Jerry Lynn vs. Rick Steiner

• J.L.

• Steiner LIne

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the ECW Region Under Extreme Rules, from San Antonio, TX.

#31. "High Flyin'" Jerry Lynn
03.jpg

vs.

#34. "The Dog Face Gremlin" Rick Steiner
steiner1127a.jpg

I like Rick. I really do. He wrestles a very amateur style, and that's one that Lynn doesn't face often. But, in a hardcore match, the edge goes to Lynn. In a match in the company that Lynn carried for over a year, it goes to Lynn.

Lynn will win here. Steiner gets an early edge, but it's nothing a Cradle Piledriver won't finish.

This should be a no contest. Steiner should win this in a walk. Steiner had a great career, was a very solid wrestler, was part of arguably the greatest tag team ever, and had good success as a singles wrestler.

Jerry Lynn's biggest support is that he wrestled overrated matches against Rob Van Dam.

Steiner wins this, and should win easily.

Jerry Lynn's biggest support is that he wrestled overrated matches against Rob Van Dam.

Lynn was the man who made RVD who he was in the WWE,. He made AJ Styles what he was in TNA. He pulled solid matches out of Justin Credible, and had some great matches against Lance Storm and Juventud Guerrera. He also had some under-rated matches against Rey Mysterio in WCW as Mr. J.L.

Lynn was the man who made RVD who he was in the WWE,.
LOL, and just how did he do that?

He made AJ Styles what he was in TNA.
Not even close to being true. AJ made AJ what he was.

He pulled solid matches out of Justin Credible, and had some great matches against Lance Storm and Juventud Guerrera. He also had some under-rated matches against Rey Mysterio in WCW as Mr. J.L.
And yet, NONE of that compares to what Rick Steiner did in his career, from arguably the greatest tag team ever, to 5 star matches, to being a successful singles wrestler.

Even if what you said is true (and it's not), it still doesn't change the fact that Steiner should go over.

LOL, and just how did he do that?

Until his matches with Lynn, RVD was best known for his matches with Sabu. And, those hardly ended up as "matches". He was known before his feud with Lynn, but Lynn got him to work.

Not even close to being true. AJ made AJ what he was.

Same as RVD. AJ Styles was a so-called "spot monkey" in TNA before his matches with Lynn. He learned how to work, and by going over Lynn, earned a lot of respect from indy fans.

And yet, NONE of that compares to what Rick Steiner did in his career, from arguably the greatest tag team ever, to 5 star matches, to being a successful singles wrestler.

Lynn was never a part of a tag team, and this is singles competition anyway.

Lynn won the ECW Title, the TNA X Division Title, and a 2-time WWE Light Heavyweight Champ. Steiner was a 3 time US Champ, and one time TV champ.

They held the same number of singles titles. Without Scott though, Rick wouldn't be known.

Even if what you said is true (and it's not), it still doesn't change the fact that Steiner should go over.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be competitive, but Lynn wins.

Until his matches with Lynn, RVD was best known for his matches with Sabu. And, those hardly ended up as "matches". He was known before his feud with Lynn, but Lynn got him to work.
Which were in ECW, not WWE.

So, I ask again, how did Lynn make RVD what he was in the WWE?

Same as RVD. AJ Styles was a so-called "spot monkey" in TNA before his matches with Lynn. He learned how to work, and by going over Lynn, earned a lot of respect from indy fans.
Bullcrap. The majority of TNA fans now didn't even watch TNA back when Styles was working with Lynn, myself included.

Styles won people over because he's athletic as hell, and has turned into a heck of a worker. Lynn had nothing to do with it.

Lynn was never a part of a tag team, and this is singles competition anyway.
To which Steiner still has the more impressive resume.

Lynn won the ECW Title, the TNA X Division Title, and a 2-time WWE Light Heavyweight Champ. Steiner was a 3 time US Champ, and one time TV champ.
Exactly. Lynn has won titles of companies that don't even have a national TV deal, and a title that was so awful it doesn't exist anymore.

They held the same number of singles titles. Without Scott though, Rick wouldn't be known.
False. Rick was working and being successful before Scott ever debuted. Do your research.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be competitive, but Lynn wins.
I'm saying it shouldn't be competitive, and Steiner wins.

