• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Draft Open for everyone

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
This thread is for the debaters only. The round opens today and will close on Friday at 6:00 PM CST Friday. The debaters can switch sides if both agree and PM me their agreement.

Dexter will be affirming the topic and Murfish negating

Resolved: military conscription is a superior alternative to a voluntary army.

Military conscription should only ever be used in times of huge warfare, such as the World Wars; ONLY when it is a necessity for the country to survive. I doubt forcing people into the army would make a 'superior alternative' to having those who have volunteered and who WANT to be there. Also, would you want to have possibly your life in the hands of someone who isn't 100% focused because they don't want to be there? I wouldn't.

I think the draft should be reinstated.

A volunteer army is a euphemism for an army of officers who choose to be there and enlisted men, who, for the most part, are there because they don't have another choice. We will call this group "poor people" or "minorities."

Now, of course, many people do choose to enlist, and they will be taken first, but when we need more troops, I think they should be drafted from the general public.

How could a President or Congressman start a war knowing that his child might have to go? We would only go to war in the most extreme of circumstances, to protect the electorate. The draft determines entry by birth date. This does not discriminate. We would not be throwing our poor out to die.

Lol, you think the President/Prime Ministers son would be sent to war in this day and age? I just laughed at the thought. They'd find some way of keeping them out of the conflict. And they're in charge of the country, so who's going to stop them?

In general, it'd be the people with Working Class jobs fighting anyway. We still need all the teachers, doctors and lawyers to keep the country running. It's the factory workers and shop assistants who would be sent to fight.

Why should the draft be reinstated? We're fine where we're at right now. So many things disqualify people from the military at this point anyway that a draft wouldn't produce much more in terms of qualified people.

Lol, you think the President/Prime Ministers son would be sent to war in this day and age? I just laughed at the thought. They'd find some way of keeping them out of the conflict. And they're in charge of the country, so who's going to stop them?

In general, it'd be the people with Working Class jobs fighting anyway. We still need all the teachers, doctors and lawyers to keep the country running. It's the factory workers and shop assistants who would be sent to fight.

Why do people think that politicians try to get their children out of military service? I'd be shocked if most of them didn't go, as they probably have aspirations to go into politics themselves. An overwhelming majority of Presidents have served in the military, and, even if two of past three Presidents haven't served in the military, I'd be shocked in this becomes a long-term trend.

Also, aren't both English princes in the military.

τδιγλε;1499518 said:
Why do people think that politicians try to get their children out of military service?

Because it's human nature to NOT want to send your child to death?

I'd be shocked if most of them didn't go, as they probably have aspirations to go into politics themselves. An overwhelming majority of Presidents have served in the military, and, even if two of past three Presidents haven't served in the military, I'd be shocked in this becomes a long-term trend.

But they've made the choice to serve in the military. Forcing your child into something where there's a huge rick of death doesn't seem like something most people would do. If their child didn't want to be in the military they'd find a way to stop it happening.

Also, aren't both English princes in the military.[/quote]

Again, they want to be - which is different to forcing them.

Prince Harry ring a bell? He went to war. It took the Queen to get him home, against his will. He volunteered, but he went. In World War II and even Vietnam, all kinds of politicians kids went. Now, I think that the President's kids should be exempt. They would be targeted, and it isn't right to send people to war who would be targets.

Doctor's wouldn't be exempt. The military needs trauma surgeons. College students have always been exempt, but graduates would be officers. Teachers would be leaders, lawyers, likely commanders. The need for the educated to lead the uneducated is apparent. And, with the risk of another Vietnam style revolt amongst the people, we are only considering the most extreme of circumstances.

The Iraq war wouldn't have had a draft. We have plenty of willing soldiers. Something like war with China would force us to draft.

Because it's human nature to NOT want to send your child to death?

But they've made the choice to serve in the military. Forcing your child into something where there's a huge rick of death doesn't seem like something most people would do. If their child didn't want to be in the military they'd find a way to stop it happening.

Also, aren't both English princes in the military.

Again, they want to be - which is different to forcing them.[/QUOTE]

You seriously underestimate the power of manliness and the culture of honor in Western society. Almost any man who is part of a political family and aspires to keep this tradition of public service going will join the military.

Prince Harry ring a bell? He went to war. It took the Queen to get him home, against his will. He volunteered, but he went.

Exactly.

Doctor's wouldn't be exempt. The military needs trauma surgeons. College students have always been exempt, but graduates would be officers. Teachers would be leaders, lawyers, likely commanders. The need for the educated to lead the uneducated is apparent. And, with the risk of another Vietnam style revolt amongst the people, we are only considering the most extreme of circumstances.
But we ALSO need teachers, lawyers and doctors back in the country. It would be a majority working class who were sent to fight.

τδιγλε;1499552 said:
You seriously underestimate the power of manliness and the culture of honor in Western society. Almost any man who is part of a political family and aspires to keep this tradition of public service going will join the military.

But that's the point, if they want to go it's different. I'm saying the head of the country isn't going to force their child to go to war if they don't want to.

If a country attacked us like china, north korea,iran etc I hope the reaction would be alot like after Pearl Harhor, mass enlistment and a pissed off population and the draft wouldn't be needed.

I believe that drafting should only be introduced, like someone else said earlier, when a war on a huge scale has broken out. Thats the only time when I think it could be justified, just because thats the only time when we would need a mass influx of soldiers, in the millions most probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back