Does it matter how believable storylines are?

ad21k

Pre-Show Stalwart
I often see posts criticising the realism of storylines in the WWE, but do you believe it actually matters? The majority of wrestling fans know it is not real, so why should it matter if storylines are farfetched or if wrestlers conform to normal responses to given situations?

Surely what is the most important thing is that storylines are interesting, have an element of surprise and suspense, and ultimately get people watching the product.

Very intriguing thread. I think, in a certain manner, it does. I mean, alot of ppl are criticizing HBK's current storyline with JBL, stating that it is absurd for the WWE to try to make us believe that the HBK, one of the most successful wrestlers of all time, has fallen on hard financial times. Yet these same people can absolutely adore all of Undertaker's soul-taking storylines, despite 'Taker/his storylines being some of the most unrealistic things in the WWE (yet also some of the most successful). So, its very intriguing, and to anaswer your question, I think it all depends on the fan's liking of the storyline or not-if they like it, theyll go along with it and see how it plays out- if not, theyll often dismiss it as unrealisitc and not worth watching. So, in closing, I think its more of a personal thing than anything else.

The Storylines are what get people to tune in. Some of them do watch for the wrestling but the majority of people watch to see what happens with any given Storyline from week to week. Yeah we all know it's fake but that doesn't keep us from getting sucked in if a storyline is good enough and watching again next week to see how it progresses.

So in short the answer to your question is yes it does matter.

Do story lines in t.v. shows and movies matter? Yes. This is what it is, entertainment. If it's "sold" as real then it better have realistic qualities.

I seen Jack Swagger lose to Matt Hardy in Hershey at a house show December 26th, yet he's been sold as undefeated until just recently. I mean, I know house shows don't mean crap, but that's garbage. There's absolutely NO realism right now, which is the problem. I don't want to sound mad about it, because i'm not. I just think it's stupid.

Yes it does. If the WWE is World Wrestling Entertainment than they need two things,
Wrestling and Entertainment. A great storyline keeps people watching. For a great storyline you need good promos, creative great feud but most imporant is it has to be believable. The reason why the JBL and HBK is working cause it is believable. HBK could be bankrupt right now. You never know I mean other wrestlers have fallen lost there money and have hit hard times now with the bad econmy it is a way better storyline because of it. So, in conclusion yes you need believable storylines to better the company.

Storylines have to be believable. That is an easy answer. Hornswoggle being a leprechaun? Not believable. Hornswoggle being Vince's son? Not believable. Him being Finlay's son? Not believable.

The WWE used to have an era, that we all seem to praise, although it was filled with ridiculous storylines. Kane seems like he is a man from hell. That isn't beleivable, but his character made it so. Make the same storyline now, something like the Boogeyman, and you get bored because of it.

My thought is that it was once believable, but in a world where there is the internet, a time when people question TV more, a time when we get to see Wrestlers outside of the ring, breaking keyfabe. A time where Chris Benoit can kill his family and we get to see some of the dark side of wrestling. Then we as fans deman more realist storylines.

It depends. There are some storylines that go so far with being ridiculous that they're entertaining. Look at the Undertaker and Kane for example from the late 90s. That was one of the most ridiculous things ever put on WWF television but it was awesome. It was awesome because the buildup was perfect to it and everything just clicked. Then you have storylines like an Austin one with Vince. That was far more realistic. A rebel fights against the authority figure that he can't get along with. That's human nature. Over the top storylines can work, but right now they're out of style. If you had a truly good idea for one that you let build up over time, it could work. that's what made the Kane angle work. For months and months we heard little things about Kane. Never any bombshell all at once, but just whispers about him. After 2 months of this, while we knew absolutely nothing concrete about him, we were familiar with him. After another month or so, we wanted to see him. Another month passes and it's time for HIAC, and there he is. Kane was awesome because the build up for his character was awesome. The storyline was nuts but because it was built up perfectly we all got into it.