I actually think Lynn is a servicable talent as well. Just because fans went ape-shit over his spot fests with RVD, that's a reflection on the fans, not Lynn himself. Lynn did some nice work in WCW, and again in TNA. He's innovative and skilled.

Rick Steiner is someone I've never had love for. Even while tagging, he was the weak link of the Steiner Brothers. He was the less athletic, the less innovative, the less strong, and the older. He was known for three things - barking, wearing headgear, and being Scott's older brother. He's the Steiner equivalent of Jim Neidhardt.

I also have a bad taste for Rick because he had a meaningless title reign in WCW that was written into his contract and not earned on kayfabe merit. It was a forced storyline, and by that point, he was Scott's true second fiddle.

All that having been said, I am still going with Rick, but BARELY, and under protest. Rick was an amazingly skilled amateur, has terrific strength and experience. He may not be anything special, but he's also never been anything abysmal, and in this case I give Steiner the edge. If it was TNA, I'd happily go for Lynn, but it's not.

If RVD didn't know how to work in ECW, he never would've made it in WWE. He would've fallen to the wayside, much like Rhyno, Justin Credible, Tazz, and Spike Dudley.

Bullcrap. The majority of TNA fans now didn't even watch TNA back when Styles was working with Lynn, myself included.

Styles won people over because he's athletic as hell, and has turned into a heck of a worker. Lynn had nothing to do with it.

Same as I said for RVD. If Styles was still wrestling today, how he was before they got the TV deal, he'd still be a mid-carder in the X-Division. Now, he's the face of the company, and is one of the most well known wrestlers in any company.

Exactly. Lynn has won titles of companies that don't even have a national TV deal, and a title that was so awful it doesn't exist anymore.

I suppose you're holding that against Corino too? They're still titles. This match is also taking place in ECW, where Lynn was the Champion. What success did Steiner ever have in a hardcore environment?

False. Rick was working and being successful before Scott ever debuted. Do your research.

I stand corrected, but my argument doesn't change. How far would his career have gone, if he wasn't a member of that tag team?

I don't see how it wouldn't be competitive. Is it because you despise all things ECW?

Well WWE signed one of ECW's most valuble talents. They did not sign Sabu, the man he was on the same level as before his feud with Lynn, so while RVD may not owe his success in WWE to Lynn, he desrves to be there.

I'm sceptical of this point myself, and I think NSL has exaggerated Lynn's effect on AJ. That being said, it is definitely true that people tend to like someone who is already established, and if Lynn helped establish AJ early on, new fans would have seen a guy that is already liked and started to like him too.

Arguable. The ECW title is definitely on a higher plane to the US title, the X division title is also taken more seriously than it, and the TV title was as much of a joke as the Light Heavyweight title, so Lynn's resume is quite a lot better, actually.

Firstly, Lynn won the ECW title on October 1, 2000. The last episode of ECW on TNN was 5 days later, so he was champion of a company with a national TV deal, albeit briefly. Pedantic, yes, but still true. At least the Light Heavyweight title had actual closure, when it was merged with the WCW Cruiserweight one. Remind me, who holds the WCW TV Title now? And anyway, Steiner was a one time US champion and 3 time TV Champion.

False. Rick was working and being successful before Scott ever debuted.

Rick did have a year in the sun without Scott, winning the TV title, but a large portion of the time was spent in the Varsity Club, so he wasn't exalty going it alone for a long period.

Do your research.

1. Failing to spot that Steiner only won the US title once and won the TV title thrice.
2. Saying that Lynn wasn't the champion of a nationally broadcasted promotion.

Those are two points that you made that were incorrect factually, so you might want to do your own research before having a go at someone else.

Lynn has a history of beating outsiders that came to an ECW ring like Steve Corino. He also has a history of beating people that are bigger than him and Rick Steiner, like Rhyno.

Asides from the fact that he was the second best Steiner brother, what are your reasons for thinking he'd win this? His singles career was average at best, and I'm not saying Lynn's was superb but it was better.

Jerry Lynn would have won this match, and it would be close. In a similar fashion to the way he beat Steve Corino.

