Does Florian deserve the title shot?

Uncle Chester

I see you, and your penis.
This thread isn't here to discuss what's best business-wise for the UFC but to discuss whether Kenny Florian deserves the shot over guys like Mendes.

I personally don't think so, Mendes has beaten better fighters and has beaten them more impressively so far at featherweight. And Mendes is also undefeated with an excellent wrestling base which offers an intriguing match-up with Aldo.

So do you think Florian deserve's the shot considering other contenders in the division?

Not a chance in hell, no disrespect to Kenflo but I am so sick of seeing him hog contender spots and snagging title shots where other guys who have never got one or from guys who deserve one more. He's had two lightweight title shots, everytime he gets knocked off at the top he works his way back up, or he switches weightclasses. I respect the guy as a fighter but he has been boring me to death and his want to see him beaten to a pulp soon, everytime Nunes caught Kenflo on saturday I was a second away from jumping out of my seat for joy. Shoot, even awesome Vancouver fans were frickin hating on him, it put a smile on my face :) But he definitely does not deserve it and if he gets bumped to the front of the line because he's been around a long time and he's buds with Dana I will come close to crying :banghead:

Does he? Probably not when you look at it. Mendes deserves it, but he whined about having to wait an extra month to get the shot and is now fighting again. Outside of Mendes, there isn't anybody else besides Kenny. Like him or not, Kenny brings a fairly large name to the table and will actually present somewhat of a challenge for Aldo while the FW division is lacking high level fighters. Kenny deserves the shot more than anybody outside of Mendes, and he will get his shot. I personally dislike the guy, but there's nobody else.

I don't really agree with Florian getting a title shot so soon, but as Fizzy pointed out, he is the only guy with any real claim at a title shot right now since Mendes took another fight. Obviously Mendes is the man more worthy of a title shot, but he didn't want to wait for it and took another fight. Since he is busy for the time being, Florian is a guy who has title fight experience, a win over a quality opponent, and will be available for a fight with Aldo. I'd much rather watch Mendes fight Aldo, but if Florian vs. Aldo means I get to see Jose in action sooner rather then later, well I am all for it.

I'm not a Kenny Florian fan, nor have I kept that little fact a secrete, so hopefully my opinion here doesn't come across as biased...

But no, absolutely not.

Kenny barely won 2 Rounds against a barely top 10 contender in his first fight in the division, coming off a loss in the division he was in before. Now, had Kenflo come into the FW Division with a win streak in the Lightweight Division over some impressive names, then yeah... I wouldn't mind him getting a title shot at this point. But that's not the case, is it?

Personally, I believe Hatsu Hioki deserves the Nick Diaz treatment and get the FW Title shot as soon as he signs on the dotted line with the UFC. However, if he doesn't sign... then Chad Mendes is the #1 contender, bottom line. Chad Mendes is undefeated, coming off a win where he completely dominated Michihiro Omigawa, who was a top 5 Featherweight at the time. He deserves the shot more than anyone CURRENTLY in the UFC. That said, if Hioki signs with the company, I really really REALLY hope he gets the next crack at Jose Aldo.

Kenny Florian doesn't deserve a title shot because this guy is a fucking choke artist. Every now and again he gets on this win streak and then is hyped up for the title, to only fucking blow it. I think Ken Flo is a joke, he couldn't even beat Penn, though a good fighter, I think Aldo is better and would demolish him, he needs several fights and a stronger training regimen.

I think Ken Flo is a joke, he couldn't even beat Penn, though a good fighter

What a foolish ass statement. Ken Flo is a joke because he couldn't beat fucking BJ Penn? You talk as if Penn is some sort of scrub ass fighter. BJ Penn is one of the best fighters this sport has ever seen, and losing to him is NOTHING to be ashamed of. He's the greatest Lightweight in the history of the sport. Kenny is not a joke by any means of the word. Sure, he loses when it matters, but he is constantly at the top of the food chain at LW which is a great accomplishment. There's no way you can justify what you said. He couldn't even beat Penn, my lord...

What a foolish ass statement. Ken Flo is a joke because he couldn't beat fucking BJ Penn? You talk as if Penn is some sort of scrub ass fighter. BJ Penn is one of the best fighters this sport has ever seen, and losing to him is NOTHING to be ashamed of. He's the greatest Lightweight in the history of the sport. Kenny is not a joke by any means of the word. Sure, he loses when it matters, but he is constantly at the top of the food chain at LW which is a great accomplishment. There's no way you can justify what you said. He couldn't even beat Penn, my lord...

BJ Penn is overrated as fuck, dude I get that his BJJ is sick and that he is decent at LW, but there is barely any talent in the LW division. Frankie Edgar a guy nobody ever fucking heard of, beat Penn, twice, are you kidding me? He goes in and gets his ass murdered by GSP, I mean murdered, and this guy is great? Give me a break. Penn will never win another belt in the UFC, overrated. He can't even fight the best, and don't give me any shit about Hughes, Hughes is way past his prime.

