sky is the limit for EY in TNA. On the other hand, in WWE the limit would be the sky for him because when you're six feet, you're still considered short.

Yeah he's shown the ability to connect with the fans, but a lot of wrestlers can do that. that's just part of the formula for a world champion. Barring a massive gimmick and character overhaul, Young just doesn't do it for me. He has the ability on the mic to do a decent, albeit not great, promo, but still he just doesn't have that it factor to him. Young's in ring game is just barely above average to me as well. All in all, it seems like he adds up to all that all over: just above average.

im going to have to agree with KB here, alltho young is somewhat entertaining, he just dosent have the it factor that is needed to make a champion, so like sam im going to say a very short reign, wouldnt hurt him any at all, but all in all, eric young, will always be a solid midcard/upper midcard wrestler, and theres nothing he can do about that, he dosent have the look, the it, or the in-ring skills to be champ (i have to admit, while not being as entertaining as wwe, TNA is more talented when it comes to their ME is why i say that)

Yeah, I think Klunder hit the nail on the head here. I like Eric Young, because he plays his role very well and is a decent all round superstar. I wasn't a fan of the Super Eric gimmick but I'm glad that he seems to be wrestling as himself now. He has the look of a superstar. He has decent mic skills and he is fairly good in the ring. But to be a World Champion or even a contender for the belt, being good or decent just isn't enough. Also, he just hasn't had the right build up to make it to the top.

He's currently in the X Division Title picture. Therefore if he were to have a shot at Sting's World Title, it would be a large and quick jump for Eric Young. Eric can connect with the fans and is a great babyface. He is very over with the crowd, but he just doesn't have the "it" factor. But with a proper build up and a slow but steady push to the top, I can see Eric Young winning the TNA World Heavyweight Championship one day. But at the moment, he just isn't ready for the big time.

Fast pushes to the top of the mountain never ends up being any good for anyone. If Young is pushed for a year, then by December 2009 he may be ready for a World Title shot and possibly even a reign with the belt. But he still needs to show me more on why he deserves the main event push.

Eric Young is a solid midcard talent with a nice even all-round ability level. Could potentially have a good match with just about anyone. He proved to me a while ago that when he is called upon (to replace Scott Hall) he can deliver. But as has been said, that isn't enough to get him the Title. He doesn't have the "it" factor and, quite simply, i doubt many would take him seriously if he was in the main event. Not just by his previous gimmicks, but because he just doesn't look like a big time player. The upper-midcard echelon is the best he can hope for.

I think Eric Young could be a contender in the future of TNA, but to be honest he needs the time to seperate himself from the stupidity of his 'Paranoid' Eric and Super Eric gimmicks. Give him a few years and he could do it

He has the look and ability, but like the majority of comedy characters, to be taken seriously, you need to seperate yourself from the past. If he can do that, he's got gold in his future

Eric Young a world title contender? Sorry not going to buy it. The guy is stuck in midcard limbo for the rest of his career. I don't think the guy has the talent to break away from his former paranoid gimmick, which i did like. Eric is trying to be one of the leaders of the frontline, but when the guy gets on the mic, it just seems too forced & not real.. Even the fans are slowly starting to not buy "Im Serious" Eric Young...But we'll wait & see what happens... To me the guy has a personality of a wet mop & will forever be stuck in mid-card status..See Cute Kip's career :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back