Do You Believe The Undertaker Is Good At Making Others Look Good?

Iwantwrestlingback!

Dark Match Winner
Okay this is my first thread post so if it is the wrong place then please move it for me.

So when I watch The Undertaker's matches (exspecially now that he doesn't wrestle alot) I always see a great match between him and whoever WWE chooses for him to fight. I also think he helps make great promos to make a rivalary since he is great for it and I think he has had people that don't usually need/use promos to make a rivalry. For example: Shawn Michaels until he started a feud with The Undertaker what promo's did you really see him use? Not many unless you count DX which was mostly Triple H in the promos and Shawn was just the person that was being stupid (my opinion). I think his promos with The Undertaker were very well thought out and very well executed. I believe that The Undertaker even though he always wins when he wrestles is still great at making people look good even when they lose.

My questions to you are:

Do you think The Undertaker is good at making wrestlers look good even when they lose?

Do you think the wrestlers that face The Undertaker always have a better promo because they are doing promos with The Undertaker who is very good at promos?

I think the Undertaker is probably one of the best big guys at making his opponent's look good in the ring. He's faced the best of the best and looked good. He's faced the younger wrestlers and both guys looked great. That is truly the mark of a guy that understands wrestling very well. I'd be hard pressed to think of any other big guy(or even average guys as well) who as good as Taker about making ppl look good.

And to some extent, wrestlers do have better promos when facing Taker. Especially when it's at WM, b/c it has such a big match feel to it. Otherwise, most young guys do feel the need to step up on the mic anytime they are against him to make a name for themselves. It's entertaining too when he faces veterans, cause the promos are more back and forth. Essentially forcing Taker to step up and say more than "Rest In Peace".

Any way you say it, I believe Taker is one of a kind and performs as well as anyone I've seen while watching wrestling.

I do feel that the undertaker does make people look good when they face him, ever if they have always been good, then look ever better when facing the taker, i mean hbk has always been great, but his 2 wm matches with taker actually made hbk look awesome and actually made him look like mr. wm. Taker has done things to people like kane, cena(I know alot of people might say that cena can't wrestle) but cena did need to step up back in the day when he faced the taker, so yes taker has made guys step up and also step up in promos too just because it is the Freaky Undertaker

I honestly think it's one of his strongest qualities. He's big, but he bumps really well and he can make smaller guys look good. Not only that, but because he's such a fan favorite and because he has always been so over, anyone who beats him looks unbeatable themselves.

His gimmick lends a lot of that to others, but I think he's one of the biggest reasons Foley got over in the late 90s. Sure, Foley was a cult icon, a legendary performer, and would probably kill himself to make the fans satisfied, but Mankind could take it to the Undertaker. At that time, he was one of the few guys that was, "tough," enough to hang with him. Sure, Taker was losing his share of matches, but guys like HBK, Steve Austin, Kane, were beating him in some underhanded ways in the forms of receiving outside help or cheating. Mankind didn't have to do that; he was crazy and durable enough to fight a, "dead man," and that helped to start him on his path. He got his butt kicked by Taker pretty much every time, but again, the fact that he could just hang with him made him special.

There's been countless others: Randy Orton, Batista, CM Punk, etc. in just the last few years. He's great at getting his opponents over, and I think that's why he has sometimes been paired up with questionable opponents like Heidenreich, to name one. But, when you've got the goods, Undertaker will elevate you.

I think Undertaker is great at making others look good. On a flip side but still in connection to the topic I personally feel that Mankind bought out something new in Undertaker back in 1996 and the work they did together both in the ring and the promos lifted Undertakers performance and made him a much better all round supertar. Not saying that he never had it in him from the start (didn't really have to stretch himself back then..just under sell and look invincible). His feud with Mankind forced him to up his game in my opinion. I think he has bought out the best in many a WWE wrestler since then and turned good wrestlers into superstars along the way.

I really do think he does.

Does anyone remember his match with swagger over a year back during swaggers push they kept on showing his match with taker on the next smack down and raw.To me it really built up his credibility even though he lost.Undertaker usually wins but if his matches with a young guy last at least 10 minutes it really counts it gives someone who really need it another thing to brag about.

