• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Create a WCW vs. ECW PPV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf Pac

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Okay so lets say Paul Heyman, Eric Bischoff & Ted Turner all came together back in 1999 and agreed on a WCW vs. ECW PPV to benefit everyone and to also stick it to the WWF at the time. What matches would you book on this dream WCW vs. ECW PPV?

I'll start off and this would be a 5 hour PPV due to 19 main card matches...

Main Event: Sting vs. Rob Van Dam
The reason why I put this as the main event even though my following matches are more important, is because these two guys were the top fan favourites of their respective companies, so this would be like the equivalent of a World Championship match and ECW tended to have some random main events on some of their PPV's times, so I figured I'd like mine to end on a random main event also.

"Hollywood" Hogan vs. Mike Awesome
Both were big men and Awesome had risen to the top of the mountain in ECW, so only makes sense the top dog of ECW face the top dog of the entire wrestling world.

Goldberg vs. Taz
I paired these two together cause they were the dominators of their respective companies, the top badasses of the companies.

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Sabu
Both these guys were crazy wrestlers, so they weren't really hard to pair together plus they are both aerial, so it's a total match.

Lex Luger vs. Masato Tanaka
It would be interesting to see the 'never give up' attitude of Tanaka go up against the powerhouse style of Luger. I can just imagine Luger dominating this match and knocking down Tanaka with a Running Forearm then Tanaka getting back up slowly with all his will power after everything Luger has put him through as Luger looks on shocked.

Ric Flair vs. Shane Douglas
Well this is a no brainer as these two have had animosity over the years and a match around 1999 when both guys were at the top of their game would've made for a better match than the one they had in WCW one year later.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Tommy Dreamer
This was a random pairing really but like Sting & RVD, they were top fan favourites and they both bled, sweat & breathed WCW & ECW like no others have.

Scott Hall vs. Sandman
Another no brainer, both are drunks, so this was the easiest matchup to come up with.

Balls Mahoney vs. Kevin Nash
Was trying to think of a big man for Kevin to take on and the only one in ECW I can remember coming close to it was Balls Mahoney. Well there was Big Sal but Balls was a bigger name.

Scott Steiner vs. Rhino
Powerhouse vs. powerhouse, nuff said.

Curt Hennig vs. Steve Corino
Would be a good ol' oldschool technical match.

Harlem Heat vs. Dudley Boyz
I know Booker T was solo in 99 but for this match, I would've teamed up him with Stevie and this is a dream tag team match afterall.

Raven (WCW) vs. New Jack
Well even though Raven was more renowned for ECW, I would have him on WCW's side for this one and a match with New Jack would've been a helluva of a hardcore match. Shame they never faced off before.

Chris Benoit vs. Jerry Lynn
This would be a technical masterpiece.

Chris Jericho vs. CW Anderson
Random pairing, couldn't think of anyone else for Jericho.

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Kid Kash
This would've been a crazy highflying match that spilled everywhere in & around the ring.

Dean Malenko vs. Lance Storm
Another technical masterpiece & submission masterpiece too.

Ultimo Dragon vs. Yoshihiro Tajiri
The stiff kick exchanges between these two would be awesome to see and you'd also get a lil bit of technical & highflying action with it too.

Eddy Gurrerro vs. Super Crazy
This would be a super crazy (pun intended) opener for the PPV.

Dark Matches:

Buff Bagwell vs. Justin Credible
Couldn't think of anybody else for Justin to face but they both aren't anything special in the ring and I'd say the only similar between them is their cocky, arrogant heel persona, that's it.

Madusa vs. Jazz
You'd see a good womens match here.

Billy Kidman vs. Nova
Both men were mediocre when it came to personalities but in the ring, they could provide a decent highflying match together.

Perry Saturn & Kanyon vs. Roadkill & Danny Doring
Filler match.

Juventud Gurrerra vs. Little Guido
Random pairing but we could see a little bit of a technical & highflying match here.

Psychosis vs. Spike Dudley
Highflying match but from Psychosis' name & Spike's style back in ECW, this match would be "psychotic".

My main problem with your card is that most of these guys were too similar, either in style, or gimmick. The two matches in your lineup that I would want to watch anyway are Lynn v Benoit and Kidman vs nova. Both matches would have been really fun.
Although, I would also like to have seen Steve Corino v Ric Flair, and it has the same problem.
Goldberg v Taz would be a joke. The size difference is too great.

I would give you an alternate card, but I would need a list of who was where in 99 in order to do so, and I am not inclined to look it up right now. But if you go back a few years, I would have loved to see the original triple threat v the wolf pack when the NWO angle was fresh. The eliminators vs. Vicious and Delicious would have been cool, too. Or the rvd and sabu vs the steiners.

