Dwight Howard To The Lakers, Bynum To The 76ers, And Other Stuff Too!

PlayTheGame

The Cerebral Assassin
"A source with direct knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com's Marc Stein the Lakers will receive Howard, the Denver Nuggets will acquire Andre Iguodala, the 76ers will receive Andrew Bynum and Jason Richardson, and the Magic will get Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Nikola Vucevic and one protected future first-round pick from each of the other three teams. In addition, the Magic will be getting other pieces, including 76ers No. 1 draft pick Moe Harkless, a source told Stein." -ESPN.com

Might as well give this blockbuster trade its own thread. I think all teams benefit in this trade, especially my Lakers obviously. The Magic get a couple nice pieces, and they've FINALLY moved on from this LONG mess.

A quick note on the trading of Bynum: what a great sell-high he was. The guy just put together his first complete, injury-free season. The chances of him making it through another full season are not exactly great, as the past indicates. Great sell-high.

I'm also glad Pau was held onto. Has he slipped as of late? Yes. But the hate's gone too far with him, as he's still a top PF in the league. I was happy to see they held onto him, especially with his name potentially in the trade talks. I'd much rather have him over Al Harrington, who was rumored to go to LA.

Share your thoughts on the deal.

Nash, Kobe, Dwight and Pau... Nash can make it work.

Awesome for the Lakers, and should be awesome for the Magic (three first round picks, Affalo, etc).

Then there's Denver, who lost almost nothing and gained Iggy. Fantastic trade, all around.

:lmao:

Lakers are getting dumber by the day! Howard most likely won't even resign with the LA as he said multiple times he is testing FA after this year. They just gave up Bynum for what could equal a 1 year rental. Good move LA Flakers, you are going to look like fools if he doesn't resign.

joker.gif

:lmao:

Lakers are getting dumber by the day! Howard most likely won't even resign with the LA as he said multiple times he is testing FA after this year. They just gave up Bynum for what could equal a 1 year rental. Good move LA Flakers, you are going to look like fools if he doesn't resign.

joker.gif

The window is closing for that team anyhow. Soon they won't have Nash, Pau or Kobe... then what? Bynum? That guy can't lead a team. He'd soak up a ton of payroll and they won't win. At least with Howard they have a chance to win a title this year.

The window is closing for that team anyhow. Soon they won't have Nash, Pau or Kobe... then what? Bynum? That guy can't lead a team. He'd soak up a ton of payroll and they won't win. At least with Howard they have a chance to win a title this year.
Bynum is already better than Howard on the offensive end. Bynum doesn't need to lead a team minus that he never got the chance. At least with Bynum they could have could have gotten a few players and draft picks in return. Now: Howard may not resign, next to no decent draft picks, high payroll, Nash may give one or two years as will Kobe, no chance to rebuild for the foreseeable.....Yeah, they could be the Clippers in 3 or 4 years. Remember, this is the team that has only missed the playoffs 6 times in their entire history I believe. Bad move, could of and should of done better.

BTW, I still believe the Heat are the better team easily. They have only gotten deeper and better this off season, nobody on the Lakers can stop LeBron who is on a historic roll right now.

I am a Laker fan, so take that out of here.

It's not directed at you I just found that at this Lakers blog and wanted to post it.

Your a Laker fan who wants Bynum over Howard despite the fact that Bynums a whinny little immature bitch who checks out of games when he wants?

It's not directed at you I just found that at this Lakers blog and wanted to post it.

Your a Laker fan who wants Bynum over Howard despite the fact that Bynums a whinny little immature bitch who checks out of games when he wants.
Ok, sorry then. I didn't know that. Howard is a whiny little immature bitch too who will most likely leave after 1 year. At least with Bynum who despite is immaturity is a hell of a talent and could command a decent return next year.

Howard is a whiny little immature bitch too who will most likely leave after 1 year. At least with Bynum who despite is immaturity is a hell of a talent and could command a decent return next year.

