ECW Leather Strap/Four Corners Match: Edge vs. Ricky Steamboat

ECW Strap Match - Edge vs Ricky Steamboat

• Edge

• The Dragon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the ECW Region, from the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, PA.

Leather Strap/Four Corners Match: Both wrestlers will be tied together at the wrist with a 12 foot leather strap. If any wrestler is caught intentionally untying themselves from the Strap, they will be disqualified. To win the match, a wrestler must be able to touch all four corners of the ring in consecutive order without losing their momentum.

The Rated R Superstar Edge
Edge_1196386778.jpg

vs.

Ricky The Dragon Steamboat
ricky-steamboat1.jpg

Wow, Ricky Steamboat made it all the way here!? Wrestlemania, thank you!

Both men are talented and athletic. Ricky a little more so, but Edge has more experience in gimmick matches and I think has a bit more of a killer instinct.

I am not sure which way I am votng here, so I will let anyone but Will try to convince me. Either way, this match with both men in their prime would be terrific.

I always thought that stap matches pretty much consisted of the same formula, give or take. Dumb heel, outsmarted by face. I don't think Edge qualifies as being a dumb heel, I think he's on the opposite side of the spectrum. In that case, smart heel always defeats plucky babyface, in strap matches that is.

I really don't know who'd win this.

Edge would seemingly have limitless ways to occupy Steamboat so he could get to the corners... But Ricky would have limitless ways to cut him off.
This is a really tough one... I don't think the no DQ factor comes into play here, so I think that's a disadvantage for Edge.
Ricky would find it very difficult to get to the top rope without Edge yanking him off... Yet it would be easy for Edge to hit the spear in these conditions since Ricky wouldn't really be able to get away...

I dunno, I need to hear some arguements.

I always thought that stap matches pretty much consisted of the same formula, give or take. Dumb heel, outsmarted by face. I don't think Edge qualifies as being a dumb heel, I think he's on the opposite side of the spectrum. In that case, smart heel always defeats plucky babyface, in strap matches that is.

That's the formula for seemingly most strap matches, but lets not forget that JBL beat the much smarter Eddie Guerrero in a texas bullrope match, which is exactly the same as a strap match. So the smartest wrestler doesn't always win, don't give Edge the victory based on that.

Edge seems like the type to try to untie himself while the ref isn't looking, but he's smart enough to not try anything while the ref is alert. Edge is a master in gimmick matches, has a clear advantage in his wrestling style in this type of match, Steamboat stays grounded for the most part.

Gotta give it to Edge.

Thought I should probably give some examples:

The Face Outsmarts The Heel - The usual tapping the corners when the heel is pulling you round the ring, see Sable vs. Luna. Or rather, don't.

Being Plucky Get's You Nowhere - Try as he might, the babyface just can't get a break, he loses. See Eddie Guerrero vs. JBL. Or rather, don't.

In what world isn't Ricky Steamboat the plucky babyface?

Edge for the win. As Jake has said, Edge is a very smart heel, He has outsmarted some of the best wrestlers of hbis generation, And Steamboat definetly falls into plucky babyface, And 9/10 they loses in sitiuations like that.

That's the formula for seemingly most strap matches, but lets not forget that JBL beat the much smarter Eddie Guerrero in a texas bullrope match, which is exactly the same as a strap match. So the smartest wrestler doesn't always win, don't give Edge the victory based on that.

JBL was smart enough to tap the 3 corners that Eddie dragged him to, Then got lucky on the fourth.

I always thought that JBL was one of the smarter wrestlers around. I also always thought that Eddie Guerrero was one of those wrestlers where nobody had an opinion on his smarts.

JBL also defeated Savio Vega in a strap match. The very same Savio Vega who defeated Steve Austin in the same gimmick match.

While I appreciate The Dragon's athletic ability here, the point of the match is to take the opponent down long enough to touch all four corners. I don't remember The Dragon using many high impact moves that would decimate his opponents. A lot of his wins were based on cool pinning combos, or the flying body press. Neither would do any good in this match. Edge has the spear, and a number of his former finishers that could keep Ricky down for the long haul.

Well, I said this at the beginning. If Edge didn't run into Stan Hansen, then he'd win the entire region. I'm sticking with it. Steamboat is a man who's driven and would give Edge serious fits, and possibly upset him, but the thing Edge presents that Steamboat doesn't is killer instinct. Edge is the Ultimate Opportunist and would somehow, some way get all four corners touched and win the match.

