Dana.. It's time for Bones..

Y4J

Occasional Pre-Show
You know, when people started telling Dana about Jones getting a title shot he said (Paraphrased a bit) that he wants Jones to have a year or so of fights before being thrown big names.

I'm sorry Dana, but after this next win (Which I believe will happen) it's time to step this kid up.

He's beaten Hamill (Yes lost by DQ, but he was beating him) Vera, Bonnar, so it's time to push this kid to the top.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tito or Griffin get Jones next after this. Or maybe little Nog since Nog "Won" his last fight.

I'd pay to see him fight Jackson haha. But not sure that will happen yet?

Opinions?

I agree. The guy is popular with the crowd, he's a an amazing/fun too watch/explosive fighter. He sort of reminds me of Manny Pacquiao. Never has a boring fight, always pushes the pace, and not afraid too do some crazy shit! Hell I know he can beat most of the big names of the division. After his next fight, I say, give him Bader, Griffin, Thiago, or maybe even Rampage. That's a money maker right there. All of these fights can be exciting and Johnny Bones has the skill, raw power, speed to beat any of these guys.

I agree as well.

If/when Bones wins on August 1st, he should most certainly get a step-up in competition. Who exactly? Well, the first name that comes to mind for me is Randy Couture.

Couture has a wash away fight with James Toney, in which he should win very easily, just as Bones should win easily a couple of weeks before that. So that's one thing... they're fighting very close to each other and both would be ready for another fight a couple of months after.

Now, why I think it's an important match that should go down... Couture needs to beat a legitimate name right now and there's NO ONE with as much hype going for himself as Jon Jones. If Couture could defeat him, that would instantly put him in the title picture.

For Jon Jones... the good things that would come with beating a guy like Randy Couture doesn't need to be mention; it truly speaks for himself. However, and here's what counts the most... if Jones lost to Couture, it wouldn't really put a damp in his career. Would it take away some momentum? Sure, but not a whole lot, just a tad.

So, yeah... I think Couture is the perfect match-up for Bones next for those reasons. Couture is looked at as a fucking machine who doesn't age, not washed-up like every other true "legend" in the sport. And a win over a real legend is all Bones needs to be legitimatized and considered to be a top 10 Light Heavyweight.

I've personally never seen Jon "Bones" Jones fight a pro UFC/MMA fight, however as I've seen and heard about him people seem to think he could be the next best thing in the Light Heavyweight division, so if he is so good, and is 10-1, why not give him stiffer competition? You gave Lesnar a title shot when he was just 2-1. I'm not saying he should get a title shot nor am I comparing the two but what I am saying is why not give him tougher competition.

Now as jmtsaid, Randy Couture could be a good fight for the the rising Jones.
However if he were to lose, I don't think his career would take that big of a hit, like what was said, it might tamper it a bit, but not totally.

Another guy I wouldn't mind seeing a fighting against Ryan Bader, who I like very much since seeing him on The Ultimate Fighter, that fight could potentially separate the two to see who gets to advance in the division.

I'm scared that Randy is going to go into this fight and Toney is going to rush him and catch Randy. I hope Randy takes him down and just ground pounds him. Cuz if he beats Toney, Toney is going to go ape shit lol.

I would have rather seen Toney fight Roy.

But I agree, Couture and Bones would be awesome. Really test both of them.

Am I the only who thinks that Couture is the most over-rated athlete in MMA history? The guy has basically lost one fight for every two that he's won. His record is pretty average when you look at it from any other lens than the Couture nuthugging one. I get that he does things at a later age but people need to remember that he didn't even start fighting until he was 34 so that was bound to happen. Not to mention he's retired more times than Brett Favre. I know many of you will consider this a cardinal sin, but I think he's over-hyped. Out-wrestling Sylvia for 5 rounds isn't a major accomplishment in my books. Personally, I thought he lost that Vera fight. I certainly don't know HOW it was a UD.

As it presently stands, Couture won't be winning the LHW title from the new crop of fighters. His chin won't hold up against strikers like Rua, and his wrestling isn't going to be as effective against master planners like Machida and Rashad.

As to the thread subject, give Bones someone like Thiago Silva, Rampage, hell, I'd like to see him and Franklin. Franklin has a new home at LHW and is still green to the division. I know that he's a former champ at MW but we don't know how he's going to fare at LHW and it would be a good fight to assess his standing at LHW as well as a true test for Bones. Franklin should be healed and ready to go back to training (provided doctors say that he won't need surgury) by the time Jones is done fighting and this fight would make for an awesome co-main event.

Am I the only who thinks that Couture is the most over-rated athlete in MMA history?

I think most understand that Couture isn't truly a "great" fighter parse; it's just that he's a fan favorite. People LOVE the guy, and rightfully so. He's a stand-up dude and one of the nicest guys in the sport. What's not to love about him? Also, the fact that he's only a few years away from being 50, and the shape he's in and the fact that he can still go out there and compete... that's pretty fucking impressive. People respect him most for that, but I do think most realize that he shouldn't be classified with guys like GSP, Anderson Silva, Fedor, etc.

So, no... he's not "overrated," he's just loved by most MMA fans; however, the majority of those fans I think realize that he's not the greatest of all time or anywhere close to being so.

I think most understand that Couture isn't truly a "great" fighter parse; it's just that he's a fan favorite. People LOVE the guy, and rightfully so. He's a stand-up dude and one of the nicest guys in the sport. What's not to love about him? Also, the fact that he's only a few years away from being 50, and the shape he's in and the fact that he can still go out there and compete... that's pretty fucking impressive. People respect him most for that, but I do think most realize that he shouldn't be classified with guys like GSP, Anderson Silva, Fedor, etc.

So, no... he's not "overrated," he's just loved by most MMA fans; however, the majority of those fans I think realize that he's not the greatest of all time or anywhere close to being so.

Couldn't agree more, its not that people think he is the "Greatest Fighter in the UFC/MMA", its that people that love the guy and want to see him win. Like jmt touched on, the guys almost 50 freaking years old and he is still fighting, plus his whole career has been one big Class Act. Hes tough to hate, which means that people will want to see him win. Add in the fact that he actually does win more often then not (has slowed down lately) just furthers the love the fans give the guy.

I guess I see it slightly different. Boxers and fighters compete all the time at late ages. Granted Couture was HW champ at a later age, but Holyfield did this as well, and so did Foreman. I dunno, I've never been a Couture fan, so maybe I'm just not as enamored by his late-in-life accomplishments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back