• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dating Sites

Decarow

WZ's Resident GameStop Advisor
I posted this in the Potluck because I didn't want any spamming in here.

Dating sites are pretty prevalent in this day and age. Some claim only desperate people use them. From my experience (I'm from MS), it seems most of the girls look too cliche to be on there. But in other areas of the world, those people look fairly normal.

I mentioned earlier that I had some experience on these sites. And it is true. I set up a few accounts looking to meet local women that would be cool to get to know and be friends with, maybe turning into a relationship. I found out a vast majority of the women want to just jump into a long-term relationship without really knowing the person. Kind of a turn-off.

You have match.com, christiansingles.com, okcupid, myyearbook, etc.

What is your opinion on dating sites?

Do/have you use(d) one before?

If not, why not?

If so, have you had any luck?

I won't ever use a dating site because it's just a rip off if you're using one of those pay ones, I would rather go to a bar with friends and pay for a drink or two for a girl.

I absolutely hate this ad for eharmony.com they play in Australia. It says out of all newlyweds, 2% said they met on eharmony. Now, you could also look at that as if you meet on eharmony, you have a 2% chance of getting married which is pretty fucking low when you look at that.

You really can't match people properly just based on clicking options for smoker, drinker, religion etc. People fall all the time for people they think they wouldn't normally go for. I wouldn't normally go for a Greek girl, but I'm dating one and she's so awesome, so I don't think dating websites would be that great in matching people properly.

The way they work it out is bullshit. nobody wants to go out with the female version of themself. I have never used one and I never will. It takes the thrill out of looking for the right person. Dating sites are normally last resorts so that means that everyone on there is skimming the pool so to speak. chances are the right person for you is already in your life. you don't need a website to tell you who is the right person for you.

I don't think it'd ever live up to meeting a girl who by no means fits you're typical criteria for the opposite sex, but you end up falling for them anyway.

I mean i like tall, leggy, brunette's with long hair, and my last gf was shorter than i'd usually like, had short hair as well (which i usually hate) and we had next to nothing in common. Still had a grat 2 year run though....

I think mostly, that dating sites are just there to exploit the socially inept or the desperately lonely. The ones you have to subscribe to anyway.

Plus i think it causes you to make preconceptions about the people you arrange to meet and then you have expectations as well, whereas i'd prefer to meet someone who catches my eye and learn from scratch what makes them tick, rather than having any background information whatsoever.

I met my ex on a dating site, we wern't together long but we were together. There are plenty of fully free options out there for dating sites (okcupid and plentyoffish being two of them) and I would never actually pay for a dating site.

They're a mixed bag, 80% are the same sort of generic "I like going to the gym" or "look at my profile pic from a clever angle I'm really fat" but the other 20% are genuine, honest and good fun. I'd rather meet someone that way than in a bar where either I'm drunk and my focus is boobs or she's drunk and when we meet up again thinks I was a lot more handsome than I was.

Though I do agree that PAID sites are there "to exploit the socially inept or the desperately lonely" for example take match.com they advertise 10million worldwide users, but how many of those pay? There are 10million with a profile but I'd estimate a few number actually pay, and what are the chances the person you want to talk to has a paid profile? Exactly. Paid ones are a con, 100% free ones can be very useful in certain circumstances.

I put a premium on compatibility so I can see why these sites appeal to people. Also, it's nice to have a place where everyone else's cards are on the table (i.e., you know they're looking for something serious and they're more than happy to let you know what they're looking for in a partner). On a personal note, I was just about to join one of these sites before something fell right into my lap.

I was single for four years before I met my fiancee. I definitely would have gone to a dating site but they weren't anywhere near as common then as they are now. I am very shy so meeting her was an absolute blessing because I would have been so unsure of myself meeting a girl through a site like that.

It feels weird for me. Knowing stuff about a person without actually knowing them. I can't really judge, but I won't use them. In person, I'm incredibly shy. But I'd rather make the choice of who I want to be for myself than to let others, let alone a computer, do it for me.