Yeah, I'd agree that Dwight's a whinny bitch as well but not like Bynum. Howard's bitchiness comes off the court you don't have to worry about Dwight not giving full effort on the court or shooting threes when he wants. I live in LA and I watch about every Laker game and there's so many games in which Bynum just completely disappears and checks out because he's not getting the ball enough. As far as Dwight leaving LA next year you just don't know with him. Yeah he could go somewhere else and make more money but he could get that money back in LA with endorsements. Not to forget Dwight lives in LA in the offseason. Bynum could bring back a lot in return but that's only if he's willing to commit signing an extension with another team. That's the reason the Bynum-Howard straight up for one another didn't happen Bynum was unwilling to commit to Orlando same reason for the rumored three way deal with Cleveland Bynum wasn't willing to commit with them. That's a risk that the sixers took.

I like this trade more for the Nuggets than anyone else. Upgrading from Afflalo to Iguodala is huge since now they have a top defender against the Durants and Kobes.

To me, especially being a Laker fan, this is like trading for the same player. I had issues with Bynum's attitude, but Dwight's been the biggest douche this season. Its good that they held onto Gasol, even though he's been playing soft the past two seasons. But we all know the situation with Howard and his antics. I would've rather have kept Bynum, personally; there's no guarantee that Howard will resign after this coming season. The Lakers have a must win now attitude, which is good. At the same time they need a long term payoff as well. And Orlando is kinda getting the short end of the stick in this one. Rebuilding from the ground up I suppose. And with Philly giving up Iguodala, they might falter a little bit in competing in the east.

I though Howard already said he would sign an extension if he became a Laker after Brooklyn fell through?

I don't think the Lakers would have made this deal unless Howard already agreed in principle to sign an extension. Anyone keeping track of all of Orlando's picks that they have? Should be interesting to see if they use all the picks or try to turn them in to something bigger (like Houston sort of failed to do at this year's draft).

Regardless the 2012-13 Lakers are going to be under a microscope this year. Can't wait!

If Lakers win its a good thing as I almost guarantee Howard will resign, if they don't he's gone.

Even so the Lakers are looking damn good and should be fine even if Howard doesn't resign after this year.

As a Magic fan, this trade is absolute garbage. I'm happy Dwight is finally gone. Good riddance. But you can't tell me this trade is better than the one the Nets and the Rockets offered in recent months. Sure, three first-round picks sounds nice, but they're protected, which means they can't be lottery picks. And out of all the moving parts, the best you get is Afflalo? I'm not saying he's a bad player, but they got the worst part of that one. They didn't even really gain that much salary cap space as Hedo Turkoglu is still making a fortune. Speaking of Hedo, he is probably the Magic's best player now, which is a scary thought. It's going to be a long stretch of tough seasons in the coming years for the Magic.

As a local sports radio host said today, the Orlando Magic died last night.

Good trade all around but Orlando could of gotten much more have they completed the Brooklyn deal in which they would get Lopez,Brooks, Wallace (Was he in the trade, don't remember?) and four first rounders.

1. You've got to be crazy to rather have Bynum over Howard and I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that Dwight does indeed resign with LA.

2. Houston was all talk and never would have pulled the trigger on a straight up deal for Howard because there was no chance he was going to resign there.

3. I'll take this deal for Orlando over the Brooklyn deal. This deal saves Orlando more money because they don't have to take on $15 mill a year with Brook Lopez. They are also essentially getting the same 4 first round picks because Moe Harkless was the 15th overall pick in the 2012 draft and obviously has never played a minute in the NBA. With Howard in Brooklyn the Nets become a contender in the East so those first round picks wouldn't have been in the lottery either.

If Orlando made the deal with Brooklyn then Brook Lopez would be their best player and the face of the franchise. How did that go 2 years ago for the Nets? Oh that's right they won a total of 24 games. I'd bring up last year but Lopez only played 5 games because of ankle and foot injuries. I'd rather save more money then make a trade where you have to give a number two option $15 million when you don't even know if he'll be able to stay healthy. Lets also not forget the Magic got a $17 million trade exception in this deal with LA/Philly/Denver.

1. You've got to be crazy to rather have Bynum over Howard and I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that Dwight does indeed resign with LA.