How about disco inferno vs al snow? That could be fun. For sheer jingoism, you could throw in the FBI vs the American males, maybe?

The more I think of it, though, I think I WOULD like to have seen jazz beat the pride out of madusa. Or even better, lash larue.

Lets see, Jericho, Guerrero, Malenko, Benoit, Mysterio got their starts there and its where Austin started to turn into what he was but yeah they didnt match up. Where did Eric Bishoff run to when he needed talent, ie Raven or Mike Awesome? ECW. Those matches would of been good nobody said they would be Savage Steamboats did they? Go troll on another topic.

(Typical ECW bashing rhetoric)

Right... because the only things ECW had were unlimited tables, reams of barbed wire, and a bunch of guys too stupid for their own good :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic...

Though an interesting idea, my initial reaction was also that too many "like-style" wrestlers were pitted against each other on your card. History tells us that this is usually a recipe for disaster. I point to zero dollar feuds like Warrior/Hercules as a prime example.

If I had to come up with my own card, it would be as follows:

Main Event: War Games - Team WCW (Flair, Luger, Sting, DDP, Goldberg) vs. Team ECW (Dreamer, Shane Douglas, Sandman, Sabu, Taz). Much emphasis on the whole WCW vs. ECW feud would be how ECW represented the future and innovation, while WCW was stuck in the past. Likewise, WCW would play to the fact that it is a heavily tradition-based promotion and ECW was a fly-by-night sham that shouldn't even be calling itself "wrestling."

The story told in the War Games match would benefit both companies. WCW would show that even though they are heavily based in "wrasslin" roots, they can take it to "the extreme" if necessary. ECW would show that they can hang with the "Big Boys" and even one-up them sometimes in one of the most grueling matches in the company. I see WCW ultimately coming out on top, but much respect gained by both promotions for each other.

Shoot of the Century: Eric Bischoff vs. Paul Heyman - I'm sure these guys have a LOT to say to each other as their animosity towards one another runs very deep. They've traded barbs in a very indirect manner on various home video releases and shoot interviews. I think putting them in a one-on-one setting with a respected moderator asking pertinent questions is a license to print money. The general topic? The current state of the professional wrestling business.

Who's the best tag team in the world?: The Dudley Boyz (BuhBuh Ray and Devon) vs. The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott), two out of three falls. This match would be booked to have the Steiners as the WCW tag-team champions, with the Dudleys naturally holding the ECW tag-team title holders. Belts wouldn't be on the line, but given the two teams history in WCW, ECW, and other promotions around the world the winner could lay claim to being the best tag team in the world.

Innovators or Imitators?: The nWo (Hogan, Hall, Nash) vs. The bWo (Richards, Nova, Meanie). Richards has shown that he can rise to the occasion when put in a main event role. What better environment than against the greatest star in the history of the business? Buildup is much like one would expect... the bWo is a shoddy parody of the greatest faction the wrestling world has ever known, and not even a funny one. At some point, the bWo drops the straight-imitation angle and starts taking the match very seriously. Match itself is very competitive, with the nWo members getting a better match out of the bWo than anyone could've hoped for. Richards hits a Stevie-kick out of nowhere on Hogan for an extremely close, breathtaking 2 and 99/100ths count. Match probably ends with the nWo over the bWo.

As far as the rest of the undercard, I see a lot of the cruiserweights being highlighted. In all honesty though, I can't see their being many matches on this to fill a 3 hour PPV. The main event would probably go 45 minutes to an hour in itself. Dudleys vs. Steiners would be given sufficient time for all three falls to take place (30-45 minutes) and the nWo/bWo bout would be given at least 15 minutes to tell the story that the bWo are not just a rip-off, but there is some legitimate talent there.

Psychosis vs. Spike Dudley

This would be a good, entertaining match. Spike would win. Even though he usually performs better against performers bigger than him. Psychosis is not used to facing cruiserweights like Spike and Spike would take it, probably with the acid drop.

Juventud Gurrerra vs. Little Guido
This would be a solid match and an entertaining 8 minutes or so. Juventud would win.

Perry Saturn & Kanyon vs. Roadkill & Danny Doring
Filler match.

Perry Saturn and Kanyon win in about 6:45 minutes.

Billy Kidman vs. Nova
This would be a fast paced and entertaining match but Kidman would pull away towards the end and win with the shooting star press about 8:30 minutes in.

Madusa vs. Jazz
This actually would be a good woman’s match. Nice booking. Jazz would win though. She was younger and more fierce and could hold her own against men during this period. Madusa was past her prime.