This match would be epic, though. In their primes, with a strap involved. It'd be a classic. A classic that Edge ultimately will win.

Vote is for Edge.

I supported Steamboat in his previous match, but I think that this is the end of the road for him.

Edge is not like your usual heels. He can be psychotic if he needs to be, but he can also be very smart. And that is going to be his main advantage here. Steamboat won a lot of matches by roll-ups and other pins like that. He doesn't have many high impact moves in his arsenal that will be able to keep down the Rated R Superstar down long enough for him to drag him around the ring and tap the 4 corners. While Edge has a couple of moves that if he is able to hit them he is basically guaranteed the win.

Also, some of Steamboat's moves can be easily negated because of the strap that is keeping both men connected. If Steamboat attempts at going to the top turnbuckle and hit a flying crossbody then Edge will simply pull the strap and take The Dragon down, that is how he is going to work the match in his favor by doing things like that which he will be able to do with a lot of Steamboat's moves in his arsenal.

Another thing that should be mentioned is the fact that Edge has far more experience in gimmick matches than Ricky does. Which is going to also work in his advantage because Ricky is going to be out of his element here and he really won't know what to do in this type of match because of his lack in experience in matches like this, where as Edge will know exactly what to do.

Simply put Edge is the Ultimate Opportunist and he always finds a way to win his matches and this match is not going to be any different. I am Voting for Edge.

Wow, Ricky Steamboat made it all the way here!? Wrestlemania, thank you!

Both men are talented and athletic. Ricky a little more so, but Edge has more experience in gimmick matches and I think has a bit more of a killer instinct.

I am not sure which way I am votng here, so I will let anyone but Will try to convince me. Either way, this match with both men in their prime would be terrific.

Honestly, WM could have benefited Steamboat, but honestly I think he was the better wrestler in all of his matches.

This is a toss-up for me. Steamboat was a hell of a wrestler. Edge on the other hand strives in Gimmick matches. But this isn't a match with Tables, Ladders, and chairs. I am leaning towards Edge, but someone could persuade me to the Steamboat side.

While it's easy to say that Steamboat's success in this tournament is due to some afterglow from WM, it's not entirely accurate. I think it's been a factor sure, but Steamboat is also one of the best all around wrestlers in the history of the business. Steamboat had some respectable strength, great agility, speed, high flying offense, great technical capability. The guy really did have it all. The reason a lot of fans are so taken with the guy now is that WM showed that, even at his age, he's a better in-ring performer than probably half the WWE locker room.

As to this match, I think it could go either way. In this match, the first one to make a mistake that renders himself incapaciated for just a brief period could lose. I'd say the two would be about even in strength, maybe a slight edge to Steamboat, and they're pretty much even physically altogether. Steamboat is a much better technical wrestler while Edge...like him or not, the guy's wiley. He knows how to use any situation and twist it to his advantage maybe more than any guy in wrestling right now. If Edge can find some sort of opportunistic niche in this match, he'll find it and use it. It's a trait that's helped win him 9 world titles.

I still need to be persuaded int his match up. I'm a big Edge fan, but ti's getting hard to defend the man and his title reigns at this point. Yes, the man excels at gimmick matches, but losing titles month in and month out gets old at a point, and the inability of him to hold onto said title, shows that when confronted face to face, more then likely, he'll lose.

Yes, this is a gimmick match, and yes it's in the realm of Edge dominance, but this isn't the type of gimmick match that suits Edge. Edge is going to be tied up to the other wrestler. That means, no moving out of the way, no back peddling, no time outs to rethink strategy, this is man to man, tied together by a leather strap, an old school gimmick suited for an old school wrestler like Steamboat.

I'm l eaning with Steamboat, but can be persuaded to go to Edge, given the right circumstance.

Edge would find a way to win, plain and simple. Edge cheats to win; he finds opportunities. This match takes place in ECW, therfore it's not even cheating for him to arrange for outside interference, or throw powder in Steamboat's eyes, or get his hands on an additional weapon.

I think it's pretty frickin' cool that Steamboat got this far (although he should not have advance past his last match), but it has to be the end of the line here. Steamboat's strength is mat wrestling mixed with a few high flying moves. Neither of which are going to happen in this scenerio.

