• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eric Young: Rising Star or In Over His Head???

ramblinroy68

Occasional Pre-Show
Last night on Impact, we had Eric Young, RVD, and Hardy vs. Hall, Nash, and Waltman. During the initial segment Eric Young comes out looking good for standing up to the Band. Then, during the face promo, he clearly is head and shoulders above either Hardy or RVD with respect to an interview. Don't get me wrong here, I love Hardy and RVD but their promos are not the reason why. RVD can work it sometimes, but its hit or miss.

Back to the point, Young came out of that interview looking like a major player. Then the main event Young hits the elbow of the cage. (Not sure he was comfortable up there but very few would be.)

Will Eric Young get the push from Nash and the boys? Can he handle it? Could EY be the breakout star TNA is looking for?

I personally think Eric Young could be a major player for TNA. When he led the world elite and was battling with the MEM, he seemed to me to have IT. He does a great job in promos. I see him as a cross between the personalities of Jericho and Stone Cold. (I AM IN NO WAY SAYING THAT HE IS AT THAT LEVEL) I just think he teeters between hot head bad ass and calculating. He had major fan support when he did the Don't Fire Eric stuff. I think the crowd could really get behind him. If Nash has decided to put him over that would be huge for his career. He is a little on the small side, but so is Jericho.

Could he be the TNA version of a Jericho like performer? Smaller than a lot of the guys he goes against, but you believe he is smart enough to out wit them. Jericho was a goofy character at the beginning of his career who the fans got behind. Don't forget all the temper tantrums he threw in WCW. He turned heel and face a couple of times, before settling into this persona he has now.

Can Eric Young do this? Does he have what it takes or is he in over his head with the band, rvd, and hardy?

I agree that EY could be a major player... He has proven his loyalty to the company, he can out wrestle 95% of the talent in TNA, and his mic skills are getting better every week...

We all know as good as Kurt Angle is he only has a few years left and who knows how long Ken Anderson will be there before he goes back to McMahon Land... That leaves people like AJ, The Pope, Beer Money, & Wolfe to be the future of TNA.... I personally think we can throw EY in that list because I agree with the statement above comparing him to Jericho & Austin...

Austin & Jericho both had a fair ammount of success in ECW & WCW but neither were breakout stars... Then they went to the WWE and their stock went through the roof... I see the same from EY only this time I think the star wont have to go anywhere to see his star shine... EY in 2 years top will be 1 of the top 3 stars in TNA if not the top star...

on mondays episode of iMPACT Nash offered EY a spot in the band. which he rejected, and hit him in the face
What if Eric Young accepted nash's offer and became a part of the band. I would've enjoyed this, it would've put a younger member in the band. Although, him teaming with RVD and Jeff hardy would do wonders for his confidence, I mean, they are two of the best ever high flyers.
back on topic, what do you think would happen if EY accepted nash's offer
PS I wrote possibly spoilers because Aussies get impact on saturday nights, soo...yeah

Definitely rising star, Eric young was going nowhere with the WE, he was horrible as a heel and is now playing with the big boys, REALLY big boys. I can already see EY as champion within the next two years, if he can keep up a decent feud with the band. I am extremely enjoying this feud up to know.

I've posted previously that my problem with EY is that he lacks credibility in the ring to be at the same level as Hardy, RVD, or the Wolfpac. I can only recall EY having 2 matches since he won the Global Title at Bound for Glory last year, against Hamada and Waltman. Even in the cage match, he gets taken out early, hits one move and that's it.

EY has potential, but TNA needs to put him in the ring and have him win some matches cleanly. I could see them going the route of EY having to go through Waltman and Hall to get to Nash. Waltman can still go in the ring, so there is potential for some good matches.

The other 5 guys in the cage match have built up in-ring credibility by having matches on tv for years. So it's hard for me to buy EY at the same level right now when I can only remember 2 of his matches and one of them was against Hamada.

