• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do You Respect Ozzie Guillen?

Paul Bunyan's Axe

Occasional Pre-Show
So, just a flat out question; do you respect the current Florida Marlins coach Ozzie Guillen? The guy does draw a LOT of heat from some people (maybe he'd be a good heel for the WWE) and the guy down right speaks his mind regardless of what anyone will think of him. Most recently his saying that he "respects and loves Fidel Castro" which drew MAJOR heat seeing the area he's coaching in.

Even though about half the time I don't agree with the words that come out of his mouth, I respect that he speaks his mind and doesn't hold back. It takes a real man to be able to say some of the things he says without holding back.

So simple question, do you respect Ozzie Guillen?

Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. There is a fine line between speaking your mind and just making stupid, sometimes offensive, comments. I respect the guys baseball ability both as a former player and now as a manager but that's about it. I obviously don't know the guy personally but so I can't comment too much on his moral character but he needs to think before he speaks.

I think Ozzie is a hell of a manager. He's got a World Series to his credit. I respect his passion, fire, intensity, and dedication to the game. At the same time, he's got zero filter and says whatever comes to mind immediately, which gets him into a lot of trouble. I personally find it absolutely hilarious that of all the things he could possibly say, he praised Castro when the Marlins new stadium is in Little Fucking Havana and the Marlins are obviously trying to reel in the Cuban market hard (no pun intended). I personally take Ozzie at his word - that he's a good guy who drinks too much and does stupid shit. I know people like that. Good people at heart, do a lot of stupid shit. That's Ozzie. Do I respect him? Yeah, I do. I'd respect him more if he had some self restraint and could control himself a little on shit like the Castro thing, but that doesn't mean I don't respect him at all.

As Cub fan living in Miami, I've come to respect the Marlins to a degree. They have a hell of a program considering how young it is compared to the other clubs in MLB. And with that respect also comes to Ozzie as a Manager. The dude has a knack and a passion for the game, their is no denying that. Such a passion, you can see that it shows with how his players are around him and how much intensity they have for the game. Personally though, I believe his suspension was uncalled for, considering the circumstances. The Marlins signed Ozzie to manage a team to the World Series, as they would any other manager. They couldn't care for his politics, nor should they. I don't believe a Suspension was called for when it comes to something as politics on the baseball field. I don't watch the Chicago Cubs and expect Castro to praise Jesus after every RBI or a Run. Nor do I care who he voted for in the election. Why should Ozzie be suspended for having a obviously a very stupid opinion on something. Do I agree with Ozzie, and his views on Castro? Not in the slightest, but it is something I couldn't care for in my Baseball.

Pankcake said:
I don't believe a Suspension was called for when it comes to something as politics on the baseball field. I don't watch the Chicago Cubs and expect Castro to praise Jesus after every RBI or a Run. Nor do I care who he voted for in the election. Why should Ozzie be suspended for having a obviously a very stupid opinion on something. Do I agree with Ozzie, and his views on Castro? Not in the slightest, but it is something I couldn't care for in my Baseball.
It happens, maybe the owner Jeff Loria didn't want that around the Marlins. It's not like the MLB suspended Ozzie Guillen. There's still a set of rules you have to follow regardless of who you are and what they may be. I'm sure if you were a Major League Baseball owner, you wouldn't want anything like this to be a distraction to your business or team. Also it's not like he was going off about something baseball related. It had nothing to do with baseball. He goes on his tirades and they're funny, but Jeff did what he thought was right. I could careless what Ozzie Guillen has to say about Castro, but he has more important things to do than go on about him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back