Do we have any real "Wrestlemania Moments" anymore?

Tanned Sheamus 2.0

Dark Match Jobber
I was watching Wrestlemania 24 on DVD the other day, and I tried to pick out a real stand out moment or match from the PPV. I sat there for a good half an hour and could not find one real "Wrestlemania Moment". So I looked at other recent Manias, and heres the biggest standout moments of each:

WM 23: Either Taker/Batista or Mcmahon/Trump HairVHair
WM 25:Ok, Taker/HBK, But other than that what else? JBL retiring?
WM 26:Taker/HBK, but am I the only one who thought it was slightly overkill

And even these feel slightly manufactured, like Cena celebrating with the "We hate Cena " shirt guy felt scripted. Even the video packages for mania in the buildup to the big event, you see so many great moments from yesteryear, like Hogan slamming Andre, Austin/Rock, and HBK/Bret. I hoghly doubt you will see Orton/HHH from WM25, or Show/Mayweather fromm WM24.

So, do you guys agree, and if you do then how do you suggest we get some real memorable mania moments back in to WWE?

I really have to disagree with you here, especially your WM24 example. “I’m sorry. I love you” followed by sweet chin music was an awesome WrestleMania moment. I know a lot of people will say it is tainted now that Flair is wrestling in TNA, but it was still quite a moment and it did mark the end of Flair’s WWE wrestling career.

Vince getting his head shave at WM23 was a pretty good moment. The entire match of HBK vs. Taker from WM25 could be considered a great mania moment. Vince tapping out to the sharpshooter was supposed to be a big moment. The match didn’t come off that well but the idea for the moment was there.

All the WrestleMania moments have been manufactured. We just didn’t notice as much in the early years because we were kids caught up in the moment. Of course some years have bigger moments than others, but I think pretty much every year we get something special at mania.

What are you talking about? At Wrestlemania 24, we saw one of the most emotional moments ever. Watching Flair cry before HBK delivered the final superkick was a great moment, and the standing ovation he received after the match was so surreal. I also don't understand how you could think the ending to Taker VS HBK was overkill. Shawn literally slapped Taker in the face, as the Deadman was trying to show mercy towards him. Taker then follows this up with a JUMPING TOMBSTONE. The embrace between these two men after the match was also special. We saw one of the true legends in pro wrestling have on outstanding retirement match in the main event of Wrestlemania this year. Wrestlemania 25 was pretty lackluster. The only highlight of that pay per view was Taker VS Michaels. As far as Wrestlemania 23 goes, The Donald Trump/Vince McMahon match was able to gain a good amount of press, and seeing Vince McMahon have his head shaved bald was pretty hilarious. Vince McMahon, Donald Trump, and Stone Cold Steve Austin were all involved in the same match. You only see this type of stuff at the big show.

It's really hard to compare anything to Hogan slamming Andre. That was an iconic moment, and the slam heard around the world changed pro wrestling, but I just don't understand how you can say we don't have any real Wrestlemania moments anymore. There have been a good amount of them over the years, and each one was special in their own way.

I really have to disagree with you here, especially your WM24 example. “I’m sorry. I love you” followed by sweet chin music was an awesome WrestleMania moment. I know a lot of people will say it is tainted now that Flair is wrestling in TNA, but it was still quite a moment and it did mark the end of Flair’s WWE wrestling career.

Vince getting his head shave at WM23 was a pretty good moment. The entire match of HBK vs. Taker from WM25 could be considered a great mania moment. Vince tapping out to the sharpshooter was supposed to be a big moment. The match didn’t come off that well but the idea for the moment was there.

All the WrestleMania moments have been manufactured. We just didn’t notice as much in the early years because we were kids caught up in the moment. Of course some years have bigger moments than others, but I think pretty much every year we get something special at mania.

I respect your opinion, and actually do agree with some points. OK, Michaels/Flair WAS a big moment, but, as you said yourself, it was so tainted by Flair's TNA switch I struggle to view it as a big WM moment anymore. Vinces head shave I disagree with, as it was just a publicity stunt in my opinion. Vince tapping to the sharpshooter was so badly done I don't think it can be viewed as a big moment, although it couldv'e been as you said. I agree it was a lot easier back in the days when larger than life characters were worshipped by kids, but surely it is still possible in this day and age to make a real defining Mania moment. But, again, I respect your opinion

I've got to disagree because you look at the last few WrestleMania's there have been moments that are true WrestleMania moments.

WM 23:
You had Jeff Hardy's legdrop off a ladder putting both him and Edge through a ladder.
Vince McMahon gets his head shaved bald by Donald Trump, Stone Cold, and Bobby Lashley
Undertaker defeats Batista to win to World Heavyweight Title
And not to mention, John Cena forcing Shawn Michaels to tap out on the grandest stage.

