Does the "nobody is good but Lebron and the Heat" thought process hurt basketball?

Robert Roode Fan

Occasional Pre-Show
I acually think lebron james might be the best player in the nba right now and this is coming from a guy who has never liked him. However there is a BIG problem I have with a lot of his fans who tend to go overboard. They hammer in that he is the only basketball player in history that is worth a damn and no ONE else is good at all besides him and the heat in the history of basketball.

I mean this is stupid. So if Lebron and the heat are so good, then how are they going to prove it, because NO ONE else is good, tim duncan must really suck, because he is not the best to ever live, Michal jordan sucks. So pretty much the entire NBA must be garbage other than lebron, so overall the it is a garbage . These same people go on about how basketball is better than football, but how are you going to convince people of this, if most of the leauge is filled with scrubs like they have said, that means that basketball sucks. How is this good for business? Are you really lebron fans, or you just enjoy tearing other people down and lerbon James is the tool to do that? To me these are not acually TRUE LEBRON James fans, they just use him to tear others down and somehow prove they are superior to others just because they like this guy

To me if you want convince people that lebron is great, how about praise the teams the heat beat, praise the spurs and make like this great achievement that no one else could do. Praise other teams, but then say the heat and lebron are better. This actually makes basketball and lebron and the heat look really good. However I doubt they would do this, because they only want to tear down others. It makes lerbon actually LOOK good when he his team beats other great teams. However nope, the spurs are just pure trash I guess.

Wtf are you going on about? Lebron James is the best player of his generation, and this Heat team has accomplished historic feats. Last season's winning streak, 4 straight NBA finals appearance and 2 back to back titles already in the bag. Even with all these, there are still fans that only cast a negative light on Lebron and the Heat. If you are only watching ESPN, then yeah expect the pimping of Lebron and the Heatles because the media learnt that's what sells. Why do you think the NBA kept trying to find the next Michael Jordan and the Bulls?

Lebron fans might go overboard, but at least their horse in the race actually contributes a heck of a lot to his teams winning. Just don't get started on Kobe's fans....

Seriously what's wrong with you? Lebron and the Heat has more haters than fans. Maybe Spurs fans are just too 'meh' to contribute in flame wars. That probably goes with having a good to great team to support for 15+ years. If anything, Lebron haters are saying he has had no competition hence he is so dominating. Don't get why you would say his fans are saying everyone sucks.

Wtf are you going on about? Lebron James is the best player of his generation, and this Heat team has accomplished historic feats. Last season's winning streak, 4 straight NBA finals appearance and 2 back to back titles already in the bag. Even with all these, there are still fans that only cast a negative light on Lebron and the Heat. If you are only watching ESPN, then yeah expect the pimping of Lebron and the Heatles because the media learnt that's what sells. Why do you think the NBA kept trying to find the next Michael Jordan and the Bulls?

Lebron fans might go overboard, but at least their horse in the race actually contributes a heck of a lot to his teams winning. Just don't get started on Kobe's fans....

Seriously what's wrong with you? Lebron and the Heat has more haters than fans. Maybe Spurs fans are just too 'meh' to contribute in flame wars. That probably goes with having a good to great team to support for 15+ years. If anything, Lebron haters are saying he has had no competition hence he is so dominating. Don't get why you would say his fans are saying everyone sucks.

It is still stupid, since we are on a wrestling forum, in wrestling there is the thought process that you need to as many people over as you can. THe problem with ESPN is they have the time to promote not only the heat, but everyone else that is doing good, it is dumb that if you don't win a title then your garbage then what good is the sport if ever other team sucks

The problem is that these people are mad that basketball is not as popular as football. The problem is the way the nba does stuff is not great marketing. Instead of promotoing all the good teams, they only promote the heat. When the mavericks won the title in 2011 all anyone would talk about is the heat. Why not promote other teams and then you can have an nba where everyone draws.

It is still stupid, since we are on a wrestling forum, in wrestling there is the thought process that you need to as many people over as you can. THe problem with ESPN is they have the time to promote not only the heat, but everyone else that is doing good, it is dumb that if you don't win a title then your garbage then what good is the sport if ever other team sucks

The problem is that these people are mad that basketball is not as popular as football. The problem is the way the nba does stuff is not great marketing. Instead of promotoing all the good teams, they only promote the heat. When the mavericks won the title in 2011 all anyone would talk about is the heat. Why not promote other teams and then you can have an nba where everyone draws.

NBA is a star-driven league. People pay to watch the stars first then the team second. ESPN TV is just doing what's best for business, which is really frustrating for fans that just want to enjoy the best recaps and analysis of games. Which is why I prefer their coverage on the internet when they have more leeway or TNT's coverage.

All sports coverage is about the stars and brand names of the sports. Tennis = Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray. Soccer = Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar or Real Madrid and Manchester United. Golf = Tiger Woods. They promote the star names over the form players/teams all the time. I don't watch 'football' but I'm sure that is the case as well. The reason you might think they have a better coverage is the teams in contention changes more frequently in 'football' more than other sports. So fresher names are in the spotlight more.

