David Haye - Can he become the next great Heavyweight?

jmt225

Global Moderator
David Haye has FINALLY gotten some attention back into the Heavyweight Division scene in boxing.

In a division that has been ruled by both Klitschko brothers since Lennox Lewis' retirement in 2003, David Haye has now exploded onto the scene, compiling a record for himself of 24-1 with 22 Knockouts. He's 6'3 with humongous muscles (click here to see him), and he's from the UK. He has pretty much everyone excited to see what he can do in future.

But, the question remains... can he defeat either one of the Klitschko brothers?

Like I mentioned, the Klitschkos have dominated the Heavyweight scene for years now, but they're not the most exciting fighters, so they don't get anywhere near the credit and recognition they deserve (also being from Germany and fighting there a lot doesn't help either). However, people still cannot deny the fact that both have been undefeated since 2004, and not only that... but no one has even given either one a run for their money. Every fight has been completely dominated by them, with their long reach and ability to use the ring to their advantage.

For David Haye to truly establish himself as Boxing's next great Heavyweight, he will need to at least beat one of these men. And it looks like he'll get his chance soon. Vitali Klitschko fights some bum at the end of May, while Wladimir knocked out Eddie Chambers a couple of weeks ago. So, that leaves a fight open for either one come August/September, and hopefully we get the one, potential two if Haye somehow manages to win the first one, heavyweight fight(s) that can FINALLY get people excited for. Chances are looking now that we will get it. Against which Klitschko has been undecided, but the percentage weighs in favor of Haye vs. a Klitschko happening not too long from now.

So, do you think Haye can do what no other Heavyweight boxer has been able to do in the last 6/7 years by defeating one of, if not both, of the Klitschko brothers? Can David Haye single handily bring glory and excitement back to the Heavyweight Division? Let me hear it...

yes of course he can,as you say he has the looks,the personality and charisma to be the next big thing in the division.i personally think he can beat both klitschkos(ukranian fighting out of germany btw) in wladimir we have the more athletic and younger of the brothers,but he also has a dodgy chin which would make this fight a ppv must as you know with davids style and 1 punch ko power he could take him out or be taken out at any time.vitali is a more mechanic boxer who has noticably slowed since his 4 year hiatus and has always been the more mechanical of the 2 bros.i worry about hayes chances against him though as he has an iron chin(see the lewis war where lewis a massive hw puncher threw fuckin bombs at him for proof)i just worry that haye would gas in the later rounds and would be there for the taking.

In conclusion whilst i can see haye beating both brothers,his better chance is taking on wlad as styles make fights.And i think that he would trouble wlads whiskers and ko him mid rounds.vitali meanwhile i could not see haye koing him i would favour a v.klit by ko although if the fight is held outside germany i could see haye using his speed to stay away from the power of v.klit and outboxing him ala valuev.

If anyone can do it right now, it would be Haye. He's got the size, the charisma and the over all attitude to make the heavyweight division exciting again. Most of all he has the skill. The Klitschko's have pretty much ran the division for almost a decade now. Not to downplay either of them, but I can list on one hand the amount of credible challengers in that amount of time. Now it's the same with boxing as it is with mma: there's always going to be the one guy that everyone says can change up the game. The guy that gets hyped out the ass. In some cases, they fail big time and are exposed for being mediocre talent. Other times though they prove that the hype was warranted. I think with Haye it's the latter. Hopefully he follows through because honestly the division hasn't been exciting for some time.

God I really hope so. David Haye is a great boxer, and I know for a fact he will give either brother a hell of a fight, and I believe he has a big chance in pulling an upset on one, if not both Klitschkos. In a way he's sort of a new Muhammad Ali. That's just my opinion. He's a good trash talker, good speed, and pretty strong. I mean come one, most of his fights come by way of KO or TKO. This is from a guy who came up from the Cruiserweight division. I believe this is David Hayes time to shine.

I think Haye probably could be the long awaited shot in the arm that heavyweight boxing has needed, but he needs an American contender to do it. Nobody cares about the division now, and beating either Klitschko in Germany isn't going to resonate around the big money American market. He is adamant that he will retire at thirty one though, which is only 18 months, and therefore about 3 fights away.

The problem is is that the only people that anybody cares about are the Klitschkos and there isn't an American challenger. To me, that means he has to beat both of them. I think to set it up he needs a big win by European standards. Samuel Peter is the obvious, and he should win, but Aleksandr Povetkin is in line for the next shot at Wladimir and undefeated. I'd say a win against him, and then Wladimir could set up a huge unification match against Vitali, and would be able to put heavyweight boxing back on the map, but only if he beats both Klitschkos.

I think Haye probably could be the long awaited shot in the arm that heavyweight boxing has needed, but he needs an American contender to do it.