Edge moves on.

Edge all the way. If ever there was a stipulation that favoured him, this is it. Steamboat's work off the ropes is meaningless with a strap and Edge has the spear plus some thoroughly nasty submission maneuvers including the sharpshooter and an inverted version that, if anything, puts more pressure on the back. I don't even see Edge having to cheat to win. Over he goes - onwards and upwards.

I have to go Edge here. Like others have said, it is the type of match he'd win. He is the smart, sneaky heel against the wholesome babyface. I think the heel wins that everytime in a strap match. Especially the Edge character, who would find his oppurtunity.

Furthermore, I don't think Steamboat would have anything that could keep Edge down long enough to drag him to all 4 corners. Armdrags certainly aren't going to due it. Edge could hit a spear of Edgectuion, and be able to drag Steamboat to all four corners.

I think this is a rather easy choice, and I'm voting for Edge.

I still need to be persuaded int his match up. I'm a big Edge fan, but ti's getting hard to defend the man and his title reigns at this point. Yes, the man excels at gimmick matches, but losing titles month in and month out gets old at a point, and the inability of him to hold onto said title, shows that when confronted face to face, more then likely, he'll lose.

Yes, this is a gimmick match, and yes it's in the realm of Edge dominance, but this isn't the type of gimmick match that suits Edge. Edge is going to be tied up to the other wrestler. That means, no moving out of the way, no back peddling, no time outs to rethink strategy, this is man to man, tied together by a leather strap, an old school gimmick suited for an old school wrestler like Steamboat.

I'm l eaning with Steamboat, but can be persuaded to go to Edge, given the right circumstance.

I agree with you on the fact that if he is confronted face to face he will more than likely loose and that losing titles month in and month out gets old at a point. But notice that every time he has a title defense or he has won a title it has most of the time has been a gimmick match.

Let's look at the facts starting with last year's Survivor Series:

He defeated Triple H and Vladimir Kozlov to become the new WWE champion. The gimmick in this match was that it was a triple threat match. He won that match.

The month after he had regain his title he dropped it to Jeff Hardy. The pay per view was Armageddon and the match was a triple threat that also involved Triple. He ending up losing the title to Jeff Hardy.

But the next month in January he defeated Jeff Hardy at the Royal Rumble in a No Disqualification match and regained his title.

At No Way Out he lost the champion on the first elimination chamber match. He was pinned first and eliminated by Jeff Hardy. But later on in the night he came out to the other elimination chamber but before he entered he attacked Kofi Kingston and secured himself a spot in the chamber. He ended up winning the title yet again by pinning Rey Mysterio.

At Wrestlemania 25 he lost his title to John Cena in a match that also involved The Big Show. The stipulation was a triple threat match.

The following month at Backlash he defeated John Cena to regain the title and became a 9-time World Champion. The match stipulation for this match was a Last Man Standing.

The next month at Judgment Day he retained his title in a single match against Jeff Hardy.

Notice how well Edge does when it comes to straight up one one one matches that have a stipulation, and he also has done good in singles competition with no stipulation. He might have gotten some help in those one on one matches but he still won which is what ultimately matters the most in a match. He tends to not do so good when it is a multiple man matches, but unfortunately for The Dragon this is a one on one Strap Match. A gimmick match that Edge would thrive in.

I love Ricky Steamboat as a wrestler but I just can't see him winning here.

Vote Edge.

I think Edge seems to be the pretty solid favorite, without needing my help to overly boost him through like it was needed in the Raven victory. HOWEVER, please let it be known I'm more than willing to help convince anyone who is willing to keep an open mind about this situation - on why voting for Edge is truly the only option there is, if you're voting fairly and logically.

I'm going to start with some basics, and we can go from there with whoever isn't convinced off the small stuff.

The only true disadvantage Edge has in this contest, is as Shocky said - he'll be constantly tied to his opponent and unable to back-peddle, run away, or keep his distance to rethink strategy. Or at least it's the only assumed "disadvantage" when clearly this gimmick works more in Edge's favor than some could assume.

How many Strap matches have you witnessed, where the heel manages to disconnect himself from the strap, then manage to find ways to cheat further? Almost anytime one has happened. Edge's gimmick and 'character' fits this role, perfectly. He's the type of guy who'd quicker rather than later find a way out of the strap and then find a way to use that against Steamboat - such as tying the strap to a corner, enabling Steamboat from moving, perhaps.