Anyway they have been pimping out Spurs and Indiana over the past few years so you can't say they aren't promoting other teams.

A lot of the sports talk guys are comparing lebron to jordan...i can understand theirlogic but jordan was on another level. There are def a couple of players like griffin and durant that are on lebrons level...theyre comparable. With jordan there was no such comparisions.

Nba playoffs have had tremendous rantings these 3 years since dallas won. The rarings look worse this year. Miami hasnt been a con for the league, the opposite is true, but maybe its becoming a problem this year.

Reminds me...f me, i forgot to watch the pistons 30 30.... :(

A lot of the sports talk guys are comparing lebron to jordan...i can understand theirlogic but jordan was on another level.
Only if you think that level is below LeBron. Otherwise, you are wrong.

With jordan there was no such comparisions.
Yeah, because Jordan was never compared to Bird, Magic, Wilt or anyone else in history. :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is LeBron James is every bit as good now as Jordan ever was. He's done things Jordan never did, and his teams have done things Jordan's teams never did. Aside from nostalgia, scoring and the NBA Finals (which is such a stupid argument in the first place), what can you say Jordan has over LeBron? Not FG%, as Jordan never shot over 55% in his life (Lebron has shot over 56% the last two years). Not rebounding, as James routinely averages more rebounds a year than Jordan did. Not assists, as James routinely averages more assists each year than Jordan. Not versatility, as James guards every position from 1-4 (and sometimes 5, but rarely).

LeBron James is a different type of player than Jordan was, but he's every bit as good. And he's only 29 years old. By the time he's done, there's a very good chance we'll call LeBron the greatest player in basketball history.

Slyfox696: two things

Imo griffin or durant, in the right team, right envoirment, could be as good as lebron.

A lot of this is about legacy. Jordan was never, NEVER, outshined like dirk outshined lebron in that series. That hurts lebrons legacy.

*environment

Stats wise, Lebron can make a case of being better than Jordan. I agree with Slyfox that if Lebron can continue his current dominance, he has a legit chance to be in the conversation for the greatest player. He carried Mo Williams into all star level recognition lol.

But to me, Jordan is still better than Lebron due to him dominating the game from the SG position in an era where big men ruled the game. Both are greats and dominate the game in their eras, but Lebron does have the stigma of losing when his team was favoured in that Dallas final. (though in hindsight Dallas did have a very high payroll on that team)

I think Jordan was on another level culturally. He was the superstar that really promoted the game worldwide and had the legend of never losing in the Finals. Lebron is being judged for not doing the same which is entirely unfair since the league and popularity of the game has changed a lot since then.

Slyfox696: two things

Imo griffin or durant, in the right team, right envoirment, could be as good as lebron.
The right environment? Durant is playing with two All-Star caliber players entering their prime. Griffin is playing with the best point guard in the league and one of the best coaches in the NBA.

How much better of an environment can one ask for?

A lot of this is about legacy. Jordan was never, NEVER, outshined like dirk outshined lebron in that series.
Bullshit. Michael Jordan took his ass whippings too. Just because it was 25 years ago, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. The knock on Jordan for a long time was that he would never be able to win the big one.
But to me, Jordan is still better than Lebron due to him dominating the game from the SG position in an era where big men ruled the game.
No they didn't.

Both are greats and dominate the game in their eras, but Lebron does have the stigma of losing when his team was favoured in that Dallas final.
So? How about all the times Jordan lost before his team could even make the NBA Finals? How come no one ever criticizes Jordan for every year before 1991? Or how about 1995? It's like people just forget Jordan didn't win every title every year.

I think Jordan was on another level culturally.
Yes, but A) that has nothing to do with basketball and B) Jordan didn't have to deal with 24/7 media and social media. Jordan would be absolutely killed today for the things he did.

Bigs absolutely dominated decision making and team building during Jordan's time. Almost every elite team before Jordan had a dominant big anchoring the team. Jordan and Pipen's dominance change the perception that all team building had to start from the bigs first.

Jordan were blasted for not carrying the Bulls over the top before the championship runs. Over time that criticism has died down because well it seem petty to do so after he won 6 titles after that. He came back from semi-retirement in 1995 and most gave him a pass as him not being fully fit.

I agree Jordan would be killed today for what he did. Imagine if Lebron decided to take a 2 year break during his prime due to personal reasons. That's what Jordan did. But we forgive more as time goes by. I wouldn't be shocked if we look back on Lebron's career in 10 years time and forget all the BS his haters are nitpicking on right now and only focus on the positive side of his game.

Bigs absolutely dominated decision making and team building during Jordan's time. Almost every elite team before Jordan had a dominant big anchoring the team. Jordan and Pipen's dominance change the perception that all team building had to start from the bigs first.
I disagree. Bigs were already on their way out, thanks to the introduction of the three point line, first in the NBA and then later in college.