I can understand that opinion. And personally, I thought Chris Arreola was the one to really become the next great American Heavyweight, but his loss to Vitali Klitschko set him back a bit. Regardless of that though, if Haye really wanted a big American Heavyweight to fight, I think Chris Arreola would by far be the best choice. Some people would probably argue for Kevin Johnson (who also recently lost to Vitali), but I think Johnson's a boring, arrogant piece of shit, whereas Chris Arreola is one of the most exciting Heavyweights there are right now, and I think he vs. Haye would be awesome fight.

Aleksandr Povetkin is in line for the next shot at Wladimir and undefeated. I'd say a win against him, and then Wladimir could set up a huge unification match against Vitali, and would be able to put heavyweight boxing back on the map, but only if he beats both Klitschkos.

Yes, as Tastycles just mentioned... Waldimir vs. Aleksandra Povetkin was announced yesterday, so right now if Haye is going to fight a Klitschko, it's most likely going to be Vitali after he gets through destroying Albert Sosnowski at the end of next month.

However, I really like Tastycles idea above to feed Samuel Petes to Haye, and then set up Waldimir vs. Haye (since Haye has a much better shot at defeating Waldimir than he does Vitali), since if he were to win that, Haye vs. Vitali would then be the biggest Heavyweight fight since Tyson/Lewis. But, the only problem with that is that it's kind of risky, plus it's really, really hard to be patient in a situation like this. Nevertheless, I think ultimately the risk would be worth it if it all went according to plan.

its all about the almighty $$ if he wants to fight wlad next he will.povetkin is a mandatory who has been a mandatory for about 15 months,he simply has to pay him step aside money like he did to ruiz for the valuev fight and he will be good to go.

I'm not so convinced about David Haye as the rest of you. You do realize who his last opponent was right? John Ruiz! That guy has been a joke for years and years. He's the guy James Tony and Roy Jones fought to try and establish themselves as heavyweights, and they were both natural middleweights. He's also the only guy I've ever heard of who lost a title in a fight, only to have it return to him by default. After being bested by James Toney, Toney failed a drug test after the fight coming up positive for stanozolol an anabolic steroid. As a result the boxing council gave the title back to Ruiz who went on to lose it to none other than Nikolai Valuev.

Other than that who has he fought? Jean-Marc Mormeck was a damn good cruiserweight, but this guy is admittedly a natural heavyweight who struggles to make weight at cruiser so that isn't as impressive.

Looking at his heavyweight resume outside of John Ruiz, he's fought Monte Barrett who wasn't really a great fighter. His big moment was when Wladimir Klitschko's corner man fucked up and closed his pores with vaseline causing him to overheat and melt down in 5 or 6 rounds as a result. Barrett had been taking an ass beating like everyone else does, he just happened to be the guy in the ring when Klitschko collapsed. It was even rumored that Klitschko may have been drugged, that's how rapid and sudden it was.

The next stop on this list of would-be champions and can't hack it's, is Don King sideshow freak Nikolai Valuev. Talk about a manipulative joke. It's based on this fight that some believe Haye could handle either Klitschko despite their size, but they are a whole other type of beast I tell you. Valuev is a big lumbering doofus. Sure he's big, but that doesn't mean shit when the guys punches are so telegraphed you could get a package via UPS right there in the ring telling you their on the way with time to spare. Not impressed, does him no credit.

There was another fighter named Ruslan Chagaev who kicked Valuev's ass, and went on to fight Wladimir Klitschko only to lose a 9th round TKO, his first loss. Up to then he had also been the WBA heavyweight champion, defending his title after contracting Hepatitis B and later suffering a torn achillies tendon. He is the guy I would have thought might have had the tools to beat one of the Klitschko's but as the record shows that just wasn't to be. Chagaev beat John Ruiz too as did Valuev.

Looking at all that, I have to ask what the big deal is? I've seen his fights, don't get me wrong, he's ok against the level of competition he has been fighting. But, the Klitschko's are too tall of an order. Wladimir is pretty quick for a heavyweight of his size, and more agile and smooth than most any big man I have ever seen. As we know he doesn't have the best chin, but damn if he'll let you inside that jab to find out. Don't undermine his power either, almost all his fights are won by TKO or KO. Vitali on the other hand is just too tough, too strong, and too smart. He doesn't have some of the natural athletic ability of his brother but he makes up for that with an iron chin, iron will, and an iron first hence the name "Doktor Eisenfaust". Both of these guys have evolved so well over the last few years it's ridiculous. Once Emanuel Steward got a hold of them and refined their crafts like he did with Lennox Lewis, they've been basically untouchable and that is reflected in their records.

If David Haye is going to beat either of them he is going to have to find a way to get inside, and I think the ticket would be working the body on these two. Make them protect their body, and the head opens up. The problem is that you have to be able to stop them from moving around you. These guys have the best footwork I have seen from a heavyweight since Ali, and that's saying something. The way these guys move their opponents around the ring, control the distance, and keep their opponents in the center of the ring is amazing. No, they don't move quite as smooth and gracefully as Ali did obviously their not going to, both of them are bigger than him. It's a tough job, and it doesn't look like there is anyone who is going to be able to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back