This one is tough for me. Lynn has the advantage being in ECW but Rick was a solid performer and I believe his amateur and tough style would be just enough to ground Lynn and pick up the win.

This is a tough one. I'm going with Steiner though. People forget he had some TV Title reigns so he could go in the ring. Also he seems really like he would fit in the ECW style. He has some experience there which would help him and he could go move for move with Lynn. Combining that with the power game and I don't see him losign here.

If RVD didn't know how to work in ECW, he never would've made it in WWE. He would've fallen to the wayside, much like Rhyno, Justin Credible, Tazz, and Spike Dudley.
RVD STILL didn't know how to work when he retired from the WWE. Piss bucket point.

RVD did nothing different after Lynn than he did before. It was the same stupid flippy spotfest of a match, with little regard to the psychology of the character in the match.

Jerry Lynn did fuck all for RVD.

Same as I said for RVD. If Styles was still wrestling today, how he was before they got the TV deal, he'd still be a mid-carder in the X-Division. Now, he's the face of the company, and is one of the most well known wrestlers in any company.
But, Lynn had ZERO to do with the way Styles wrestled. Styles wrestled the same way before Lynn as he did after.

It's just that as he's become more experienced, he's become a better worker. Again, Lynn had fuck all to do with AJ Styles success.

I suppose you're holding that against Corino too?
What the fuck does Corino have to do with this. But yeah, I think I did actually.

They're still titles.
Well, then I should be in this tournament because I was a Three Time MCTWC World Champion when I was in 7th grade. That's the "Matt and Chris Thumb Wrestling Championship", in case you weren't aware.

But, those were still titles. And I was a three time winner. Why am I not in this WZ tournament?

This match is also taking place in ECW, where Lynn was the Champion. What success did Steiner ever have in a hardcore environment?
I wasn't aware that Lynn was a hardcore wrestler, I was always of the opinion that he was more ring based. Perhaps you can enlighten on his favorite weapons. Was he a fan of the fork? The branding iron?

Or, does the fact this match takes place in ECW basically mean nothing? Yeah, I'll go with that one.

I stand corrected, but my argument doesn't change. How far would his career have gone, if he wasn't a member of that tag team?
How far would Lynn's career had gone if he never got into wrestling school?

Do you have a point? The fact of the matter is that Rick's career WAS successful.

I don't see how it wouldn't be competitive. Is it because you despise all things ECW?
No, it's because Rick is a much better worker.

Well WWE signed one of ECW's most valuble talents. They did not sign Sabu, the man he was on the same level as before his feud with Lynn, so while RVD may not owe his success in WWE to Lynn, he desrves to be there.
I don't get it. Are you making a point here? It seems like you're trying to, but then basically agree with me that Lynn isn't owed credit for RVD.

Arguable. The ECW title is definitely on a higher plane to the US title
Says who? I'd take the second highest title of a national promotion over the devalued title of a regional promotion.

the X division title is also taken more seriously than it
The X-Division title is taken more seriously than the the United States title? Are you kidding me?

Not to mention, when Lynn won the X-Division titles (for a period of a month and a half, and a month), TNA was NOTHING. They were a complete fledgling promotion who was about to go under. There's no prestige in the wins Lynn had.

and the TV title was as much of a joke as the Light Heavyweight title, so Lynn's resume is quite a lot better, actually.
:lmao:

No it wasn't. The Television title was around for nearly 3 decades, and had been held by guys like Ivan Koloff, Ric Flair, Greg Valentine, Rick Steamboat, Baron Von Raschke, Roddy Piper, Mike Rotundo, Dick Slater, Tully Blanchard, Dusty Rhodes, Arn Anderson, Sting, etc.

Trying to say that the WWE Light Heavyweight title even comes CLOSE to comparing is beyond ridiculousness. I mean, don't get me wrong, Scott 2 Hotty and Gillberg are quite extraordinary, but I'm not certain they compare to Ric Flair and Roddy Piper.