A bad storyline is something you can just see right through. Its not entertaining because it insults your intelligence. Are we REALLY supposed to believe that Hornswoggle isn't an act? Come on. Its absolutely ridiculous. So when you've got this midget leprechaun who can't speak and is the supposed son of the owner of the company, and he's using water guns that are making 400 lb guys lose matches.....its just flat out stupid.

WWE fans are willing to suspend their disbelief to a certain extent, but they push it too far at times. The whole "we met and now we want to get married but oh no, the person I'm feuding with just ruined the public wedding in the ring!" thing is overdone SO much, but one of the reasons that the Edge/Vickie storyline works right now is because its something that COULD happen. You've got a charismatic and intelligent champion like Edge who is totally manipulating this ugly woman with power into using her for his own benefit - and its working to his advantage. They've had it built up for a long enough time that it will be great when it eventually capsizes because the most logical ending is the one that would happen in real life...when she isn't the GM anymore and no longer has the power, Edge has nothing to gain from her, so he'll drop her like a sack of bricks. That stuff actually happens in real life (unfortunately), so its believable.

People giving birth to an adult male's hand? Ridiculous. Bombed. Joked about years later because of how stupid it was.

Jeff Hardy being attacked several times (minus the car one) by a jealous brother? Its working fine because its believable and the performers involved aren't garbage. The storyline would probably bomb no matter what the believability if it was centered around Ricky Ortiz or Deuce.

Any time they have some unbelievable storyline, it takes me immediately out of the mood to suspend my disbelief. Watching Mysterio beat Kane, Mark Henry, Big Show, and other huge guys by simply kicking them in the legs a few times sucks me right out of the kayfabe trance in the same relation to watching a movie and out of the blue you start seeing boom mics and the camera crew in the background of the scene.

Well I think that depends on the wrestlers and gimmicks involved. I mean if Steve austin had a brother who was supposed to have died in a fire but is still alive would it have been successful? god no. But with the undertaker it worked perfectly because it matched his gimmick. Lets look at the hornswoglle illigitemate son angle. It was extremly unrealistic and had no purpose. But what if mr.kennedy had not been suspended and was found out to be the illigitemate son? It would be far more believable and would make sense because of the name kennedy.

Well I think we've seen many times over (particularly with guys like Undertaker and Kane) that over-the-top storylines even with supernatural elements can work and work well. Sometimes they stretch them too far and it gets a little ridiculous, but for a while it can be entertaining and successful.

But for my money, the best storylines are the ones where it seems like the guys really hate each other and it's based around that. The Jericho/Michaels feud from last year is a good example. It incorporated jealousy, injuries, gimmick matches, and even Michaels' family. The heat between them seemed legitimate and it just got more and more personal. The matches being great also helped to further it, as that's another huge part of a good storyline working. I also think the Edge/Taker feud was great for the same reasons (though the "sending Edge to hell" thing from HIAC was a supernatural element).

So all in all, if you can sell a good storyline, have real tension between the wrestlers, and have great matches then I believe almost anything should be able to work, but my favorites are the ones that are more of a personal vendetta.

I think realism does matter, but to an extent. It also depends on who's involved in the storyline. Creative can't go out and make a storyline where ridiculous things happen because the true fans (ones who don't read spoilers) wouldn't believe it. However, since most fans do know that wrestling is scripted, realism doesn't matter. Fans who know what's going on, know that every storyline isn't "real." Realism helps make storylines more believable, but overall, it doesn't matter as much as it seems.

Good thread. Well, as PlayTheGame said, i think it comes down to personal feelings about a storyline. Some of the best storylines have been really absurd and unbeleivable. Take Edge getting sent to 'Hell' by the Undertaker last year, everyone was eating that story up and it was a good storyline, yet was it believable, HELL NO!

Really if someone likes the storyline they will get into it and almost believe in it (in a fantasy way) but if someone doesnt like the storyline and it isnt really believable, it's the first thing to be criticised.