Buff Bagwell vs. Justin Credible
No idea why you put Justin Credible in the undercard, but Credible would win this match in about 5:41 minutes with the That’s Incredible.

Eddy Gurrerro vs. Super Crazy

This would be a super crazy (pun intended) opener for the PPV.

This is excellent booking because this would be a PERFECT opener. This is the type of opener that either WCW or ECW would open with in their own PPVs, and Eddy Guerrero was also in ECW so this would definitely have a purist ECW type of feel to it. In fact this match feels almost like ECW past vs. ECW present (in 1999) . This would be a great 13 minute match, but Guerrero takes it after several near falls, probably with the frog splash.

Ultimo Dragon vs. Yoshihiro Tajiri
Another great match that could steal the show. Tajiri wins in 10 minutes.

Dean Malenko vs. Lance Storm
WHOOOO! This match would be PERFECT! This would indeed be a technical masterpiece and a CLASSIC. I see this being the first match to crack the 20 minute mark. I think Lance Storm would be the favorite hear and would seemingly have Malenko beat many times and even have some help from Dawn Marie, but I think Dean Malenko would win in an UPSET. I can see Malenko getting the cloverleaf locked in at some point and Lance Storm tapping out. I think Storm would have slightly more offense in the match, but Malenko would pull out an upset win…probably the first upset of the night. Malenko matches up very well against Storm.

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Kid Kash
This would be crazy but Mysterio would take it, hands down, in about 9 explosive minutes.

Chris Jericho vs. CW Anderson
Wow, some of your matches are huge hits and others are terrible, terrible misses. But then again this is 1999 so Jericho wasn’t the superstar that he is today so I guess I could let this slide. Anyway, Jericho wins in about eight minutes, but CW Anderson gets a very close nearfall with the spinebuster.

Chris Benoit vs. Jerry Lynn
Wow this would be amazing. Benoit wins with the crossface in an amazing 15 minutes.

Raven (WCW) vs. New Jack
Raven would win. This does indeed feel like an ECW match. I see what you’re doing, though…Raven was the most hardcore performer and personality in WCW at the time, and New Jack was New Jack. It would be “Raven’s Rules” of course and would get out of control, but Raven would win in about 8.15 hardcore minutes.

Harlem Heat vs. Dudley Boyz
This is a dream match….hard to pick a winner. The art of the dream match is all or nothing. See, if this was the first time they faced in the same company, Harlem Heat might win the match but Dudleyz would win the feud. But since this is all or nothing…I think the Dudleys would win it with some trickery/weapons…they’d hit the 3D on Stevie Ray probably, too.

Curt Hennig vs. Steve Corino
Old school and technical indeed. No way Corino goes over Hennig, even though Corino ended up getting a monster push around this time. Henning wins in 7:40 evenly fought minutes.

Scott Steiner vs. Rhino
Steiner wins in 10 minutes. It wouldn’t be with the Recliner though. I don’t see Rhino tapping to that. Maybe Rhino goes for the gore and misses and hits his head on the buckle or something and then Steiner does a belly to belly for the win. Something like that.

Balls Mahoney vs. Kevin Nash
This would be a fun match, but Nash would win in about 6:50 minutes, even though Balls would have more offense. Nash would hit the big boot and jackknife unexpectedly and win the match.

Scott Hall vs. Sandman
Funny concept. Very interesting to see who would win. To tell you the truth I feel a strong “cop out” feel in this match. Not from you end as the booker, but I think that if this happened, the writers would cop out and have some kind of no contest where they brawl in the audience and the ref throws it out or some crap like that, ya know? But if something HAD to give…hmmm….I think Hall would win in some unexpected/odd way that does not include the Outsider’s Edge. It’d go for about 9 minutes.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Tommy Dreamer
Great concept! They both lived and breathed their respective brands. Both men would definitely enter this match with a lot of pride. But I’m sorry, even tough Tommy has more love for ECW than anybody has ever had for any company, DDP hits the Diamond Cutter and wins in a 15 minute war. Dreamer then cries in the ring, thinking he let down ECW, but gets an ovation for his effort from the ECW faithful.

Ric Flair vs. Shane Douglas
Yeah this is definitely a no-brainer and would have to be done. Since this match could either way, as both men are very beatable and very sly, I think Shane Douglas would actually win. This is match is about more for Shane than it is for Ric, and Ric was past his prime in 1999…also, there would be politics involved, sine as you will see, I would think that WCW would win most of the big matches, so ECW would be due a win in this HUGE bout.

