ECW Unreleased Vol. 1

Cena's #1 In My Heart

Getting Noticed By Management
Got sucked into this good looking dvd during the commercial on Raw. Paul Heyman plus seeing the ECW nostalgia in HD gave me border line chills, so I'm looking forward to checking out ECW Unreleased Vol. 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLaDlSEPHkI

So these are suppose to be untelevised matches?

It's not going to be PG stuff where they bleep out words and avoid blood is it? (meaning they didn't pick bloody matches.)

I see this being a true ECW piece though, just classic matches... with no PG in sight.

Thoughts? I was trying to find a thread with talk about this dvd but I couldn't... so I made one.

http://www.amazon.com/ECW-Unreleased-Volume-1-Blu-ray/dp/B007GMKXC0

I have the same hopes as you. They did a few other ECW dvds, and it was good stuff. Now will this one deliver? I am not so sure. Vince and company have a way of letting me down when it comes to these DVDs. I will be buying it for sure, but I am not sold yet that it will be anything more than the best PG ECW matches. i am hoping I am wrong, and it gives us everything we want. I will post again tomorrow and let you know my thoughts after I see it.

Alright well I'll start giving some thoughts on this.. the last mast I just watched, made me want to share some thoughts.

I'm only about 90 minutes into it, and there's been some damn classic bouts. It is uncensored. And the HD is nice.. except it's not widescreen, which is weird because in the commercials and even the intro it was widescreen.

2 Cold Scorpio Vs Shane Douglas kicks this dvd off for the ECW Championship, not the best match on the dvd but it's where Shane Douglas wins the belt and throws it down after words, telling all the other greats they can kiss his ass.

Raven Vs Tommy Dreamer is next and it gets hardcore. Tommy Dreammer bleeding so the censorship is from away from this dvd. So far it seems we are getting matches that go along with the short clips we usually see of ECW, as this is the one where Tommy Dreamer goes into the crowd and starts the ECW chant with all the arms pumping. Plus there's a shit ton of chaos after the match. Even was a small promo before the match so we are getting the story of what's going on.

Taz and Eddy Guerrero Vs 2 Cold Scorpio and "The Shooter" Dean Malenko interesting matchup, this match is a bit slow.. but it's also during like a heatwave or something because sweat is pouring from these men, the fans are shirtless, and their moving like their exhausted. Still a nice showing from Guerrero, some nice suplexes from the Human Suplex Machine Taz. Paul Heyman is in the corner of Taz and Guerrero, so there's a bit more to these teams.

Eddy Guerrero Vs Dean Malenko This is at some county fair ground out doors, some awesome chain/luchadore type wrestling from Guerrero and Malenko early on. Really makes you wonder what stuff like this is doing at a county fair. Malenko made this match feel ackward at times when he'd stand up, do absoutley nothing, just kinda walking around Guerrero.. and then go for a pinfall.. like... why are you waiting to go into the pin? Joey Styles even brought it up in his one man commentary. Match was for the Television Championship. Pretty good.

Cactus Jack Vs Shane Douglas This is the match I wanted to touch on, it was brutal as hell. Shane Douglas starts off dominating the match and all the offense looks legit.. he suplexes Cactus onto the standing up part of the railing at one point and his back goes directly across it. Shane Douglas does a dive into the crowd, impressive for his size. Cactus starts taking control with some vicious caveman like offense. The referee actually gives Shane Douglas some handcuffs which he puts on Cactus and it's Royal Rumble 1999... 4 years earlier. Shane Douglas proceeds to beat the hell out of Cactus head with the steel chair while he's handcuffed. Cactus refuses to stay down, standing up through the chair shots... all of them sick and kind of hard to watch. Even the ECW crowd back then you could see the concern on their faces. That handcuffing chairshotting display was right on par with the WWF's 1999 Royal Rumble, if not worse.

This is only the first 90 minutes... I'll post more on the upcomming matches, maybe... lol. I've only been watching this a match here or there. Coming up next... Chris Jericho Vs 2 Cold Scorpio, interested in seeing what those too have done.

