• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Congressman calls evolution lie from 'pit of hell'

Moon Knight

Original Prince of Darkness
I don't normally post this stuff, but I found this impossible to resist. Looked to see if this has been posted and didn't see anything.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121006/US.Congressman.Creationism/

And here is a shock and a scary thought.

The Republican lawmaker made those comments during a speech Sept. 27 at a sportsman's banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell. Broun, a medical doctor, is running for re-election in November unopposed by Democrats.

More LOL's

Broun also said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days. Those beliefs are held by fundamentalist Christians who believe the creation accounts in the Bible to be literally true.

And something scary and sad

Broun spokeswoman Meredith Griffanti told the Athens Banner-Herald that Broun was recorded speaking off-the-record to a church group about his religious beliefs. He sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology

I've got several friends on Twitter from the UK that laugh at American politics because shit like this happens. Seriously, in what world is it ok for political leaders to be stupid enough to believe this shit?

I've got several friends on Twitter from the UK that laugh at American politics because shit like this happens. Seriously, in what world is it ok for political leaders to be stupid enough to believe this shit?
The American World! You anti-christ commie!

What gets me is he's on a committee for science, space, and technology. Perhaps he should step down from that position.

Барбоса;4153947 said:
Ah, the Mayflower. To think that its denizens still provide much of the religious outlook of America nearly 400 years later.

Rather hilarious.

I do find some amusement in how their curious definition of religious freedom has persisted.

There was a brilliant contrast in Anglo-US politics just a few days ago over here, when the newly appointed Minister for Health declared that he believed the abortion date limit should be cut from 24 weeks to 12. What followed was a massive shit-storm with everyone and their dog telling him to shut the fuck up and the Prime Minister (whom he works for and is in the same party with) telling him in no uncertain terms that it would not happen.
I wish the US was more like that, sometimes stupid people just need to be slapped down, regardless of whose side they're on.

This quote is something that would have really gotten under my skin up couple of years ago. A specific discussion came to mind where myself and a friend were debating evolution and after bringing forth all sorts of evidence his only response was "I don't care about your statistics, numbers, or evidence, because I know I am right," and he proceeded to just storm off. It was at that point where I realized there was just no point in trying to convince older generations because it is nearly impossible.

I really enjoy the way Bill Nye puts evolution in one of his shorts on Big Think.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbYJfwFgOU[/YOUTUBE]

There was a brilliant contrast in Anglo-US politics just a few days ago over here, when the newly appointed Minister for Health declared that he believed the abortion date limit should be cut from 24 weeks to 12. What followed was a massive shit-storm with everyone and their dog telling him to shut the fuck up and the Prime Minister (whom he works for and is in the same party with) telling him in no uncertain terms that it would not happen.
I wish the US was more like that, sometimes stupid people just need to be slapped down, regardless of whose side they're on.

That would be nice, but when you have crazy people in charge of a lot of state governments and crazy people somehow running the Senate while having a minority of members, it's not that easy.

I saw this yesterday (I think it was...or was it this morning?) and the truly scary part is that it didn't even surprise me.

The US and Republicans did when Republican Todd Akin made his ridiculous claims about legitimate rape.

I saw this yesterday (I think it was...or was it this morning?) and the truly scary part is that it didn't even surprise me.

The US and Republicans did when Republican Todd Akin made his ridiculous claims about legitimate rape.

I forgot about that. At least there was a point in there somewhere that event he GOP drew a line.

They did, but he's far from the only guy in the GOP who thinks rape babies don't exist. This image has a few choice quotes on the matter.

A1TJN74CQAA2QpV.jpg

Mitt Romney to John Willke said:
thank you for your support – we agree on almost everything, and if I am elected President I will make some major pro-life pronouncements.

I forgot about that. At least there was a point in there somewhere that event he GOP drew a line.

I'd cynically say they didn't so much draw a line as they did as throw him under the bus so they wouldn't be seen defending the fucking idiot.

It's a shame that there are a ton of devout Christians out there who think these people are nutjobs but you never get to hear from them.

It's a shame that there are a ton of devout Christians out there who think these people are nutjobs but you never get to hear from them.

Sadly that's the way it always is with politics and religion. The barking moonbats get all the facetime. The sane rational ones can't get a word in edgewise unless they too start acting like a bunch of screaming jackasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back