Damien Sandow face turn?

Jstrike

Pre-Show Stalwart
Well here's another thread by me, i have been told on many occasions that i make to many topics, but no one else seems to be making any.
so the topic of the day is sandow gonna cash in.
so if sandow cashes in and rvd is gone. and with christian injured it looks like the del rio vs sandow but who turns face? del rio was a good face but is it to soon?should sandow get a new gimmick and become a face? would sandow be a good face? or would you prefer del rio?

Sandow is a natural heel. Del Rio, I have no idea where he is best used. But as for Sandow he should and always stay a heel while he is in this character. The use of big words, his overall attitude, does not sit well with the WWE Universe and he will always be a heel for it. Take Jericho when he slowed down how he spoke and he used big words to make the audience feel not as smart as he was. It made the fans hate him and that's where Sandow could go. I do find him very funny at times but overall he makes a great heel.

As for a title run, I think this is where you have new main event guys step up. Or you have Ziggler make it back into a title picture. Give Del Rio one rematch and that be it. He doesn't need to be in the title picture, it just hasn't worked, the heat on Del Rio is gone and I personally don't care when he's on TV anymore.

agreed. keep Sandow as a heel for the next few years. I believe he has all the tools to have a good run as a top heel, something that is missing in the WWE these days (outside of the McMahons)

Everything about Sandow's character from his mannerisms to the way he carries himself to even the way he holds a microphone, which is like someone might hold a glass of brandy, practically screams heel. In order for Sandow to be a believable face, a new persona would definitely be needed and, in my opinion, WWE hasn't gotten nearly as much out of the "Intellectual Savior of the Masses" as they can.

I ultimately see Sandow successfully cashing in the Money in the Bank briefcase before this year is out, becoming World Heavyweight Champion. I'd be a lot more excited about that prospect if WWE wasn't using the heavily over used formula of tearing Sandow down so he can be built back up again after winning the title. It's a formula that can work, but WWE's employed it far too often when Money in the Bank is concerned. As of right now, it's also looking like Cody Rhodes is finally going to be given the opportunity to reach that next level in his career. Generally speaking, I see Cody Rhodes challenging Sandow for the title at some point, possibly at the Royal Rumble or at WrestleMania next year.

I can't even imagine a heel Damien Sandow. Everything about him, as Jack-Hammer has pointed out, from his attire to the way he walks to the way he even holds a microphone screams "Hate Me". If Sandow is going to be a face, he will have to change everything about himself.

Probably even his facial hair, too, 'cuz that is the beard of a heel.

Del Rio should turn face because he isn't going anywhere as a heel right now. Or you could let a heel face a heel. It's happened before. In fact, that might be perfect for Del Rio and could help him cross over as somebody the fans will root for.

I think sometimes we confuse the term face as being an attribute of someone who only espouses the purest of virtues. The second you become likable, no matter what your moral alignment may be, you become a face. Stone Cold was a face (in the states) when he kayfabe broke Bret Hart's knee, Eddie Guerrero was a face when he cheated to give Mr. Kennedy his first loss and Ric Flair was a face when he made the low blow part of his usual repertoire.

Damien Sandow a face? Easy. Just give him a righteous cause that passes as justifiable. They may have to allow him to pull off something clever, maybe he makes a vague prediction that comes true or has a huge on-screen falling out with HHH and manages to exploit the fine print of a random legal document (maybe HHH's marraige license). Give him something that shows off a profound amount of insight into the particulars of law or politics without drowning it in detail and maybe give him Lord Steven Regal's old gimmick of being able to figure out how to reverse any move.

It's my understanding that he attended Worcester University, I don't know if he graduated with anything significant. Maybe he suddenly changes his tone if they do a show in Massachusetts and becomes a more serious character while espousing a love of the pursuit of knowledge. They could make him the posterchild of a stay in school campaign. It's a longshot, but I'm really hoping that the WWE might change his theme music to Escape by Craig Armstrong.

Either way, his character has honestly grown on me. His sleight of hand when he was doing the classic shell game scheme on Shaemus was spot-on, and it takes a hell of a lot more talent to play a sophisticated thug. He seems to have good psychology in the ring. If they're going to let him have the belt under any circumstances, they need to give him some better moves or at least a better set-up for his finisher.

Sandow is a great heel using the Nick Bockwinkle formula. He needs to start calling people plebeians, that would be great. I'm sorry, but Sandow as a face would be terrible, just like how Lanny Poffo was a much better heal.