I don't blame EY entirely for this though. Russo has done him no favors in the way he was booked. The fact he didn't actively defend the Global Title hurt not only his in-ring credibility, but the Global Title's credibility as well.

I agree that it would have been a great move for EY. But since he didnt accept its hard to wonder what he will do when this storyline is done. I honestly think he needed to join The Band just to stay relevant in TNA.

But yeah I agree that it would have been refreshing to see a younger man to the band.

EY is a great wrestler, He actually looked like a top maineventer on Impact. This is EY's time to get a major push and his push will be without the band. IMO EY doesn't need the band to get in the mainevent level. Eric Young has enough potential to be a one man band. I honestly see EY rejecting Nash's offer. Now by rejecting that offer, I see a feud between Nash and EY, And the best guy to help EY get over the crowd as a face will be not other then Nash. Nash is great and Nash will be EY's stepping stone.

I like Eric Young, but I appreciated him as a ticked off heel. When he quit being the doofus and turned on Jarrett, that was great stuff, then he walked around with this chip on his shoulder and did some great mic work and had some nice matches.

I think he turned face way too soon, whatever happened to leading the International guys? Kinda like the Main Event Mafia, just there one week and gone the next with no explanation, I find that annoying as a guy that watches every episode, no closure for what you've been watching for weeks.

Anyways, my opinion, turned face too soon, much better as a heel. Needs to stop grinning and giving creepy looks.

I agree. I did like his stint with Nash as out for revenge against the Band. Then when Nash turned on him, I was like..okay. Now its time for someone else to kinda take the light. He's had a good run as leader of WE, and running w/Nash. Then to let Nash go to his own green pastures. But I do know EY is good, but it seems like he keeps dragging from one story to the next, I'm not quite sure how he fits in w.RVD & Hardy. Maybe I'm still stuck and being a snob from their WWE days, but just something in my gut says maybe like Kaz or Shannon Moore would've been a better pick, or even Jesse Neal.

Rising star.. the guy's every bit the wrestler of an AJ or a Daniels and he's got 10 times the charisma and promo skills, and by the way he's nearly as over as Joe, Beer Money or Hernandez with the TNA crowd, being that said i understand why Jim "the purist" Cornette didnt want t push him, if you have charisma and dont't put a 60 minutes "technical classic" he won't like you, i'm glad he's gonr from TNA...
going back to Eric, i'm digging the direction his character's going, into a Stone Cold-ish anti hero, that's what a regular fan can relate to, and that's the kind of face that TNA should be looking for, so, he's got a big chance now to shine...

EY is definitely a rising star. I've seen it in him since the break up Team Canada. The character he currently has is that of the bad ass face, and it suits him. His is definitely on his way to the main event in TNA and Nash will be that guy to help get him over. As soon as Nash and him were paired up, I figured either Nash would turn on him and get him over through a feud or they would get over through tag team work. EY has excellent charisma and is actually a pretty good performer in the ring. He can hang with guys like Joe and AJ and Abyss and really help establish a fine a line of TNA main eventers.

Absolutely in over his head.

Look, the guy is an okay wrestler at best. I always preferred Petey Williams myself. But if TNA is looking for a new face to match up to work with The Band, Hardy and RVD, they'd better find someone else that could have fit the bill.Absolutely no one is going to take him seriosuly, and though the TNA marks will try to defend him because he's an "Original!!!", the fact is that the guy just isn't a big enough name to be working with the names he has been with. If I were TNA, I'd give up this whole dumb "Samoa Joe got party vanned" and let him be the face that works with Hardy and RVD. He's far more credible, and is a far better wrestler than Eric ever has been.

Eric's ok, but he's mid card fodder at best. He should never be in a main event program, and if we're lucky, Young and 1-2-3-Syxx-X-Waltman-Pac will work their own little program in the mid card, while the Somewhat near the Mid-Outsiders can work with RVD and Hardy.