Firstly, Lynn won the ECW title on October 1, 2000. The last episode of ECW on TNN was 5 days later, so he was champion of a company with a national TV deal, albeit briefly.
LOL

ECW couldn't even support a national show, and so it got closed down. Like I said, "Lynn has won titles of companies that don't even have a national TV deal"

At least the Light Heavyweight title had actual closure, when it was merged with the WCW Cruiserweight one. Remind me, who holds the WCW TV Title now?
The same guy who holds the ECW World Title?

Rick did have a year in the sun without Scott, winning the TV title, but a large portion of the time was spent in the Varsity Club, so he wasn't exalty going it alone for a long period.
But the fact he won the title disproves NSL's insinuation that he would have been nothing without Scott.

1. Failing to spot that Steiner only won the US title once and won the TV title thrice.
Failing to spot? No. Chose not to address as it was beneficial to my stance? Yes.
2. Saying that Lynn wasn't the champion of a nationally broadcasted promotion.
He wasn't. ECW couldn't support a national broadcast. Like you said, they closed up shop as soon as he was champion.

Those are two points that you made that were incorrect factually, so you might want to do your own research before having a go at someone else.
Wait...choosing to ignore something that helped me, and being proven right makes me wrong?

How does that make sense?

Asides from the fact that he was the second best Steiner brother, what are your reasons for thinking he'd win this?
I guess it would be asking too much for you to read all my posts...

Me said:
This should be a no contest. Steiner should win this in a walk. Steiner had a great career, was a very solid wrestler, was part of arguably the greatest tag team ever, and had good success as a singles wrestler.

Steiner wins this, and should win easily.

Jerry Lynn would have won this match, and it would be close. In a similar fashion to the way he beat Steve Corino.
No, he wouldn't. And he shouldn't. Just because some smarks ejaculate over spotfest matches that he had with RVD, doesn't mean that he deserves anything.

This might be nitpicking, but Rhyno was the last ECW champ. It was part of his whole story when he came to the WWE.

Lynn won at Anarchy Rulz in 2000, and lost it to Corino about 2 months later.

Before you say 2 months is nothing, look at Edge's last few titles reigns, Jeff Hardy's reign, and CM Punk title reign. 2 months is a lot since the attitude era.

Jerry Lynn is shit. The matches he had with RVD are some of the most overrated, atrocious matches I have ever seen in my 20 years of being a wrestling fan. I actually tried to watch some of those matches again recently, and I just couldn't do it, so I ended up skipping most of the action.

Rick Steiner was a part of one of the greatest tag-teams of all-time, and that alone is enough to get him through with ease against a nobody like Lynn.

I don't get it. Are you making a point here? It seems like you're trying to, but then basically agree with me that Lynn isn't owed credit for RVD.

Poor grammar on my part. What I meant was that you're right to say Lynn did not influence RVD's career once he got to WWE, but I was pointing out that RVD may never have reached WWE without Lynn.

Says who? I'd take the second highest title of a national promotion over the devalued title of a regional promotion.

How was the ECW title devalued exactly? Because ECW was dying when Lynn won it? Seriously, you've put that word in without any clarification whatsoever. He won the title of a promotion with a national TV deal. If you want to talk about promotions that were on their way out, by the time Steiner won the US Title, everyone was on their way out of WCW. For the duration of his title reign WCW were in talks to the WWF, as they were going out of business.

The X-Division title is taken more seriously than the the United States title? Are you kidding me?

I'm saying that the X-Division title, which is treated as a big draw on TNA was taken more seriously than a title that had changed hands 20 times in 2 years, and in the year before Steiner won had been won by a 56 year old Terry Funk and General Hugh G. Rection. No, I'm not kidding you.

Not to mention, when Lynn won the X-Division titles (for a period of a month and a half, and a month), TNA was NOTHING. They were a complete fledgling promotion who was about to go under. There's no prestige in the wins Lynn had.

Where was WCW when Steiner won the US title? Oh yeah, worth nothing and about to go under. There's no prestige in any title win in WCW in 2001. I hate to use the term "devalued title" but every single title in WCW was devalued.

:lmao:

No it wasn't. The Television title was around for nearly 3 decades, and had been held by guys like Ivan Koloff, Ric Flair, Greg Valentine, Rick Steamboat, Baron Von Raschke, Roddy Piper, Mike Rotundo, Dick Slater, Tully Blanchard, Dusty Rhodes, Arn Anderson, Sting, etc.