I never thought Sandow was going to cash in last night, because Alberto Del Rio is a bad guy and I can't remember a time a heel cashed in on another heel, although I might be mistaken.

As for Damien Sandow, it's true that everything in his current persona screams "heel," but it's also true that anyone who had a WWE career of any length eventually gets to play the other side of the fence. I couldn't envision Sheamus ever playing a face; yet look how good at it he's been. If Sheamus can do it, so can the Intellectual Savior.

But, like some others in this topic, I don't think the company has gotten nearly enough mileage out of Sandow's heel-dom ways. I suppose a lot of this determination has to do with how the MITB plans are to be handled.

One thing: I can certainly see Damien being the second briefcase holder to fail in his cash-in attempt. Just can't see him as a world champion. Not at this stage of his career, anyway.

Damien Sandow should not turn face. His character right now works perfectly. He uses big words and acts like he is better than anyone else. This is annoying to fans, thus he is getting a good amount of heel heat. Why make him a face or give him a new gimmick when this one is working so well? He should remain a heel for a very long time. Just have Alberto turn face and have Sandow cash in on him. That would be a great feud filled with good matches and promos.

I cannot think of a way that Sandow's character could possibly work as a face and I would rather them not give him a new gimmick. It works best as a heel and he's done very well with the character. The simplest solution would be to turn Alberto face as I already mentioned. Or have someone like Dolph win the belt. Either way, Damien is going to use his chocolate briefcase sooner or later and I predict he will be World Heavyweight Champion before Wrestlemania. There's no reason to turn him face as that would undo a lot of the momentum he has gotten under this stuck up heel persona. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, the old saying goes.

I never thought Sandow was going to cash in last night, because Alberto Del Rio is a bad guy and I can't remember a time a heel cashed in on another heel, although I might be mistaken.

Jack Swagger cashed in on Chris Jericho when both were heels, but that's been the only time.

I can't recall the last time someone has debuted to the roster as anything other then a heel. As Randy Orton has said, it's easier to be a heel, so given that logic, there's less pressure on the performer when they debut. Sandow hasn't shown he can truly get over as a heel without cheap heat(insulting the crowd), so how is he supposed to get over in a more difficult fashion, as a face? I can't see it.

Moreso, turning face would undermine the entire idea behind the gimmick, which is an intellectual who's smarter than you and I. Turning Sandow face would almost mean repackaging him, which he doesn't need right now. Although I don't see much in him, WWE obviously does.

If they didn't, I highly doubt he'ld be holding MITB right now.

Should Sandow get a new gimmick and become a face? Would Sandow be a good face? Or would you prefer Del Rio?

Those aren't the only two options, as there are others that could easily be brought into the World Championship picture. Big Show and Dolph Ziggler, for example, are men who are faces, have been involved in the main event scene recently, and have past history with Del Rio. There would be nothing wrong with Sandow cashing in on Del Rio, for example, as a heel doesn't have to cash in on a face. But if that's the issue, there are existing face superstars who could credibly take the title from Del Rio, only to be cashed in on Sandow, still a heel.

i read something saying that he would turn and boy am i upset nooooooo. Damien just has heel written all over him it would be very stupid to turn him face now, and just after being the reason cody rhodes turn face. Its waaaay to soon to have like a tag team match with cody and damien randomly teaming up as a face team and shaking hands after having a feud. It happened with miz and r truth last month, but they split loong ago, miz's face turn happened almost a year truths did. So If I were WWE, I would turn Del Rio Face again, cuz i actually enjoyed his face run. It happened to be the most exciting part of his career, way to soon to turn him back heel again tho which was upsetting. And Damien and maybe cena could have a feud after HIAC.

Sandow shouldn't turn face. If they're low on faces, they should try pushing the guys they already have.

Instead of turning perfectly good heels face, try working with the guys who are already faces. There's no reason for Zack Ryder, Justin Gabriel or Tons of Funk to be jobbing, Santino to be stuck carrying Khali, Yoshi Tatsu not to be properly utilized, Alex Riley to be commentating and not wrestling, or for Evan Bourne or Tyson Kidd to not be back on TV despite being recovered from injury if they need faces so badly.

"WWE will be turning Damien Sandow babyface soon. It was discussed earlier this year to have Sandow cash in his Money in the Bank briefcase but lose. That idea appears to be off the table now and it looks like a World Heavyweight Title run is in his future.

