• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Don't you just love The Westboro Bapitst Church

LSN80

King Of The Ring
In their latest act of humanitarianism and tolerance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/westboro-boston-marathon_n_3091174.html

Truth be told, I didn't even need to read the article after seeing the headline to realize exactly where this was going. Still, a tweet from the church yesterday regards mention:

BREAKING: Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals of those dead by Boston Bombs! GOD SENT THE BOMBS IN FURY OVER *** MARRIAGE! #PraiseGod

So is God dead now, being that one of the suspects in the bombing yesterday was killed in a high-speed police chase?

All kidding aside, there's nothing new here. The fact that this church even carries the affiliation of being "Baptist"(Although I know they consider themselves Calvinists) is a disgrace. Further, they're praising God over the dead and the injured? It goes without saying, but even if God hated gay marriage, those people were the innocents, participating in an event that's a Boston holiday. An event they had trained for over the course of likely the past year, shattered by bombs. Three loved ones that came to support them in a time of triumph are now dead. And this is a cause for celebration from a church? And to make matters worse, they're now going to picket the funerals of those killed. Because I'm sure the 8 year old boy who made a sign just a year ago regarding "Stopping the hate and fighting" has come to fully understand his sexual orientation, right?

Can you imagine being the parent/family member/friend of someone who died, only to have protesters show up to "Praise God" over their death? I'm a laid back, mild mannered sort, but I'd snap, and have no qualms admitting I'd go after those protesters.

This will be a pretty boring thread based on just the obvious, as I doubt anyone of sound mind supports this church or their cause. Hell, Fred Phelps, the leader of the church, has had two grandaugthers leave the church in just the past few months over disagreements with the church's doctrine. Said Megan and Grace-Phelps-Roper in a joint statement:

"We know that we've done and said things that hurt people ... Inflicting pain on others wasn't the goal, but it was one of the outcomes. We wish it weren't so and regret that hurt."

I'll admit, I'm not as informed on the WBC as some here, but this is them at their worst from what I've seen, which says alot. What's sad as well is that I know what they stand against, but have no knowledge of what they stand for. With a website named Godhatesfags.com, you may find me confused, but I'm not. I see so much of what they consider evil(homosexuality, all other religions and denominations), but don't know what they consider to be good. So perhaps someone can enlighten me there.

However, I'd like to draw this away from what would(hopefully) simply be a one-sided discussion against them, so a few questions to perhaps steer this:

What was your first 'encounter' with the WBC(How did you first hear of them), and what was your reaction?

The Bible itself teaches that 'God is Love'. Where does so much hate come from inside individuals who "claim" to be Christians?

If a group such as this showed up at the funeral of a loved one of yours, how would you react?

Any supporters of the WBC out there willing to make a case for them? Is there good that they do that I'm unaware of?

I don't mind if people talk about the WBC more generally here then my questions, my hope is that this simply doesn't turn into a generalized bashing of the church. Rather, I'd like to see the bashing be more specific. ;)

That being said your thoughts and discussion on the topic as you want to take it is welcome and encouraged, as always.

The Bible itself teaches that 'God is Love'. Where does so much hate come from inside individuals who "claim" to be Christians?

The tactic of using religion to get people to listen to your own interpretations of events and ideas is as old as.....well, religion itself.

If a person announces: "I hate homosexuals"...people will usually disregard the one who says it. But if he says: "God hates homosexuals" there are lots of folks who stand up and take notice. Do they figure he must have gotten his information from up high?....I don't know the answer, but many people who have come to prominence have done so by telling us what God thinks and what God wants.

Now that the "GOD SENT THE BOMBS IN FURY OVER *** MARRIAGE!" garbage has been heard, there will undoubtedly be some people who take the message to heart. That those feeble-minded folk can't (or won't) separate that "what God wants" is actually what this particular church wants only indicates how many people are followers, like sheep. After all, don't many men of the cloth regard their congregations as "the flock?":shrug:

Religion can be a good thing, but it's used for many different purposes....and not all of them are good.

What was your first 'encounter' with the WBC(How did you first hear of them), and what was your reaction?

I don't remember how long I've known about them, but my reaction is of course one of disgust and pity.

Because they are warped people.

If a group such as this showed up at the funeral of a loved one of yours, how would you react?

I would react with violence and very few words. Is that simply rising to their baiting? Maybe, but it's what they deserve. I wish I could be as creative as Kevin Smith was in dealing with them when they picketed his movies. That's different of course than picketing the funeral of a loved one. That's a whole separate ball of wax.

Any supporters of the WBC out there willing to make a case for them? Is there good that they do that I'm unaware of?

I'm not the dude to make a case for these <Many Expletives Deleted> ... :blush:

I really really try not to bash people for their beliefs, even if they are beliefs that are just downright disgusting, but this picketing funerals needs to stop. I am not sure of a specific time when I heard about this church, but every time I hear about them I just about get sick. Being a straight male I do not understand homosexuality. Not even a little bit. That being said I couldn't care less who or what people choose to sleep with. How does my gay co worker or next door neighbor effect me by being gay? The answer is not at all. As long as people are happy and what they do doesn't negatively effect me or my family then they can do what ever they want as far as I am concerned. My point here is I don't understand why people's sexuality is such a hot topic. I thought this topic would be long dead by now. On to the prospect of one of these church group picketing one of my loved ones funerals. The answer there is I would not want to be them. I am a laid back guy, but pushed to far I am not a nice person at all. I would react to them doing that in a manner that would probably get me into a lot of trouble. I am not a tough guy, but in this instance I am guessing I would probably get violent. The fact is they would deserve what is coming to them too. Some things should just be off limits. I understand the right to protest, but Jesus Christ have some respect. Protesting a funeral of innocent people like that just shows that the people doing it are trash, and their opinions from that day forward should be disregarded from that point forward. It is really sad that we even have to have this conversation, and I think the world would be a much better place if people just worried about themselves more, and maybe tried to help someone once in a while instead of just condemning everything they don't understand or agree with. This church is a primary example of a group that could do a lot of good, but just spend all their time hating for whatever reason.

:

I first heard of them during my short time in the Army because they were protesting the funerals of fallen soldiers. My reaction was and still is one of pure disgust.

Hypocrites. These are the sort of people that give the rest of us Christians such a bad reputation. These are the ones that say they preach the Bible but in reality, they pick whatever verses that suit their needs.

I'd have to kill them. I would beat them with my bare hands. Hell I'm like you, I'm a very laid back individual but I'd snap in that situation.

I'm as uninformed as you are in that department.

I first heard about this bunch when CNN ran a story on them stating that some were trying to get the church labeled as a hate group.

As a Christian, I was and am completely disgusted by what I've heard them say. I don't know what was worse: hearing them spew that garbage or seeing kids barely out of diapers holding up signs with stuff like "God hates ****" and "God uses AIDS to cure ****" written on them. It goes against everything that Christianity is supposed to stand for. Unfortunately, they're not the first to use religion as a platform for bigotry & hate and they won't be the last.

If they showed up at the funeral of someone I loved doing what they do, I honestly don't know how I'd react. I'm not the best Christian and will never claim to be. I try not to judge others and to tolerate the points of others whose opinion differs from mine. However, I'm just as human & imperfect as everyone else. Like everyone else, I have a breaking point. So if they did show up, while I can't say for certainty, I have a strong feeling that I'd be facing serious criminal charges. Especially if I attempted to turn one of them into the world's largest popsicle by shoving one of those signs where the sun don't shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back