The game was changing already and it had nothing to do with Jordan. Furthermore, addressing your first statement, bigs didn't dominate in Jordan's time on top. There were only a handful of good centers during Jordan's championship runs and Jordan never met any of them in the NBA Finals.

Jordan were blasted for not carrying the Bulls over the top before the championship runs.
Exactly. People tend to forget this, but since LeBron is now, it's fresh in their minds.

Over time that criticism has died down because well it seem petty to do so after he won 6 titles after that.
Not to mention it's a stupid argument in the first place, to blame one man for the "failures" of 12.

He came back from semi-retirement in 1995 and most gave him a pass as him not being fully fit.
As well they should...just like they should give LeBron a pass for taking a terrible Cavaliers team to the Finals and not winning or a Heat team that was still learning to play together to the Finals and losing.

I agree Jordan would be killed today for what he did.
There's no doubt. LeBron is crucified because he decided where to play basketball on national television. Jordan was a reckless gambler, staying out all hours of the night and was constantly slighting other players in the league.

But since it happened before 24/7 media and social media, people tend to revere Jordan.

I wouldn't be shocked if we look back on Lebron's career in 10 years time and forget all the BS his haters are nitpicking on right now and only focus on the positive side of his game.
People SHOULD be doing that now. LeBron James is a once in a lifetime player. What he does on a basketball court is nothing short of amazing but because people are stupid they find all sorts of dumb reasons to criticize James.

LeBron James is easily every bit as good as Michael Jordan on the basketball court. And by the time he's done, he might just be the greatest of all time.

Jordan were blasted for not carrying the Bulls over the top before the championship runs. Over time that criticism has died down because well it seem petty to do so after he won 6 titles after that. He came back from semi-retirement in 1995 and most gave him a pass as him not being fully fit.

I agree Jordan would be killed today for what he did. Imagine if Lebron decided to take a 2 year break during his prime due to personal reasons. That's what Jordan did. But we forgive more as time goes by. I wouldn't be shocked if we look back on Lebron's career in 10 years time and forget all the BS his haters are nitpicking on right now and only focus on the positive side of his game.

This is true right here.

Don't blame Lebron or the fans; blame Stern. If Stern had marketed the NBA like the NFL, then the league wouldn't be so star dependent. The value is marketing teams and their brand of basketball with the top stars being the face. Hopefully Silver can right the ship.

By the way, Lebron is already at Jordans level and will surpass him. The Heat and Spurs would destroy those Bulls teams. The triangle is a dead offense and iso oriented teams have no more room in this league. Is it a coincidence that the teams with the best offensive system and defensive philosophy have been title contenders for the last couple of years?

I disagree. Bigs were already on their way out, thanks to the introduction of the three point line, first in the NBA and then later in college.

The game was changing already and it had nothing to do with Jordan. Furthermore, addressing your first statement, bigs didn't dominate in Jordan's time on top. There were only a handful of good centers during Jordan's championship runs and Jordan never met any of them in the NBA Finals.

Exactly. People tend to forget this, but since LeBron is now, it's fresh in their minds.

Not to mention it's a stupid argument in the first place, to blame one man for the "failures" of 12.

As well they should...just like they should give LeBron a pass for taking a terrible Cavaliers team to the Finals and not winning or a Heat team that was still learning to play together to the Finals and losing.

There's no doubt. LeBron is crucified because he decided where to play basketball on national television. Jordan was a reckless gambler, staying out all hours of the night and was constantly slighting other players in the league.

But since it happened before 24/7 media and social media, people tend to revere Jordan.

People SHOULD be doing that now. LeBron James is a once in a lifetime player. What he does on a basketball court is nothing short of amazing but because people are stupid they find all sorts of dumb reasons to criticize James.

LeBron James is easily every bit as good as Michael Jordan on the basketball court. And by the time he's done, he might just be the greatest of all time.
Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo, Daugherty. Each were key pieces to their teams. Just from the center position during Jordan's era. I'm not too big on history but I feel pro game only really felt a major change due to the 3 point line after the Nash and D'antoni's success with the Suns. Before that it the trigger was still with the bigs post up play.

The flaw in your thinking is many are too quick to judge Lebron, both on the pro and negative side of the fence. It is too soon to proclaim him better than MJ, not when he is still in his prime. And it is ridiculous to label him as inferior to the other all time greats just because he couldn't carry his team on his own all the time.

Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo, Daugherty.
You have some crossover there. Besides that, Olajuwon was really the only elite center during the Jordan years. Ewing was great, but a perennial underachiever. Shaq didn't truly become Shaq until after Jordan retired and Phil came to LA. While I always like Mourning and Mutombo, they weren't elite players by any stretch of the imagination. David Robinson was very good.

Just from the center position during Jordan's era.
But only a couple of them were actually great during Jordan's era.

I'm not too big on history but I feel pro game only really felt a major change due to the 3 point line after the Nash and D'antoni's success with the Suns. Before that it the trigger was still with the bigs post up play.
Nah, the 3 point line was already having an effect on the game at that point. What Nash and D'antoni did had a lot to do with how the Spurs play today, but it didn't really make the 3pt line popular.