I've got to disagree with you Tenta, but my complaint isn't as much at your comment as it is with the conflicting ideologies on these boards. On one hand, people rag on both companies for not elevating new stars and constantly putting the same people over. Then you see that same group of people try and rip down anyone that is given a push because they want that push to be given to their favorite wrestler.

Eric is a solid wrestler with a good look. It has been said over and over, but in ring wrestling doesn't draw money. I don't like that fact, but I have learned to accept it. If it did, AJ Styles and Shelton Benjamin would be this decade's Austin and Rock. It is character and charisma that turns wrestlers to stars. Young is a solid wrestler, who proved that he is comfortable on the mic and has a good look. If they trust him, why not try and develop him and turn him into a draw. Eric has been more entertaining in the last 6 months in TNA then his entire previous run, and I hope they continue with the push.

I don't buy into the TNA Original argument either because lets face it, for every Styles, there is about 5 terrible workers that came out of TNA in the beginning. But if there is something there, and with Young at least in my opinion there is, it would be foolish to not try and develop it. They tried the same thing with Petey (thought it was a crappy gimmick) but as good as Petey was in the ring, he had 0 charisma and couldn't cut a promo to save his life.

Eric Young is definitely in over his head.

That's the first thing I thought when they put him in the main-event last week. While I agree he's shown improvement since being "repackaged", he's still a glorified mid-carder in my opinion. Here's why:

1. He doesn't have the look. Although his lack of height can be overcome, his stumpy arms and midget proportioned body makes him hard to take serioiusly in the ring. It may seem overly critical, but I already have to suspend my belief when I'm watching wrestling, seeing EY-Rex put the beat down on bigger guys just seems silly.

2. He's nothing special in the ring. He's not bad, but nothing that blows you away. He's average at best.

3. His gimmick, although improved (The black leather jacket is cool, or better than before at least), EY doesnt have that main-event feel to me. Not a big fan of his name, really hate the nickname E.Y. also, very lame. Just doesn't mesh with his look. His whole gimmick just isnt quite hitting the spot. And this stuff matters, marketing is everything.

4. On the positive, Young's strongest trait are his mic skills. He delivers a good promo and he's got that deep raspy voice, it's unique and makes him stand out. I also like the fact that he's using the piledriver as his finisher. Becuase of contreversy surrounding the piledriver in the past and its nostalgia, in a way the piledriver could help him get over. Potentially, fans could "take" to his finisher and pop in anticipation.

I don't think Eric Young is the worst choice as a wrestler to push, just not into the main-event. He obviously has pull or credibility in the locker room, but I think there are much better choices out there. I doubt Eric Young will ever be able to draw big. Does a PPV with Eric Young in the Main-Event make you excited? Didn't think so. Young is still a valuable asset to TNA, but I think he's most valuable as a mid-card heel, who ocasionally mingles with the main-eventers.

***But really I think this is what TNA is doing. By letting Young work programs with bigger names it helps give him the credibility rub and that's only a positive thing. I doubt they have plans to make him a full-time main-eventer. He'll soon find his way back to the mid-card, but at least return with a bit more heat.

agreeing with my australian brother in that he was going nowhere with the WE. I dig his new back to basics black trunks look and i dont know what it is about the village people esque biker jacket he was wearing around nash, but it worked.

There was a time when I thought EY could be something big, the day he became the leader of the World Elite; he was given a new look, he dropped the stupid gimmick, and he showed a lot of promise with his promos. But I just think that he may be mid-card bound for eternity, maybe it's the bad booking, or that I remember him as SuperEric, I just can seem to see him as a legitimate main eventer when you compare him to Desmond Wolfe.

Eric Young and Desmond Wolfe seem to be in line for the same position in the company, and I think Wolfe is better in the ring, better on the mic (when they turn down the British-ness a little bit) and more importantly... has more of the "IT factor".

I'm a big EY fan, he was great in world elite and I love seeing him work with Xpac. He reminds me of someone I cant put my finger on it, but he's great as badass face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back