Sandow was reportedly told not to do cartwheels and singing any more, in part because that’s the gimmick for NXT’s Aiden English now. Word is that Vince McMahon feels if someone on the main roster is doing the same gimmick as someone in NXT, it makes the main roster guy look like an amateur."

Some of these posts make it seem like it takes the world to turn someone from face to heel it doesn't. Someone doesn't have to be repackaged - they can be but it isn't required. If that person already has mic presence and personality all it takes is storyline.

Example - CM Punk was a heel with the most hated heel manager. He arrogantly called himself "the best in the world" and put the fans down. All it took was a storyline of him clashing and eventually turning on that heel manager, along with playing to the fans and not putting them down, and he is a face. He even still calls himself "best in the world" something a face without a championship wouldn't normally do. Didn''t have to "repackage" him, just put him in a storyline that changed his circumstances. For Sandow, for example, you could just have him not appreciate how Cody Rhodes was treated, help him and Golddust out against the Shield, and Sandow would be a face right on the spot.

Back to this post, heel or face, Sandow just isn't being pushed properly in my opinion. I can't recall a Money In the Bank winner being pushed less and being more of a jobber than Sandow. He was put in a ridiculous angle with Cody (it has been pointed for years that battle royal type matches like MITB are every man for himself, yet he is vilified for turning on his friend to seize opportunity) and jobs constantly to RVD, Ziggler and even Christian. Get the MITB storyline over with already. Either have him lose it in a stipulation or have him cash it in and become champ (I don't think he'll cash in and fail). Some have said he isn't ready to be champ. I don't buy that. He is more ready than Del Rio was before Del Rio got his first title and about as ready as Daniel Bryan was before he first got the World Title.

While I agree Sandow is a natural heel, I would argue that so is The Rock. The Rock has always been arrogant cocky and a smartass, in the Nation, Corporation and solo. All he ever changed was who he directed his personality towards. Sure, Sandow antagonises the fans now with his intellectual boasting, but it could easily be turned on a heel and Sandow could actually get the fans on side doing this. In terms of PR I could see him going to schools encouraging studying etc saying he can outsmart his opponents because he studied hard in school.

Some of these posts make it seem like it takes the world to turn someone from face to heel it doesn't. Someone doesn't have to be repackaged - they can be but it isn't required. If that person already has mic presence and personality all it takes is storyline.

Example - CM Punk was a heel with the most hated heel manager. He arrogantly called himself "the best in the world" and put the fans down. All it took was a storyline of him clashing and eventually turning on that heel manager, along with playing to the fans and not putting them down, and he is a face. He even still calls himself "best in the world" something a face without a championship wouldn't normally do. Didn''t have to "repackage" him, just put him in a storyline that changed his circumstances. For Sandow, for example, you could just have him not appreciate how Cody Rhodes was treated, help him and Golddust out against the Shield, and Sandow would be a face right on the spot.

Back to this post, heel or face, Sandow just isn't being pushed properly in my opinion. I can't recall a Money In the Bank winner being pushed less and being more of a jobber than Sandow. He was put in a ridiculous angle with Cody (it has been pointed for years that battle royal type matches like MITB are every man for himself, yet he is vilified for turning on his friend to seize opportunity) and jobs constantly to RVD, Ziggler and even Christian. Get the MITB storyline over with already. Either have him lose it in a stipulation or have him cash it in and become champ (I don't think he'll cash in and fail). Some have said he isn't ready to be champ. I don't buy that. He is more ready than Del Rio was before Del Rio got his first title and about as ready as Daniel Bryan was before he first got the World Title.

The differnce between Sandow, Del Rio, and Daniel Bryan is that the latter two were fairly well known stars before coming to the WWE. Del Rio was a big name in Mexico and Bryan was one of the biggest names in the indy wrestling scene. Also Bryan and Del Rio are much better in ring workers than Sandow, so that helps them look like more credible contenders for the title.

The thing with a face turn is for it to truly work it has to be organic, you turn a guy the crowd are starting get behind in spite of the fact he's a heel, if you try to force it, it rarely works.

So far Sandow has limited heat as a heel never mind being over enough as a heel that the fans start turning you face. Granted this is in part due to how he has been booked, but still, there's so much more he can do as a heel right now, I can't see the point in a face turn, especially with Cena back, Punk and Bryan mega over and Cody developing well as a face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back