So far it does look really good. I had a few mishaps money wise this week so I couldn't get it Tuesday like I wanted to. I will have it this Tuesday for sure and I will post my thoughts then. These matches all look pretty new to me, and I followed ECW pretty well back then.

I watched the first disc and a half of the new ECW dvd and so far I am happy, as I haven't seen many of the matches so far. I was really happy to see the match with Douglas and Scorpio where Shane threw the NWA title down. Eddie and Dean was also good stuff. Dreamer and Raven was good in that I forgot how over Dreamer actually was with the ECW crowd. That crowd was actually rabid for him. Right now I am watch RVD and Sabu vs. Hayabusa and Shinzaki. I remember watching this match on PPV and it was a really great contest. I will post again when I finish the set up. So far I am pretty happy with it overall.

Overall I liked this set. The one thing I didn't like was that I thought it was all going to be matches that weren't seen on ppv. A lot of the matches i had already seen, and wished they would have put more non televised stuff on it. All in all though it was a good set that I didn't mind putting out the money for.

I think they got a lot right with this set, but they also got some stuff wrong.

I like the segments with Joey Styles talking about the history of ECW. He shoots it pretty strait, and talks about some of the stuff that was not mentioned in The Rise and Fall. He talks about how ECW was influenced by FMW, Taz's revolutionary MMA character that was the first to bring the "Tapout" to pro wrestling, and The Mike Aweseome/WCW incident.

I didn't like the way they harped on Awesome again. They painted Bischoff as this slimy evil fuckmook pretty much like they did in The Rise and Fall, but as usual they left out the other half of the story(The way Dreamer/Taz jobbed out to Triple H with the ECW title on Smackdown, looking like a couple of idiots in the process with the booking). Awesome has been dead for a while now. He just wanted to get paid for his talents, and I think he deserved what he went after. Tons of other little stories they could have told here instead of harping on the late Awesome.

One thing they got right with this set? Shane Douglas. The motherfucking franchise. People don't realize how big of a deal he was for the ECW in its early days, and they forget how over he was in his later days. The previous WWECW dvd's barely mentioned Douglas, but he is prominently featured in this set(even on the cover with the late Bam Bam, one of his best friends). Douglas is in 5 matches in this set.

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero: Of the 9 singles matches these guys had in ECW I would rank this one in the top 3. Their final farewell match, and their first ECW match from Hostile City Showdown were their best ones, this one fits right up under those on my list.

Shane Douglas vs Cactus Jack: This is the match that helped get Douglas over as "THE" heel in ECW, and arguably the best heel in pro wrestling in 1996. Foley is handcuffed, and beaten with a chair. Douglas puts Foley in the figure four while handcuffed in one of the biggest "Oh man, that has to suck" moments ever. Foley cries out for help from his former tag partner, but takes one of the stiffest chair shots in the history of wrestling at the end. Pretty cool little scene that was copied by WWF with The Rock 3 years later, with the same effect on his heel status.

Chris Jericho vs 2 Cold Scorpio: HIGHLY UNDERRATED match right here. Easily one of the best on this entire set. Jericho had a bunch of matches like this that nobody has seen in ECW. I laugh when people try to make the "Cup of Coffee" argument for Chris Jericho in ECW.

Van Dam & Sabu vs Shinzaki & Hayabusa: The one match where Sabu doesn't botch, and people just brush it off as a "Spotfest". Haters gonna hate. All wrestling moves are spots. I'd rather watch this type of "Spotfest" than the type where guys are just trading traditional armdrags/bodydrops and restholds. One of my all time favorite matches. Non stop action. That is what I watch wrestling for, action.

Shane Douglas vs Taz: This is the match from Guilty As Charged pay per view where Taz wins the title. I think the match they had in the ECW Arena like a week later on Hardcore TV was WAAAAAAAAY better than this one. "Lets give these fans a fucking world title match that we can be proud of!" -Shane Douglas.