Lex Luger vs. Masato Tanaka
Luger wins in 8 minutes. For some reason I think that this would be a boring match. I don’t see these two as having chemistry at all. I see what you mean though about Tanaka having a never give up attitude against the bigger, stronger Luger. But Luger wins in a somewhat surprisingly dominating fashion, even though Tanaka would get hot at some point in the eight minutes and go on a roll.

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Sabu
HA HA! I love this match! It would go about 12 minutes and it would be crazy as hell! Sabu would make some daredevil mistake and Savage would follow it up with the flying elbow for the win. No way does Sabu go over Savage. No disrespect to Sabu, he was amazing. But I don’t envision him defeating Savage.

Goldberg vs. Taz
To me this is not only the best match on the card, but should be the main event. They were both pretty much unbeatable in their companies, particularly when Taz hit his prime. This would be extremely extremely interesting. I always thought that there was no getting out of the Katihajime (sp?) but I actually see Goldberg POWERING out of it, which nobody could ever do. And eventually he’d hit the spear and once he hits the spear that’s a wrap. He hits the Jackhammer next and I don’t care who you are, that’s match. The first 3-4 minutes would have them feeling each other out. Then Taz would take control with submission holds and ground and pound for about four minutes, then Goldberg would hit a few of his high impact moves and then Taz would lock on the Tazmission…and that is when Goldberg would break out and soon after the spear and jackhammer would follow. Match would go for about 10 electrifying minutes.

"Hollywood" Hogan vs. Mike Awesome
Hogan wins in a somewhat boring match that lacks chemistry. Match would go about 9:45 minutes.

Main Event: Sting vs. Rob Van Dam
Well, this would be a worthy main event, true, but Goldberg and Taz would be….wow. Anyway, let me begin by saying that in 1999 RVD was basically unbeatable. So this would be great, especially if RVD was still the TV champion. I think RVD misses the five star frog splash 25 minutes into the match and Sting follows it up with the Scorpion Death Drop for the win. I think that some politics would be involved, but I don’t see RVD going over Sting, even though he had more momentum at the time.

I give this card an A-, and a 9.0 out of 10 stars!

The Dudleys and Shane Douglas would give ECW their two biggest wins, I honestly think WCW would win most of these matches. Not because they were better than ECW, but WCW always had a "dream team" amount of talent due to Ted Turner's bank account, therefore that would translate to a lot of wins in a "dream match" one night only type of card.

This is a very interesting idea, but definitely tough to have make sense in some places. Here's how I would do it...

Opener
Steiner Brothers vs. Dudley Boyz
-Both teams were huge in their respective places. This is kind of a no brainer and would be a great way to start the show off with a kick.

Match 2
Scott Hall vs. Raven
-Both guys kind of had the "outsider" persona going for them, but in totally different forms. Somewhat similar wrestling styles.

Match 3
Chris Benoit vs. Taz
-Two vicious wrestlers. It would be a good technical match.

Match 4
"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Sandman
-No real reasoning behind this one, I guess. Just seemed like a good idea, plain and simple.

Match 5
Goldberg vs. Rhino
-The two brutes of each company. This would be an awesome, physical match. In the storyline, have Rhino be seen as the only man who can really bring Goldberg down.

Match 6
Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk
-The two older legends of each company. Yeah, it's happened before, but it's more of the idea than the actual match itself in this one.

Match 7
Sting vs. Sabu
-Two completely different styles of wrestling, but I think they would flow together nicely. Both were huge in their respective places.

Main Event
"Hollywood" Hogan vs. Rob Van Dam
-The two biggest names from each business. Totally different wrestling styles, but both great in their own right. Really base this one on each guy fighting for their respective company. A power struggle of sorts. Maybe a 2 out of 3 falls for this.

Here's what I would have enjoyed back in the day:

Ric Flair vs. "The Franchise" Shane Douglas
The real life heat would have made for an interesting back when it was fresh. I think Douglas even challenged Flair publically, too.

Sting (Crow version) vs. Raven
The ECW version of Raven for this match, he wasn't much more than a jobber in WCW.

Sabu vs. Rey Mysterio
When these two guys were younger this match would have been terrific. When they wrestled at On Night Stand the match was cut short, dont remember why.

Sandman & Tommy Dreamer vs. The Outsiders

Tazz vs. Dean Malenko
Both were in ECW, but Dean is most known for his WCW run. Plus they would put on a clinic, fantastic technical guys.

RVD vs. DDP
Battle for the coolest name abreviation

The Impact Players (Justin Credible/Lance Storm) vs. The Steiner Brothers

The Blue Meanie vs. Norman Smiley
Its big wiggle time!!!