I wanna ask if someone really want Rhodes vs taker soon :)

Absolutely. Take his recent match with HHH to answer that question. He won but looked half-dead after the match. I think the secret to it, though, is actually that he makes people look very good and himself that little bit better. I think he's perfectly able to this because of the nature of his gimmick also. A man who takes everything but you just can't kill, that leaves a lot of lee-way for opponents throwing the kitchen sink if they can reach.

And at the very least, Undertaker is a mountain of credibility but he's not unwilling to put the right guy over at all. That's the secret to his success, if you can score a victory or a good showing against him then you look invincible. But he always looks strong.

He made mankind look like gold. I cant remember anyone in the 90's putting a ass whooping on taker the way foley did. In the 2000's I'd have to say edge. At wrestlemania 24 i knew edge was a huge star when he had a classic with taker. It was counter wrestling at its best.

Well,tere have been many superstars that change characters,but very few succeed,but no one has succeed with two characters like the undertaker,one is the dead man gimmik,but he was also awesome as the american bad ass,with that persona he put triple h and Brock Lesnar on a bigger level,also that was the time when Matt Hardy was relevant,when he turned from the dead man to the american bad ass it was a big impact,not many people can do that like the undertaker,he is that good..........

Not forgetting his Ladder match with Jeff hardy. Jeff was obviously a star before that match but as one half of The hardy Boyz... even though he lost the match he still came out of it as a genuine singles star.

I am very surprised that no one here has disagreed with my opinion (you don't see that often) but I am also happy that people here aren't mad that they don't have Undertaker lose anymore without the person cheating. I think Undertaker is one of the few wrestlers that can win everytime but isn't like Cena where he just demolishes all his oppenents. Also who else likes the Hells Gate I mean I love submissions that can come out of nowhere because that makes it believable when you beat someone for example the big show. I mean Undertaker is big to but to beat Big Show your not just gonna win a power game and Undertaker could win striking but that only goes so far. So I think the hells gate win over Big Show when they had that fued made it so much better since it didn't make Undertaker just bury the Big Show it let Undertaker win with Big Show still putting on a good match (for the big show it was good) with the Undertaker.

I feel undertaker does make his opponents look good. for example when he faced Jeff hardy in a ladder match a few years back on raw

I'ma agree and say the Undertaker is good at selling wrestlers and matches.

As far as his matches are concerned. If you look at him from the early 90's till last year. It's evident that Taker really have toned and improved his in ring skills. For a major superstar he has showed vast improvment than any other superstar in the ring. So his ability to sale matches has genuinely improved. During Wrestlemania 25 and 26, both were real worthy of match of the year. But the thing was, he wrestled the best Shawn Michaels. Now against wrestlers that can wrestle, Undertaker vs. HHH, Orton, Shameus, CM Punk. Are great matches. Even his fight with Batista was a great match. But the only problem is those who skills not up to par like they should be. Yeah some may sound like dream matches, but it's harder to sale. Cause although Taker has improved dramatically in the ring, his versatility and durability is not stable enough to go out of the way to sale an epic match. But yeah Undertaker is great for selling great matches, and making Superstars look good. Shoot, Shawn Michaels wrestled one of the best matches of his career, and almost the perfect match till he got Tombstone at WM 25.

Now as far as promos are concerned. I'm really not that big on promo's cause I'm a firm beleiver on either you can wrestle, or you just can't. But to answer your question. The Undertaker is very unique and creative with his choice of words for his gimmick both on the mic and them magic tricks he be doing. His delivery seeps down in the souls of his opponets, and it sends such a chill down everyone's spine in the arena. And the thing about it, is that when he talks, he makes u beleive he will win. He makes you beleive he can't be beat. And most of all, he makes you beleive that he's Immortal. So yeah, Undertaker throughout his career has many main event feuds, as many great secondary feuds. The feuds with Yokozuna, Shawn Michaels, Kane, Diesel, Mabel, Goldust, and Mankind. And to think Undertaker vs. Mankind wasn't the main event for the pay per views they fought, but they stole the show. Even the casket match with Goldust, it also stole the show. The worst lead up outta all his feuds was the last one with Kane. But Undertaker he sells great. And Ima go ahead and shut up before yall give up reading my opinion. lol.

