End of WHAT Era???

Wrestlefan73

Occasional Pre-Show
So, I have been wondering since it was announced, and after watching WM again today, I have to know: What era was exactly ended in the Taker/HHH match?

Was it the end of the PG Era? Since the 80's were called The Federation Era and the 90's-2000's were called The Attitude Era, does this mean the PG Era is over?

Was it the end of the Undertaker Era? Or the end of the HHH Era? So......one of them is fully retired now?

Was it the end of the Hell In A Cell Era? Does that mean we will never see a HIAC match again??

its the official end of the attitude era in terms of wrestlers. the last 2 smashmotuh type styles that made that era what it was. triple h and undertaker were the only ones left. kane and mark henry were apart of that too but they arent the icons taker and hhh are. thats the way i looked at it. that match was a salute to an era that saved the wwe from going down against wcw because the wwe almost did.

I think the end of an era referred more to the oldschool era of coming into the business a different way and seeing it differently to the younger guys, as HBK and Taker aren't just Attitude Era guys, and Triple H has spanned much longer than that as well.

I think it was a final hurrah to the Attitude era, it was at the time when taker became a legend and when HHH became a main eventer. I wouldn't be surprised if both HHH mad Taker were now retired too. Though I had an idea in y head of how taker would retire. He wins/loses his final match. Lights go out out. DONG. he's gone. Aside from a hall of Fame appearance he's not seen on WWE programming again.

Neither one of them are retiring so I don't see it as the end of ANY era and the OP is 100% correct.

Thread title is actually 100% correct.

It was the end of the 'What?' era.

It is now the era of "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Era was a collective term.
Undertaker was the final wrestler to have wrestled in all monikered Eras of wrestling - Golden Era (80s - mid 90s), Attitude Era (mid-very early 2000s), the Ruthless Aggression Era (early-late 2000s) and the fan-named PG Era (current).

Not only has his career spanned over 4 eras, but his wrestling career to WWE (as Undertaker) has lasted over 20 years, including 20 appearances at WrestleMania - more than anybody - and over 27 years of wrestling for mainstream companies.

Triple H came in right before the Attitude Era started; around 93 or 94. He was a prominent role in the Attitude Era, and even more so in the Ruthless Aggression Era.

Shawn Michaels is in the same boat as Taker (although working for WWE for longer).

The Era that Ended was not any single Era, but an Era of inception. Those who helped to build the WWE and also shape it to its current product are about to retire or already have.

Think of all the gimmick matches introduced by Undertaker. Think about how unrealistic his gimmick is, an undead 'zombie' type of mortician, yet how popular it is. How he's opened the doors for gimmick possibilities, albeit WWE Creative failing on the most part.

Think about how Shawn Michaels had his controversial Heel turn that would be still be relevant and even replicated in 20 years (by Jericho {ironically, Jeri-Clone is more appropriate here}).

Yes, Undertaker and Shawn didn't put wrestling on the map. Nor did they maintain a typical 'hero', but they introduced something so much more.

The End of an Era, as I said, was not an individual Era but everything those those 3 wrestlers represented, introduced, allowed or gave prestige to.

What's next after Undertaker, the only wrestler who truly defines a 'gimmick', retires? There won't be another. What about all his gimmick matches? Buried Alive was one of the most badass matches there are. Gone since 2010, so far. The only match that will remain is the Ambulance Match (what the "Last Ride Match" was based on).

No more Casket Match.
No more Buried Alive Match.
Hell in a Cell will remain, but its reputation was formed mostly by Undertaker, Triple H and Mankind (2/3 of whom are still with WWE), followed by Shawn Michaels and Kane (primarily because of his debut).

I just took it as the last time we will see Undertaker v HHH. I don't think either of them are retired; I'm sure the WWE would make it a much bigger deal if it was the end of the Undertaker.

IMO, I think it was more like "Last of The Mohicans".

3 iconic superstars with the only remaining interwoven past (of value), 3 old school dogs giving one last hurrah together, the last time the 3 of them will ever fight each other, and Shawn will stay retired, Taker will do the same and stop at 20-0 (and head the class next year), and HHH will stay a "suit" and only keep himself open to a return if it makes sense for business (but never again as a heel).

Rather complex thought process, but that is what I got out of it.

IMO, I think it was more like "Last of The Mohicans".

3 iconic superstars with the only remaining interwoven past (of value), 3 old school dogs giving one last hurrah together, the last time the 3 of them will ever fight each other, and Shawn will stay retired, Taker will do the same and stop at 20-0 (and head the class next year), and HHH will stay a "suit" and only keep himself open to a return if it makes sense for business (but never again as a heel).

Rather complex thought process, but that is what I got out of it.

Actually this is more or less what I was thinking too...obviously because of Triple H's role within the WWE he will always be around in some capacity, so it's difficult to state that he will "never" wrestle again. But Shawn and the Undertaker? Nope. I think what we saw at Wrestlemania was the end of the Undertaker's career. The WWE didn't announce it, but just the vibe of the match, the way it ended, it just seemed like a guy trying to soak it in one last time before he went home to the ranch for good. I do think Shawn will still make periodic appearances like he has been, just because he is Shawn Michaels and the fans love him to death, but I think the next time we see Mark Calaway is when he is introduced as the keynote induction in the 2013 WWE Hall of Fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back