The flaw in your thinking
Uhh, there is no flaw in my thinking.

is many are too quick to judge Lebron, both on the pro and negative side of the fence.
We definitely agree on this. But we can look at the stats and say LeBron now is every bit as good as MJ ever was.

Those were all great centers. Not in the top tier elite 'greatest ever' during Jordan's run but still very much a factor. Lebron James have difficulty against Roy Hibbert, and I think everyone one of those are a class above Hibbert. I even left out the likes of Mchale.

I disagree and say MJ was much better. Stats wise we can say Lebron has a case but the box score doesn't tell the complete story. Rules were different. Defence and offence philosophy are different. Would both be great in each other's era? Of course. But given a choice of either one Jordan is still widely considered the better player by the majority due to him being in more championship teams.

T
The right environment? Durant is playing with two All-Starcaliber players entering their prime. Griffin is playing with the best point guard in the league and one of the best coaches in the NBA.

How much better of an environment can one ask for?

Bullshit. Michael Jordan took his ass whippings too. Just because it was 25 years ago, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. The knock on Jordan for a long time was that he would never be able to win the big one.
No they didn't.

So? How about all the times Jordan lost before his team could even make the NBA Finals? How come no one ever criticizes Jordan for every year before 1991? Or how about 1995? It's like people just forget Jordan didn't win every title every year.

Yes, but A) that has nothing to do with basketball and B) Jordan didn't have to deal with 24/7 media and social media. Jordan would be absolutely killed today for the things he did.

Michael Jordan couldn't win the big one by himself. Basketball,back then was way more aggressive, where as now the slightest hint of contact leads from a flagrant 1 foul. Jordan learned to jell with the team that was instilled around him. Would LeBron have a ring right now had he not left Cleveland and joined Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh? LeBron can play different positions because look how big he is. He's 6'8 where as Jordan was 6'). Two inches in basketball is a lot. Jordan could play the 1,2 it's on the floor any given time. I recall a game his #23 Jersey got stolen, he played 30 minutes at the 4 against a talented Penny Hardaway Magic team. He scored 32 points.

As for that 1995 season - he had just came back in March that year! The man had been out of the league for two years. But tell me this....when LeBron drives into the lane it is over weak.interior players. LeBron didn't play against Hakeem, Ewing, David Robinson, Mutombo, Mourning, ect. Jordan did. Would you argue LeBron is more clutch than Jordan? Where as LeBron passed out of a clear shot in the lane to pass to a player on the wing who missed the shot?

Also tell me when was the last time a guard was awarded Defensive Player of the year? Or led a team to over 70+ wins in a season. There is no Michael Jordan, it's no comparison.

Aren't any discussions comparing all time greatness between Michalel Jordan and LeBron James grossly premature? On one side of the discussion, we have a legend whose career is already over, so we have final results for what accomplishments he has amassed over a lengthy and legendary career. We know which teams he competed for, and against. We know his final tally of championships, one of the biggest parameters upon which to gauge all time greatness in my opinion. We have his entire statistical results, both regular season and playoffs. Points, assists, etc., as well as #MVP's, all star game appearances, etc.,

On the other side, we have a guy who is probably slightly beyond the mid point of his career. It remains to be seen where he will play out the second half of his career, and with what calibre of teammates. Ultimately, how many championships will he win? How many unsuccessful Finals appearances? Will he continue with the torrid statistical pace, or will his play drop off with advancing age, nagging injuries, etc., There are far too many unanswered questions before we can start calling LeBron James the greatest of all time.

LeBron already has two championship rings. Maybe the Heat pull off a miracle and he wins a third this season, although that currently looks doubtful. But then what? Maybe they keep the Heat together, and they maintain a steady presence in the upper echelon of the league, and LeBron wins a bunch more championships, with him being a pivotal figure in this success. Maybe he goes elsewhere; back to Cleveland, north to Toronto (crosses fingers), or somewhere else, and leads them to championship success. In scenarios like this, discussions of all time greatness have great validity.

But maybe they don't win this year, and the team gets split up. He becomes a free agent, and heads to Charlotte, or somewhere else, and never wins another title. Maybe he loses his focus, and his awesome numbers tail off somewhat. Is it correct to talk of a guy who hangs up his sneakers with only two championships as being the greatest of all time?

Five years ago, I would have insisted that Roger Federer was the greatest male tennis player of all time. Now I would argue that he isn't even the greatest player of his generation. You have to be careful of assuming too much too early. A lot can change with the passage of time.

If I were to guess, James will win more championships and will be a dominant player for the next decade. If so, I may be forced to consider him the greatest player in NBA history. But at this point, until someone unseats him, the greatest ever is still Michael Jordan.