Match 1: Eddie Guerrero vs. Sandman vs. Chris Jericho
The build up would be Jericho not being able to decided which side he would be on. Unable to choose, Sandman attacks him on Nitro. When Eddie comes out to help and kicks Sandman out of the ring, Jericho hits him from behind with a chair and says he doesn't need his help. The match would be a classic battle between Guerrero and Jericho, with some Sandman kendo stick action.

Winner: Chris Jericho

Match 2: Sting vs. Tommy Dreamer
The hardest workers from both companies go at it. The promos would be about what Dreamer would have done if he got the opportunities Sting did in WCW.

Winner: Sting

Match 3 Ladder Match: Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Sabu
Broken tables everywhere, high flying moves, and Sabu's blood covers the ring.

Winner: Sabu

Match 4: Goldberg vs. Rhino
Spear vs. Gore, the two powerhouses battle in a physical match up.

Winner: Goldberg

Match 5 Submission Match: Dean Malenko vs. Taz
A classic wrestling match, match ends with a Tazmission.

Winner: Taz

Match 6: Hall and Nash vs. The Dudley Boys
Promos include Hall and Nash dressing like the Dudley Boys. Spike would run out and cause Hall and Nash to lose a match. The match would end with the bwo rushing the ring and beating the crap out of Hall and Nash. ECW unites.

Winner: The Dudley Boys

Match 7 Falls Count Anywhere: DDP vs. New Jack
The match would end in a trailer park. It would be brutal.

Winner: DDP

Double Main Event

Match 8: "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. RVD
Two great in-ring performers. Would be the best match of the night. Savage would hit the elbow drop, take to much time, go for a second elbow drop and miss. RVD gets up and hits the frog splash.

Winner: RVD

Match 9 Fatal Four Way Elimination Match: "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk vs. Cactus Jack
Four legends battle for the title of "Greatest of all time." Jack would be the first to go when Hogan hits the leg drop while Jack is laying on a ladder. Next would be Hogan after being hit with a flaming branding iron by Funk. Flair and Funk battle with ropes and leather straps in an epic battle.

Winner: Ric Flair

Now this is a card that I would have payed to watch....

Main Event: War Games - Team WCW (Flair, Luger, Sting, DDP, Goldberg) vs. Team ECW (Dreamer, Shane Douglas, Sandman, Sabu, Taz).

Shoot of the Century: Eric Bischoff vs. Paul Heyman

Who's the best tag team in the world?: The Dudley Boyz (BuhBuh Ray and Devon) vs. The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott)

Innovators or Imitators?: The nWo (Hogan, Hall, Nash) vs. The bWo (Richards, Nova, Meanie).

Nice post there, "neildittmar."

The problem with a lot of these posters are that they are naming a lot of one on one matches and placing guys just because they ahd similar traits. First off, if you watch ECW back in 99, you know that there were not THAT many one on one matches at the time. A lot of the matches in ECW 99 were triple threat, tag, and clusterfuck matches.

Also there should be a lot more WRESTLING matches, as well as big name main event matches.

So you take the above matches and throw in some other interpromotion matches.

Would have loved to seen a 8 man luchador rules match. (No tagging necessarry when both opponets are on the floor.

(WCW) Malenko, Jericho, Rey, and Eddie vs (ECW) Mikey Whipwreck, Tajiri, Jerry Lynn and SuperCrazy

(WCW) Chris Benoit vs (ECW) RVD

New Jack would make an appearance somewhere on the card and clean house.

.......actually this is pretty hard to think of, just because I can't remember the rosters in 99. Anyone got a complete list?

I honestly don't think you people understand what the definition of a dream match is. A dream match is a matchup between two people with similar traits not different traits and without dream matches, it ain't gonna spark any interest in PPV's.

Extreme World Championship Wrestling

I love this idea!! Instead of just sticking with just 1999 (great year), I’m going to go with the complete history of both companies.

Natural Born Thrillers (Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire) vs. Danny Doring and Roadkill

The Steiner Brothers vs. The Public Enemy

EWCW Battle Royal, every Wrestler who worked for both companies, not already in a match to be the number one contender to both WCW and ECW Titles.
Mick Foley, Chris Jericho, Lance Storm, Rey Misterio Jr., Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Psicosis, Terry Funk among a few others that I can’t think of right now.

War Games match, Four Teams of Four
The Four Horsemen vs. New World Order vs. Dudleys vs. Blue World Order
I’m not naming each team’s members, but it will be those not on the card in other matches.

Arn Anderson vs. Rob Van Dam

Ric Flair vs. Mikey Whipwreck

Lex Luger vs. Taz

Booker T. vs. Rhino

Hulk Hogan vs. Shane Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads