Do You Remember: Punch Out

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This game very well may be the greatest fighting/sports game for its generation. You control a young up and coming prospect known as Little Mac who fights his way up through the ranks against a cast of shall we say colorful characters. Beginning with the pathetic Glass Joe, Mac fights all comers in his quest for the gold. Along the way he'll take on everything from Bull Fighters to Snake Charmers, until he reaches the fight for the World Title, against none other than Iron Mike Tyson!

Now this was a big deal in gaming at the time as there were very few celebrities featured in games up until then. At the time Tyson was on top of the world and the battle with him is epic. I defy anyone to go out and try to beat him right now. That guy will beat your ass from one side of the ring to the other all night long. Throw in none other than Mario as the referee and how could this not be ten kinds of awesome?

The game spawned an SNES sequel entitled Super Punch Out. This game is just as fun but with far better graphics. The colors are bright and vibrant, the music is energizing and the cast of characters are just as out there as before, even throwing in a Luchador. Overall a great series in the Nintendo library and well worth a look if you have an older console, or if it's released on the Wii.

I've never played the original Punch Out, but I did have Punch Out featuring Mr. Dream. Apparently, Nintendo, for whatever reason, no longer featured Mike Tyson in it, but instead placed Mr. Dream. The game was great fun, although I always had trouble once I got up to the Bull guy.

Great game. On a side note, you can STILL play it, if you get an emulator and the ROM. It's really not that difficult.

I absolutely love this game. However, I never actually beat it. If memory serves me correct, I could never get past Soda Popinski.

A few years ago, a friend of mine actually beat this game while I was watching. It was interesting to see who came after Soda Popinski; he had the Mike Tyson instead of the Mr. Dream version, so, I think it went (after Soda Popinski) Mr. Sandman, Super Macho Man (who eerily resembled The Ultimate Warrior), Mike Tyson.

I have the rom of it. Love the game and all the other NES oldies.

As for the Tyson situation, the contract that Nintendo had to use his likeness expired. Instead of paying him royalties they simply rereleased the game as Punch Out, instead of Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Mr. Dream was allegedly a caricature of Tyson so that it seemed like you were fighting him, but Nintendo could save the licensing fee.

I, also, have not played the original punch out, But I do play the sequel; super punch out.

I have beat this game before, but haven't yet beat it on my SNES emulator yet. For those of you who don't know, If you beat the first three circuits with no losses, there's a speacial circuit. I'm currently stuck on a part where you fight a chinese character named "Hoy Quarlow". You just can't find this guys boxing pattern.

I loved this game. It ranks pretty high on my top 5 SNES games list, with ease. I believe the characters make this game; everyone has their own unique, colorful style.

If you have not played this game, I highly suggest it to anyone.

Quarlow is a guy that gave me fits. There's a pattern there, trust me.

That was another big aspect of this game: figuring out the patterns. If you could find them then you could beat just about anyone on the game with a few exceptions. Some of the last guys are just insanely hard to beat. It took me something like 40 tries to win the final fight. it's a fun mixture of strategy and memorizing the patterns of the opponents. It can go either way in any kind of fight, but it's still pretty fun.

Even after nearly 22 years...that game still has a very healthy dose of fear programmed into me. I've watched a bunch of Tyson's real fights, but that stuff pales into comparison to the nerves I felt the first time I eeked my was past Super Macho Man and got a shot at Kid Dynamite. A great game and one I'd like to see (Tyson or not...preferably without) done BY NINTENDO for the Wii. Use the same characters and play style. Just beef it up and add some more boxers and super moves. Dig it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back