I've seen some people use the crap logic that Steamboat is stronger. How does this figure in? Under what logic is he stronger? Edge has put down power guys like the Big Show, Undertaker & Batista with his spear, all for a 3 count or longer. If Edge has that much power behind one spear, think of the damage he could do to a guy that has the body size of Chris Jericho.

Some have said Steamboat (in his day) would be considered 'the Jeff Hardy of now.' :wtf: In his day, Steamboat's high flying consisted of a cross body block and a drop kick. I'd hardly consider him "Hardy-like". Not to mention, even if this were true - none of that high flying ability is going to come in useful for a face who is attached to a heel, who won't let him get near a corner to climb it - or tap it.

I've even seen Shocky use the logic that this strap match favors the Old school Steamboat, as opposed to the new school Edge. I don't think that could be considered accurate considering Edge wasn't knowledgeable to match-types like Ladders, Tables and Chairs when he first got stuck in those gimmick matches - but he adapted quickly, learned the positives and negatives and took full advantage of everything he could. Edge is a powerful thinker and has full use of his brain to think out way before the match even takes place what he can and can't do, with a strap attached to another guy.

Finally, someone said this is a strap match and Edge won't be capable of using his signature Chairs, Ladders or Tables. Why? Strap matches have no rules - and Steamboat won't always be able to stop Edge (who'll be trying constantly) from leaving the ring and grabbing them to use at a later point in time.

Yes, Edge in doing so could set up being hung by the rope, or yanked back into the ring apron - but sooner or later, he'll get what he wants. He always does. And when that happens, he'll only become that much more dangerous.

SO, in conclusion - Edge has full advantage in this contest against the old school Legend. Steamboat was good, but Edge is better.

I voted for Steamboat, and no Will, it's not because of the Edge v. Raven debacle. It is however, because Edge seems to lose the title fast than he wins it, and:

Edge would be the type of heel that would get lots of heat in ECW, but not actually win. Being from Canada, he'd be hated just as much as Lance Storm, who is the closest thing to Edge that has stepped into the ECW Arena. So, he's got booking going against him, and it puts all the fans behind the Dragon.

As Jake said, Steamboat may be the ultimate plucky babyface, but that would change with the number of fans he'd have behind him. They wouldn't just be supporting him, they'd be cheering loudly, and giving Edge all sorts of fits. It'd distract him long enough for Ricky to capitalize.

Also, a Strap Match is an NWA type of match. Edge has never had a match in the smaller ring, and has never fought in anything close to the NWA. Ricky did, and did well. It'll be a hell of a match, but my vote goes for Ricky winning.

I voted for Steamboat, and no Will, it's not because of the Edge v. Raven debacle. It is however, because Edge seems to lose the title fast than he wins it, and:

Edge would be the type of heel that would get lots of heat in ECW, but not actually win. Being from Canada, he'd be hated just as much as Lance Storm, who is the closest thing to Edge that has stepped into the ECW Arena. So, he's got booking going against him, and it puts all the fans behind the Dragon.

As Jake said, Steamboat may be the ultimate plucky babyface, but that would change with the number of fans he'd have behind him. They wouldn't just be supporting him, they'd be cheering loudly, and giving Edge all sorts of fits. It'd distract him long enough for Ricky to capitalize.

Also, a Strap Match is an NWA type of match. Edge has never had a match in the smaller ring, and has never fought in anything close to the NWA. Ricky did, and did well. It'll be a hell of a match, but my vote goes for Ricky winning.

No offense, NSL, but this is the type of lack-luster crap excuse I despise seeing.

First, I think it needs to clearly be said.. THE FANS DON'T FUCKING WIN MATCHES! Unless they're interfering, massively. Just because the place will be rowdy, doesn't mean shit. Edge (in John Cena's hometown) defeated John Cena. And the E.C.W fans cheer for talent and great gimmicks. (hence why guys like Sandman got over, despite being talentless) Edge has both talent (Storm-isque) and a great gimmick.. thus, the fans would love him.

Steamboat couldn't even get enough fan support back during the era of time that fans loved faces and hated heels. He was a career mid-carder, and never left that stage. Thus, the fans never reacted great enough to Steamboat - or his mildly average talent.

