• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Difference between gimmicks and characters?

gd

Plump, Juicy User
In a couple of other threads there has been talk of the number of gimmicks there are in wrestling today. Many people disagree over gimmicks in wrestling today because that can't agree on what wrestlers have gimmick and which one's don't.

In your opinion, what is the difference between a gimmick and a character?

I think that pretty much ever wrestler has some sort of gimmick that makes them distinct from others. Even the main eventers have gimmicks, even if they are more sublte. For instance Orton is the Viper, Triple H is the Cerebral Assasin, etc.

What do you think?

I would say that the difference is that a gimmick is when a person plays something completely different than what they are or playing something over the top. A character is more of a mantra and an attribute that people have. Like you said with HHH, the assassin aspect isn't so much a gimmick but more along the lines of he's a thinking wrestler. If I had to completely break it down, I'd say that a character is more of an archetype while a gimmick is a completely unique character. however, there is obviously a lot of gray area.

A gimmick is simply a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.

For example - a all hairbrushes do the same thing - brush your hair. But some are given bright colors, comfort grip handles, etc...

People tend to get more excited about a gimmick than they do the product.

A good example of a WWE gimmick would be John Cena. He wrestles under his real name and personifies his true lifestyle in the ring.

A character is a fictional / imaginary person or a property that defines a specific individual.

A good example of a WWE character is the entire damn roster. Most of the guys / gals have developed alternate personalities, but they don't really act like that in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back