WM 24:
Shawn Michaels retiring Ric Flair with an emotional sendoff
Undertaker wins the World Heavyweight Title in a classic main event match with Edge

WM 25:
Ok the list would have to be limited to Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker

WM 26:
John Cena winning the WWE Title by making Batista (who was essentially an unstoppable heel) tap out.
And Undertaker beating Shawn Michaels in HBK's retirement match.

So yeah there have been more than just a couple WrestleMania moments.

Well think, there are actually alot of great wrestlemania moments heres a few

Wrestlemania 22
Shawn Micheals 12-16 ft elbow drop
Edges spear through a flaming table
The Triple Threat Match

Wrestlemania 23
Undertaker wins his first world heavywieght championship
Vince gets his head shaved
John Cena defeats HBK in a classic Main Event match

Wrestlemania 24
Randy Orton was voted least likely to win and he pulls it off
Undertaker breaks Edges undeafeated streak at wrestlemania (16-0,4-1)
Chris Jericho makes his wrestlemania return since WM 21

Wrestlemania 25
Undertaker vs HBK speaks for itself
CM Punk becomes the first man to win MTIB back to back

Wrestlemania 26
Undertaker vs HBK in an incredible match ending HBK's 25 year career
Vince taps out to the sharpshooter
Evan Bournes "Air Bourne" off the ladder
Cena tames the Animal, winnig the WWE championship
and I Personally think Edge and Jericho was an amazing match

So yeah idk what you mean by, its hard to find a mania moment

I was watching Wrestlemania 24 on DVD the other day, and I tried to pick out a real stand out moment or match from the PPV. I sat there for a good half an hour and could not find one real "Wrestlemania Moment". So I looked at other recent Manias, and heres the biggest standout moments of each:

WM 23: Either Taker/Batista or Mcmahon/Trump HairVHair
WM 25:Ok, Taker/HBK, But other than that what else? JBL retiring?
WM 26:Taker/HBK, but am I the only one who thought it was slightly overkill

And even these feel slightly manufactured, like Cena celebrating with the "We hate Cena " shirt guy felt scripted. Even the video packages for mania in the buildup to the big event, you see so many great moments from yesteryear, like Hogan slamming Andre, Austin/Rock, and HBK/Bret. I hoghly doubt you will see Orton/HHH from WM25, or Show/Mayweather fromm WM24.

So, do you guys agree, and if you do then how do you suggest we get some real memorable mania moments back in to WWE?

Yeah, you kind of ruined your argument here. Most Manias start off bad in the first half hour but have good moments later on after the first hour. Flair vs HBK and Edge vs Taker both occurred later in the event.

Basically, anything you remember from that certain show is an automatic Wrestlemania moment. Jeff's jump at WM23, Edge's spear through a flaming table at WM22, Mysterio becoming champion at WM22, Eddie and Benoit celebrate at WM20, Batista and Cena win their first ever titles at WM21, HBK/Taker at WM25, HBK's retirement at WM26.

So yeah, Mania moments still exist, just not in the same capacity as before.

At Wrestlemania 24, the big Wrestlemania moment was the Ric Flair retirement match. I know it didnt hold up, but thats a different story. If it werent for Flair's age and diminshing wrestling ability, it should have been the main event over Edge and Undertaker. HBK wanting to show mercy but Flair struggling to his feat, still wanting to fight, was a classic moment.

The send-off, both that night, and the next, were brilliantly executed. HBK, the winner, immediately vacated the ring so Flair could bask in the glory of the moment "one last time." The "Im sorry, I love You" was a heart gripping moment and easily bigger then anything that had happened at Wrestlemania in years. It wasn't about making stars, or pushing talent to the next level. It was about the arguably biggest legend in this business involved in a largely emotional moment, followed by an epic sendoff. If thats not a Wrestlemania moment, what is?

Other recent moments that stand out include both HBK destroying Vince in their No holds Barred match, and Cena making HHH tap out at Wrestlemania 22. Granted, Jim Ross had a huge part in making those moments feel special, as his calls of those matches made them epic because of it. If there was something I would suggest to make Wrestlemania feel like a moment, Id say bring Ross back to call Wrestlemania.

The problem is, and you know this, is that when we were younger, these moments felt much more epic as we didnt know they werent real. They're scripted. As is the case as other memories compared to most at WM 25(other then HBK/Taker), some years have more significance then others, and thats ok. Everyone is going to have the year that sticks out to them as being "epic", or monumental if you will, moreso then others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back