If you already voted, then you did so poorly. I would hope everyone else has enough brains to know how to think this through before voting. And once again, claiming that this whole match-up rests in the hands of the fans yelling, screaming and distracting one man.. is a horrible logic, especially when those fans would need to distract that one man - long enough for the alternative Opponent to drag him around the ring, tagging corners.

It's just not possible. Even the dumbest of Wrestlers would notice someone pulling them from corner to corner. And Edge doesn't fall for the fans, nor does he get distracted as easily as you believe he could.

How many Strap matches have you witnessed, where the heel manages to disconnect himself from the strap, then manage to find ways to cheat further? Almost anytime one has happened. Edge's gimmick and 'character' fits this role, perfectly. He's the type of guy who'd quicker rather than later find a way out of the strap and then find a way to use that against Steamboat - such as tying the strap to a corner, enabling Steamboat from moving, perhaps.

Except, here, he'd be disqualified. Read the rules. If he takes the strap off, he loses. Thanks for securing a Steamboat vote ;)

No offense, NSL, but this is the type of lack-luster crap excuse I despise seeing.

No offense taken. And, I bet you hate seeing it, because the fans really do effect what happens in ECW...

First, I think it needs to clearly be said.. THE FANS DON'T FUCKING WIN MATCHES! Unless they're interfering, massively. Just because the place will be rowdy, doesn't mean shit. Edge (in John Cena's hometown) defeated John Cena. And the E.C.W fans cheer for talent and great gimmicks. (hence why guys like Sandman got over, despite being talentless) Edge has both talent (Storm-isque) and a great gimmick.. thus, the fans would love him.

Besides the fact that Edge was practically booed out of the building at ONS '06, and only won because he pinned Beulah, and the fact that he was the most hated man in the building at ONS '05, yeah, sure...They'd love him. He's never said anything good about ECW, and would be eaten alive in any match under an ECW banner. I hate to bring it up, but imagine how many fans would hate him after defeating Raven. He's going to have more heat here, than he had under the sheets with Lita on RAW. I think you may be the only person that thinks Edge would be a fan favorite...

Steamboat couldn't even get enough fan support back during the era of time that fans loved faces and hated heels. He was a career mid-carder, and never left that stage. Thus, the fans never reacted great enough to Steamboat - or his mildly average talent.

I covered this...Steamboat had fans supporting him, but they weren't vocal. ECW crowds are quiet supporters. They'd cheer for him, and that would only be helped by them cheering against Edge.

If you already voted, then you did so poorly. I would hope everyone else has enough brains to know how to think this through before voting. And once again, claiming that this whole match-up rests in the hands of the fans yelling, screaming and distracting one man.. is a horrible logic, especially when those fans would need to distract that one man - long enough for the alternative Opponent to drag him around the ring, tagging corners.

They only need to distract him long enough for Steamboat to knock him out. Which would only take about 5 seconds. Steamboat could crotch him with the strap, and drag him around the ring while Edge is grabbing his balls...

It's just not possible. Even the dumbest of Wrestlers would notice someone pulling them from corner to corner. And Edge doesn't fall for the fans, nor does he get distracted as easily as you believe he could.

He's also only had one match in an ECW-like environment. They'll get in his head, and throw him off his game. Please understand, I'm not saying Steamboat wins this in a blowout. I know Edge will have some tricks up his sleeve, and lead the way most of the match, but I think Ricky wins.

In other conditions it would require more thought, but I have to say that I think Edge would win this one. Edge is far grittier a combatant than Steamboat, and would be able to last longer in the environment. Edge isn't stupid enough not to notice Steamboat touching the post if he is dragging him around, and he also has enough levarage to spear him in the middle of the ring then just walk around casually, Steamboat absolutely can't go to the top rope unless he want to guarantee defeat, so a win for Edge here.

The reason I'm going to vote for Edge is because he is just as, if not more talented than Steamboat, plus his ability to always seem to be able to pull it out. Steamboat could make it to three of the four ring posts twenty times, but Edge would always find a way to stop him from touching the last one, whether it's him getting up, cheating, taking the ref out, or getting some help from one of his allies. Edge has the insatiable ability to find a way to sneak a victory out of the arena, and he'll do just that in this match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back