• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eric Young v. Being Serious

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
Comedy wrestlers have forever been known to carry the handicap of not being taken seriously in big-match environments. And for EY that's no different. Once on the verge of a major push back in late 2009, it would seem TNA would rather have him acting crazy and doing all sorts of crazy stuff than use him as a serious wrestler. However, if he ever were to try again at going up the card and shedding most of his comedic demeanors, would you take him seriously? I would. To me he was a phenomenal heel when he led World Elite and was a pretty good face when he feuded with The Band. When EY is given the chance, he delivers. Face, heel comedy or not.

I think that I still could take EY seriously. He is good on the ring, and as you said, can deliver in any role he is given.

I worry though if the rest of the TNA viewing audience can take him seriously though. TNA has done everything they can to make EY laughable. He has been a superhero, a lakey for team Canada, afraid of his own pyro, and begginging for his job in the crowd. That resume is going to be pretty tough to overcome.

I would love to see it though. EY was really good as the leader of World Elite. I liked him as a heel and thought that he was on the rise.

This could easily be done by having him turn on Orlando, and then start taking out mid to low card Impact Zone favorites like MCMG, Amazing Red, Kendrick, etc. Then let him mess up a few of the mid-upper card guys like Kaz, James Storm, & Samoa Joe.

It is unlikely that this will happen, but I wish it would.

Yes, of course. And here's the reason why.

Eric Young does not look like a goof, he only acts like one. When he cut his hair and started acting like a heel, he had no spark of the old EY in him. He looks mean, he's heelish, he's intense. His emotions are very natural, they surface easily. Eric Young has the talent to pull anything off, that's why I like him so much. I appreciate that in wrestlers. He can be a great heel, he can be a loveable face.

If he were ever to become serious again, whether he's a heel or face, I'd thoroughly enjoy it. I like his look, I like him in the ring, he's very natural and very good at whatever he does. If I were in TNA's shoes, if I were to ever turn EY heel and serious, I'd build him up and groom him for the Main Event. Young is tremendous.

He's probably the best heel TNA have ever developed by themselves, but I think he should have left after The Band thing. WWE might have picked him up but now, I don't think so.

not IMO. I only started watching TNA in 2010 so I never got to see EY before that. when I saw him teaming with Kevin Nash and getting involved in the feud with the Band, I thought he was very week. boring. he's too short/small and not a flier.
I think he has done way better with comedy in TNA. I actually care to watch/listen to him now where before I thought he was just useless.

I think that EY is more over with the crowd than the crowd thinks he is.

I know that makes no sense, but this is the Impact Zone we're talking about. That place has grown rather stale, but I feel like EY gets a bigger pop for his current character when he's not in the Impact Zone. With the right storyline, I don't see a reason why it would be hard to take EY seriously if they decided to get serious with him. He's a wonderful talent that you can get behind if he's face, or hate if he's heel.

i think ey should stay in the comedy role and get pushed! its very rarely done but ey could pull it off!

I honestly cant take him seriously anymore.

Hes been repackaged and pushed out to the fans so many times hes just losing credibility.

It all depends on the manner of the turn I suppose. By that I mean instead of him just walking out one day with a serious face on, if TNA were to give him a little storyline that would make him go one way or the other then it can definitely work.

Option A : Turning him heel.

This is the easiest but there's a chance of it turning nasty in the wrong way and that would be to have him snap at OJ. Maybe he says he deliberately acted like a clown because that's the only way he could cope with being in a team with him when he saw his former Team Canada partner Roode doing so well.

Option B : Turn him face

Have someone (not sure who) just beat on him for being a goof and taking up a lot of time when they should be garnering more attention.

Either way, EY is liked enough by the crowd that whichever hypothetical path they were to go down I couldn't see the crowd being passive about it. The guy has time and the ability to do this if he/TNA wanted.

I know I could take EY seriously. I love the kid and he has been one of my favorites since I started watching TNA. He was a great heel during his World Elite days and even as a serious face he was entertaining. Sure Eric plays the role of a comedy guy much better and is much more entertaining, but there isn't anywhere he could really go from there. The most I can see EY go in his current stage is a tag team title with OJ and that is highly unlikely. To me Eric Young is the Santino (or Santino is the EY) of TNA. He is entertaining and everyone likes him. Plus most want to see the guy pushed no matter what the stage. I still see hope with Eric, as he has ditched the comedic shtick before to get a push and I think he could do it again.

I'd more likely be able to take him seriously than Abyss.

EY seems to have that thing where he could go between serious and comedy character easily and it wouldn't seem forced. Like Zevion_Zion said, EY only acts like a goof and can easily act serious given the right storyline and oppurtunity. In a way he's similar to Chris Jericho, when Jericho came back in 2007 he was doing comedy skits and was funny, but he could also be serious, he then went fully serious when he started to fued with Shawn Michaels and it seemed so seamless and wasn't forced, I see EY possibly doing something similar.

I like EY serious or as a clown.

I think they could pull anything off with him within reason. I mean they can't just make him a contender to the WHC overnight, but what they could do is make him a tag champ with OJ, have them fight split them up give him the x-division belt then make work his way up as he is now telling everyone that I want the WHC and to be taken seriously. A little push like that might be what he need to be taken seriously and create a little interest.

This is why I love EY. He's extremely versatile and can easily and naturally play the role of face or heel. I personally thought he was brilliant as the leader of World Elite and had it not been for the Main Event Mafia at the time, I could've easily seen EY as TNA's top heel. Even now, if he were to turn heel I would still take him seriously. Having him turn on Orlando Jordan would probably be the best (and most obvious) way to do it. I sure would love to see him turn heel and work his way up the card again but he's also good at playing the comedy character. Say what you want about his current gimmick but it's made me laugh quite a few times. Comedy face or serious, demented heel. Either way, I'll take him seriously and I'll be a fan of his work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back