Could WWE Be In Chael Sonnen's Future?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
The buzz of the MMA world for the past 1,5 days or so has been Chael Sonnen's announcement that he's retiring from MMA competition after failing his second drug test. In May of last year, Sonnen announced that he would like to buy WWE after retiring from mixed martial arts. Nobody really took Sonnen's boast seriously, even though his representative insisted that he wasn't joking. After WWE formally announced that the company isn't for sale after word of this got to them, they suggested that he purchase stock instead. To my knowledge, that was the end of the whole deal.

Sonnen has stated that he's retired and I figured it'd be interesting to bring up this little topic. As an MMA fighter, Sonnen is better known for having a big mouth than anything else. He's had 43 professional fights as a mixed martial artist with 28 wins, 14 losses and 1 draw. He's known to make bold, controversial comments during interviews and it's made him stand out as one of the better known stars on the MMA circuit. Prior to going pro, he was a highly decorated collegiate & Greco-Roman wrestler in college during the late 90s and early 2000s. According to celebritynetworth.com, Sonnen's worth $9 million.

While Sonnen mentioning some sort of relationship with WWE would generate a lot of buzz, I wouldn't see much coming out of it. Sonnen's too much of a loose cannon with a couple of skeletons in his closet. His drug test failures would set off some red flags alone, but he also pled guilty to money laundering as part of a mortgage fraud scheme in very early 2011. In agreeing to testify against others involved, he was fined $10,000 and received two years probation. Sonnen was a licensed realtor in Oregon and sold a home back in 2006. He told the title company to pay a plumbing company owned by Sonnen's mother for repairs, even though he knew they would not be carried out. After the mortgage company agreed to the loan, the plumbing company was paid $69,000 and, at Sonnen's direction, paid the home buyer $65,000.

He can't "buy" WWE as it's a publicly traded company and he doesn't have the money even if he wanted to. As a wrestler, aside from some buzz, I don't see Sonnen bringing all that much to the table if he did. He's 37 years old, has a history of using performance enhancing drugs, never wrestled a pro wrestling match in his life, has a huge ego and an even bigger mouth. I have a feeling it wouldn't be long before he stepped on somebody's toes.

Chael Sonnen's always one of the first guys I point to(along with Rampage Jackson) when people say MMA isn't competition for the WWE, or MMA doesn't hurt pro wrestling. It might not hurt them in terms of fans, but it sure as hell hurts them in terms of competitors. There are a lot of guys going into MMA that would've been pro wrestlers, and very good ones at that, 25-30 years ago. If Chael had gone into pro wrestling instead of MMA coming out of college, he would've been a star.

As for him coming into the WWE now, I think it would've been more likely if he retired a year ago. It's certainly still possible now - when the NSAC banned TRT in February, Chael said he might be forced to retire, and I said then that he could end up in the WWE - but one thing has changed. Last August, Fox Sports 1 was launched, and along with it came a weekly prime time show called UFC Tonight. Chael is a co-anchor of that show, and really enjoys doing it. He does it even when he's in the middle of preparing for a fight. I'm guessing he would have to give that up for any kind of full time role in the WWE, and I'm not sure I can see that happening. If he didn't have thst show, and retirement meant he was going to sit around committing petty crimes or whatever, I think the WWE would be a perfect fit...now, though, I'm not so sure.

Clearly, though, it's be a natural fit for the WWE. His drug test failures are more of a reflection of the failed system of drug testing in MMA(and he's far from the only one with issues with it), which I think the WWE can and does do a much better job of doing. They don't suspend guys because they didn't fill out the proper papers on time, or because a guy has a legitimate medical need for supplemental testosterone and can't figure out which drugs he can and cannot take after three years of trying. The WWE isn't going to ban a drug and then start testing guys out of competition for it, without telling them how to transition to something else or what they can use instead. So I have a hard time imaging Chael having issue with the WWE's substance abuse policy.

What he would do, of course, is sell fights and bring in viewers. While it's not a reflection of his real life personality, he has a way of hyping himself and his fight like nobody else. He would also make a great commentator, even if he decided not to wrestle or after he was done wrestling.

But again, while it may be a win-win situation for the WWE, I'm just not sure I see Chael doing it. I think he's content to stick with his studio job on FS1.

How cool would Chael be working the booth and/or managing someone? I bet with some work calling NXT for a year or two, he could be the next Bobby "the brain" Heenan with a dash of Jesse "the body" Ventura!!

I wouldn't mind it at all, TBH. And maybe they could even get him involved in some sort of Brock Lesnar angle to cater to the MMA fans a bit. Nothing is impossible with WWE logic, so I wouldn't put it past them at all.

Side note....Jack Hammer...you put up some great posts on here. What's your story? Are you a WZ jockey paid to post? A WWE agent here getting an idea of what the IWC is thinking? A fat guy named Francis who has an unhealthy love for Wrestling? Or just a passionate fan of sports entertainment? :)

Cheers!

I don't think there's much of a chance of this happening.

I don't think MMA has much pull in professional wrestling. As we've seen in TNA in their many dire attempts to garner some sort of relevancy in the wrestling market, they've repeatedly brought in mixed martial arts fighters such as Rampage Jackson and Tito Ortiz, which only hurt the product more than it helped. Unless Sonnen were to train properly, and be willing to go on the road, I think fans would take his presence in WWE as a cheap plug for whatever television show or project he has planned. It differed with Brock Lesnar because wrestling fans knew who Lesnar was when he left for UFC and when he retired from UFC.

Couple that with the fact that he can't control his mouth, has failed several drug tests and it's easy to guess that we won't see Sonnen in WWE. You can also add in that he has close association with CM Punk, and we've seen how WWE handles people close to CM Punk *cough* AJ Lee *cough*.

Chael Sonnen would be a very interesting piece to the WWE.. He is outspoken very brash and doesn't mince words at all.. He alone could easily out talk anyone on the WWE roster with no problem.. But his failed two drug violations would raise major red flags within the company..

Plus his fraud charges some three years ago are also a red flag.. I just dont see the WWE or him coming to an agreement at all.. But it would be interesting to see him sign with the WWE if that does happen

If they can make a match work with Lesnar then it could be pretty big at Mania but otherwise there is nothing Sonnen can bring. They have Shawn Merriman who will bring that "real sports background" in a year or two. He is known as a buddy of Punk's so a "trainer" role for Punk v Lesnar would make sense if he ever came back.

But the reality is that there are too many "red flags" as Pedigree1 said... 2 strikes in UFC means the guy isn't gonna clean up for WWE/fake wrestling... so he's a guaranteed Wellness violation... add to that conduct accusations when it comes to doing business and with the current concerns about WWE in general they will keep a WIDE berth... Now he COULD buy TNA... that might be interesting.

If he comes in as a talent, it really depends on the WWE Wellness Policy. Chael Sonnen needs Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT), which was banned lately in MMA. I do not see him wrestle though. He'd be perfect as a manager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back