Did You Know?

dvayne

Pre-Show Stalwart
I couldn't find a thread on this but it's something that has been bothering me.

The Did You Know? segments, They make the WWE seem desperate to gain new fans and try to show how popular they are even when they put on a crap product.

Examples

Raw is the longest running episodic show in history - I don't know how they can even justify trying to compare Raw to sitcoms

Did you know that WWE is broadcast in 23 languages and to more than 130 nations? - Again why does anyone care as long as its in their language and makes it to their tv

Did you know Raw was watched by more teens then the teen choice awards? - yawn

Did you know that by reaching 500 episodes in ten years smackdown becomes the fastest episodic show to reach that milestone? - well of course it does its on every week all year long most shows take a few months off to write some scripts and to film it

Did you know that the WWE has visited over 200 military facilities?

So does anyone really find these facts interesting or is it a poor attempt on their part of making themselves look better?

I just look at those "Did You Know" facts as ways for WWE to put them above all other things on TV. Whether it be sitcoms or other sports or whatever. I doubt that every single one of them are true, by the way. If they are, I wonder why it seems like they are trying to change in order to gain more viewers, when according to the "Did You Know" things, they are the most popular thing going on TV.

I like the "Did You Know" segments because they make me feel like I am not alone. I'm an honors student at a university and if I told most people I enjoy wrestling they would probably give me a weird look. The more popular wrestling becomes the easier to talk about it outside of forums like these.

I don't care to see it on television. It makes WWE look more than what they really are in my opinion. They're suppose to be just a show promoting wrestling in general then FUN FACTS....Of course they've been around for a long time, and done amazing things with what they had, but we shouldn't have to praise them week after week (technically almost day after day) because of it. They should put the "Did You Know?" on WWE.com if you ask me, instead of taking up valuable air time.

Essentially, what WWE is doing is giving its fanbase talking points on behalf of the company. That way, when they are in discussions with their friends/family/peers, they can use these talking points and perhaps peek their curiosity in giving the product a try.

Actually when I'm watching WWE programming and one of these segments comes up, anyone I'm with at the time who isn't a pro wrestling fan becomes fascinated by them. It sort of legitimizes the WWE in their eyes where before they couldn't believe anyone would actually watch this.

I notice these every week and wonder about them. I can't possibly see how some of them are true. One of them said wwe.com got more hits than nfl.com, nba.com, mlb.com, nhl.com, espn.com, ufc.com and more combined - I can't really buy that. It almost seems as they go out of their way to say something like "yep last week RAW was watched more than every other show on every channel in every country last week combined.

I actually do like the idea of them, but they just seem to far out there to be believed. I'm sure they're true in a certain sense, but not what people are thinking. They might only take certain data at certain times, or throw things in that don't include others.

I'd like to see an outside source confirm all of these.

It seems that whenever I'm watching Raw with my wife, who is big fan as well, the DYK is something interesting such as...Raw is broadcast in more languages and in more countries etc etc etc. But when my buddy is over (who can't stand wrestling) its something to the effect of (and I'm exaggerating here but I can't think of any specific examples), "last week Raw was watched by more males 14-17 years old than Oprah and the Today Show combined" and invariably he says "well no shit"....so I could take them or leave them. Sometimes they look like WWE is stretching it to legitimize their product. I mean, if you're doing it to try and drag in more viewers, advertise something like that in another form of media whether it be in a magazine article or on a radio show. Anyone who can see the DYK segments is already watching Raw.

I like the "Did You Know" segments because they make me feel like I am not alone.

That's the essence of why WWE is doing a smart thing by inserting these messages during the show. People want to know that they're doing what other people are doing. They feel more secure in their choices if they're going along with the crowd.

On the other hand, it might be better for the company to find a way to stick these messages into non-WWE programming. After all, by displaying the ads on RAW or Smackdown, the messages are reaching viewers who are already watching wrestling. If WWE wants to reach new people, they might try buying time for these messages in other sporting events.

It makes sense for WWE to do this. Every company does this in one form or another. All the WWE is doing is promoting itself. Every company that's worth a damn does this, be it through a commercial, an endorsement, or just simple advertising. They're saying look at what we've got, we think you'll like it, and we're going to tell you why you should check it out. They're building themselves up with these stats as if to say that since so many people think something of this show or since we've done something cool, we're worth checking out because that many people can't be wrong. See? It's very basic advertising and any company does this. It's no different than a run of the mill commercial.

These facts about the WWE are just as simple as promotion about the company. Those who tune in or flicking through the channel whislt these pop-ups come will remind people that the E is definitely one of the best things going on cable TV & should be embraced by the mainstream media. As Lord Sidous said, it also acts as talking points for those who are avid WWE fans talking to people who aren't so much in attempting to convert them or hold the E in higher praise. Simple yet effective move by the head guys.

I personally think these segments are useless and annoying. They seem to twist words to make themselves sound better than everybody else. They change "people" to "men" or "women", which sound just as good as "people". They name a bunch of popular networks and say they've been watched more. Hell, they've been wrong a few times. It just annoys me and makes WWE sound cocky and arrogant.

I thought they were true for the longest time, until I saw the one about how they give military free tickets to their live shows. They've been in Denver twice since I've been here, and I have never heard about free tickets. When I was at my last base, they gave free tickets though. Maybe I'm just not at a well known base.

When the DYK segments first showed up, my friend and immediately thought "They're trying to prove they're better than TNA". I think WWE is just trying to show their influence and reach, and is saying "There is no way you can catch up with us."

It's all about power and dominance.

secret titan said:
*Comments about Free Live Tickets To Military Members*

To get those free tickets, you have to go to the arena the day of the house show and show your military ID.

I love them! Some of the facts are fascinating and it really hits home that WWE is just that damn huge. Being in England, it's never been quite as big over here as it is in the States, so it always shocks me when I see how much of a big history it has. As for them being fake, I'm not sure they'd be able to do that, I'm sure some company would find a way to sue them for it.

The DYK segments are true. Being A publicly traded company any announcements like that are looked at. If they were to be false then you could end up with the SEC on your ass. That is why they word them the way they do. By saying episodic TV they compare themselves with the Simpsons or ER. Because shows like the Tonight Show or 60 Minutes are not considered episodic, they don't count even though they have been on the air longer.

As others have pointed out they are done not only for the fans but potential advertisers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back