Undertaker has been carried to great matches all decade. Randy Orton, Edge, Michaels, HHH, even Batista had his best match at Mania against Taker His time is long passed and coming back for a payday is smart business, but burns his legacy further. Ideally, he will go to 20-o and win a World Title at Mania 28 then have Bryan cash in and beat him. Taker finally loses at Mania, puts a guy over who is a world class wrestler and he can retire into death valley

undertaker was the first goldberg.. i belive this is a quote from bret harts book in which vince gave instructions that he did not want taker to ever have his feeth off the mat.

Do you think The Undertaker is good at making wrestlers look good even when they lose?
It seems like this is a rhetorical question because it's definitely an obvious answer. I mean you can look as late as WM27 with HHH. Although both are legends, UT made HHH look like an ICON, and HE LOST! HBK is another example and the list goes on and on. He's a great professional and great worker when healthy.

Do you think the wrestlers that face The Undertaker always have a better promo because they are doing promos with The Undertaker who is very good at promos?
I would say no to this because if you aren't good on the mic, UT isn't gonna make you any better. His promos are kinda overpowering and you have to be strong on the mic to withstand what he brings. If you are weak, you won't survive.

I agree with the ppl who said Undertaker made Jeff Hardy a star despite winning their ladder match. That's no easy feat either, b/c Jeff Hardy is a mediocre wrestler at best IMO. I remember thinking after that match Jeff was gonna win the WWE Title for sure(even though I was dead set against it). To me, that conclusively proves Taker is one of the most talented guys at making ppl look not only good, but great. Few can pull that off while maintaining their own credibility. Not to mention Taker never politicing or refusing to job(again an attribute you don't see with big stars often).

Clearly Taker will be remembered for doing slot of positive things for the wrestling industry. As well as being the consumate professional who was always loyal to WWE.

So many great mentions here, I don't think I need to add anything. But I'd like to point out Undertaker vs Batista at Wrestlemania 23.

Yes, yes, Batista's feud with Triple H made him a star, but he looked like a real WWE icon when he fought Taker at Wrestlemania 23. It was the match of his life and Taker really made Batista looked like a WWE legend in that match. Just look at this:

[youtube]3K52dcHdzds[/youtube]

By far Batista's greatest match in his career. As well as the best feud he's ever had in WWE. And I believe that match should made it to any Undertaker's top 10 match ever. The feud was better than Taker's feud with Lesnar, Austin, HHH, Orton, and Angle. My God, don't I just love it!!

He might be good at making people look good but he's not good at putting people over. Any time he loses in a feud, its typically in a gimmick match of some sort so he's not pinned or submits.

I'm going to say no. Undertaker's gimmick invovles not appearing to take very much damage during matches, which clearly does not help get the wrestler he's facing over whatsoever during the match.

His most recent match with HHH, I think they cut a nice promo with the stare down. The wordless promo they did was really interesting to me, since it hasn't been done in awhile (or ever? Not sure). . .You could tell what they were thinking without any words. It was really interesting.

Aside from that one specifically, again I'm going to say otherwise, he does not make other people look good. When he comes out, usually the other guy is required to look scared. Clearly that doesn't make them look good. Especially since they normally have to job to him. Most of Undertaker's high profile losses are due to dubious means, like outside interferance or use of weapons. It's practically never legit.

So add all that up. . .and I'd say he has the opposite effect of making people look good. It's quite the contrary. When you see Undertaker involved in a promo, you pretty much automatically know he's going to win the fued since he is usually put over 90-95% of the time. Similar to Cena/Orton. It sort of spoils the event for some people, which imo gives me a distaste for even seeing him at times. It pretty much tells me whoever he's facing is having their career put on hold to put Undertaker over to get some ratings.

Taker really truly made Edge look like gold during their feud. Edge was at main event level as one of the top heels but it was that edge v. Taker which made Edge go to real stardom. Yes, that entire feud with foley put him in a new level and those taker v. Foley feud was gold as well. His matches with Lesner was good as well. See here's one of the reasons why Taker is classic cuz he cemented his place and legacy a long time ago. So he just concentrates on making his opponent look good. I remember when Benoit once said; it's not about making yourself look good, it's about making the show look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back