Why would the pay sites want you to meet someone you could be "compatible" with?, if you do then you stop looking, therefore you stop paying them for their services

As for my opinion on dating sites, only reason I would ever want to use one is if I was looking for "a quick lay" so to speak (if I were that kind of guy anyway), I'm a firm believer that you never find your "soulmate" while looking for her/him, those things seem to just kinda happen when you least expect them too, I can understand why people would use dating sites in hopes of finding someone though, being single can really suck for some people, though I would suggest if someone were to use a dating site, they'd be better off using a free one as opposed to one where they'd have to pay

[YOUTUBE]HcmnYGMAmzY[/YOUTUBE]

That video is one reason why it's a bad idea to go meeting people on the internet. Especially for women.

I see why it would appeal to some people. Say a single parent who doesn't have a whole lot of free time to just go out and meet people in bars or whatnot. But for the most part, I'm with Justin. You're probably not going to find the one for you if you're out intent on finding them. It's something that just has to happen on its own. Besides, is everyone always so perfectly compatible like these companies would have you believe? I certainly wouldn't want to date a female version of myself. I definitely wouldn't want to sleep with her.

I have no problems with dating sites but I am not the sort of person that uses them. I do know of people that are close to me that have used them and have had some success with them but I have never and likely will never use them. The main problem with them is that I cannot forge a connection with someone who I have met online in a dating site if I am to have a relationship with them. I need more than that; I need a deeper connection with someone who knows me and it has to be someone that I know and care about.

If I was just using the sites for sex, which I have definitely heard of, then I don't think I would really have so much of a problem with it. I mean, the women that are on these sites must be in a similar position to you to be on the site in the first place. For that reason, I guess it becomes easier to forge a connection because you know that they are interested in you sexually and that feeling is reciprocated by you if you are meeting with them.

For me though, dating sites are for people that don't themselves out there enough. Don't get me wrong, if people are having good experiences with them, then more power to them. However, nothing that can be accomplished on one of these sites cannot be accomplished with a little bit of confidence and a night on the town. I go out every weekend and sometime a couple of times during the week. It is all about putting yourself in the firing line and trying to meet someone. How many people are you going to meet in the comfort of your own home? None.

I know people who have used them and they would probably tell a different story than I and I damn the conclusion that a lot of people make when they say that it is just for desperate people. Really, I think it brings like-minded people together who want to accomplish the same goal. That has to be commended, I guess. However, it is just not the way I operate... It takes all the fun out of the chase.

I haven't used a dating site myself, but know some people that have. I'm not saying that I never would, I just never ended up going down that route as I've always been able to meet people in public face to face.

One of my best friend only dates people he meets from Dating sites, but he has alot of confidence issues and feels like he needs to get the girl to like him from the safety from the internet opposed to meeting a girl in public. That being said, all of his relationships tend to last a very long time so he must be doing something right.

Another friend of mine, actually its the brother of the friend I just mentioned met and married a girl who me met online.

I'm sure with internet dating you get both ends of the spectrum. You can get the desprate and creepy person, but you can also find your true love.

Well I think they are nice just for meeting people. I've met lots of girls on there. I've never dated any of them though. It's a good way to get connections. Start off as friends and then move on to something more. Unfortunately most of the girls want to date right away because they are a little desperate..

I am living proof that dating sites work. My wife and I met on eharmony a year ago, hit it off instantly, and got married in august. It does come down to luck sometimes, but if you are open to the idea of meeting someone online then it can happen if it is meant to be. I personally believe it is better to try moving from messages at the dating site to regular emails, then transitioning to phone calls and finally dates, from there. It is better to take it slow (within reason, since it happened pretty fast for me) because that way it is less akward or intimidating. I had used one before called Plentyoffish and did not care for it, but a friend told me to give eharmony a try and the rest is history. My advice for those wanting to try it is to be open and PATIENT. I went through over 600 matches (who all were a word that rhymes with "witches") before I found Steph. There may be someone out there on that site for you, keep looking and hang in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back