Ok, so it meant something in the 1970s, but seriously, when Steiner won his last two titles, it meant nothing. It was just given to people deemed unworthy of either the top title or second rate title and weren't cruiserweights. I don't think anyone that mattered had held it for about 4 years by the time 1999 came around. I will grant that his first reign in 1988 was noteworthy, but that's it.

Trying to say that the WWE Light Heavyweight title even comes CLOSE to comparing is beyond ridiculousness. I mean, don't get me wrong, Scott 2 Hotty and Gillberg are quite extraordinary, but I'm not certain they compare to Ric Flair and Roddy Piper.

Yeah, because Rick Steiner beat Ric Flair in front of 90,000 people to win the TV title. Or did he win a title that Ric Flair had won over 20 years previously that was no longer worth anything. The Light Heavyweight Championship held a similar position in the companty when Lynn won it as the TV title did in Steiner's second and third reigns, as the number 4 title in the promotion. Jushin Liger held the WWF Light Heavyweight title, quite a lot closer in time to Lynn's win than Flair's TV title reign was to Steiner's.

LOL

ECW couldn't even support a national show, and so it got closed down. Like I said, "Lynn has won titles of companies that don't even have a national TV deal"

WCW was dying badly when Rick won the most important singles title in his career. In fact it was in even worse shape than ECW was, because not onl couldn't it support a national TV show, it couldnt support itself and lasted for less than a week after he dropped the title.

The same guy who holds the ECW World Title?

Jack Swagger? I don't think so. The lineage from Lynn eventually goes to Rhyno. Billed as the last ECW champion in WWE. Then the title was relaunched with the same history and Swagger now has it. The lineage of the TV title from Rick Steiner goes to Scott Hall, then a wheelie bin, then Jim Duggan, then nowhere. It was so insignificant that it vanished without explanation on WCW programming.

But the fact he won the title disproves NSL's insinuation that he would have been nothing without Scott.

Fair enough, but I'm unconvinced he'd have gone on to anything close to what he did acheive without Scott. Complete conjecture though, obviously.

Failing to spot? No. Chose not to address as it was beneficial to my stance? Yes.

I knew you'd say that, which is why I didn't point out that Jerry Lynn has won fewer titles than NSL said. Only one Light Heavyweight crown.

I suppose not mentioning that was beneficial to your stance too.

He wasn't. ECW couldn't support a national broadcast. Like you said, they closed up shop as soon as he was champion.

Except they kept putting on shows for months after his reign ended. WCW had five days after Steiner's most significant reign ended. At best, ECW and WCW were in equally dire straights, but the big players in ECW were still there when Lynn won the top title. People had started to jump ship when Steiner was US Champion.

Wait...choosing to ignore something that helped me, and being proven right makes me wrong?

How does that make sense?

Choosing to ignore, alright. Chose to ignore the fact that he got Lynn's reigns wrong too, I bet. You haven't been proved right at all. WWF falling out with the USA network is what caused ECW to lose its TV syndication, the WWF flaunted itself to networks as a result and TNN saw the oppurtunity to make more money. Had WWF stayed on USA, ECW would have lasted longer on TNN than it did.

And shall we look at what you said?

Lynn has won titles of companies that don't even have a national TV deal, and a title that was so awful it doesn't exist anymore.

That doesn't say what you're saying now I've shown you were wrong. That doesn't say that they couldn't support TV, that says they didn't have a TV deal. When he won the title, they did. So you are wrong.

I guess it would be asking too much for you to read all my posts...

I did read them. Funnily enough, I said asides from being in the Steiner Brothers, so that's why the part about him being in the tag team of your post is irrelevant. I then said he had an average singles career, which you edited out of your response, thus making the point where you said about him having good singles success not very convincing to me. So your left with "very solid wrestler". It's as if I was looking for something deeper than you stating your position, which I disagree with, twice. Maybe, you know back up your position.

No, he wouldn't. And he shouldn't. Just because some smarks ejaculate over spotfest matches that he had with RVD, doesn't mean that he deserves anything.