I would also argue that Kobe Bryant is second thing closes to Jordan since Jordan's playing days. I agree with the poster above, I have to see how the second half of LeBron career pans out. Yeah you can argue LeBron has 2 rings before 30. Keep in mind LeBron came straight out of High School into the league, I would say him and MJ took roughly the same amount of time to win their first championship. But I am curious to see how well LeBron plays going forward. Jordan was still averaging 28ppg at the end of his stint with the Bulls at 34-35. Even roughly 20-21ppg past his prime with the Wizards. I want to see if LeBron can play on that same level.

Those were all great centers.
No they weren't.

Lebron James have difficulty against Roy Hibbert
What difficulty? The Heat have beat the Pacers every year.

I even left out the likes of Mchale.
A) He wasn't a center. B) McHale wasn't even close to his prime when Jordan won.

I disagree and say MJ was much better. Stats wise we can say Lebron has a case but the box score doesn't tell the complete story. Rules were different.
No doubt, the physicality of defense is greater today.
Defence and offence philosophy are different. .
Much more complex today. And don't forget about the incredible growth of the international player as well.
But given a choice of either one Jordan is still widely considered the better player by the majority due to him being in more championship teams.
He's considered greater because people let nostalgia get in the way of facts.
Michael Jordan couldn't win the big one by himself.
EXACTLY! The idea that one person wins a championship is asinine.

Basketball,back then was way more aggressive
No, it wasn't.

where as now the slightest hint of contact leads from a flagrant 1 foul.
Bullshit.

Jordan learned to jell with the team that was instilled around him.
Yes, and how fortunate that team included multiple Hall of Fame players/coaches. :rolleyes:

Would LeBron have a ring right now had he not left Cleveland and joined Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh?
Would Jordan have a ring had the Bulls not brought in Scottie Pippen? Is Jordan responsible for the Bulls trading for Scottie Pippen? Is that how great Michael Jordan is?

Your entire premise is beyond stupid. But you know what isn't stupid?

Number of NBA Finals appearances by Jordan without Pippen and Phil Jackson: 0
Number of NBA Finals appearances by LeBron without Wade/Bosh/Spoelstra: 1

LeBron wins.

LeBron can play different positions because look how big he is.
Ahh, so if size decides defensive prowess, then Dwight Howard guards Chris Paul?

Or are you just saying something dumb again?

Two inches in basketball is a lot.
More like 30-50 pounds is a lot.

Jordan could play the 1,2 it's on the floor any given time.
And LeBron can play the 1, 2, 3 or 4 at any given time. Which means he's far more versatile. What's hard about this?

As for that 1995 season - he had just came back in March that year!
So? The Heat had just come together in 2011 and had not found chemistry. But people don't seem to care about context there.

Why the double standard?

But tell me this....when LeBron drives into the lane it is over weak.interior players. LeBron didn't play against Hakeem, Ewing, David Robinson, Mutombo, Mourning, ect. Jordan did.
No, he's just playing against Duncan, Hibbert, Noah, Howard, Chandler, etc. And that's just this year. :rolleyes:

Would you argue LeBron is more clutch than Jordan?
I'd say he's just as clutch.

Where as LeBron passed out of a clear shot in the lane to pass to a player on the wing who missed the shot?
So clutch is determined only by shooting? You sound like someone who knows nothing about basketball.

Being clutch means making the best play at the most important times and LeBron almost always makes the best play at the most important times. By the way, LeBron made roughly the same play in Game 2 against the Spurs and Bosh knocked down the 3pt shot. Kind of like how Jordan passed to Paxson in Game 6.

God, I get tired of stupid arguments.

Also tell me when was the last time a guard was awarded Defensive Player of the year?
Tell me the last time Jordan was the best defensive player on his team. That honor always went to Pippen.

Jordan guarded Hershey Hawkins, not Kevin Durant. Jordan guarded Jeff Hornacek, not Tony Parker. Jordan was guarding John Starks, not Paul George.

Or led a team to over 70+ wins in a season.
When did Jordan lead his team to a 20 game win streak (like LeBron led the Heat to a 27 game streak)?

We can play arbitrary stat game all day long. You won't win.

There is no Michael Jordan, it's no comparison.
Except there is a comparison, and LeBron is every bit as good as Jordan. Take off the nostalgic blinders and you'll see it.

Aren't any discussions comparing all time greatness between Michalel Jordan and LeBron James grossly premature?
Not really, but I'm talking more about how great of a player each person was. LeBron James is every bit as good as Jordan ever was.

But at this point, until someone unseats him, the greatest ever is still Michael Jordan.
Take out his team accomplishment of championships (which is such a stupid argument to use to determine an individuals quality...is Robert Horry better than LeBron also?)...at what can you say Jordan was definitely better?
I would also argue that Kobe Bryant is second thing closes to Jordan since Jordan's playing days.
Then you confirm what I thought about your basketball knowledge.
Jordan was still averaging 28ppg at the end of his stint with the Bulls at 34-35. Even roughly 20-21ppg past his prime with the Wizards. I want to see if LeBron can play on that same level.
They are different players. Why do people not realize this?