BJ Penn is overrated as fuck, dude I get that his BJJ is sick and that he is decent at LW, but there is barely any talent in the LW division. Frankie Edgar a guy nobody ever fucking heard of, beat Penn, twice, are you kidding me? He goes in and gets his ass murdered by GSP, I mean murdered, and this guy is great? Give me a break. Penn will never win another belt in the UFC, overrated. He can't even fight the best, and don't give me any shit about Hughes, Hughes is way past his prime.

BJ Penn is up there with Gomi as the greatest Lightweight in MMA history, and the man is STILL a great fighter.

The Edgar fights... first of all, one could argue that Penn won the first fight against Edgar (Fight Metric scored the fight in favor of BJ), and in the 2nd fight BJ simply had one of the worst game plans I've ever seen someone carry out in MMA. He looked horrendous. That was not the same BJ Penn MMA fans have come to love and admire.

What really baffles me about your Edgar statement though is that you act like Edgar is some bum. Listen, I believe there are a couple of Lightweights who can beat Edgar, and I do think with the right game plan that BJ could defeat him as well; however, Edgar is still one of the best, most talented Lightweights in the World. There is absolutely NO SHAME in losing to that man.

Now, your GSP statement is just ridiculous You consider somebody taking a person down and laying on them for 4 rounds a murder? Seriously? Not to mention throughout that fight GSP was greasier than John Travolta's hair in Grease, therefore neglecting BJ's submission attempts.

Besides, just like with Edgar... there is no shame to losing to GSP. GSP is 22-2 and considered by many as the best Pound for Pound fighter in the World. Every welterweight at this point who has stepped in the octagon with GSP has walked out a loser. Yes, even those two losses GSP has (which were both flukes), GSP avenged.

Let's now get to BJ Penn.

BJ's record is 16-7-2. While that doesn't look to impressive, when you look at his quality of opponents, the guy has only fought one can in his entire career. That's unheard of. Not to mention he's fought from Lightweights all the way to Light Heavyweight, giving Lyoto Machida the hardest fight in his career up until he met Shogun.

Whenever BJ has fought at Lightweight, he has dominated, with the exception of his last meeting with Edgar. He also has an impressive resume at Welterweight as well. In fact, in case you don't know, he's only one of three men throughout the history of the sport to win two belts in two different weight classes.

BJ's boxing and BJJ skills are some of the best in the entire sport, and his wrestling is pretty damn good, too. When it comes to all around skill, there are only a couple of names who come close to comparing to BJ.

And you take credit away from the Hughes win... fine. But what about BJ's fight against Jon Fitch? Listen, I cannot stand Jon Fitch, but there's no denying that Fitch has been a top 5 Welterweight in MMA for the past 4 years, and BJ fought him to a draw, in a fight that I (and Dana White also) felt that BJ won. How can you discredit that? Fitch was the #2 ranked Welterweight in the World at that time and BJ gave him his hardest fight in the last 7 years outside of GSP. Yet, BJ is an overrated piece of shit? That hardly makes any sense.

BJ Penn might not win another title in the UFC, but I can tell you with complete certainty that he's still one of the most talented fighters walking on the face of the Earth, and anybody with any fight knowledge would agree with that.

BJ Penn is overrated as fuck, dude I get that his BJJ is sick and that he is decent at LW, but there is barely any talent in the LW division.

This is where you lose what little credibility you ever had. Considering LW is the most stacked division in the UFC, and Penn has always fought very good competition.

Frankie Edgar a guy nobody ever fucking heard of, beat Penn, twice, are you kidding me?

I take it you are brand new to MMA if you think nobody had ever heard of Frankie Edgar. He may have not been a big name, but he was always a solid fighter with tons of heart. You're ignorant to say otherwise.

He goes in and gets his ass murdered by GSP, I mean murdered, and this guy is great?

Who's face was bloodied up after the fight? Bj was far from murdered in both of those fights. Soundly beaten? Yes, but far from murdered. Plus, what's so wrong about getting beaten by GSP? Many consider him the best fighter in the world and he was much larger than BJ. I don't see where you're going with this...

Give me a break. Penn will never win another belt in the UFC, overrated. He can't even fight the best, and don't give me any shit about Hughes, Hughes is way past his prime.

Many fighters will never win another belt in the UFC. Chuck Liddell will never win another belt, but does this mean he wasn't great? Suddenly you're overrated because you most likely won't win another title. Shut the fuck up. Also, ever heard of Fitch? The guy who has been the number two WW in the world for many years? Yea, he's also the guy who just went to a draw with BJ and got dominated for the first round of that fight. Again, shut the fuck up.

I am a big Kenflo fan. With that being said. No. He does not deserve a shot at Aldo the moment. Only two people in my mind deserve that shot. Mendes, and Hioki. More preferably, the latter of the two. I do think that Kenflo does deserve a high profile fight at 145. I would book him against the winner of Yahya-Mendes, or the winner Tyson vs Manny. To see where he stands in the FW division. I just don't like the idea of dropping or going up in weight classes and getting a immediate shot. Don't get me wrong. The thought of a Florian-Aldo fight is awesome to me, as both are warriors and I very much enjoy watching both, but I think that Kenny needs to prove his worth as a featherweight before getting a fight of that stature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back