Yes, because within my post I said that Jerry Lynn was incredible, and that he had five star matches with RVD, didn't I? I think Jerry Lynn would win because he beat technical wrestlers that were from outsiders from the promotion that have had moderate success elsewhere in an ECW ring. Rick Steiner is a technical wrestler that is from outside the promotion that has had moderate success elsewhere, so it stands to reason that Lynn would win this match up in an ECW ring.

Jerry Lynn would win this match up. I'm not going to be outraged if Rick Steiner wins, but in this instance, he shouldn't.

How was the ECW title devalued exactly?
Because ECW itself was basically dead, it had little prestige behind it to begin with, and only a few months earlier was arguably the second most important title, behind RVD and the television title.

I'm saying that the X-Division title, which is treated as a big draw on TNA was taken more seriously than a title that had changed hands 20 times in 2 years, and in the year before Steiner won had been won by a 56 year old Terry Funk and General Hugh G. Rection. No, I'm not kidding you.
No, it wasn't. The X-Division in 2002, had zero credibility. From a promotion that couldn't keep its head above water without financial interference, to a title that was passed around every month or two to guys with ZERO worth to their name (14 in 2 years, I believe), in a promotion that didn't have a TV deal.

At least the United States title had a history behind it, was contested on national TV in a national promotion with name recognition.

Jack Swagger? I don't think so. The lineage from Lynn eventually goes to Rhyno. Billed as the last ECW champion in WWE. Then the title was relaunched with the same history and Swagger now has it.
You and I both know that Jack Swagger is not the champion of the same promotion Lynn was, and trying to argue as such shows how weak you know your argument is. If we're going to use that argument, then the United States title that Steiner won still traces its lineage to today's workers. Would you care to put the United States title champions since the brand split against the ECW champions?

I knew you'd say that, which is why I didn't point out that Jerry Lynn has won fewer titles than NSL said. Only one Light Heavyweight crown.

I suppose not mentioning that was beneficial to your stance too.
He could have won 19 Light Heavyweight titles. It wouldn't change the fact the title was worthless. I don't care how many Light Heavyweight titles he won, because it's as relevant as the number of Hardcore titles that Raven won...which is zero relevance. I have NO idea how many titles NSL said he won, and I have no idea how many Light Heavyweight titles he actually...and I don't care, because I put ZERO value in the Light Heavyweight title. If we're going to count Light Heavyweight title reigns, then we need to start counting Tag Title reigns, because winning a tag title means as much in singles wrestling as a Light Heavyweight title does.

Except they kept putting on shows for months after his reign ended. WCW had five days after Steiner's most significant reign ended. At best, ECW and WCW were in equally dire straights, but the big players in ECW were still there when Lynn won the top title. People had started to jump ship when Steiner was US Champion.
There WERE no big players in ECW. That's the part you seem to be struggling with. At least Sting, Ric Flair, Booker, etc. were still on WCW.

Choosing to ignore, alright. Chose to ignore the fact that he got Lynn's reigns wrong too, I bet.
Chose to not care.

You haven't been proved right at all. WWF falling out with the USA network is what caused ECW to lose its TV syndication
No it wasn't. It was the fact that ECW couldn't control 1/10th of the available wrestling audiences. When WCW and WWF were averaging nearly 10.0 ratings on the same night, ECW could barely pull 1.0 ratings on its own night.

Jerry Lynn would win this match up.
No, he wouldn't, and he has no business doing so. Rick Flair was an influential worker, with a solid singles career, and a guy that was relevant for over a decade. Lynn was some guy who worked in the bingo hall. Lynn has NEVER found success on any level other than the indy level, where as Steiner has been a success in just about every place he's been.

Steiner wins this, and it's not even close. At least, he SHOULD win this.

Because ECW itself was basically dead, it had little prestige behind it to begin with, and only a few months earlier was arguably the second most important title, behind RVD and the television title.

Are you talking about the same title that was given to The Franchise, when he trashed the NWA Title? I'm pretty sure that was a big deal.

And, the only reason the TV Title was worth more, was because RVD was the one holding it. And, as I've stated, Jerry Lynn is the one who got RVD to where he was.

Your argument of Rick Steiner being part of a great tag team really means nothing as well. If that's enough to make him a credible singles wrestler, than I suppose you'e going to push for Bubba Ray to win his match also? What about Jim Neidhart? Ax? Smash? Animal?