These days, more than ever before, stories must be based on reality. Given that most characters in the company worth a lick are quite human, their problems have to be humanized. The thing that wrestling provides the fan is a settlement to disputes inside a squared circle. These men and women seemingly have the same issues we do, but can fight it out in the end and hopefully entertain us along the way. It's great to bring up old storylines in this thread like Undertaker/Kane, and McMahon vs. Austin, but that was a different time. Today, in 2009, everything done is a lot more on the real side. When referring to the Undertaker/Edge rivalry, what made it click was the Vickie Guerrero aspect. Fans enjoyed Undertaker's new submission move and she took it away, she even stripped him of the title for using it. The fact that the man has an overdone, non-human gimmick was forgotten for the time being because it was man against boss in essence and the story of being controlled and fighting back against that. To be honest, what ruined it was the end where Edge was "sent to hell". A simple fix, just have the Taker chokeslam or Tombstone him for a high altitude while Vickie watches in horror, thus he can sell his injuries off screen but it's less dumb than "sent to hell".

Let's examine a few of the current feuds to further my point. To start, what made the Jericho/Michaels feud work so well was that Jericho's heel turn didn't come until about 2 months in. He sold it perfectly, and just when you thought it wasn't going to happen, there went HBK's head through the Jeritron. Now take the current Hardy storyline. Things are happening to Jeff and Matt is always first out to help him. Then at the rumble, he turns on him and hits him with a chair and says they aren't brothers anymore on the following smackdown. GET REAL! I don't want to get into the semantics of this being a backup plan, but you can't go to extremes so fast. Matt has nowhere to go with his promos. This feud is failing from the get-go where it could have had potential perhaps if built properly. The problem is, these are two REAL brothers that us fans recognize. Two brothers that for years the WWE marketed as close brothers, ones that actually like each other. For that reason, you can't have one turn on the other out of nowhere and disown him. There has to be buildup. Perhaps when the fireworks accident happens, you see Matt come out but just stare at his brother blankly. Not mad, not upset, but not happy either. This way you are unsure of his emotions regarding his brother's accident. Then on the cutting edge, Matt addresses it all but is very vague in answers and tries to pass blame on to Edge (which is what happens) but in a subtle way, a good ear could tell he is covering something. If all of that happened and THEN he turned on his brother, it would make more sense. Then Matt would have to cut a promo much better than the one he did saying that he has tried to be a good brother, tried to be supportive, but it's hard to be the "good" one all the time, it's hard to be the responsible one while you get all the glory. It's not fair to anyone that you are reigning surpreme when you can't keep your life together without me (Matt). Then Matt could say "you're on your own Jeff, no more life help from me", and thus the Hardy Boyz split. Then, as time goes by, you further it by making it real, Jeff being the younger, but more talented brother and Matt as the responsible, do the right thing brother who is jealous because he should have more success for doing things the "right" way. I know this would work because my family is like that. I am the older brother who worked his butt off athletically while my younger sister was blessed with a golden right arm but coasted through her athletic career. At times I was jealous of her g-d given ability, but unlike my life, the WWE can settle differences in the ring and away we go.

Take the big story on Raw now (other than Legacy). HBK is down on his luck and takes a deal with the devil so to speak. For those who cry "how can this happen? he's one of the best?", I suggest you read some WWE autobiographies and find out what kind of money these guys make. Even the biggest stars make a couple of million dollars per year, but the WWE does NOT pay for travel expenses and the like. It is an expensive business to be in, and many guys are too frivolous, INCLUDING HBK, who WAS the character he is playing in the late 90s. He was the commissioner of the WWE because he needed money. He couldn't wrestle and should have been taking time to kick his addiction to pills, but he needed money and kept coming back, despite efforts by friends Kevin Nash and Triple H (it's in his book, I'm not making it up). Yes, now these days he is a born-again and SHOULD BE more responsible financially, but we all know it is a recession and people are struggling with money, so it's not crazy to think someone in the WWE could be. And yes, it had to be HBK because it had to be a face who would work for a heel and it had to be a guy who is an established yet fading superstar. It is perfectly believable and performed well by two veterans. Also, note that Shawn has been working for JBL for a couple of months with people expecting him to "turn on JBL" and give up the money, but the WWE actually did this right and didn't make Shawn into a moron with too much pride. He did what he had to do despite not liking it because you have to get paid. How many of us go to our jobs every day when we dont' want to because we have peopel to support? Believability my friends, that's what gets the story over. We may be unhappy because we expect one thing, but in the long run, the best stories take a lot of time to develop, are real, and worth the time.

