Do you know what these wrestling terms mean?

Discussion in 'Live Discussions Archives' started by Slyfox696, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Slyfox696

Slyfox696 Excellence of Execution

It seems so many times that people in the IWC throw around "industry" terms without fully understanding what they mean. So, this is a trivia of sorts to see who knows what they are talking about and who is completely off.

Terms:

Workrate

Face

Heel

Kayfabe

Draw

Mark

Spot/Spotfest/Spotmonkey/Spotty

New terms may be updated as I come across them.

2. Workrate: A wrestler's use of "work" to develop a match. One's workrate is determined by his or her ability to "work" in an intelligent and productive manner. When used by critics, it is an analysis of the action in a match and the skill level exhibited

Face: A good guy.

Heel: A bad guy.

Kayfabe: Term used to describe the illusion (and up-keep of the illusion) that professional wrestling is not staged (i.e. that the on-screen situations between performers represent reality). Also used by wrestlers as a signal to close ranks and stop discussing business due to an uninformed person arriving in earshot

Draw: To be able to attract the attention of the audience.

Mark: A fan who believes that some or all of professional wrestling is real. The term can also be applied to a fan who idolizes a particular wrestler, promotion, or style of wrestling to a point some might consider excessive.

Spotstuff: A spot is a preplanned move which is designed to get a specific audience reaction. A spotfest is a match which has many spots and very little space between them. An old-fashioned cruiserweight match would be a good example or a gimmick match. A spotmonkey is someone who needs to do many spots to get over with the crowd.

3. Shadowmancer

Shadowmancer I am The Last Baron

Here is a big one Jobber does anyone know what this term actually entails.

4. k/king8

k/king8 Occasional Pre-Show

Jobber- wrestler who puts another over by being pinned clean

5. Shadowmancer

Is this term overused on this site now? Yes.

6. Slyfox696

I'll be honest, I'm not agreeing with many of the definitions for given terms so far...

For example, this is completely wrong.

7. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

WOW - there's a shock! Sly disagrees!

OK smart guy, what's the right answer then?

8. Slyfox696

Go figure.

A jobber is a wrestler whose sole job is to make his opponent look good. Not just by getting beat clean, but by selling moves as very intense, taking a great deal of punishment, and making his opponent look as great as possible. Their job is to bump like crazy and do the best job they can selling as intense injuries as possible during a match. Finally, a jobber is to get laid out so the other guy can get a clear cut victory, with absolutely no thought in ANYONE'S mind about who the dominant man in the match was.

THAT'S what a jobber is. According to the other guy's definition, Hogan was a jobber when Warrior beat him at Wrestlemania 6.

9. Shadowmancer

That is sort of what I am getting at with asking it. Because I completely disagree with a poll on these WWE's/TNA's best Jobber. Half of the people on the list are not Jobbers.

10. Slyfox696

A jobber is the guy that Umaga obliterated a week or two ago on Raw in England. A guy who came in and whose sole job was to get the piss beat out of him, and make his opponent look incredibly strong. I haven't seen the threads you're talking about, but the term "jobbing" and "jobber" is so completely misunderstood these days, it's ridiculous.

The same goes to workrate as well, in my mind.

11. bigshot316

bigshot316 Dark Match Winner

Just watch any episode of WWF Challenge from the late 80's/early nineties. All the matches on these shows were "jobber" matches. Ham n' eggers is another term they once used for them. Often they got guys from local indie promotions to come and get destroyed by Skinner or the Warlord or Nailz lol. Basically, those matches were like an advert for said "Superstar"..