ECW Region, Mel Subregion, Round 1: (5) Terry Funk vs. (28) Dean Malenko

Who Wins This Match?

• Terry Funk

• Dean Malenko

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the ECW Region, Melbourne Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules. It will be held at Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Australia.

300px-Rod_laver_arena_by_night.jpg

10.jpg

#5. Terry Funk

Vs.

malenko2.jpg

#28. Dean Malenko

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Before anyone says Terry Funk was nothing but a hardcore brawler and would struggle against a mat technician like Malenko I want you to know that before he was a middle aged crazy brawler Funk could match anyone on the mat in his younger days. Funk has the advantage of being able to match Malenko in wrestling but turn it to a brawl if things aren't going his way. He survived and thrived in many different eras of wrestling. Malenko was good but I don't think he's qutie as great as he's made out to be. He had moderate success at best. This one easily goes to Funk.

You mean the only man to ever enter the WWE Hall of Fame, the WCW Hall of Fame, the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame, the NWA Hall of Fame, the Hardcore Hall of Fame, and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame vs. Dean Malenko? You mean the former NWA and ECW Champion Mr. Funk? You mean Terry Funk as in the toughest motherfuckers to ever step foot in a wrestling ring vs. Dean Malenko? Vs. the man who never amounted to much besides a few notable Cruiserweight titles? Terry Funk is a legend, a legend known for legit being a tough guy. While Dean Malenko is a phenomenal wrestler, he never wrestled anyone a tough as Terry. He mainly wrestled guys who were significantly smaller than him. That's why I see Terry pulling away here. Terry hits a clean Piledriver to end the match.

Terry Funk is one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time, Malenko isn't. He shouldn't just be acknowledged for his time as a hardcore brawler (a pretty damn good one) but he should also be recognized as a brilliant wrestler. Malenko was good but not on the same level as Funk.

Terry Funk will nail a pile driver to win the match.

Terry was/is amazing.This is a guy who can wrestle. Malenko was a good wrestler, but not as good as Funk. Funk can rely on his pure wrestling abilities to step though Dean.

Its now an ECW Match, so Funk takes this one even easier. Piledriver onto a chair ends it and possibly pretty quickly.

Dean Malenko was pretty damn awesome in an ECW ring. Internationally, I could see Funk winning this one easily. But it's a pretty close call for me considering its in ECW.

Personally, I'm 50:50 on this one. If anyone else is as split as I am, I'm putting up a Malenko match against Guerrero for the TV title that I think is a good argument for his vote. If someone wants to put a Funk match that compares in quality, I'd be willing to watch.

[YOUTUBE]8GmNE1RTmIY[/YOUTUBE]

I'm leaning towards Malenko for the underdog vote, but I could be persuaded otherwise.

Dean Malenko was pretty damn awesome in an ECW ring. Internationally, I could see Funk winning this one easily. But it's a pretty close call for me considering its in ECW.

Personally, I'm 50:50 on this one. If anyone else is as split as I am, I'm putting up a Malenko match against Guerrero for the TV title that I think is a good argument for his vote. If someone wants to put a Funk match that compares in quality, I'd be willing to watch.

[YOUTUBE]8GmNE1RTmIY[/YOUTUBE]

I'm leaning towards Malenko for the underdog vote, but I could be persuaded otherwise.

I don't remember Malenko ever getting phyisical enough to be considered hardcore. During his time in ECW, did he once pick up a chair or slam someone through a table? Malenko may have been a wrestling freak, but he wouldn't stand a chance against some of the other ECW talent like Sandman or Tommy Dreamer. That isn't a knock against him but he doesn't stand a chance. I believe the only time when he's faced someone as hardcore as Funk is when he and Benoit beat Sabu and Taz for the tag titles in 1995. He doesn't possess the expirience in hardcore matches to beat Terry Funk here with this type of stipulation in place.

This would be a lot harder to choose if it wasn't ECW, but it IS ECW! Terry Funk is ECW, and Malenko has no chance against Funk in an ECW ring. Terry is a Hardcore Hall of Fame inductee, and a former 2 time ECW champion. Terry is ECW, and I see him going very far in this region. I really do like Malenko, but in an ECW ring, it's going to take more than just him to knock Funk off. Both men will be busted open badly, and barbed wire will be involved, and Funk wins with a pile driver.

Vote Terry Funk.

Funk SHOULD and WILL win this matchup. However...I'm voting Dean Malenko. Malenko is one of my favorite wrestlers ever to watch, and the Texas Cloverleaf ranks as my favorite submission move of all-time.

The guy was flawless in the ring and had the grace of a ballerina. This is strictly a mark vote, so don't be too influenced by my opinion. Go MALENKO!!!!!

Funk will wrongly be considered as nothing but a hardcore wrestler throughout this tournament, but that is wrong. He was, in his earlier years, a very highly technically accomplished wrestler who won the NWA title and held it over a year. Malenko, whilst maybe marginally more technically astute, was essentially a cruiserweight that could never compete with the big boys. Furthermore, he was about as charismatic as cress. Funk would win a hardcore match between them, because that's where he has had his rebirth as an old timer, but he'd also win a regular match. A definite Funk win.

The NWA World Heavyweight Title was predominantly regarded as the prestigious wrestling belt. The fact Terry Funk held it for fourteen months means that he outclasses poor Dean. The fact it is in an environment where he has held their top belt twice just drives the final nail in.

I don't know much about Dean Malenko except he fueded with Chris Jericho and tagged with Chris Benoit. I know he was seen as a very good wrestler but never got to the top.

I know about Terry Funk by reputation. Being a batshit insane middle aged man in ECW. But also for being a very good wrestler when he was younger and holding the NWA World Championship.

The fact that Funk was able to reinvent himself as a hardcore wrestler when he was getting up there in years shows how good he is.

Unfortunatley for Malenko he's facing someone who can match him and surpass him.

Dean Malenko is one of the greatest technical wrestlers of all time, but he couldn't beat Terry Funk in his prime. A multi-time World Champion and one of the toughest wrestlers ever to lace up a pair of boots.

This is ECW, Terry Funk helped put ECW on the map, and with a DQ rule in place The Funker would use all his experience of violent matches to find a way to put Malenko away pretty quickly. Ladders, Chairs, anything he damn well wanted.

Funk would put The Iceman away pretty quickly in any company, but especially in ECW where he is an icon.

Winner: Terry Funk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back