Tazz vs Tommy Dreamer: This is the match/moment that they are making the selling point for this set. This was the title match from 2000 where Tazz was still under contract with WWE. Not much of a match, but the moments after the match were pretty cool. Raven & Dreamer bury the hatchet for one of the greatest fueds in wrestling history. The ECW was actually legally prohibited from airing this match completely on TV, so this is pretty good to have on this set.

Overall I really liked this set. I think there is plenty of material for a Volume 2, and a Volume 3 even:

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero Hostile City Showdown 95
Dean Malenko, 2 Cold Scorpio, & Cactus Jack vs The Stiener Bros & Eddie Guerrero(excellent match)
Bam Bam wins ECW World title from Douglas(with help from Rick Rude)
Taz vs Douglas from House Party 99
Shitload of Dreamer vs Raven
Shane Douglas vs Marty Janety Return of the Funker 95
Chris Jericho vs Mikey Whipreck A Matter Of Respect 96
Shane Douglas vs 2 Cold Scorpio A Matter Of Respect 96
Sabu vs RVD A Matter Of Respect 96
2 Cold Scorpio vs RVD Living Dangerously 98
Tommy Dreamer & Terry Funk vs Shane Douglas & Brian Lee November 2 Remember 96
Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn Living Dangerously 99
Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn Crossing The Line 99
Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn Hardcore TV Sep. 99
Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn Hardcore Heaven 2000
Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka Heatwave 98
Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka ECW Hardcore TV(Tanaka wins title)
Tanaka vs Awesome vs Taz 3 way Anarchy Rulz 99
RVD vs Balls Mahoney Anarchy Rulz 99(underrated)
RVD vs Sabu Wrestlepalooza 98
Al Snow vs Shane Douglas Wrestlepalooza 98
Lance Storm vs Chris Candido As Good As It Gets 97
Lance Storm vs Chris Candido Cyberslam 98
Lance Storm vs Chris Candido Heatwave 98
Lance Storm vs Jerry Lynn Anarchy Rulz 99
6 man Michinoku Pro tag match from Barely Legal
Rob Van Dam vs Bam Bam Bigelow House Party 98
Jerry Lynn vs Justin Credible 2/3 falls A Matter Of Respect 98
Super Crazy vs Yoshihiro Tajiri Guilty As Charged 99
Super Crazy vs Yoshihiro Tajiri House Party 99
Super Crazy vs Yoshihiro Tajiri Crossing The Line 99
Super Crazy vs Yoshihiro Tajiri Living Dangerously 99
Super Crazy vs Rhino ECW on TNN Sep 99
Tajiri vs Tommy Dreamer ECW on TNN fall 99
Rhino vs Spike Dudley ECW on TNN summer of 2000
Rey Mysterio vs Juventud Guerrera 2/3 falls match Big Ass Extreme Bash 96
Terry Funk vs Cactus Jack Hostile City Showdown 95
Public Enemy vs Pit Bulls Hostile City Showdown 95(one of the all time best hardcore tag matches)

I just finished watching disc 2. Very great stuff so far. This is a great collection for ECW fans.

Also, for anyone that wants to bash ECW about just being garbage wrestling, just watch the first disc.

I'm gonna watch the third disc either tonight after Smackdown or tomorrow.

I've only watched the first two discs on this set, but, it brings back alot of memories that ECW had for me. I didn't really get into ECW until they got their network deal with TNN, so, this shows me just about everything I missed. I can't wait until WWE releases more ECW Unrealeased volumes for the collection. Easily better than most WWE dvds on WCW.......

2 Cold Scorpio Vs Shane Douglas - I loved this. Quality wrestling. How did Scorpio survive that bump on the steel railing? My jaw dropped.

Raven Vs Tommy Dreamer - This feels old IMO. It's hardly cutting edge anymore. Maybe it was cutting edge to fight their way into the arena office back then.

Taz and Eddy Guerrero Vs 2 Cold Scorpio and "The Shooter" Dean Malenko - hated it. So slow.

The two Eddy Guerrero matches - These are like night and day. In the first match Eddy is slow and sloppy and in the second he is amazing. Hate that guy with the dreads in the front row.

Cactus Jack Vs Shane Douglas T - Not my cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back