Yes it does. A thing to a good feud depends on the storyline 99.9% of the time. For example look at the HBK and JBL storyline. Does anyone actually believe that HBK could be broke? I bet little 1 year olds know it's fake. Seriously the guy has mainevented WrestleMania several times and he is suddenly bankrupted? He gives large amounts of money to the not so fortunette people in Africa. Seriously how can he be broke? Another bad storyline was the Kane and Katie Vick "incident". Do I need to say anymore about that horrible storyline. Now you look at Matt Hardy and Edge and the feud they have. They had an amazing feud because it actually made sense. Lita and Edge have an affair Matt finds out and then they have an amazing feud.

So the answer is yes. You do have to have a good storyline to further the feud.

Realism does matter nowadays. While certain storylines just aren't believable, such as the Shawn Michaels/JBL storyline, they are at least realistic. The hardcore wrestling fans that grew up with Shawn Michaels know that there is no way in hell he is broke after being such a huge star throughout his entire career. But if a casual wrestling fan or a returning wrestling fan that doesn't know about Shawn Michaels tuned in, he or she would find the storyline believable. Afterall, it was based on The Wrestler which was a great movie. It isn't too hard to believe that Shawn would be broke especially with the economic recession. It's just not believable for regular wrestling fans because we all know about Shawn's success in the company.

Times have greatly changed. Supernatural storylines just won't work these days. The only reason The Undertaker's character works today is because of his veteran status. If Undertaker hadn't been around for the last 18 years and just debuted last year, I guarantee that his gimmick wouldn't have gotten as over as it is today. He probably would have been similar to what the Boogieman is today. One of the reasons his feud with Edge was great was because Vickie and Edge were able to keep the promos from getting ridiculous (ie. keeping them human).

Even Kane has been modernized from a supernatural satanic character to a mentally unstable psychopath. His monster gimmick worked well back in the late 90's/early 2000's was because of all the mystery behind his character. The gradual humanization may have made him look weaker but it kept his character from getting stale. Remember that Imposter Kane storyline? It was just far too unbelievable. Unmasking Kane was one of the best decisions ever. He played the unstable psychopath character well, it's just that Creative really dropped the ball with his character.

While Shawn Michaels/jerhico fued is probably the best ive seen in a while, im getting kind of tired of the ' I dont like so we are going to fight' feuds. Cena's angry promos have basically killed them for me. I guess it just takes the right people to pull it off. I have no problem suspeneding my belief of reality if its done right.
If they had kept the zombie around, I would have been all for it. He could have turned others into zombies, had a whole zombie army full of jobbers, it could have been awesome. Same with the vampire deal they were wanting to do. I guess I can go along with the whole unrealistic storyline because I played in some efeds with really strange and interesting storylines, and it would be cool to see them played out on tv by actual wrestlers (though they would probably mess it up). Really, it just takes time to develope the weird unrealistic storylines, and I dont think the wwe can pull it off since the people who control it have A.D.D. and would want to jump to something else.

I enjoy Kaiju Big Battel, and thats about as unrealistic as it gets.

no story lines do not need to be belivable all of the time because if it did then the undertaker would not get over as well as he does. They don't even need to make sense all the time they just need to be entertaining all the time. Is it belivable that Shawn Micheals would in debt because bad investments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back