LeBron CAN score that many points, but LeBron is about making the best basketball play for his team. Sometimes that means scoring, other times it means facilitating and often it means guarding the other teams best player. Jordan was obviously a phenomenal player, but everyone knew, at the end of the day, he had one job...score. LeBron wears many more hats than Jordan had to.

The NBA is a business, the purpose of a business is to make money and grow the business. The NBA uses it's players to make money. Michael Jordan is responsible for growing the NBA's revenue by far more than Lebron. Throw in Jordan's endorsement ties and it is probably not even close.

The only way Lebron will ever be greater than Jordan is if he turns white.

Slyfox696,

You can retort to calling my logic stupid. But why? I respectfully disagreed with your opinion that LeBron is just as good as Jordan.

Your definition of clutch is quite different than the rest of the world. Jordan will always be remembered for that clutch shot over Byron Russell than that outlet pass to John Paxson.

You cannot compare Heat 2011 season to Jordan's 1995 season...well I guess you could since you're really reaching for logic. Jordan returned to basketball one month before the playoffs after TWO years and you want to talk about team chemistry? Lmao. So the Bulls were supposed to instantly click. I thought the Thunder played their best basketball of the season without Westbrook and when he came back I don't feel the team was on the same level. That was just a short period of time Westbrook was out compared to two years Jordan was out.

Outside of Pippen who were all these hall of famers Jordan played with? So you're telling me you knew Pippen coming to the Bulls was going to go down as arguably one of the best forwards to play the game? Calbert Cheaney was looked at as the next best thing coming out of Indiana and look how mediocre he ultimately turned out to be. You have no way of knowing. Bosh was already the star of the Raptors and Wade the star of the Heat when LeBron joined forces with them.

But tell me who the hall of famers were? Because you definitely knew when Phil Jackson replaced Doug Collins that 23 years later he would have enough rings for every finger? Just off top of my head...John Paxson, Steve Kerr, BJ Armstrong, Luc Longley, Toni Kukoc, Horace Grant, Bill Wennington, Bill Cartright, Will Perdue, Ron Harper, ect, ect, ect are hall of famers?

Basketball wasn't aggressive back then? So Detroit got their nickname from showing good sportsmanship on the court?

The whole point of me pointing out that Jordan won defensive player of the year award is because it's a rare feature for a Guard. Even with Pippen becoming a Bull that didn't change the fact that Jordan was still extremely good on the defensive side of the ball and was a regular all first team defensive player.

The Jordan comparison gets old. LeBron doesn't have the mental toughness or the killer instinct like Jordan did. Now growing I used to enjoy seeing Kareem dominate with that sky hook and I don't think there has been a center since on his level, especially from a longevity standpoint.

At end of day championship reigns are superior to individual accomplishments to a large degree. Everyone will argue first about Jordan having 6 rings then name off his long list of accomplishments. But looking at John Stockton, Karl Malone, Reggie Miller, Allen Iverson and Charles Barkley they are arguably the best at their respective positions but will always go down as great players to never win a ring.

There really won't be another Jordan. Especially from a marketing standpoint, he took the NBA to another level before there was social media. The thing about Jordan that separates him from so many is his competitiveness nature. Even now when I am able to catch a peak of him at a Bobcats/Hornets practice he still shows his competitiveness in those 10-15 minutes.(ask OJ Mayo and Raymond Felton).

Grant Hill, Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter and LeBron James have all been dubbed the next Jordan.

So why am I wrong for praising Kobe as second closes to thing to Jordan since his playing days? I'm not even a Kobe fan but I will give him the credit he deserves. I admire him most for sticking with his team even through frustrating times and especially when he has had opportunity to go elsewhere...unlike, LeBron of course.

I do admire LeBron. He's the most complete player in the league today. I will agree that chemistry means a lot which is why the Spurs easily dismantled them. I argued with people that Durant won his MVP because he played better ball during a stretch with Reggie Jackson running the point while Westbrook was hurt and I felt the team chemistry was much better. They were winning, Durant played at a high level and Ibaka showed a great offensive side to his game. This series with the Spurs; LeBron looked like Jordan did against the Pistons in the early 90s.

Let me run down some random thoughts I had while reading this thread: there are normally two sides to the Jordan vs. Lebron debate; 1. Jordan is better than anyone ever was, and I refuse to believe any other argument. 2. Is the open-minded person who at least says it's worth discussing.

Judging things by championships won, NBA Finals record, etc. Is about the dumbest argument we can make. If we go by that logic, Brian Scalabrine is a better player than Charles Barkley.

Today, people look at Jordan and think he was flawless. And, it makes sense. He is the most iconic figure the NBA really ever had, and I don't think you can really argue that too much. Culturally, he took the NBA to a different level. But, that has no impact in who was better.

