• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Bad News Barrett Have Potential?

CultOfPersonality

Occasional Pre-Show
So, Bad News Barrett has been around for a month or so now (not including his time on the JBL & Cole Show), and it's fair to say he appears to be splitting opinion.

Lots of people hate it, they think it's cheap heat and bland with no future and a waste of a talented guy in Barrett. Some people can see it going somewhere, as long as he is given some direction in order to start a feud and actually start wrestling again.

Me personally, I find it hilarious. Should I find a heel characters heel segments hilarious? No, that just defeats the purpose of him being a heel in the first place. In fairness to Barrett though, he's really embracing the character and I think his mic work in the past speaks for itself in terms of quality. But where do WWE go with it?

A) he joins The Authority as a more natural mouthpiece, if/when Kane goes back to the mask. I like this idea because he'd fit right in, but then it probably means he stays outside of the ring, and this is a waste of Barrett as a wrestler in his prime. At least Kane is getting older and deserves some time away from the ring after the years he's put in.

B) Barrett starts popping up backstage and giving 'Bad News' to potential feud targets like Big E or Kofi Kingston (any decent midcard face would do to start with), challenging them to matches later in the night after dropping a stream of abuse at their feet. This would offer direction at least, and would seem more realistic to have him confront people backstage than carry on with his weird podium rising from the stage.

C) He carries on with the podium, but actually gets involved with matches, interfering and causing distractions in order to begin a feud that way. Imagine if Big E was in the middle of a match against Sandow or Fandango (non-title for nwo) and Bad News Barrett rises on his podium, slams his gavel and declares "I'M AFAID I'VE GOT SOME BAD NEWS", causing a distraction and allowing the heel to win. This would instantly get him back in the IC title picture and get a feud underway.

D) Finally, you could pair him with another group or a tag team partner. Lots of people have spoken about a British stable which could work, but I think there could be some potential in a team up with Sandow. They're two great mic workers who both portray arrogance better than a lot of other heels. I think they would be able to work well and do some good promo work, as well as both being solid in the ring.

What does everyone else thing of Barrett's new gimmick, and where do you see it going now we're into a new year and Wrestlemania season?

At best, and I mean at best because it will probably go nowhere, it will get him go away heat, or X-Pac Heat if that's what you call it.

It's an awful gimmick that they didn't think through (as is evidenced by the changing podium). Could genuinely sink Barrett's career as you can only languish in the mid to lower card for so long before the audience won't buy into you as a character to get behind (hello Kofi)

I think it's hysterical. He's trying so hard to be serious, yet saying the most ridiculous things. He's trying to be mean, but it's all so snarky. And that rising podium is made of pure funny.

I don't know if that's what they are/were going for, though. I hope it is, because that's a character I can get behind. Since Nexus ended, he's floundered around as about as boring a guy that they've ever had, now he's got a tangible, fairly interesting character.

Only downside is that his music sounds like a TNA theme.

It's good stuff, but eventually Wade is again going to have to go about the business of wrestling.....and I'm trying to imagine how he's going to incorporate the "bad news" schtick into his ring work.

I believe his best destiny is as a leader of people; we've seen him handle that role so well in the past. If Creative has a way of getting Wade to command a group of "naysayers" that follow him and do his bidding, I think WWE might have a winner.

Wade's whole "fight club" program failed because he was alone....and his ring repertoire, while technically good, doesn't inspire fans to get excited about what he's doing.

Give him a gang. Make one of 'em a girl. This time, instead of a Nexus or Shield-type approach in which they accomplish collective goals, let Wade lead them in directions he wants to go. The "bad news" scenario should fit right in.

I like it now personally, it has grown on me. Initially I was wondering what in the world the point of it was. These promos have given Barrett something he has needed in a long time, a gimmick. He's good in the ring but something always felt like it was missing during his previous angles.... The christmas promo when he took donations for "charity" and then had some BAD NEWS for everyone that he has taken the money for himself was when I finally realized this is going to be good for Barrett. Then he began coming up on the raised platform, which has made the promos come off stronger. I enjoy Bad News Barrett but hope to see him enter some actual feuds soon. "Well, I'm afraid I've got some BAD NEWS" can easily become his catchphrase for all future feud promos. This has potential, as long as he begins working matches again and having actual storyline feuds. For those who don't like Bad News Barrett, I'm afraid I've got some BAD NEWS. The gimmick does not seem to be going away anytime soon.

For those who don't like Bad News Barrett, I'm afraid I've got some BAD NEWS. The gimmick does not seem to be going away anytime soon.

Dagger...C'mon man. This is Barrett we're talking about here. He's like that one store in a plaza that always get's changed into something different everytime you think to look in its direction. One day it's a Little Ceaser. Next time, it's a nail salon. After that, it's a dollar store. Finally, it's a chinese takeout joint. That's how I personally view Barrett and his ever changing persona.

I want to be right there with you proclaiming that this Bad News Barrett gimmick will stick but that track record keeps rearing its ugly head.