I fail to see how the number one title in a promotion that was basically dead is any less worthy than a number two title in a promotion that was actually dead.

No, it wasn't. The X-Division in 2002, had zero credibility. From a promotion that couldn't keep its head above water without financial interference, to a title that was passed around every month or two to guys with ZERO worth to their name (14 in 2 years, I believe), in a promotion that didn't have a TV deal.

At least the United States title had a history behind it, was contested on national TV in a national promotion with name recognition.

TNA needed financial interference? You mean like how businesses have investors that put money into them?

Nothing in WCW in 2001 had any credibility. It couldn't keep it's head above water, and it didn't. It had a TV deal, but one that was running out quickly. The X-division had a direction at least, and they were using it to build up the guys that would later form the backbone of the company, like AJ Styles.

WCW had zero direction. It was just a collection of wrestlers waiting for the company to die.

You and I both know that Jack Swagger is not the champion of the same promotion Lynn was, and trying to argue as such shows how weak you know your argument is.

I know, I was merely pointing out that by using your initial argument about the ECW title being so poor it no longer existed could also be used on the TV title.

If we're going to use that argument, then the United States title that Steiner won still traces its lineage to today's workers. Would you care to put the United States title champions since the brand split against the ECW champions?

Irrelevant, for a number of reasons.

Firstly my point was about the TV title.

Secondly, it is unfair to compare since the brand split because some of the WWE US title winners may have been ECW champions instead. If we compare in the time that WWE ECW has existed we get Lashley, Finlay, Mr. Kennedy, Benoit, MVP, Matt Hardy and Shelton Benjamin up against RVD, Big Show, Lashely, Mr McMahon, John Morrison, CM Punk, Chavo, Kane, Matt Hardy and Jack Swagger. I'd argue that those lists are fairly equal, to be honest, but it really really doesn't make a difference.

Thirdly, my point was that there was closure to the ECW title, whether you see that as being when Rhyno came to WWE and was called the champion, when the title was reactivated or if you still think it is the same thing. The TV title was thrown in a bin, brought back for Jim Duggan to wear and then inexplicably ignored forever. I was pointing out that the ECW title was important enough for this kind of closure to be necessary, and the TV Title wasn't.

He could have won 19 Light Heavyweight titles. It wouldn't change the fact the title was worthless. I don't care how many Light Heavyweight titles he won, because it's as relevant as the number of Hardcore titles that Raven won...which is zero relevance.

Well, not really, because the Light Heavyweight title was defended like a proper title, and the Hardcore title wasn't.

I have NO idea how many titles NSL said he won, and I have no idea how many Light Heavyweight titles he actually...and I don't care, because I put ZERO value in the Light Heavyweight title.

So essentially what your saying is that you don't read the posts of people you're arguing with?

If we're going to count Light Heavyweight title reigns, then we need to start counting Tag Title reigns, because winning a tag title means as much in singles wrestling as a Light Heavyweight title does.

Says who? You? So you think a singles title means less in singles competition than a tag title? How can you justify that logically at all? When Lynn won the Light Heavyweight belt, it was defended on television and was unified with the Cruiserweight championship not much later. It was a proper singles title.

There WERE no big players in ECW. That's the part you seem to be struggling with. At least Sting, Ric Flair, Booker, etc. were still on WCW.

Yes, they were in the main event. Rick Steiner was fighting in a mid card that had lost almost all of its main players. Booker T, who would have been in this level had moved up because Hogan had left. ECW still had the lions share of the people that were seen as a big deal in the company.

The people that mattered in WCW were fighting for the WCW Title, the people that didn't were fighting for the US title.

Chose to not care.

Alright, of course you did.

No it wasn't. It was the fact that ECW couldn't control 1/10th of the available wrestling audiences. When WCW and WWF were averaging nearly 10.0 ratings on the same night, ECW could barely pull 1.0 ratings on its own night.

So TNN cancelled a programme that was, without advertising, their highest rated show? It doesn't matter if their audiences were paltry compared to WWF audiences, if they were bigger than all of TNN's other audiences they aren't going to scrap it are they?

