• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does UFC Need Koscheck to Win on Saturday?

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
MMA fans can say all they want - "MMA is real, wrestling is fake."

That's fine, MMA fan boys. But there are so many similarities between pro wrestling and MMA it's amazing. And one of them is the importance of the 'heel' character in selling tickets and PPV's.

When great heels (Randy Savage, Sgt. Slaughter, Ric Flair, Hollywood Hogan, etc.) hold major titles, fans yearn for the day someone beats them and puts them in their place. People wanted to see Chuck Liddel bitch slap Tito Ortiz.

Well Tito is long gone, and Brock Lesnar - MMA's best heel and biggest draw ever - is no longer the Heavyweight champion. Frankie Edgar is 1-0 as champion, Anderson Silva is boring, annoying, and great, and the Light Heavyweight Title is a hot potato with the most recent champ having lost already before the champ defended.

That leaves the clean cut, well natured George St. Pierre and his Welterweight title agaist the brash, cocky, obnoxious Josh Koscheck.

And secretly, even though GSP is the greatest ambassador in MMA history not names Randy Couture, I think Dana White and co. have to secretly hope Kos wins.

If Koscheck beats GSP, it'll be an upset everyone will be talking about for weeks, especially in the wake of the most entertaining season of The Ultimate Fighter ever. Furthermore, it will give Kos fuel to run his fat mouth, and the fans will HATE that. It'd be like Rex Ryan and the Jets winning the Superbowl and then doing a few lines of coke.

That's when the ride begins. Who'll knock off Koscheck and shut him up. Diego Sanchez? Probably not. Who then?

I can't prove this, but I wouldn't be shocked if deep down inside, UFC is secretly rooting for its next great heel to show his face this Saturday night.

Honestly, you might have something there. Yes UFC and WWE/Wrestling in general are similar that its always a better build up when you have a the bad guy vs the good guy, and yes its sometimes a good thing to have the bad guy win, especially in an upset, because it creates buzz and then everyone wants to see them lose, especially with Koscheck, I mean, I think his Mom even wants to see him lose to shut him up.

But anyway, you hypothesized that the UFC secretly wants Koscheck to win, to get that buzz going around the title and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised, however I think Dana White is truly indifferent. Either way its a good outcome for him, G.S.P wins (which I hope to god happens, being from Montreal) then people go home happy, the majority of UFC fans either buying the PPV and about 100% of the Bell Center crowd (me included) will be happy. Everyone will be happy. But if Koscheck wins, then you get that "Who's gonna woop the fuckers ass" before every fight, it'll be an upset that'll be talked about for a long time.

Either way, win-win.

IC25 you pose an excellent insight and I think you are right in most of your post. Everybody will truly tune in to see Koscheck get his face kicked in. But another issue is if GSP wins what is next he has honestly cleaned his whole respective division. UFC 127 Fitch vs BJ Penn is supposedly going to be for the no.1 contender spot, but really can you say they are certain winners, no never against GSP he is always the favourite.

In some regard Koscheck needs to win to make the welterweight division somewhat credible again, other than being dominated by "some french guy".

Simply put: No.

GSP is a top 2 biggest draw in MMA, and he will remain that way for quite sometime. There is absolutely no harm in him holding on to the title for quite some time. In fact, I think it's important that he does, since every other championship in the UFC seems to be flip-flopping around lately (with the exception of the MW Championship, but there are circumstances revolving around the title holder right now where he currently doesn't look like a dominant force anymore). It's extremely valuable for the UFC to have that one guy who people believe is unbeatable. It makes his fights automatically a must see, and I just don't think Koscheck could ever reach that kind of level. He would end up losing to Shields, anyway.

Moreover, speaking of Shields, no matter how many people hate Koscheck, Koscheck vs. Jake Shields wouldn't draw half as much as GSP vs. Jake Shields. That's pretty much a fact.

The way I see it, Kos winning this Saturday would cause more harm to the UFC than good, so there's absolutely no way they "need" Kos to win. It won't hurt the UFC to have this ultimate heel champion like Lesnar was for some time, but it'd be best served outside of the Welterweight Division.

I want Koscheck to win just to throw up a stir in the MMA world. However I don't think the UFC needs him to win. Like jmt255 said GSP vs Jake Shields would be a far bigger draw than Kos vs Shields.

I also agree with what Tha Wolfpac said by needing the welterweight division regaining some crediblity. But I think Jake Shields is the man who can really beat GSP. However I would like to see Kos pull a Serra.

Yeah I'm late on this, but honestly it would have been better for Koscheck to win. Kos wins in Montreal, and then surprise, UFC 129 is at Rogers Centre. That place would sell out quicker than a nude Britney Spears concert 10 years ago just to see GSP kick his ass. Of course now its being worked so that GSP will fight Shields. Either way, good fight and regardless of the outcome its good for the UFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back