Lebron on Jordan are different players. They each served different roles for their teams. So, when you look at this argument, it's hard to really say who is better when there's so many different aspects you could look at to defend either of them. Obviously, there are certain things Jordan is better at than Lebron, and there are things Lebron is better at than Jordan. Pure shooting, Jordan was better. However, Lebron has been steadily improving his jump-shooting game, so we'll see how much better he gets in that area. Lebron, overall, is a better defender. Some people may argue that, but defense was really an overrated aspect of Jordan's game. Pippen carried the Bulls defense. Lebron is also more versitile. As sly said, he can guard the 1, 2, 3, or 4 on an opposing team, and sometimes even the five, whereas Jordan never did that on a consistent basis. Then you have "clutch". For me, this is really something that's difficult to judge. Theres no statistic you can look at to measure it, so it's difficult. I'd honestly just rule it a tie in this area, because it's a tough judge. Oh, and Lebron is a better passer, since I didn't mention that.

There was something that JJ said that I agreed with, and that was that Kobe is the closest thing to Jordan. Not saying that Kobe is as good as Jordan or Lebron, but from a skill set standpoint, Kobe excels at the same thingthat Jordan excelled at. (Post moves, fadeaway, footwork, etc.) All are comparable with Jordan and Kobe, and were both of their main assets.

The main thing I would say when you compare Jordan and Lebron is just to keep an open mind on both sides, because you can really make a fair argument for either.

Let me run down some random thoughts I had while reading this thread: there are normally two sides to the Jordan vs. Lebron debate; 1. Jordan is better than anyone ever was, and I refuse to believe any other argument. 2. Is the open-minded person who at least says it's worth discussing.

Judging things by championships won, NBA Finals record, etc. Is about the dumbest argument we can make. If we go by that logic, Brian Scalabrine is a better player than Charles Barkley.

Today, people look at Jordan and think he was flawless. And, it makes sense. He is the most iconic figure the NBA really ever had, and I don't think you can really argue that too much. Culturally, he took the NBA to a different level. But, that has no impact in who was better.

Lebron on Jordan are different players. They each served different roles for their teams. So, when you look at this argument, it's hard to really say who is better when there's so many different aspects you could look at to defend either of them. Obviously, there are certain things Jordan is better at than Lebron, and there are things Lebron is better at than Jordan. Pure shooting, Jordan was better. However, Lebron has been steadily improving his jump-shooting game, so we'll see how much better he gets in that area. Lebron, overall, is a better defender. Some people may argue that, but defense was really an overrated aspect of Jordan's game. Pippen carried the Bulls defense. Lebron is also more versitile. As sly said, he can guard the 1, 2, 3, or 4 on an opposing team, and sometimes even the five, whereas Jordan never did that on a consistent basis. Then you have "clutch". For me, this is really something that's difficult to judge. Theres no statistic you can look at to measure it, so it's difficult. I'd honestly just rule it a tie in this area, because it's a tough judge. Oh, and Lebron is a better passer, since I didn't mention that.

There was something that JJ said that I agreed with, and that was that Kobe is the closest thing to Jordan. Not saying that Kobe is as good as Jordan or Lebron, but from a skill set standpoint, Kobe excels at the same thingthat Jordan excelled at. (Post moves, fadeaway, footwork, etc.) All are comparable with Jordan and Kobe, and were both of their main assets.

The main thing I would say when you compare Jordan and Lebron is just to keep an open mind on both sides, because you can really make a fair argument for either.
Agree with most of your points. I came into this thread defending Lebron but the fanboying and baiting by Slyfox turned me into a Lebron basher in this thread just because I believe Jordan was the better player.

Slyfox696,

You can retort to calling my logic stupid. But why?
Because your logic is stupid. That's not a personal shot, just an evaluation of your evidence.

Your definition of clutch is quite different than the rest of the world.
No, it isn't. My definition of clutch is quite consistent with anyone whose knowledge of basketball is worth listening to. A bunch of city league ballplayers don't qualify.

Being clutch, to any reputable coach or sports psychologist, means optimizing your focus during crunch time, and being able to maximize your efficiency. In basketball terms, it means making the best basketball play, regardless of the circumstances. It has nothing to do with making one shot.

I'll give you an example. Everyone remembers Jordan's shot in the NCAA championship game as a freshman. Sure, that's clutch. But what people DON'T remember is that on the next possession, the Georgetown player passed it directly to a Tar Heel. Why? Because the situation was so full of pressure, his focus narrowed so tightly he was unable to process all the stimuli on the floor necessary to make the best decision. In this case, he did not comprehend the team he was passing to. Here's a video of it (start at 1 hour and 15 minutes):

The Georgetown player was so overcome by the moment, he passed to a man who clearly was not on his team. Being clutch means being able to process all the stimuli necessary to make the best play.

LeBron does that.

You cannot compare Heat 2011 season to Jordan's 1995 season...well I guess you could since you're really reaching for logic. Jordan returned to basketball one month before the playoffs after TWO years and you want to talk about team chemistry?
So...what you're saying is different circumstances play upon the ability to be successful?
So the Bulls were supposed to instantly click.
So three players who were used to being the center of attention were supposed to instantly click, especially with little to no supporting cast?