No, he wouldn't, and he has no business doing so.

He would, for reasons I've stated clearly elsewhere.

Rick Flair was an influential worker, with a solid singles career, and a guy that was relevant for over a decade.

Underestimating Ric Flair a bit, don't you think?

Lynn was some guy who worked in the bingo hall. Lynn has NEVER found success on any level other than the indy level, where as Steiner has been a success in just about every place he's been.

So, Lynn has found success at an indy level, most notably in a bingo hall promotion. Sounds to me like he has been a success in the very same environment of this match.

Steiner wins this, and it's not even close. At least, he SHOULD win this.

In WCW he should. The point of the regions is so that this kind of upset can happen. Lynn is definitely good enough to beat someone, who had similar successes to him in singles wrestling, in an environment suited to himself.

Reactions: NSL
So far after reading the posts in this thread so far, NSL and Tastycles seem to be giving the best argument, all I've seen from Sly hates everything ECW related with a passion, and to the best of my knowledge has never given any credit to ECW, or to anything or anybody that has ever come from ECW, and his posts so far in this thread are keeping with that, not to mention I've found Slys arguments in this thread to be rather weak compared to his usual stuff, so with all that and the fact that if it weren't Scott Steiner I would never have even known who the fuck Rick Steiner even is, my vote is going to Lynn

I came into this thread having zero idea on who I would vote for, because I like these wrestlers equally and I think they're both just great, but like Justin... after reading the arguments here, I'm giving my vote for Lynn. Tastycles and NSL have made some terrific arguments, and Sly’s only in this argument it seems to bash RVD, lol. And plus… I just think the only thing positive that can be said about Rick Steiner is that he was in a great tag team, but to me... I always viewed Scott as the superior wrestler in that team, anyway. While I still liked Rick, Scott was just the man and Rick's singles career was terrible in my opinion. All I remember from it was Goldberg kicking his ass on a repeated basis.

Plus, Jerry Lynn vs. Shawn Michaels is such a dream match of mind, that even in a tournament that holds no value in "real life", it's still something nice to think about, lol, so I would like to see that match-up take place in the next round, even though HBK will undoubtedly squash Lynn.

Wow, all of the unnecessary hate for Jerry Lynn. The guy has been solid every where he has worked in, minus the WWE, that's it. He was a good worker as JL in WCW, he was phenomenal in ECW, he was very well portrayed in TNA, and he's been fantastic so far in ROH. When the one company he didn't have any success in is also the one company that is notorious for not being able to push it's light heavyweights, then I tend to let that slide. Jerry Lynn has had good, quality matches every where he has had the opportunity to work, and even managed to win a title in the WWF while being mispushed, that says a lot.

Rick Steiner is the other steiner brother. While fantastic as a tag wrestler with Scotty, Rick is essentially the past decades version of Matt Hardy. The guy was incredibly dull as a singles wrestler, and really had nothing of note, minus some guaranteed title reigns. Jerry Lynn wins.

I gotta go with Lynn here. Steiner is decent, but I don't really see him as that great of a singles star. He is always the other Steiner to me. Lynn was a star in ECW, decent in WCW, TNA, and WWE. And in the hardcore environment, Lynn finds a way to get the W.

I went into the thread giving a slight edge to Steiner and thinking id vote that way. However the arguments for Lynn in here, as well as watching a few more of his matches have swayed me to vote for him.

Lynn for the win.

I have to go with Steiner. Not only do I feel he was more talenter than Jerry Lynn, he was also more entertaining. I had to watch some JL matches before I voted on this, I was quite bored. But the stieners. Both of them were always great to me. Some may say it was only because of Scott, Rick was even saw as successful. Seeing as how Scott went on to become more successful. But, on the contrary I believe Scott, was more successful than Rick. Seeing as how Scott debuted in 1986 and Rick in 1983. Rick had started, and was allready moving on to becoming a sucess. Until little brother Scott stole his spotlight. Thus, I say Rick, was more entertaining, and better in the ring than Jerry Lynn from this. Even though Scott stole the spotlight, Rick gave it to him. Rick was also the better entertainer, and the more talented in the ring from my POV. Than Lynn has ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back