Could We Accept a Celebrity to be a Royal Rumble Winner?

in response to the post directly above-

Actually it's not fair to generalize that and say celebs always make things worse cause they dont and there have been many times when celeb angles worked well

Besides Mr. T was at WrestleMania, the first one with Hogan in a tag match so you cant just claim it would suck before you even saw it and there are celebrities who could work a decent match

It's crap to think no celebrity could especially when you have The Miz as a good rising star after only being a reality star.

Those are two examples that kill that claim

Celebs can be great on WWE & anyone can be a good wrestler or put on a good match if they have the heart & passion.

I could see it happening if a celebrity entered instead of an injured superstar. the only other way that I could see it working os of they were to replicate the end of thi (I think) 2000 RR when the rock and big show eliminated eachother at the same time. that way a celeb and a superstar could start an instant fued to claim the win, which could help to build the celebs credibility as a wrestler, instead of them just being a gimmick. There is no way this could be considered anywhere near a success though, unless the celeb were to stay and perform after WM, for at least a few months

Actually it's not fair to generalize that and say celebs always make things worse cause they dont and there have been many times when celeb angles worked well

Fair enough, sometimes celebrity angles work.... but we aren't talking about any regular angle, we are talking about a celebrity winning the Royal Rumble.... which means they would be challenging the WWE Champion (or World Heavyweight Champion) at Wrestlemania. That spot belongs to actual wrestlers. To have a celebrity challenging for a world title at Wrestlemania sounds like opening up the door for another David Arquette situation....

Besides Mr. T was at WrestleMania, the first one with Hogan in a tag match so you cant just claim it would suck before you even saw it and there are celebrities who could work a decent match

You're right, he was. He tag teamed with Hogan though. It wasn't "Celebrity VS WWE Champion" FOR the championship. To say that any celebrity would ever deserve a Royal Rumble win over any wrestler would be wrong. Publicity or not. Now, matches such as the one you mention with Hogan and Mr T.... that I have no major problems with.

It's crap to think no celebrity could especially when you have The Miz as a good rising star after only being a reality star.

The Miz is on the WWE roster though. We're talking about celebrities, as in people NOT on the roster, winning the Royal Rumble. There's a difference.

Celebs can be great on WWE & anyone can be a good wrestler or put on a good match if they have the heart & passion.

They can sometimes, but that's not the point. My point was that no celebrity should win the Royal Rumble because that would mean they go on to main event Wrestlemania. As in, a title shot at the biggest show of the year. How does a celebrity deserve that honor? It would tarnish the legacy of the road to Wrestlemania by having a celebrity win the Royal Rumble because the wrestlers who put in so much hard work ALL YEAR deserve the chance of winning that opportunity.

To have someone not on the roster win it just doesn't feel right. Say some actor wins it. That would be like them giving out awards for that actor's movie(s) to a wrestler, when he didn't put in months of hard work into making that movie like the actor did. See what I mean? Celebrity involvement CAN work and you're right about that, but they should never challenge the world champions. Ever. Only other wrestlers should win matches like the Royal Rumble because it's something they work very hard towards in their career. THAT is why I would never accept a celebrity winning the Rumble.

The only way people would accept a celebrity winning the rumble is if it was an athlete. I could probably accept it more if it was a UFC fighter someone like Chuck Liddel, George St Pierre or Quinton Jackson. A normal celebrity like an actor winning would just be a joke in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back