It's amazing how people can excuse things for Jordan for which they crucify LeBron.

That was just a short period of time Westbrook was out compared to two years Jordan was out.
Yes, circumstances affect chemistry which affects success. That's my point.

I'm not criticizing Jordan for not winning, I'm pointing out how silly it is for people to criticize LeBron for not.

Outside of Pippen who were all these hall of famers Jordan played with?
Dennis Rodman deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. His rebounding was second to none and his defense was greatly underrated. He won't get in the Hall of Fame because he didn't score and he acts the way he does, but Rodman was an all-time NBA great. And don't forget Phil Jackson.

So you're telling me you knew Pippen coming to the Bulls was going to go down as arguably one of the best forwards to play the game?
What does that have to do with anything? My point was criticizing LeBron for having to go someplace where he could play with good players because Jordan had them handed to him is stupid.

But tell me who the hall of famers were? Because you definitely knew when Phil Jackson replaced Doug Collins that 23 years later he would have enough rings for every finger? Just off top of my head...John Paxson, Steve Kerr, BJ Armstrong, Luc Longley, Toni Kukoc, Horace Grant, Bill Wennington, Bill Cartright, Will Perdue, Ron Harper, ect, ect, ect are hall of famers?
See, this is why I'm calling your logic stupid. You don't even bother to understand what is being said before you go off making obviously stupid statements.

Basketball wasn't aggressive back then?
No more in the 90s when Jordan won than it is today. Saying otherwise is just nonsense.
So Detroit got their nickname from showing good sportsmanship on the court?
I'm sorry, was Detroit worth a damn when Jordan won his titles?

The whole point of me pointing out that Jordan won defensive player of the year award is because it's a rare feature for a Guard.
Except that it wasn't when Jordan won it. Jordan won it in 1988. Before Jordan, 4 of the 5 winners were guards. Jordan made it 5 guards out of 6.

Furthermore, Jordan never won Defensive Player of the Year during his run of championships. You're making the classic mistake of taking the absolute best of every part of Jordan's career, instead of focusing on the one or two years you think he was best.

Even with Pippen becoming a Bull that didn't change the fact that Jordan was still extremely good on the defensive side of the ball and was a regular all first team defensive player.
And LeBron is regularly regarded as one of the best defenders in the league, plus one of the most versatile. LeBron wins this easily.

The Jordan comparison gets old. LeBron doesn't have the mental toughness or the killer instinct like Jordan did.
What a load of garbage. What you really mean to say is that LeBron wasn't an asshole like Jordan. But not being an asshole doesn't mean LeBron doesn't want to win.

This "killer instinct" argument is stupid and nothing more than a last resort for LeBron haters and/or Jordan lovers to use when actual facts fail.

At end of day championship reigns are superior to individual accomplishments to a large degree.
Not when deciding who was a better player. Championships are a team accomplishment. Even the man you hail as the greatest ever couldn't win a title until Scottie and Phil got there.

There really won't be another Jordan.
I totally agree. And there will never be another LeBron.

But what we're talking about is the quality of the two players and LeBron James is every bit as good now as Michael ever was.

So why am I wrong for praising Kobe as second closes to thing to Jordan since his playing days?
Because LeBron is better than Kobe. That's not hard to understand.

I'm not even a Kobe fan but I will give him the credit he deserves. I admire him most for sticking with his team even through frustrating times and especially when he has had opportunity to go elsewhere...unlike, LeBron of course.
He's also playing for a franchise which has shown itself to be capable of putting talent on the floor..."unlike, LeBron of course".

At the end of the day, I'll pose you two questions.

1) Do you honestly think if you remove LeBron's production in this series (which was phenomenal, look it up) with Michael Jordan, do you think it would have made any difference?

2) And since I think we both know the answer to #1 is "no", then I'll ask...once we establish that team championships are not a good indication of individual quality, can you give me any cold hard objective facts to show me Jordan was definitively better than LeBron? I don't want ambiguous "killer instinct" comments, I want facts. Don't get me wrong, I understand intangibles are important, but LeBron has all the intangibles as well. I want definitive proof of what Jordan was better at than LeBron.
Agree with most of your points. I came into this thread defending Lebron but the fanboying and baiting by Slyfox turned me into a Lebron basher in this thread just because I believe Jordan was the better player.
You're trying to tell me Mourning and Mutumbo were elite centers in order to defend Jordan and you call me a fanboy/baiter? Unreal.

Look, I understand you don't understand basketball history very well. You've admitted that. Let's do this:

Take away championships (which is an asinine measure of an individual's quality). What can you objectively say Jordan was better at than LeBron. I'll grant you PPG. What else do you have? In fact, I believe you said before the reason you think Jordan was better was because big men were better. Ignoring for a moment that doesn't really make sense (while I understand what you're saying, it's still harkening to the championship argument), the fact is big men WEREN'T dominant in the game when Jordan played. That was just a false statement.

So what was Jordan better at than LeBron, aside from PPG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back