Exactly. Everyone seems to forget that Bynum is a HUGE liability. He just put together his first complete season (and it was only 60 games, don't forget) since his sophomore campaign. He's an injury waiting to happen and has had extensive knee problems at an early age. On top of that, his behavioral issues had become almost intolerable over the past couple of years. Howard, unlike Bynum, will give you 100% effort every night AND is a more-skilled player overall. In fact, he's widely-regarded as the #1 Center in the NBA. It was an upgrade all-around.

2. Houston was all talk and never would have pulled the trigger on a straight up deal for Howard because there was no chance he was going to resign there.

Very true. The Lakers are confident that they can resign him after he experiences a winning culture, which he certainly will. I'm sure they'll have (at the least) a deep playoff run. Howard will most likely resign once he sees what life is like in LA and how playing with Kobe, Nash, and Pau is.

3. I'll take this deal for Orlando over the Brooklyn deal. This deal saves Orlando more money because they don't have to take on $15 mill a year with Brook Lopez. They are also essentially getting the same 4 first round picks because Moe Harkless was the 15th overall pick in the 2012 draft and obviously has never played a minute in the NBA. With Howard in Brooklyn the Nets become a contender in the East so those first round picks wouldn't have been in the lottery either.

Brook Lopez isn't the prize that people are trying to make him out to be. He's a guy who will never be an All-Star and is just above-average. I'm sick of hearing that the Magic got robbed. They handled this whole process terribly, and they got stuck in this corner late in the summer. If they were smart, they would have traded him for a premium well before he signed that ludicrous opt-in extension. But their backs were against the wall, and the Lakers pulled the trigger. If anything, blame the stupidity of the Magic and the fact that they dragged their feet.

If Orlando made the deal with Brooklyn then Brook Lopez would be their best player and the face of the franchise. How did that go 2 years ago for the Nets? Oh that's right they won a total of 24 games. I'd bring up last year but Lopez only played 5 games because of ankle and foot injuries. I'd rather save more money then make a trade where you have to give a number two option $15 million when you don't even know if he'll be able to stay healthy. Lets also not forget the Magic got a $17 million trade exception in this deal with LA/Philly/Denver.

Yeah, as I said, Lopez isn't anything special. The Nets are now an overrated team without Howard, the Magic are in rebuilding mode, and the Lakers were the clear winners of the 4-team trade (anyone saying otherwise is crazy). The Lakers are in win-now mode for the next couple of years, and hopefully these investments pay off for them. But now they have a piece that they can build around for the future after the Kobe-era, as Kobe said himself. They didn't have that with Bynum.

The Lakers are now in the top 3 teams in the NBA (along with the Thunder and the Heat). If you remember, a big reason why the Thunder beat the Lakers was due to the fact that the Thunder got so many easy lay-ins due to their speed up and down the court, and the fact that Bynum couldn't stop them in the paint. Howard will be an upgrade and a presence that will stop this. His addition immediately makes them more viable against the Thunder, as it does against the Heat as well. No one could stop James and Wade from going to the basket in the playoffs. But then again, they never had to storm the basket against Dwight Howard.

Nope, and rightfully so. What Dwight did was much worse then what LeBron did. The biggest reason Orlando couldn't get elite current talent in return was because Dwight scared off most potential suitors by saying he would only resign with Brooklyn.

Nope, and rightfully so. What Dwight did was much worse then what LeBron did. The biggest reason Orlando couldn't get elite current talent in return was because Dwight scared off most potential suitors by saying he would only resign with Brooklyn.

Yeah. I can understand not being happy with your situation and your team...but the last two years have just been embarrassing.

Exactly. Everyone seems to forget that Bynum is a HUGE liability. He just put together his first complete season (and it was only 60 games, don't forget) since his sophomore campaign. He's an injury waiting to happen and has had extensive knee problems at an early age. On top of that, his behavioral issues had become almost intolerable over the past couple of years. Howard, unlike Bynum, will give you 100% effort every night AND is a more-skilled player overall. In fact, he's widely-regarded as the #1 Center in the NBA. It was an upgrade all-around.

And Howard isn't an injury liability with all of his back issues? I've seen reports that have said he won't make the start of the season due to these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back