• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do players need to respect their coaches more?

This is an issue that I believe has plagued sports for years. Some players do not respect their coaches enough. A coach is supposed to be the guy whose orders you take regardless of what you think, but nowadays it just seems that players will completely dismiss what coaches have to say. There are many prevalent examples of this in sports today:

• Brett Favre and Brad Childress - Simply put, Brett got Brad fired. He completely disrespected him on and off the field and turned an entire team against him.
  • LeBron James and Erik Spoelstra - LeBron bumped Spoelstra during Saturday's loss at the Mavericks. This isn't even the first time 'Bron has done this. He did the same thing in '07 to Mike Brown when the Cavs lost to the Knicks.
  • Vince Young and Jeff Fisher - Young doesn't show any respect towards Fisher. He acts like a child. Fisher takes him out of the game and then Young goes ballistic and throws his pads into the crowd... VERY mature.
  • Shawne Merriman and Norv Turner - This one might not be as obvious, but during Merriman's time as a Charger I noticed that he didn't care about a single thing Turner had to say, there's a reason he's a Buffalo Bill now.

Now, what do you think about this issue? Do you think players need to turn it around, or that in today's game respect isn't as big as a factor?

I honestly think that players should be suspended or at least fined for these things. You're blatantly disrespecting your coach, and showing that you guys have a weakness for every other team to build on. Players need to build a foundation on respect, not think that their star power somehow overrides the authority a coach has.

Honestly no, it would be nice to have everyone just follow in line with what the coach says but it won't happen, not in today's game. Players are much more outspoken and independent with things like Twitter and all the press they have shoved up their asses at all times, so their disagreements are out there for all of us to see. I'm sure if you go back a few decades the same things you've listed have happened, just not reported or are already forgotten. These acts of disrespect are not going to go away, and if teams are winning then they're a non issue. Players act out when the coach isn't producing, if the team isn't winning and the players feel it's the coach's fault they shouldn't really have to give him the respect he "deserves" since a coach can just bench the player for not producing. The days of the coach's decisions being the end all be all are over, is it really just a lack of respect? Maybe, but it shouldn't really matter because players win games, not coachs.

This has always been a problem, but in today's game I think it's worse, Blue. Look at Favre, Childress gave him this chance to redeem himself and Favre screwed him over. Favre will be gone next year, so he doesn't care, but he cost Chilly his job. Favre thinks his star shines brighter than the team, that's not ok. The coach is the guy who keeps that in check, and I you disprespect your coach then your entire team chemistry will go down the drain. The coach is an integral part of the team. He may not be out there to play, but he gives the players their opportunities.

I'm sure there are instances where players get fined or something for their behavior. But players are getting paid too much money, there's too much attention on them now that everything is now know. Blue is right, back in the day, there were probably plenty of instances where players and coaches didn't get along. We just never knew about it.

Another thing is a lot of times you see veteran players with issues with coaches who aren't experienced. These veterans get the benefit because they have been around longer and seem to know more. Thus the reason Vince Young is getting killed and everyone is behind Fisher. It just depends on the circumstances.

Should players have more respect for their coaches? Absolutely. But its not going to happen. It hasn't been that way and its most likely not going to change.

It's a tricky situation either way you look at it. If Vince Young was a more proven superstar, than I guarantee you he would have more leverage over Jeff Fisher. But Fisher has been a solid enough coach over the years, and he did take the Titans to a Super Bowl. Brad Childress really hasn't done anything special during his tenure as Vikings' head coach, and well Brett Favre is Brett Favre, so you just knew he wasn't going to win that battle. I just think it's kind of hard to put grown men in their place, especially when these grown men are pro athletes who make millions of dollars. These guys aren't just going to fall in line. They should respect the higher authority, but as we've seen, it just isn't going to happen.

It's a tricky situation either way you look at it. If Vince Young was a more proven superstar, than I guarantee you he would have more leverage over Jeff Fisher. But Fisher has been a solid enough coach over the years, and he did take the Titans to a Super Bowl. Brad Childress really hasn't done anything special during his tenure as Vikings' head coach, and well Brett Favre is Brett Favre, so you just knew he wasn't going to win that battle. I just think it's kind of hard to put grown men in their place, especially when these grown men are pro athletes who make millions of dollars. These guys aren't just going to fall in line. They should respect the higher authority, but as we've seen, it just isn't going to happen.[/QUOTE

As you said Farve is Farve...I mean there comes different situations...I mean a legend like Farve gets a little bit more lea way...i think if your the star of your team you get a little bit more lea way...i promise if it was Chris Johnson mad at Jeff Fisher who would the owner side with? yes athletes should respect there coaches...but with the legends and the stars you cant win without the coaches shouldnt try to demand it from them.

I was in Ohio my whole life, which means I had to live through the Lebron crap when he wa sin Cleveland. Nobody said a word when he bumped Brown, b/c many said Brown was getting "the gift" of being the coach of a great player. Then, LJ takes an hour to hit Florid, proves he's not worth it, & Cleveland fans take a second look.

Brett should be retired long ago.

Long story short, players are just like the IWC: Think what you want about who you want, but keep it to yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back