On 4chan, during the TLC PPV, someone made a post regarding an 'Totally OUT THERE' prediction concerning Bad News Barrett.

I can't for the life of me duplicate the exact idea word for word, but here's the gist; Cena and Orton are battling for the Unification title, with Barrett making his interruption; "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is, tonight there's going to be a unified champion. The bad news?

IT'S GONNA BE ME!!!"

And with that he races into the ring, kicks their butts, takes the title belts, and through a bunch of other stuff ultimately ends up getting knighted back in Britain.

Now, imagine Barrett doing that sort of stunt in the Royal Rumble, or even as a surprise challenger for somebody or other.

Its nothing to me, I heard a few things hes done its just generic nothing funny/unique or any other emotion raising.

TBH I find their actual personality far more engaging then they're characters, by which I mean something like an outside interview you occasionally see. I had not listen to a del rio promo/segment in months/years i wasn't counting then I heard him in an interview about his career and it was 100% better then anything he's ever said while in the ring/backstage. When they did the throw up thing with titus on backstage fall out and Swaggar and Cesaro couldn't stop laughing They in 20 seconds showed more character then in their entire careers on screen.

Case in point I know it wont happen but barret should go find his own character something that suites him, Bad news Barret is indeed bad news for the entertainment level of the show and barrest career

Barrett's new gimmick has completely grown on me. It sounds stupid, but just the simple fact that they now raise him about 20 feet in the air makes it just hilarious to me. I don't even really care what he says as long as they keep doing that, because it's gold. He did say some funny and somewhat true things on Raw though, when addressing the old school stars. Sometimes a little tweak is all it takes, and I feel that's what happened here with the new and improved podium.

Barrett's new gimmick has completely grown on me. It sounds stupid, but just the simple fact that they now raise him about 20 feet in the air makes it just hilarious to me. I don't even really care what he says as long as they keep doing that, because it's gold. He did say some funny and somewhat true things on Raw though, when addressing the old school stars. Sometimes a little tweak is all it takes, and I feel that's what happened here with the new and improved podium.

This is exactly my opinion of it too, it's hilarious but then I have to think - should a heel be hilarious?

Aren't we supposed to dislike heels, not look forward to watching them bash people because what they say is funny? I guess it's all going to boil down to when he gets back in the ring and how they translate the gimmick into matches and feuds.

This is exactly my opinion of it too, it's hilarious but then I have to think - should a heel be hilarious?

Aren't we supposed to dislike heels, not look forward to watching them bash people because what they say is funny? I guess it's all going to boil down to when he gets back in the ring and how they translate the gimmick into matches and feuds.

I don't think Barrett is playing a heel as much as he's playing a comedy act, but even then Heels have been known to be funny depending on their level of acting/creativity. If a heel has any personality beyond being a destructive monster, he/she is gonna have a following eventually, no matter what the traditional perspective says.

IM Afraid I got some Bad News. This gimmick is gonna stay,and I have the most confidence it will translate into the ring when he wrestles. Barrett is a star in the making,he got derailed because he got hurt and the MITB was supposed to be in WM28 that year i believe before he thrashed his elbow.. I enjoy this gimmick,its funny and has grown on me..

But i also agree that he is best served leading a stable of people,keep the gimmick while leading a stable to be Becoming the WWE WHC one day!

It is one of those gimmicks that are so bad it starts to work. The problem is in the long run those types usually bomb.

When I think about BNB I really question the range of WWE creative. Not a lot of depth doing on. Pretty sure he wouldn't be stuck in this gimmick if his name wasn't Barrett. They should have made him the new front man for 3MB. Use wrestling to reach his dream of being a rock star. That's W A D E B A Double R E Double T.

I like the gimmick. However, I think it has a lot more potential as a face or tweener. Barrett coming out and trashing fans about where they live is the oldest (and most successful) trick in the book. A champion of free speech and letting people know where the "Bear sh**s in the woods" would be awesome. Interrupting heel characters mid-promo to tell them some Bad News that they're boring and no one cares would go over well. He's been a heel since he started, and I think it's about time they give him a chance to try something new. Let him try the gimmick as a face. There's a huge hole left with Daniel Bryan "joining" the Wyatt Family, and there are so many heels out there right now who are doing similar things to what Barrett does. Give him the chance to be different.

It would have been totally understandable if had WWE dropped this gimmick immediately after its awful debut. To their credit though, they stuck with it, added an absurd lift, and now it's turning the corner. The Old School Raw edition of #BnB was easily the most entertaining appearance of the character yet, and hopefully it keeps getting better. Personally, I'm all for WWE adding a powdered wig and gown, but that's just me. I don't know what kind of potential Bad News Barrett has to win titles or lead stables, but it makes me smile and right now that's all that matters.

I'm one of the people that's loved the gimmick ever since Barrett debuted it on The JBL & Cole Show.

It was awkward at first to transition the character onto television, but by the time he debuted the rising podium, I was sold. The way Barrett just points his mallet handle at the crowd and talks down to them with a big grin on his face is hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back